Type keyword(s) to search

Season 10 Spoilers, Speculation, and Stabs in the Dark!

• Start Topic

I too highly doubt the show is going to go that route.

There is no way MESSer is ever going to consider Reid good enough for her "Golden Girl"

What I am concerned is them maybe having it be another situation where he develops feelings for her that she in no ways is capable of returning.

If anything I really want Reid to stay guarded when it comes to this woman remembering that JJ has lied to him and the team more than once.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 1

MMC, after him lamenting earlier this year that what he wanted was for Reid to have a girlfriend and be happy, do you think they would go with him being rejected by JJ, yet again being pushed away by her, all the while suffering unrequited love? 

If they did this, I really would buy the theory that the writers are smoking crack….

• Love 1

moxiepip, there's another possibility, since Hotch is newly single, that she would glom onto him. *Urrrp*

I would no longer be surprised, as Rossi has already got his soap opera plot.

Rossi: I have a daughter I never knew about!

JJ: My PTSD is ruining my marriage!

Hotch: JJ, I've always loved you, I just never realized it until now!

Morgan: I have 2 months to live!

Garcia: I'm really a man!

Callahan: I can't remember why i'm here, I must have amnesia!

Reid: I'm gonna go have a coma now, wake me up when it's a wrap…...

LOL. You have won the Internet.

• Love 3

MMC, after him lamenting earlier this year that what he wanted was for Reid to have a girlfriend and be happy, do you think they would go with him being rejected by JJ, yet again being pushed away by her, all the while suffering unrequited love? 

If they did this, I really would buy the theory that the writers are smoking crack….

Normasm, if it were anybody else other than Erica Messer running this show, I'd say the chances of it happening weren't very likely. But since she is, all I can do is hope that she at least exercises some common sense when it comes to something like this.

• Love 1

Garcia: I'm really a man!

Would Morgan call Garcia 'Baby Boy" then?

If anything I really want Reid to stay guarded when it comes to this woman remembering that JJ has lied to him and the team more than once

Amen!

• Love 2

At the moment there is no redemption possible for her for me. I find my hackles rise at the sight of her. In any event I find that lately they are dealing with PTSD in a very lightweight almost trivial manner. If she is truly suffering from PTSD she would be removed from active duty for treatment. Instead Messer says glibly that it doesn't affect her performance of the job??? Remember Distress - that was how you portray PTSD. I am especially annoyed because they have only done it to appease the squealing mob of underage fans on social media. Grrr!

Yes, and think back to the pilot, Extreme Aggressor. Gideon had been on leave for 6 months for PTSD. Hotch was to evaluate his performance in the field on this case to determine if he could return to active duty.

• Love 3

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mega-Buzz-Blacklist-OUAT-Castle-1090591.aspx

Remember JJ's PTSD? She'll turn to Reid as her "sounding board" to get through it, executive producer Erica Messer tells us. "I've always loved their friendship and this will bring them closer together," she says. And don't worry about this triggering any PTSD for Reid — he's doing just fine these days. "Emotionally, he's going to be so invested in JJ's story," she says.

That doesn't even make sense--trauma-wise, he's probably got her beat.  Plus, she's married--shouldn't Will be the person she turns to?--and barely tolerates Reid.  Why is he "emotionally . . . so invested" in the story of someone who barely seems to tolerate him when she's got much more logical support? 

• Love 3

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mega-Buzz-Blacklist-OUAT-Castle-1090591.aspx

That doesn't even make sense--trauma-wise, he's probably got her beat.  Plus, she's married--shouldn't Will be the person she turns to?--and barely tolerates Reid.  Why is he "emotionally . . . so invested" in the story of someone who barely seems to tolerate him when she's got much more logical support?

I agree. She has support at home. He has NONE. How is he in such a better place?

• Love 2

If it gives Reid more than 5 minutes onscreen for the episode, I'll take what I can get. Then again, I think they feel like they have to whore Reid to get us to watch the JJ PTSD episode. They've done it once this season already...

• Love 6

If it gives Reid more than 5 minutes onscreen for the episode, I'll take what I can get. Then again, I think they feel like they have to whore Reid to get us to watch the JJ PTSD episode. They've done it once this season already...

