Type keyword(s) to search

Lagertha: Teacher, Mother, Non-Secret Lover

• Start Topic

I don't get it.  Why did she feel the need to go fight with Ragnar?  Is she still pining for the guy that brought in the new wife and expected them all to live like Sister Wives?  I like that she kicks ass but I don't want her to lose her fierceness around Ragnar.

• Love 1

She came because she still loves the people and I suspect she still loves Ragnar. Let's face it, if Aslaug had not been pregnant I don't think Ragnar would have let her stay at Kattegat. Yes, he flirted and played with fire once but I believe he loves Lagertha.

• Love 1

I don't get it. Why did she feel the need to go fight with Ragnar? Is she still pining for the guy that brought in the new wife and expected them all to live like Sister Wives? I like that she kicks ass but I don't want her to lose her fierceness around Ragnar.

My take was she the main reason she did it was for Bjorn followed by helping her friends in the village. Ragnar received the benefited because of the above.

Bjorn & his stepfather weren't getting along at all. IMO, Bjorn wasn't being allowed to become the warrior he wanted to be. Bjorn mentioned wanting to go off in the wilderness on his own to survive without the help of all his servants & his stepfather nixed it.

The news of the takeover by Borg had already reached them in their part of Scandinavia. Going back to fight in the villiage gave her an excuse to take Bjorn back. There Bjorn would be allowed to go help fight & be among his family & friends.

I that's the reason Lagertha addressing the court vs Ragnor alone stuck out to me. It was apparent she was leaving without Bjorn, yet she wanted to let the others know that they were to look out for him. Emphasizing by stating Bjorn was all she had left.

• Love 3

BestestAuntEver, I think you hit the nail on the head, and that Bjorn was exactly the reason.  I agree with everything you said.  Lagertha's new husband is a jerk, but from what we've seen, most of their fights are about Bjorn, who everyone must know is the famous Ragnar Lothbrok's son, who is bristling to get out and find fame of his own.  I guess the contrast between Ragnar and Bjorn to Lagertha's new, more run of the mill Earl husband embarrasses and bothers Lagertha's new husband.  Bjorn asked Lagertha to do something to help Ragnar, and while dangerous, it ended up solving the problems between Bjorn and her current husband.  If he does go out raiding and adventuring, he's probably a lot safer with his father and the people from Kattegat than anywhere else.  She was nice to Aslaug (which bugged me, because I hate her), and that may just be because Lagertha is a class act, but it could also have been because Lagertha wants to leave Bjorn as safe, accepted, and protected as possible.  Hence her public announcement to everyone.   

Also, in the years to come, if Bjorn becomes a leader like his father, he now has ties to two communities, and it seems like that could be a big advantage as well. 

I think Lagertha really did/does love Ragnar, and the old feelings are still there, but she just has too much self-respect and pride to accept sister-wife Aslaug.  I am soooo relieved.  Go Lagertha!!  Vote Lagertha 4 Earl!

Edited by lawless
  • Love 1

Ah, thanks BestestAuntEver and Lawless.  That makes perfect sense now.   

I can understand her doing that for Bjorn and her old friends.  I love that she's such a strong character.   Ragnar left her no choice but to leave before and I didn't want her to be weak when it comes to him.  I see you're right, though, it wasn't about Ragnar, it was about her son.

I agree that Laeartha is my favorite character, the problem is, the writers are having a really hard time writing strong women

story lines and it's such a waste.  Lagertha and Ziggy could have some great stories.

I see you're right, though, it wasn't about Ragnar, it was about her son.

I do think Lagertha loved Ragnar very much, and still has feelings for him.  However, she only brought it up with Sigvard (new Earl husband) after Bjorn asked her to do so.  And when Bjorn initially brought it up, she told him it was not Sigvard's concern. However, she does seem to have a lot of friends and ties to the people of Kattegat, so that may have come into play as well. 

