And The Golden Arrow Goes To...: Awards, Nominations, and Recognition

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

The 13 Hottest Ships Giving Us Life On TV Right Now
By Amie Marie Bohannon ⋅ Posted on March 29th, 2016 at 7:43pm
http://moviepilot.com/posts/3824850

1. Olicity (Arrow, CW)
Oliver Queen and Felicity Smoak

The Santa Maria of all ships. Arrow's Felicity Smoak and Oliver Queen have been setting our hearts on fire ever since they first laid eyes on each other in Season 1. As The CW Arrow's go to IT girl, Felicity was tasked by Oliver to repair a suspiciously damaged laptop. Now, here we are, Season 4, and engaged!
Well, were. Recent events on the show have put the engagement on hold, but not to fear shippers, these two have one of the most realistic and healthy relationships on TV, and they ALWAYS take the path that leads them back together. He calls her his light, and that, my friends, is how you spell endgame.
  • Love 2

GB is getting another award...

Greg Berlanti, Ilene Chaiken to Be Honored by Alliance of Women Directors
Dave McNary  MARCH 30, 2016 | 08:00AM PT

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/greg-berlanti-ilene-chaiken-alliance-of-women-directors-1201741662/

The Alliance of Women Directors has tapped Greg Berlanti and Ilene Chaiken as honorees at its inaugural awards show on April 28, Variety has learned exclusively.

The event will be held at the Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills.
The Alliance of Women Directors has more than 250 members, including Lesli Linka Glatter, Mimi Leder, Betty Thomas and Bethany Rooney. The organization works to support and promote the work, visibility and professional development of female directors through a variety of programs including screenings, educational events and industry gatherings to assist in fostering professional connections throughout the industry.

• Love 1

Bad news - Sam Heughan beat SA to win Alpha Male Madness 2016 (with 57%)...

Alpha Male Madness 2016 Has a Winner: Who Is TV's Most Beloved Actor?
by LAUREN PIESTER Wed, Mar 30, 2016 3:00 PM
http://www.eonline.com/news/752242/alpha-male-madness-2016-has-a-winner-who-is-tv-s-most-beloved-actor

That does not mean, however, that Amell's fans didn't put up a fantastic fight, and we saw more comments than ever about how hard it was to choose between the two handsome badasses. It was definitely a tough choice, and all the fans deserve some recognition for their efforts. Amell may not have won the title, but he didn't lose any love.

In fact, this was the nicest, most polite fight we think we've ever seen, and we're proud of all of you. Sam Heughan may have won the title, but we are all winners. To celebrate the end of another lengthy internet battle, we've collected some of your best celebratory tweets for you to gaze upon as you raise your glass of whisky in salute to Sam, to Stephen, to yourselves, and to the fact that another season of Outlander is so close we can almost taste it.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I know not everyone here is a fan of polls, but if you're still awake/not busy, maybe throw a vote or two (or more. it's unlimited voting) on the zap2it poll for EBR to keep the upward momentum going? It ends in about 6 hours (9AM EST) and she's only 0.5% from tying it up and hopefully winning it all.

http://zap2it.com/2016/03/zap2it-social-media-showdown-2016-final-round-jensen-ackles-emily-bett-rickards/

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 3

That was satisfying.  I spent about twenty minutes voting (yes, I should be in bed) and watched the .05 gradually go up until she was ahead by a whole .11 

Much better than last year on something where I spent way too much time and watched it drop like by five percent. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

I know not everyone here is a fan of polls, but if you're still awake/not busy, maybe throw a vote or two (or more. it's unlimited voting) on the zap2it poll for EBR to keep the upward momentum going? It ends in about 6 hours (9AM EST) and she's only 0.5% from tying it up and hopefully winning it all.

http://zap2it.com/2016/03/zap2it-social-media-showdown-2016-final-round-jensen-ackles-emily-bett-rickards/

Color me very pleasantly surprised to wake up to her being ahead after going to bed to being behind, that was great news.  And while I think Zap2It should put unlimited voting in quotes (since I got the boot twice last night - I swear I'm not a bot - for too many votes [it wasn't even that many, I suspect I was just going too fast]), I do really like the street sign CAPTCHA's much better than the ones where you have to pick all the pictures with trees or boats or whatever.  I even saw my own street sign, which was weird!

