Type keyword(s) to search

Season 10 Spoilers, Speculation, and Stabs in the Dark!

• Start Topic

In the bts photos for the finale, I spy a repeat LEO, Agent Tia Canning, played by Molly Culver. She was the LEO in Gabby, season 9, also written by Jim Clemente. Maybe this all ties into child trafficking.

• Love 5

In the bts photos for the finale, I spy a repeat LEO, Agent Tia Canning, played by Molly Culver. She was the LEO in Gabby, season 9, also written by Jim Clemente. Maybe this all ties into child trafficking.

I think you are correct, Normasm.  And I believe it revisits the Meg story.  Somewhere along the way, I'd read that Kate is held captive in the finale, but that was before the news of the JLH pregnancy.  She's far enough along that they may have had to make some practical changes to the planned storyline. 

Whatever it is, I hope it lends itself to some significant Reid screen time, as he's wearing my favorite outfit in those recent photos!

• Love 2

My bet is that either Meg and/or her friend get kidnapped. ok, I think her friend will probably definitely get kidnapped and Meg *might* get kidnapped too. Then the last two episodes will involve that and the team will want to rescue them.

• Love 3

My bet is that either Meg and/or her friend get kidnapped. ok, I think her friend will probably definitely get kidnapped and Meg *might* get kidnapped too. Then the last two episodes will involve that and the team will want to rescue them.

And here's what I will do: I will spend those Wednesday nights having a nice sleep on, to then read your impressions on the show. If they are positive, I will watch it. If not, I won't.

I trust you that much.

(And I don't trust these writers, at all).

• Love 7

I agree with you, MCatry.  Based on the fact that I have been disappointed in the last three season finales, I'm not going to watch this one when it airs.  I'll read the reviews from fans I trust, and decide from there if it's worth my time.  I don't trust the writers, and I don't trust the show runner.   But I do trust some fans to tell the truth. 

• Love 2

To me, it's like getting it over with. No agonizing over whether it was good, just rip that bandaid off!! If it's good, the early bird (me!) gets the worm, if not, I like to blow raspberries while they're still fresh in my mouth...

*there* how bout all those warped metaphors?

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm kind of dreading the finale. I have no interest in the Meg storyline - frankly she is such an over the top teen that the white slavers can take her away no worries! And we know that Reid won't figure much as somehow they deemed last season's finale to be Reid centric - even though he spent most of it lying in a hospital bed. I don't mind JLH having joined the show but I just don't want to watch this story play out with doubtless many sage platitudes on motherhood from Supermom.

I also rely on the brave souls here to tell me which bits I need to fast forward to get a glimpse of Reid or Hotch. I did quite enjoy last season's finale but we haven't had a truly great finale in years and this year looks like another dud. Especially as we won't know for weeks if this is the last finale or not. I'm feeling all discombobulated!

Edited by Old Dog
  • Love 5

Old Dog, I have to confess (at the risk of redundantly repeating myself again), I'm more dreading next week's backdoor pilot. Gag.

Same here.

If in a regular episode we may have just a few minutes of Hotch and Reid, with that huge second cast around I guess they will be there just mere seconds.

• Love 3

I'm not interested in the spinoff, because with Messer in charge, and the same writers writing, it'll be more of the same old, same old.  Cheesy, sound stage shots of Paris and London are just not enough to draw my interest.  Also, it does not bode well that they had to reshoot part of it because it didn't make sense.  That tells me it's a muddled mess.  I guess I'm past the point where I'm willing to trust this group to do anything right, so I'm not willing to devote time to watching them screw up another series. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Yeah, since Jennifer is leaving, I hope CBS just accepts that they should not hire anyone to replace her. This merry go round of female characters has gotten ridiculous, and I am tired of the constant fan hate/whining about new characters. I liked Jennifer's character and wish she wasn't leaving (though I understand why she is), but I hope she is not replaced.

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 4

Or they could just bring Emily back! Not that that would actually happen, but I can dream.

Although really maybe it's better that they don't, so that they don't have a chance to really ruin her character. It would be nice for the remaining characters to have more to do. And presumably JJ will be absent for a bit as well, so maybe this will be the chance for a nice Reid storyline.

Or maybe I'm just being way too optimistic.