I bet that is exactly why they are doing it. At first we were told that Hotch was going to be the one she turns to. Now all of a sudden it's Reid she is turning to.

• Love 3

I think they feel like they have to whore Reid to get us to watch the JJ PTSD episode.

Nope.  Not even for Reid.  There's a reason Youtube and recaps were invented. 

(Seriously, why would he be in a better place emotionally?  They've made it pretty clear that the only people he has in his life are his coworkers and his mother, who he's responsible for because of her illness.   Considering everything they've put the character through, with little to no good things happening to him?  He should be curled up in a ball on the floor sobbing and asking for someone to bring him Paddington.)

• Love 3

I'm fine with it.

I suspect it was because of MGG's acting choices more than it was the writing or direction, but we saw Reid being solicitous of JJ last year, when she was worried about her connection to Cruz coming out, and we've seen it again this year. In addition to some subtle reactions and eye contacts, we even got some dialog. So, for me, it makes sense, and I'm glad they've decided to play it out.

And, if it means EM has been paying attention to fan complaints, well, isn't that the point of making them? Why not be happy to have been heard?

• Love 3

Nope.  Not even for Reid.  There's a reason Youtube and recaps were invented. 

(Seriously, why would he be in a better place emotionally?  They've made it pretty clear that the only people he has in his life are his coworkers and his mother, who he's responsible for because of her illness.   Considering everything they've put the character through, with little to no good things happening to him?  He should be curled up in a ball on the floor sobbing and asking for someone to bring him Paddington.)

That seriously pisses me off. As if the stuff JJ has recently gone thru has been so much more traumatic then what Reid has gone thru. And why the F*ck doesn't she turn to her husband Will or, Hotch like she was originally suppose to do, and leave Reid the hell alone.

• Love 3

And why the F*ck doesn't she turn to her husband Will or, Hotch like she was originally suppose to do, and leave Reid the hell alone.

Because Will is boring and this way they can claim they did, too, focus on Reid. What are people complaining about? Now shut up and watch with Reid as JJ kicks down that door in her high heeled boots.

Edited by Mari
  • Love 2

And, if it means EM has been paying attention to fan complaints, well, isn't that the point of making them? Why not be happy to have been heard?

I said this upthread, so I'll try to keep from repeating myself too much.

The PTSD episode should go to Reid, IMO. He's the one who caught a bullet at the end of last season, and then one of his emotional supports got kicked out from under him when Alex left. Garcia was more concerned with soothing her own conscience than with bonding with him over the experience. Has she talked to him about it? Hell, has she talked to him about anything this season? I don't think she has. Morgan's wrapped up with his relationship with Savannah, which I'm only invested in in a tangential way, and therefore I guess doesn't have time to see how Spencer might be coping. And since I haven't liked the JJ/Reid 'friendship' since Proof, when Emily and Hotch (especially Emily) told him not to be mad, it's annoying that he's going to be her sounding board or whatever. Like, when was the last time she asked him how he was doing?

More than that, she's supposed to have a support system. Whatever I do or don't think of Will, he seems like a good partner since he has nary a word to say about her never being at home, particularly since being overly dedicated to the job was what broke up Haley and Aaron. Why doesn't she talk to him? And this is assuming that her experiences have been bothering her at all, since she's given no sign of it. Say what you will about Elle's breakdown, she gave more sign that she was troubled than JJ has. Besides, didn't Erica say that 200 closed the book on the events in Afghanistan or wherever? Why are we going here and doing this again, for JJ no less, while no one seems to be remotely interested in whatever emotional trauma Reid might still be feeling? It's dumb. And insulting. And dumb again.

• Love 5

Picking Reid for that role seems...random. It's stuff like this that confirms the show has no idea what to do with the characters, because as most of you pointed out already, JJ already has support options, most notably Will. You know...Will LaMontagne? JJ's supposed husband? Whom, I don't believe, we have seen once this season? Nor, if I am not mistaken, once last season? Gee, where is Will? Could the PTSD episode be the episode where...