It's almost over, yay!

Edited by JenMD
  • Love 1

Man. That was a cage match! EBR voters timed their voting blocks better. I was voting for Jensen but I think we may have become a bit too complacent when he got a lead. Congrats to EBR!

• Love 2

Bumping this up...

I would like another win for Olicity since things are shaky right now but "hottest" is a hard category to triumph in when they are against premium channels and Netflix with the freedom to push more blatant content.  Wish they had titled it differently.  It changes the voting patterns I think.   

(edited)

Felicity is #9 on this list (also, Sara Lance is #2, Supergirl is #5, Peggy Carter is #8, and  Iris West is #10)...

12 Female TV Characters Redefining the Hero’s Journey
By Jennifer Stasak  2 hours ago
http://screenrant.com/female-heroes-tv/

Even if it’s not always referred to by name, almost everyone who has ever watched a film or television show, or read a book, is aware of the “hero’s journey.” Within the context of pop culture, heroes like Harry Potter or Frodo Baggins or Luke Skywalker follow the steps within this narrative pattern from beginning to end. But what is refreshing recently in the realm of pop culture is that more and more women have been stepping into the roles typically occupied by men.

And though women still have to fight through the muck and mire in order to garner the respect that their male counterparts would easily obtain, more female heroes (and anti-heroes) are being written well on television these days. They’re characters who are redefining what it means to be a hero and breaking some stereotypes within the narrative context of the hero’s journey.

Here are twelve women who are redefining what it means to be a hero.
9. FELICITY SMOAK (ARROW)
When Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) debuted on Arrow, she was a bubbly, babbly IT girl. But over the years, the show has progressed her character from one who assists the team from the outside to a woman who uses her skills to become a hero in her own right.

Recently, Felicity and Oliver (Stephen Amell) broke off their engagement. It was Felicity who called it off, after finding out about a child that Oliver kept secret from her. As a result, Felicity has begun to embark on her own alteration of the hero’s journey narrative. Though she will never be the main character of the series or the main focus, her arc appears to be one sprung out of “the ordeal” phase of the narrative. After Felicity’s brief paralyzation and break-up with Oliver, she has begun to realign herself around a central purpose. “The ordeal” phase of the narrative includes this phrase: “Out of the moment of death comes new life.”

Now, Felicity is embarking on this “new life,” apart from Oliver and a new quest that is singularly hers – her own twist on the hero’s journey.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

I didn't even know about this poll until I saw the final results tweeted by James Bamford...

ARROW WINS SUPERHERO TV MARCH MADNESS!
BY ED GARRETT  COMICS APRIL 2, 2016
http://www.tmstash.com/arrow-wins-superhero-tv-march-madness/

The final results are in, and the winner is ARROW in TMStash’s SUPERHERO TV MARCH MADNESS! ARROW beat DAREDEVIL in the final round easily to take the crown, in a contest filled with quite a few surprises. In the end, YOU spoke clearly about your favorite shows, and we at TMStash want to THANK YOU for being a part of this fun event!

In the early rounds we saw supposed favorites in SUPERGIRL and GOTHAM go down, showing the power of animation and nostalgia as we moved through the rounds. ARROW’s path to the top went something like this:

• Round 1 saw ARROW easily beat TEEN TITANS GO! with 82% of the votes
  • Round 2 was ARROW’s closest call, beating JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED with only 53% of the votes cast
  • Round 3 saw ARROW beat it’s sister series THE FLASH easily, with 77% of the total
  • And in the Final Round, ARROW took an impressive 85% of the total against DAREDEVIL
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

It's that time of year again - time to nominate Olicity (if that's your thing) for Eonline's TV's Top Couple competition...