• Love 4

I'll actually miss Kate Callahan.  I was looking forward to getting to know her a little better, and wondering why it was taking so long for that to happen---but they were probably distracted by the pilot.  Too bad.  Kate brought a much-needed dose of 'normal' to the cast, and a very welcome sense of humor.  For the little we saw of her, I thought she was written and portrayed well.  It was nice for Reid to have a contemporary who enjoyed his genius, but also treated him as an equal (eg, the fist bump scene), and brought out the normalcy in him. 

Having said that, I also agree that we can do without an additional cast member for the remaining span of the series----and I hope that span will go beyond year 11.

But a word of caution---they're negotiating with 6 people.  Which doesn't mean they've sealed the deal, and doesn't guarantee anything. But it's reason enough to smile.

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm thinking, since Shemar wants to leave, that they will come to some sort of agreement where he stays for the first part of 11 while JJ is on bedrest or kidnapped or whatever they're going to do to explain her absence for 2 to 3 months (of shows), and then Morgan will go bye-bye. And, yes, I do hope they won't get another agent when he does go. I would think that the spinoff crew just being 3 field agents and a tech analyst would tell them the original recipe show needs less field agents.

Edited by normasm
  • Love 5

I'm thinking, since Shemar wants to leave, that they will come to some sort of agreement where he stays for the first part of 11 while JJ is on bedrest or kidnapped or whatever they're going to do to explain her absence for 2 to 3 months (of shows), and then Morgan will go bye-bye. And, yes, I do hope they won't get another agent when he does go. I would think that the spinoff crew just being 3 field agents and a tech analyst would tell them the original recipe show needs less field agents.

I read in an interview Messer did about the spinoff that if it gets picked up they will add more cast members, because of course. I'm assuming that CBS will require CM to add another female cast member. I'm also not convinced Shemar is going to leave. I remember a couple years ago Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo saying they would leave Grey's Anatomy after their contracts were up, and then they re-signed for 2 more years. Money talks, particularly if the producers are willing to work around an actor's schedule.

I'm gonna miss Kate too. The little bit of humor she brings just serves to remind me that the rest of the team rarely jokes around anymore. If the writers would just lighten up the other characters a bit and humanize them (something I think Messer enjoys doing), Kate's absence will be felt significantly less.

• Love 3

Maybe Kate will be reduced to "recurring" status next year, to account for Jennifer Love Hewitt's time with the baby, with Hewitt returning in full for Season 12. It seems like a waste to bring in Hewitt for just one season, unless it's to do something "out of the box"- perhaps this is the year we see a BAU agent die in the line of fire, or they spend all of Season 11 trying to rescue her (with the team going on other cases in the meantime).

I too would like for CBS to at least try the show with a smaller cast and see how it works out. My fear is though, they are going to keep hiring these different actresses, that aren't Paget Brewster, hoping that sooner or later one of them will eventually click with CM audience or until the show is eventually cancelled.

I don't know why they are some damn concerned about the ratio of males to females on this show. Well actually I do. It's because they've been accused of sexism more than once where CM is concerned. Shows like their  NCIS franchise and Hawaii Five-0 can be male dominated because CBS has never been accused of sexism where those shows are concerned. As a matter of fact when one of H50's two females left the show, she wasn't replaced with another female. I think what they did was to make Chia McBride full time to take her place. Or he may have already been full time. The point is they in no way felt compelled to go out and replace that one female character with another one when they actress left the show.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 2

Maybe Kate will be reduced to "recurring" status next year, to account for Jennifer Love Hewitt's time with the baby, with Hewitt returning in full for Season 12. It seems like a waste to bring in Hewitt for just one season, unless it's to do something "out of the box"- perhaps this is the year we see a BAU agent die in the line of fire, or they spend all of Season 11 trying to rescue her (with the team going on other cases in the meantime).

But than again if she wasn't the big draw that they'd  hoped she be, it might also have been a waste to keep her on when the money could be much better spent.

• Love 1

But than again if she wasn't the big draw that they'd  hoped she be, it might also have been a waste to keep her on when the money could be much better spent.

True. It could also serve as the impetuous not to replace her in the cast- after they've tried and failed twice to replace Paget Brewster, maybe they'll realize it's a fool's game to try.

• Love 2

Yeah, since Jennifer is leaving, I hope CBS just accepts that they should not hire anyone to replace her. This merry go round of female characters has gotten ridiculous, and I am tired of the constant fan hate/whining about new characters. I liked Jennifer's character and wish she wasn't leaving (though I understand why she is), but I hope she is not replaced.