*Daniel, don't say it...Danny...don't say it...I said Danny...oh go right ahead*

Could the PTSD episode be the episode where JJ finally breaks it off with Will?

*goes to the bathroom*

*distinct hurling noises are made*

*goes to the wine cellar*

*goes back to the bathroom*

*hurls again*

*returns to the computer*

Well, I guess having family drama might be a good opportunity for JJ to do something substantial and real for a change, even though it's annoying that the only storyline Erica Messer can seem to come up with are family ones. Then again, having a divorce would feel like a retread of Hotch's early storyline, but...then again it's realistic and if JJ and Will called it off, it'd give JJ a story to build on, instead of the show going back to the "same old same old" it would by just wrapping everything up with a nice happy bow at the end.

Because...darn it, if JJ's going to be a character worth her weight in salt...it's about time she deals with some adversity and something to actually build on and develop. Yes, it's three seasons too late, but better late than never.

As for Reid, if there's a silver lining perhaps JJ learns she was too dismissive of him earlier and learns to accept hardship and loss. After all, if Reid can suffer as much as he did and yet still come in to work every morning with a big, eager smile, that's something JJ can learn from, no?

• Love 3

Me personally am not thrilled about Reid helping JJ out. First off, they are pairing my favorite character with my least favorite character. Secondly, just how "emotionally invested" is Reid supposed to be in this story, because like it has been mentioned before, some of us definitely don't want Reid too emotionally invested in JJ, because I don't want the writers getting any ideas. *cough*ReidcrushonJJ*

• Love 7

I'd like to think that Reid does have a support group in the Beltway Clean Cops even if the show is not going to go there. Also, I think it does make sense for JJ to turn to Reid because he very clearly had PTSD, so he gets it and he's a bit more open about things than Hotch is when it comes to expressing emotions. Plus Hotch is the supervisor and if he thinks JJ's PTSD might affect her work, he might tell her to take time off and its something JJ might not want because then she'd have to actually sit at home and think about things instead of trying to pretend they never happened by focusing on work.

I wonder if MGG was just tired of the sad/angsty stories for Reid and he expressed that or if there is something else going on. I don't know what is going on behind-the-scenes, but I think they are probably steering away from Reid angst now. I think they just don't really know what to do with him, but I'm hoping he will get some decent screentime-- even if he might not get a lot of lines. He'll probably be mostly listening to JJ. But we will have to wait and see. I'm going to give it a chance.

Btw, Harry Bring said on Twitter that MGG will be directing episode 21.

• Love 3

I don't see this as a positive thing for Reid at all.  Messer is using Reid fans to prop up the ratings of what will be another suck-ass JJ-centric episode.  42 more minutes wasted on her precious shiny-haired princess.   It's essentially going to be Reid nodding sympathetically while AJ struggles to show any emotion besides disdain and constipation. 

Why in the world would Reid be invested in what's going on with JJ?  She has spent three seasons rolling her eyes at him and treating him like he doesn't belong on the team.   JJ doesn't treat Reid like a fully-functioning adult, let alone like a friend.  So why would she turn to him for emotional support?  This smells like BS all the way around.  

My only hope is that this switch from Hotch being JJ's support system to Reid being JJ's sounding board means that someone above Messer at CBS said use Reid more or else.  It's ridiculous to have a seven member ensemble cast where the name-brand actors and the talented actors are all standing on the sidelines while Messer pushes her Mary Sue princess to the front and center of everything. 

• Love 8

I think I have the kind of visceral reaction to Will that some do to JJ.  Ever since 'Mayhem' I try to shiver him away whenever he's on screen.  He didn't do anything to deserve it except never smile and constantly slur his words.  But it always feels slimy, and he gives me the creeps. 

Which is why I get that some people will never again be able to wrap their minds and arms around JJ.  So I understand if there's disappointment that a little Reid screen time will be shared with her.  For me, as a fan of their friendship, it's great news.