TV's Top Couple 2016: Nominate Your Favorite Pairings Now!
by TIERNEY BRICKER Fri, Apr 8, 2016 3:00 PM
http://www.eonline.com/news/755177/tv-s-top-couple-2016-nominate-your-favorite-pairings-now

The first round of voting will officially kick off on Monday, April 11, with 64 (!) couples entering the love-ring, so it's time to start nominating! Make sure to nominate your favorite TV couples via the comments section below and on Twitter by tweeting @eonlineTV with the hashtag #TopTVCouple.

Here ya go - Olicity is one of 64 couples in Round 1 of Eonline's TV's Top Couple 2016...

TV's Top Couple 2016: Vote in Round 1 Now!
by LAUREN PIESTER Mon, Apr 11, 2016 3:00 PM
http://www.eonline.com/news/755610/tv-s-top-couple-2016-vote-in-round-1-now

You have until Wednesday, April 13 at 5 p.m. PT to vote, so you better get started! Meanwhile, you should also tweet at @eonlineTV and use that trusty hashtag #TopTVCouple to rally the troops for whoever you're supporting.

Outlander's Jamie and Clare won the TV Guide/TV Insider poll for TV's Hottest Couple (it really wasn't fair, considering this poll was promoted in a TV Guide Magazine print issue that featured an Outlander cover and full article)...

Who's TV's Hottest Couple? The Winner of Our Poll Is...
Emily Maas April 12, 2016 1:25 pm
http://www.tvinsider.com/article/84924/whos-tvs-hottest-couple-the-winner-of-our-poll-is/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=tvi

Runner Up: Arrow's Oliver and Felicity
Olicity fans will be excited to hear that it was a tight race for our Hottest Couple crown, and Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) Smoaked the rest of the competition, earning themselves the runner up slot.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Frankly, it's great that they got runner up. I don't follow Outlander, but I do know there's plenty of graphic scenes. Oliver and Felicity had one sex scene last season. 

• Love 2

Yeah, there's no way for a show on The CW to compete with the graphic sex scenes on Starz so that's a pretty good place to be for them.

Agree. But I really wish they could make them a little more physical once the break-up ends. I've been watching WB/CW for decades now. I know main characters are allowed to kiss and have implied pre/post sex scenes ~ however the Arrow writers almost never write those types of scenes in. They don't have to be as steamy as Outlander, but for me they have to be a less chaste... The actors do great with being handsy, but they did that before they were a couple. I want to see sexy times or implied sexy times and hopefully just because its Weds, not just after a major fight or cuz someone is on their way to die.

Out of the ten relationship, three are M/M and seven M/F. While I'm glad shows are using F/F relationship to bring in male viewers, it does suggest to me that the sex bias towards men is still strong in TV.

They are currently losing to some couple from the Walking Dead.  48.4% to 51.6%  I was surprised that there was a pairing left alive on that show.  

Well from what I've heard a lot of people are voting against them to spite the 'olicitards', also Jaime&Claire don't want to go against Olicity shippers, and of course W/A shippers don't either... So I'm impressed theyre doing this well lol But this is what I've heard,.

They are currently losing to some couple from the Walking Dead.  48.4% to 51.6%  I was surprised that there was a pairing left alive on that show.  

They've only recently gotten together. Ironically, Richonne (Rick and Michonne) is also a non-comic canon, show-only pairing that happened because the actors had good chemistry and they've enjoyed a lot of fan support. I don't hear a lot of complaints about them "not honoring comic canon" or accusations of fan service though.

I don't get the impression there's as much voting support for this poll as there was last year. I've seen less chatter about it. I've been voting all day (to avoid doing my chores) but we've pretty much given back all the progress made by the overnight/early Saturday morning voters. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2