Well, fuck me gently with a chainsaw, Heather.

I also kind of hope they don't replace Kate. No one deserves the bashing that comes with trying to fill Paget's shoes, and while I think JLH got it less than Tripplehorn did, the fact is it's time to give it up. I'll sort of be sorry to see the back of her, but if they stick with fewer characters maybe the others, sans JJ, will get more attention.

• Love 5

I was disappointed when I heard JLH was leaving, but I'm not surprised. Its not like they really gave her much to work with for most of the season. Plus, I think its perfectly fine for her to want to spend time with her children.

In some ways I wish Shemar would leave too-- that way they could replace both of them with one ethnic minority female character to check both of those boxes for political correctness. On the other hand, Morgan has been part of the show since the beginning and it would be sad for him to go.

I hope that they finally get a hint and don't try to replace JLH when she leaves. It can save them some money and give them more time to focus on the remaining team members.

• Love 2

I think I would wait for official confirmation from JLH.  If it is true, then I'm going to start speculating wildly about what causes so many actors to walk away from this show, a steady job, and a steady paycheck.  Anyone with a delicate constitution about wild theories might want to keep some Tums handy, or put my posts on their ignore list.  >>=)    Why would you say something like this if it's not true though?  That wouldn't make any sense.  I can only think of two reasons, and neither are very complimentary to Kirsten.    

• Love 2

I think I would wait for official confirmation from JLH.  If it is true, then I'm going to start speculating wildly about what causes so many actors to walk away from this show, a steady job, and a steady paycheck.  Anyone with a delicate constitution about wild theories might want to keep some Tums handy, or put my posts on their ignore list.  >>=)    Why would you say something like this if it's not true though?  That wouldn't make any sense.  I can only think of two reasons, and neither are very complimentary to Kirsten.    

As far as JLH goes I suspect the insane hatred we have seen from the airheads on Facebook and elsewhere may be something to do with it. Her presence on the show has been relatively low key and I think she fits in quite well but those noodles on FB are just vicious and brutish and it cannot be nice for the poor woman. God knows I loathe and despise JJ these days and I think AJC is only an average actor at best but I wouldn't dream of spewing out the kind of vitriol I have seen about JLH.

But now I'm dying to know what your two reasons are Spinner!!

• Love 4

As far as JLH goes I suspect the insane hatred we have seen from the airheads on Facebook and elsewhere may be something to do with it. Her presence on the show has been relatively low key and I think she fits in quite well but those noodles on FB are just vicious and brutish and it cannot be nice for the poor woman. God knows I loathe and despise JJ these days and I think AJC is only an average actor at best but I wouldn't dream of spewing out the kind of vitriol I have seen about JLH.

But now I'm dying to know what your two reasons are Spinner!!

I've had a soft spot for JLH since she was on "Party of Five." And I thought Callahan brought a nice, low-key, down-to-earth vibe to CM. It would have been interesting to see how the character would have played out if given a chance (minus the pesky Meg story line).

And I hear you on the hatred thrown at JLH on places like FB. It is vicious and brutish. Social media can be such a powder keg and often tests my patience. It kills me how CM relies so much on social media to shape and write the episodes. And some of the Screaming Mimis who post at Matthew's various feeds make me want to tear my hair out. I sometimes feel like I'm one of the few Matthew fans whose IQ is above room temperature when I read his feed's comments.

Well, if JLH does move on, good luck to her and her blossoming family. I wish her well.

As for CM, I will have no problem if they don't bring on another character, male or female. I actually prefer a smaller cast. A smaller cast might help keep the writers more on track on developing and writing better episodes.

• Love 5

I had some big time trepidations about JLH coming, some of which are still justified (too many profilers!) but she has been fine with what they have had her do. A little smarmy at times, but i like the interactions with Reid, and some with Morgan. JLH does not deserve (who does?) the vicious and dumb attacks on her in not only expected places like FB and Twitter, but decent forums, where some people just keep harping on her like she's taken over and single-handedly ruined the show.

I would rather they have kept Jeanne Tripplehorn, but they didn't do justice by her. That they didn't do justice by JLH either is an indication they should just stop trying to replace Emily. If they can't get Paget back, they should make do with less agents. After all, Messer certainly thought 3 + 1 was good enough for the international team...

• Love 1

Sorry to take so long in replying.  My boss frowns on surfing at work =)   Which is ironic, because she's addicted to Facebook. 