Forgive me if I'm pointing out the obvious, but I've  learned that some things are only 'obvious' to me:

• Reid might have PTSD from the Hankel incident, or from witnessing the death of Maeve, or even from the second attempt on his life in last year's finale,since he was aware of all of those things.  But his getting shot is very low on the list of probable causes.  Sudden, unexpected trauma to someone is more likely to produce PTSD in their loved ones, who experience prolonged periods of tension and distress, than it is in the recipient.  The recovery experience from a sudden trauma-----procedures, therapy, etc.---may impose PTSD on them.  But Reid was shot, treated and 'recovered' within 24 hours.  So, no, I don't think he would be getting the PTSD episode this season.
  •  
  • But he is a very likely candidate for JJ to turn to.  She knows he's had PTSD, from several different traumas.  She knows one of those episodes involved his captivity and torture, as did hers.  And---he's not her husband.  There's a reason there are support groups for things like this.  It's rare that someone gets through it simply with the support of their family.  It's far more realistic that JJ would reach outside her family, and to someone who's been through it, for help.  Even though Will is his own candidate for PTSD due to captivity, thanks to (the awful) 'Hit' and 'Run'. 
  •  
  • The JJ/Reid friendship has been portrayed to greater and lesser (mostly lesser, alas) extent since the first season.  Their argument in 'Proof' would not have happened at all if not for that friendship.  It was the betrayal of a specific, and more intimate, trust that got to Reid.  My guess is that we all know people who have fallen out with good friends over something.  Sadly, some of them have let those friendships die as a result.  None can claim to have behaved maturely in doing so.  I like to think that Reid is more mature than that. 
  •  
  • One of the challenges to the show is unavoidable.  JJ was traumatized by being held and tortured last year.  But she was also traumatized by her experiences in Afghanistan years ago.  Since the war experiences were only 'invented' last year, it was impossible for the show to give her retroactive PTSD from that earlier time.  So it will be interesting to see if they somehow try to incorporate both traumas into one reaction.  I can think of ways to do so, but I don't know that they will.

I still have trust issues with the show and writers so, while I'm pleased, my expectations are low.  I am glad to see the announcement of MGG's directing episode 21, as we'll at least get some of his viewpoint from behind the camera, if not his presence in front of it.

• Love 2

I'm fine with it.

I suspect it was because of MGG's acting choices more than it was the writing or direction, but we saw Reid being solicitous of JJ last year, when she was worried about her connection to Cruz coming out, and we've seen it again this year. In addition to some subtle reactions and eye contacts, we even got some dialog. So, for me, it makes sense, and I'm glad they've decided to play it out.

JMO, I am glad he is getting attention, just sad that Reid can only get attention when he's attached to someone, especially JJ. For instance, they spent a lot of time in Demons showing us how his being hurt affected JJ and Alex. I couldn't care less, and have said it before, whether JJ is his bestie again or not. It's a blatant ploy to get Reid fans to watch an episode we have been complaining about. Maybe she's listening to our gripes because she's starting to get nervous about revisiting something she promised was over (and won't admit was a horrible mistake). 

Edited by normasm
  • Love 9

Blatant effng ploy.  Thank you!  It's nothing deeper than an attempt to round up more fans to watch another JJ-fangirl-lovefest.  Reid wouldn't be on the show if Messer had any choice in the matter.  She's made that obvious by sidelining him, mocking him, belittling him, etc.   So this isn't some huge change of heart on Messer's part, or anything amazing and deep about JJ and Reid's friendship.  It's a marketing ploy to get more fans to watch, more to the point, fans who would otherwise not be tuning in. 

• Love 4

Maybe she's listening to our gripes because she's starting to get nervous about revisiting something she promised was over (and won't admit was a horrible mistake).

If this is listening, I'm not sure it's her best skill. I feel less like I'm being listened too, and more like I'm being flipped off.

• Love 2

Well, Mari, listening is not the same as discerning… She has to hear us because we're making a bit of racket, but she may not understand what we are complaining about, so she just adds a little Reid into what she wanted to do in the first place. So, you know, there he is with his cookie this week fans....