And just as an aside -- how do I love Lagertha?  Let me count the ways . . . I love that Lagertha told Sigvard that there was something she wanted to talk to him about, and he was all, "ok, as long as it's not Ragnar, I hate that guy," and instead of doing what most normal people would have done, which would be to have said "Ragnar? Oh noooo, it's not about him, uh, not exactly," Lagertha simply says "of course it's about Ragnar."  Heh.  I love her. 

Daaaaaamn, this character has really hit stride this season. I wasn't on board in season one but now I'm all "Lagertha for Viking Mayor!"

Also make Viking Mayor a thing.

Yes, she has. Lagertha has easily become my favorite female character on TV. I've been praying to the TV god that the showrunners don't mess up the character. I need a badass chick I can root for.

You should check out Arya Stark.

I've read the GoT books including the 5th one therefore Arya is excluded for me as a badass chick. I've never watched the show so maybe my perception of her would be different if I hadn't read the books.

Totally. And if King Horik is trying to use her to rein in Ragnar, how's that going to play out? Poorly for Horik I'd imagine.

Yeah, that reining in just hasn't been happening this episode, at least not to Ragnar.  I really like how easily she has stepped up to be an equal to Horik and Ragnar in terms of authority and decisiveness. 

Yeah, that reining in just hasn't been happening this episode, at least not to Ragnar.  I really like how easily she has stepped up to be an equal to Horik and Ragnar in terms of authority and decisiveness. 

I think it's interesting that the English don't blink at women on the battle field or Lagertha in the big meeting.

• Love 1
I need a badass chick I can root for

Lagertha had me in the first ep when those creepers came to rape her and tried to coerce her by saying "we don't want to have to kill you woman" and she disdainfully replied "if you tried for a hundred years, you couldn't kill me." And then she proved it!  YESSS!  And then she an Gyda apparently disposed of the bodies and cleaned up, and when Ragnar asked how things went while he was gone, she simply said "fine."  I love her, I love her, I love her.  More power to her when she invited Athelstan into bed with her and Ragnar -- go Lagertha! 

When the Show is on hiatus, you might check out Michonne on the Walking Dead for your badass chick who you can root for fix.

I thought it was interesting how quickly and decisively she announced that she agreed when King Ecbert made his mercenary pitch.  She wanted both to cutoff King Horik from mucking things up, which she accomplished, and she wanted it to be clear that she made up her own mind and wasn't just following the men, which she also accomplished by voting before Horik.  Nice work Lagertha.  Now she just needs a hot lover(s), and she's back on top in the world.

Edited by lawless
(edited)

Lagertha vs. Rhonda, I'm going with Lagertha. Viking women lived a much more brutal life then us. 

I love the story Katheryn Winnick told in an interview about going to the bank to get money and saw a group of guys standing around, two of them walked up to her she kicked their asses then realized they were friends of hers trying to surprise her. Her lesson, never surprise a black belt unless you want bruises. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I think if it's Kathryn Winnick, I might give the edge to Rhonda because of her moves.  However, I don't think her moves would help her much against the fierceness of Lagertha the Viking shield maiden. 

Can we get a link to that interview?

Maybe her friends aren't that tough?!

Lagertha vs. Rhonda, I'm going with Lagertha. Viking women lived a much more brutal life then us. 

I love the story Katheryn Winnick told in an interview about going to the bank to get money and saw a group of guys standing around, two of them walked up to her she kicked their asses then realized they were friends of hers trying to surprise her. Her lesson, never surprise a black belt unless you want bruises.

Can we get a link to that interview?

Maybe her friends aren't that tough?!

They might not be, but KW got her first black belt at 13 and started 3 Marital arts schools at 21. She's a third degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and a second degree black belt in Karate. She's also was a licensed bodyguard. So she knows how to kick someones ass.

• Love 2

They might not be, but KW got her first black belt at 13 and started 3 Marital arts schools at 21. She's a third degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and a second degree black belt in Karate. She's also was a licensed bodyguard. So she knows how to kick someones ass.

And as a licensed bodyguard, she's going to know, and use, some very nasty very dirty tricks.

• Love 2