The first thing that sprang to mind is that Kirsten lives to be the center of attention.  She may have said this to be shocking and to get attention.  True or untrue, we're all talking about what she said and wondering. 

The second thing that sprang to mind is sabotage.  Maybe it raises Kirsten's chance of getting more money and more screen time if Jennifer's chance of returning full or part time next year gets shot out of the water during contract negotiations.   Not nice, I know.  Unfounded, I know.   I'm just saying it would not be unheard of for actors to try to take out the competition.   

I will be sorry if Jennifer leaves.  Like others have said, I didn't think she would fit in at first, but I do like Kate and her personality on the show.  I hope they do replace JLH if she leaves, because I sure as hell don't want to go back to it being all JJ all the time again!   

• Love 3

This is just my speculation, but considering JLH initially said she wasn't sure if she was ready to return to work so soon after having her first baby, maybe stuck it out and really didn't feel ready and wanted to have more time at home. Or maybe given how she needed time off with her first baby, she wants a decent amount of time off with the second one. Childbirth is something very stressful for the body and the mind. And once the child is born, its not like things just go back to normal. The body has to recovery, there are still hormonal changes, there can be postpartum depression, fatigue, difficulty memorizing lines, etc. 

I don't know if the fan reaction weighed in much at all. I really hope that the fan reaction had nothing to do with it and that it was all just her choice for happy reasons.

Its also possible that she didn't form a close bond with the rest of the cast. I know Joe adored her, but I'm not sure about the rest of the cast. She was barely mentioned by some of the other cast members, she didn't meet up with them at public events, and it seemed like AJ didn't like her (all my perception based on various things on and off screen). I don't think she was terrible to work with or anything, I just think that they might not have clicked. Or maybe it had to do with the writing. Who knows. Unless she gives an exit interview, we won't be able to hear her thoughts on the matter.

At this point, there is no guarantee that the show will even have another season, but its still fun to speculate on what the future holds. I really do hope that if only one person leaves, that they don't try to get a replacement.

• Love 4

Its also possible that she didn't form a close bond with the rest of the cast. I know Joe adored her, but I'm not sure about the rest of the cast. She was barely mentioned by some of the other cast members, she didn't meet up with them at public events, and it seemed like AJ didn't like her (all my perception based on various things on and off screen). I don't think she was terrible to work with or anything, I just think that they might not have clicked. Or maybe it had to do with the writing. Who knows. Unless she gives an exit interview, we won't be able to hear her thoughts on the matter.

AJ was a "fan" of JLH when she was a teen (which means JLH is actually so much older than her...) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-3029573/Love-Hewitt-fun-says-star.html

I think JLH has made it really hard for them to like her so AJ was dissapointed in her. There's been so many rumors about her being a -not so nice- person .. but idk.....

I haven't seen any JLH haters on fb, twitter & other places. She's actually very overrated and overloved. Also: I think she's overly confident with herself and she's not listening to haters or she thinks they're lying, she seems like someone who's really full of herself.

Well, i'm not going to miss her. S11 just got better. I hope she's happy being with her children and she's not planning to come back.

JLH was a star back when she was a teenager so maybe AJ related to her character as a teen. 

I've never heard anyone say that JLH was not nice on set or anything like that.

I don't think she was rude to anyone-- I think that maybe AJ resented that JLH came in and got higher pay than her. Or maybe her lifestyle and personality is just so different that they don't relate to one-another. AJ wanted higher pay and accused CBS of sexism. They refused to give her as much money as she demanded but then they turned around and gave JLH more money- thus showing that it wasn't about sexism. She probably feels like she really has to struggle and fight to get what she wants and JLH was practically handed the job and the high salary. (Not saying that is what happened, but might be how AJ feels). Of course, I could be totally wrong on this.

I suspect that JLH didn't go for "girl's night out" with the rest of the ladies (and Gubler) and probably just wanted to go home to her family. Again, just my speculation.

I will be sad to see her go. To be honest, I'd rather have Kate on the show than JJ at this point.

Disclaimer: I'm sure that AJ is a lovely person and I've never heard anything bad about her behavior toward anyone on set. From all accounts she is very sweet to the fans and it seems that the cast and crew love her. It's just the character that I have problems with now.

• Love 4

JLH was a star back when she was a teenager so maybe AJ related to her character as a teen. 

I've never heard anyone say that JLH was not nice on set or anything like that.