• Love 2

• The JJ/Reid friendship has been portrayed to greater and lesser (mostly lesser, alas) extent since the first season.  Their argument in 'Proof' would not have happened at all if not for that friendship.  It was the betrayal of a specific, and more intimate, trust that got to Reid.  My guess is that we all know people who have fallen out with good friends over something.  Sadly, some of them have let those friendships die as a result.  None can claim to have behaved maturely in doing so.  I like to think that Reid is more mature than that. 
  •  
  • One of the challenges to the show is unavoidable.  JJ was traumatized by being held and tortured last year.  But she was also traumatized by her experiences in Afghanistan years ago.  Since the war experiences were only 'invented' last year, it was impossible for the show to give her retroactive PTSD from that earlier time.  So it will be interesting to see if they somehow try to incorporate both traumas into one reaction.  I can think of ways to do so, but I don't know that they will.

While these two things are true, JMO, what is also true is that, as Spinner says, JJ has spent the last three seasons either rolling her eyes at Reid or looking down her nose at him. Or both. As for Proof, it bothers me more that Aaron and Emily got involved, putting themselves between him and 'Jennifer.' Why should he not be allowed to have a negative reaction when he realizes he's been duped for over two months? Emily developed an ulcer while she was gone? While I'm not unsympathetic to that, Reid was the one with a Dilaudid habit that he could plausibly have gone back to as a coping mechanism. But God forbid he should be a little pissy about being lied to by someone he trusted, because his feelings don't matter. Or something. Blech.

Secondly, and perhaps most importantly IMO, Erica said we were done with this. Done, finished, kaput. So either she has amnesia and doesn't remember that she said it, or else she's a lying ass and thinks - or hopes - that we have amnesia and don't remember that she said it. If this is what she intended to do all along, give JJ yet another showcase, then she shouldn't have said the book was closed as of 200. With or without Reid as JJ's wailing wall, this wasn't supposed to happen.

• Love 7

ForeverAlone said

Me personally am not thrilled about Reid helping JJ out. First off, they are pairing my favorite character with my least favorite character. Secondly, just how "emotionally invested" is Reid supposed to be in this story, because like it has been mentioned before, some of us definitely don't want Reid too emotionally invested in JJ, because I don't want the writers getting any ideas. *cough*ReidcrushonJJ

That quote from Messer makes me dread this episode, especially the part about Reid being "so

emotionally invested in JJ". It makes me think the writers really are going to whore out Reid in

a way nobody wants.

Edited by moxiepip
  • Love 5
And don't worry about this triggering any PTSD for Reid

LOL, of course not. That would involve writing for Reid, something Messer is adamantly opposed to doing.

Using Reid as JJ's wailing wall is blatant, shameless manipulation. I can practically see Messer rubbing her hands together and cackling at her clever tactic.

• Love 5

I jus read the news, and I must say I still won't watch this new JJ episode.

I rather keep my memories of the intelligent profiler Reid once was, than seeing him being dumbed down, and playing any part (no matter how long) into yet another B story more worthy of a soap opera than a crime drama.

I think Messer is already feeling the negativity towards that episode, and probably felt it since she mentioned it as part of the line of work of this year, and I guess she included Reid as a bait to catch viewers. She did that last year, when she hinted that one profiler would not be back to the BAU, and then shot Morgan and Reid at once, but most viewers were worried about Reid since Morgan was shown live and kicking in the next promo. She also used Brewster to pump up the 200 episode, and lately, out of the blue, JJ's family drama was 'solved' by Reid.

Lately, whenever Messer and/or the CBS feel an episode won't be catching up in the audience, they put a shirtless pic of Moore, or they talk about Reid's hair. That makes me wonder why don't they try to attack the root of the problem instead of just trying to cover Messer's mess.

And again, I won't be watching it.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

• Love 4

It's one thing to comment on a person's actions, which are relatively objective. Or to have an opinion on the product of their work effort. It's another thing entirely to be disparaging of a person because of a presumed intention, or a misassigned responsibility, and it makes me very uncomfortable. Which is a long introduction to why it is now better for my digestion if I go and eat lunch in my office.

See you all on a kinder, gentler thread, or at a kinder, gentler time. Hopefully, that will be after tonight's episode!