I don't think she was rude to anyone-- I think that maybe AJ resented that JLH came in and got higher pay than her. Or maybe her lifestyle and personality is just so different that they don't relate to one-another. AJ wanted higher pay and accused CBS of sexism. They refused to give her as much money as she demanded but then they turned around and gave JLH more money- thus showing that it wasn't about sexism. She probably feels like she really has to struggle and fight to get what she wants and JLH was practically handed the job and the high salary. (Not saying that is what happened, but might be how AJ feels). Of course, I could be totally wrong on this.

I suspect that JLH didn't go for "girl's night out" with the rest of the ladies (and Gubler) and probably just wanted to go home to her family. Again, just my speculation.

I will be sad to see her go. To be honest, I'd rather have Kate on the show than JJ at this point.

Disclaimer: I'm sure that AJ is a lovely person and I've never heard anything bad about her behavior toward anyone on set. From all accounts she is very sweet to the fans and it seems that the cast and crew love her. It's just the character that I have problems with now.

I don't think AJ is demanding anything to herself...When she was promoting her episode (10x11 The forever people) she said that the writers are very nice to her for giving her screen time and she seemed very embarrassed for having a JJ centered episode - which is sad. There are 4 Kate episodes in a row in S10 but JLH is not feeling bad about it at all. Maybe this is the reason why they're not good friends: AJ is putting others before herself while JLH is very self centered. AJ is a very sweet person and JLH is anything but a sweet person.

I think AJ is feeling very bad for having 2!!! centered episodes in S10, that's why she has almost no screen time in 10x16 & 17 or .. she has a difficult pregnancy and she's feeling very sick. Either way: it's very sad. Who knows .. maybe she's reading these insane things that people are posting about her and she lost her self confidence. She's not as self confident as JLH so some "CM fans" should be more careful with what they're posting about her. Please stop lying about her.

JLH is known for being a diva .. her latest show "The Client List" got cancelled because she had some inane demands.

I don't think AJ is demanding anything to herself...When she was promoting her episode (10x11 The forever people) she said that the writers are very nice to her for giving her screen time and she seemed very embarrassed for having a JJ centered episode - which is sad. There are 4 Kate episodes in a row in S10 but JLH is not feeling bad about it at all. Maybe this is the reason why they're not good friends: AJ is putting others before herself while JLH is very self centered. AJ is a very sweet person and JLH is anything but a sweet person.

I think AJ is feeling very bad for having 2!!! centered episodes in S10, that's why she has almost no screen time in 10x16 & 17 or .. she has a difficult pregnancy and she's feeling very sick. Either way: it's very sad. Who knows .. maybe she's reading these insane things that people are posting about her and she lost her self confidence. She's not as self confident as JLH so some "CM fans" should be more careful with what they're posting about her. Please stop lying about her.

JLH is known for being a diva .. her latest show "The Client List" got cancelled because she had some inane demands.

I'm not a big fan of either actress but I think the JLH haters also post suspect information about her - The Client List was much more likely cancelled because of badly slipping ratings in the face of some good new shows. Yet everyone seizes on JLH - who was a producer after all - making suggestions on how to deal with her pregnancy. Rumour and speculation quickly get out of hand in these things. For me it is all about the characters in Criminal Minds and although JJ has been much improved this season, I still prefer Kate who has been introduced in a very low key way. JJ was so massively over exposed in Season 9 that it will take me and many others time to warm up to her again.  I don't count 4 Kate centric episodes in the whole season so far so I don't know which ones they are supposed to be.I only count 2 with the occasional mention in others.  I could do without the whole bratty Meg storyline but Kate herself slipped into role nicely.

• Love 6

""Rumour and speculation quickly get out of hand in these things.""

Yet everyone posts lies about AJ here.

I've never seen any JLH haters. People (including totally ignorant JLH fans) are hating on AJ.

Ok, I was wrong. Kate had 3 centered episodes in a row: 10x15,16,17. She had 6 centered episodes (10x1,3,8,15,16,17) out of 19 and there are 7! main characters. JJ only had 2 centered episodes this season. I have no idea what you're talking about, i have no idea how can you feel like AJ has taken over the show. Honestly, i don't even want to know. All i see is blind hatred toward AJ('s character) I get it, y'all saying that you have nothing against AJ .. yet posting insane lies about her being demanding and begging for more screen time is ok.

JLH had 2x more screen time than AJ/JJ ever had and she had 10x more screen time than MGG/Reid. Who's demanding more screen time?

I'm so glad JLH is leaving (if she's leaving not just promoting herself with saying it). At least JLH fans can quit sending hate to AJ.

Where's MCatry our statistics guru?? I honestly cannot see JLH has had significantly more screen time this season - I feel she has been brought in quite gently.

I have nothing against either AJC or JLH. AJC seems like a nice lady and is an actress of average ability and I have seen nothing to suggest that JLH isn't  the same. I do however despise what the showrunner and producers did to the character of JJ culminating in the shockingly bad Season 9 and especially the travesty of 200. And AJC herself has said that she wanted the character taken in that direction so I hold her partly responsible for that. It will take some getting over for sure - I still haven't managed to buy the Season 9 dvds to complete my set as even after all this time the thought of 200 causes the red mists to rise before my eyes!!!

But all that aside, there are lies and there is speculation. I could for instance speculate based on circumstantial evidence that part of AJC's and KV;s contract negotiations at the end of season 8 included the big increase in screen time we saw in Season 9. But that is speculation and not stated as fact. I could speculate that one reason for JLH and JT deciding to leave was the massive hate for them on the social media sites - but again that is my speculation and not facts therefore not lies. It is all about perception after all. But the main thing from my perspective is that Kate has been a good fit, JJ has been much more acceptable this season thank goodness although there is a long way to go for me to forget 200, but the bottom line for me personally is that the whole AJC vs JLH stuff is irrelevant really as the fact is that we haven't had enough Reid for a long, long time.

• Love 6
AJ was a "fan" of JLH when she was a teen (which means JLH is actually so much older than her...) http://www.dailymail...-says-star.html

I think JLH has made it really hard for them to like her so AJ was dissapointed in her. There's been so many rumors about her being a -not so nice- person .. but idk.....

I haven't seen any JLH haters on fb, twitter & other places. She's actually very overrated and overloved. Also: I think she's overly confident with herself and she's not listening to haters or she thinks they're lying, she seems like someone who's really full of herself.

Well, i'm not going to miss her. S11 just got better. I hope she's happy being with her children and she's not planning to come back.

I've never seen any JLH haters. People (including totally ignorant JLH fans) are hating on AJ.

Ok, I was wrong. Kate had 3 centered episodes in a row: 10x15,16,17. She had 6 centered episodes (10x1,3,8,15,16,17) out of 19 and there are 7! main characters. JJ only had 2 centered episodes this season. I have no idea what you're talking about, i have no idea how can you feel like AJ has taken over the show. Honestly, i don't even want to know. All i see is blind hatred toward AJ('s character) I get it, y'all saying that you have nothing against AJ .. yet posting insane lies about her being demanding and begging for more screen time is ok.

JLH had 2x more screen time than AJ/JJ ever had and she had 10x more screen time than MGG/Reid. Who's demanding more screen time?

I'm so glad JLH is leaving (if she's leaving not just promoting herself with saying it). At least JLH fans can quit sending hate to AJ.

Guesswht, I can sympathize with your perception that there's a lot of discontent with JJ on this board,  and Old Dog is right about rumor and speculation getting out of hand.  It's also true that sometimes such rumor, speculation and antipathy end up spilling toward the actress and not just the character.  I've seen that happen toward JLH on other boards. I think your post is the first time I've seen a hint of it here.

I've seen no citation (official article or interview) that has said JLH has been anything but friendly and professional on set, nor anything that says she does not get along with any of the other cast.  If you know differently, it would be good to make that citation.  Otherwise it's just 'rumor and speculation'.

As to their exposure on CM.  Judging from what is posted on other boards, you're not the only person who thinks JLH has been overexposed this season.  But I'm with Old Dog on not being one of them.  If anything, to me, it feels like we've barely gotten to know her.  Maybe the reason for the differences in perception is the difference between 'centric' episodes and the 'bookends' we so often get.  Kate has gotten a few bookends by way of introducing her character.  Centric episodes feature the character, and the character's issues, prominently throughout the hour---a la Morgan's Chicago/Carl Buford episodes, Rossi's Vietnam vet episodes.  This season, in my estimation, only Rossi and Garcia have had anything close to truly centric episodes.  Even JJ's PTSD was handled largely in bookends.  And JLH's 'captivity' in the prison lasted for under two minutes of screen time.