JMO, I agree we shouldn't get personal with stuff we really don't know. If we catch people in a lie or see them shift from a previous statement, as we have with EM, we can only speculate what their motives might be. We can't (or at least I can't) go after EM as a bad actor bent on tanking the show. I think if her actions help tank CM, she will be clueless as to what she would have done to make it so. I also don't think she has the power to do it all by herself, but I do think she has changed the flavor (timbre) of the show to fit what she thinks the fans want.

• Love 3

It's one thing to comment on a person's actions, which are relatively objective. Or to have an opinion on the product of their work effort. It's another thing entirely to be disparaging of a person because of a presumed intention, or a misassigned responsibility, and it makes me very uncomfortable. Which is a long introduction to why it is now better for my digestion if I go and eat lunch in my office.

See you all on a kinder, gentler thread, or at a kinder, gentler time. Hopefully, that will be after tonight's episode!

I'm sorry I bothered you with my negativity.

It won't happen again.

Well this is not the first time this woman has been caught in a bold face lie, either that or EM doesn't really ever watch this show she is suppose to be running.

I remember Emily's very last scene as a regular character on CM. It was a slow dancing scene between her and Morgan at JJ's and Will's wedding ceremony.

Now for whatever reason EM felt the need to explain the reasoning behind this scene. The only problem there wasn't a bit of truth to what she had stated as the reason for it. Which was to make the ludicrous claim that Morgan was the last one to find out about Emily still being alive therefore it was fitting for him to be the last one to dance with her, when in fact he found out at at the exact same time Garcia and Reid did.

I wonder what would happen if it turns out that the spoiler about Reid being a sounding board turns out to be JJ saying something to Reid in one scene and then the rest of the episode is unsub scenes or JJ angsting / having flashbacks.

Edited by zannej
  • Love 2

Well, for me personally, the less interaction between Reid and JJ, the happier I am so I hope that ends up being the case. But if it turned out that Erica completely overhyped Reid's role in the story, that would definitely lend support to the idea that Erica played up the Reid angle to entice viewers (particularly Reid fans who aren't happy with him seemingly being marginalized), and it would definitely send the Reid/JJ shippers into an angry tizzy. :) :) :) :)

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 6

I don't mind if Reid's role is being a sounding board as long as the writers keep the characters' relationship platonic.

I don't want CM to end up being another show where the main characters bed hop and it devolves into who is sleeping 

with who, who is crushing on who and how long will this marriage last? kind of prime time soap opera.

At least by being a platonic sounding board, we'll see more Reid and maybe also see JJ realize that Reid

isn't the silly geek she takes for granted.

• Love 3

This sounds rather terrible. Supposing they have the budget to actually film abroad, it might not be so bad, but how will it work? The idea is that local police of whatever nation have to call in a team of US crimefighters every time a US citizen gets murdered? What's their jurisdiction? Like how on the NCIS shows they investigate anything even vaguely Navy related even when it's ridiculous? Why wouldn't most of those countries have their own elite profilers who would know much more about the criminal element of the area?

I know the FBI does do some liason work internationally, but stopping this show looking like they're basically saying that the entire rest of the world can't solve their own crimes without special FBI help will be the challenge here.

Or, an even worse thought just occurred to me reading the write-up of this on Deadline - it says that they're 'helping American citizens who find themselves in trouble abroad' - will they be working with US embassies and trying to prove the innocence of US citizens who are thought by local law enforcement to have committed crimes in other countries? Because, given that they'd have to prove most of them innocent to have a satisfying episode ending, that could be even more insulting to the rest of the world.

Why couldn't they have just made it about Emily's unit at Interpol instead (yes, I know their depiction of Interpol was utterly insane, but even that might have made slightly more sense than this).

Edited by Lebanna

The spin off could actually be a good thing if it were to mean EM abandoning the mothership and getting replaced by someone who actually knows what they are doing.Someone who had a better idea of what the concept of the show is suppose to be about, as well as a better grasp of it's character.

Now of course the icing on the cake would be if EM would take her "Golden Girl" as well as half those writers with her.And then replace them with writers who would actually know how to write for the show and it's characters.

• Love 7