Earlier this year, there was an interview in which it was said (I think it was EM) that the final episode would feature Kate being kidnapped.  But that was before the pregnancy came into the picture, and definitely before any decision for her to leave the series.  So, who knows?  They'll do something to explain her character leaving, but it may or may not be all that much.

Old Dog is right.  No need to speculate on screen time when we have McCatry compiling statistics.  Once she's done with the season, all we have to do is add.

There's also no reason to think JLH is leaving for any reason other than that she would like to parent her children full time while they are young.  If she is fortunate enough to be able to do so, more power to her.

Somethings that are not 'rumor and speculation' are birthdates.  If you do your research, you will see that AJC is (a whopping) seven months older than JLH.

For the record, I like both characters.  But they can both take a back seat to Reid.

• Love 6

Guesswht, I can sympathize with your perception that there's a lot of discontent with JJ on this board,  and Old Dog is right about rumor and speculation getting out of hand.  It's also true that sometimes such rumor, speculation and antipathy end up spilling toward the actress and not just the character.  I've seen that happen toward JLH on other boards. I think your post is the first time I've seen a hint of it here.

I've seen no citation (official article or interview) that has said JLH has been anything but friendly and professional on set, nor anything that says she does not get along with any of the other cast.  If you know differently, it would be good to make that citation.  Otherwise it's just 'rumor and speculation'.

As to their exposure on CM.  Judging from what is posted on other boards, you're not the only person who thinks JLH has been overexposed this season.  But I'm with Old Dog on not being one of them.  If anything, to me, it feels like we've barely gotten to know her.  Maybe the reason for the differences in perception is the difference between 'centric' episodes and the 'bookends' we so often get.  Kate has gotten a few bookends by way of introducing her character.  Centric episodes feature the character, and the character's issues, prominently throughout the hour---a la Morgan's Chicago/Carl Buford episodes, Rossi's Vietnam vet episodes.  This season, in my estimation, only Rossi and Garcia have had anything close to truly centric episodes.  Even JJ's PTSD was handled largely in bookends.  And JLH's 'captivity' in the prison lasted for under two minutes of screen time.

Earlier this year, there was an interview in which it was said (I think it was EM) that the final episode would feature Kate being kidnapped.  But that was before the pregnancy came into the picture, and definitely before any decision for her to leave the series.  So, who knows?  They'll do something to explain her character leaving, but it may or may not be all that much.

Old Dog is right.  No need to speculate on screen time when we have McCatry compiling statistics.  Once she's done with the season, all we have to do is add.

There's also no reason to think JLH is leaving for any reason other than that she would like to parent her children full time while they are young.  If she is fortunate enough to be able to do so, more power to her.

Somethings that are not 'rumor and speculation' are birthdates.  If you do your research, you will see that AJC is (a whopping) seven months older than JLH.

For the record, I like both characters.  But they can both take a back seat to Reid.

Thanks JMO and Old Dog for saying this better than i could.

• Love 3

I hate to get pedantic here, but I don't think anyone has been lying about AJ. To my immediate recollection, no one has said that she's demanded anything, or insisted that her character become the sun around which everything in the CM universe revolves. We've speculated about the reasons JJ was suddenly front and center, yes, and I don't think it can be disputed that last season in particular it was fairly egregious, but speculating is hardly the same thing as lying, IMO. Lying implies intention, and FWIW my only intention is to figure out just what the hell might be going on behind the scenes.

What's worth noting is that its Kirsten who started all this by saying that Hewitt is leaving at the end of the season when no one else has stated such a thing. Why Vangness would want to even give the appearance of stirring the shit after the debacle with Tripplehorn is the real puzzle for me. Jeanne held out for two seasons of almost nothing to do, and if its true that Jennifer is going to leave after only one, then it  must be a very tense set at least for some people.

• Love 6

Given it hasn't been confirmed could Kirsten have meant that JLH will be leaving for a time. I don't know when her due date is but like AJC's first it may fall during filming so she'll be absent from screen for a few episodes?

If this was the UK both actress would miss season 11, maternity leave usually means long running series have to write actress out for about a year! I couldn't believe how little AJC missed in season 4.

• Love 3

What's worth noting is that its Kirsten who started all this by saying that Hewitt is leaving at the end of the season when no one else has stated such a thing. Why Vangness would want to even give the appearance of stirring the shit after the debacle with Tripplehorn is the real puzzle for me. Jeanne held out for two seasons of almost nothing to do, and if its true that Jennifer is going to leave after only one, then it  must be a very tense set at least for some people.

I guess I don't understand why this would need to be true.  I could see some questioning if she were leaving without there being a major life change in the background.  But there is a major life change---a very visible, publicly acknowledged one.  So why assume KV was stirring anything, or that there would be any rancor?  Why wouldn't JLH just be a woman who can afford not to work, choosing that option?  Similarly, AJC would be entitled to make her own decision about working, or not, for her own reasons. 

• Love 4

Hi.

I am still alive.

I haven't watch the last episode, but for the sake of statistics I will, although with the volume off. What I read here was enough to make me cringe.

Regarding the latest discussion:

There have been 'news' regarding 'bad behaviour' for both JLH and AJC, but as you know, you cannot believe everything you read in the Internet. They even killed actors and actresses from time to time, or invented marriages, kids and weird diseases, or pets kidnappings.

Nevertheless, I will say this:

Right now, and for me, the JJ character can't be more annoying. Not even Garcia can beat it. Why? because ever since she came back she represents the stereotype of woman in an action show that I hate, and of course, the amount of screentime piled up on her and her side stories throughout those last years. So, if she walks away to the horizon and beyond, I will be happy. Well, more than happy. Exhilarated.

The Callahan character had potential, but they had to add that over-the-top story about the 11S, so, you know, no one should hate her because of patriotism issues. And on top of that, they have to give her that awful niece of hers, which is someone that I simply cannot stand at all, plus a number of side stories to explain why KC is here, why is she is like she is, and how is her family. Wasted time, and even more now that she is apparently leaving. So, if she walks away, I will be happy, but mostly because we won't have to stand her niece anymore. I pity KC and her husband.

Edited by MCatry
  • Love 6

I guess I don't understand why this would need to be true.  I could see some questioning if she were leaving without there being a major life change in the background.  But there is a major life change---a very visible, publicly acknowledged one.  So why assume KV was stirring anything, or that there would be any rancor?  Why wouldn't JLH just be a woman who can afford not to work, choosing that option?  Similarly, AJC would be entitled to make her own decision about working, or not, for her own reasons. 

I guess what I'm wondering at is if there was intention behind it. There doesn't have to be, obviously, but I also don't think Kirsten should speak for Jennifer about whether she's going to go or stay or do whatever else. As has been said, it isn't confirmed yet, but shouldn't it be for Hewitt to say?

The further point I was trying to make is that, if its true, this is the second time this has happened, a character essentially being brought on to replace Emily leaving after only a brief time. Particularly since A) Paget and AJ were both hired back and then Paget left again anyway, and B) AJ is also pregnant and due around the same time Jennifer is, but Jennifer is maybe leaving and apparently AJ is staying, since blabbermouth* Kirsten didn't see fit to dish about Cook. I mean, if you're going to speak for other people, why not more than one person?

*I use the word blabbermouth with a bit of affection, since I think Kirsten has decent interview skills. That doesn't mean I think its okay for her to talk out of school.

• Love 5

Hi.

I am still alive.

I haven't watch the last episode, but for the sake of statistics I will, although with the volume off. What I read here was enough to make me cringe.

I would say don't waste your time with this last episode. The statistics will be strange because of the spin off element, though because of this it may not take you as long as usual. If I get time tomorrow or on Monday I may look at the Kate-centric episodes and time it out for each character, unless you already have of course.

• Love 4

We'll have to agree to disagree, CoStar.  I just read it as an interesting interview where KV mentioned both of her fellow female cast members (AJC's plan to remain is mentioned) by means of explaining the status of the show.  It didn't prompt me to think about ulterior motives, or overstepping. 

And now, off to a wedding on the very first nice Saturday of spring.

I must be short on "benefit of the doubt", because I don't think this is an accidental slip.  Planned or unplanned -- those are our two choices.  Either Kirsten can't keep her yap shut and can't be trusted, or she let this slip on purpose. 

I wonder if Kirsten has wrecked the surprise ending for the season finale.  Kate sacrifices her own life to save her niece from certain death!  Her niece does a complete turnaround, and devotes the rest of her life to making her auntie proud of her!  I'm so sorry I was such a brat but I'll be a good girl now!  *sob* Tissues all around as everyone stands over a sad coffin, lamenting the loss of poor Agent Callahan.     

• Love 3