Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast of Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist

• Start Topic

Fun fact: both Peter Gallagher and Lauren Graham starred in Guys and Dolls on Broadway, but in different productions. Peter played Sky Masterson in the 1992 revival along with Nathan Lane and JK Simmons (and his daughter Kathryn is currently playing Bella in Jagged Little Pill on Broadway!) and Lauren played Miss Adelaide in the 2009 revival which also starred Oliver Platt and Tituss Burgess.

Luck Be a Lady:

Adelaide's Lament:

A Bushel and a Peck:

• Love 2

Peter Gallagher and Mary Steenburgen are heavyweight acting. I was puzzled at their inclusion until I saw the characters and plot they're going to have to pull off.  Probably worth the money paying for that kind of talent.

Graham seemed kind of wasted in the first episode, but I suppose they didn't have room in it for her to play anything other than stereotypical bosslady.

Jane Levy is far better than I'd assumed she'd be.

• Love 2

Since this was mentioned in a couple of different episode threads, I'm reposting this info here in the cast thread!

The Wild Story of How Mary Steenburgen Wrote the Best Original Movie Song of the Year

Oscar-winning actress Mary Steenburgen went under the knife for a routine surgery in 2009. Hours later, she woke up as a different person — and became a great songwriter.

The bizarre odyssey of how Oscar-winning actress Mary Steenburgen came to co-write the euphoric power-ballad that Jessie Buckley performs at the end of “Wild Rose” — easily the year’s best original movie song — began 10 years ago, when the “Melvin and Howard” star woke up after a minor arm surgery feeling like her mind was on fire.

“I felt strange as soon as the anesthesia started to wear off,” Steenburgen said. “The best way I can describe it is that it just felt like my brain was only music, and that everything anybody said to me became musical. All of my thoughts became musical. Every street sign became musical. I couldn’t get my mind into any other mode.”

[...]

When the music didn’t go away, Steenburgen realized that she had to do something with it — if only for her sanity — even though she didn’t know how to play an instrument. “I called a very talented friend of mine on Martha’s Vineyard and I said: ‘Look, if I come over every day and sing what I hear in my head, could you help me make them into songs?’” she said. She wrote hundreds of songs that summer and sent 12 of the best ones to a music lawyer under her mother’s name. “He wanted to work with ‘Nellie Wall,’ but then I showed up instead,” she said.

The next thing she knew, Steenburgen had been signed to Universal as a songwriter and was on a plane to Nashville. It was the first stride on a strange path that would eventually lead to Tom Harper and Jessie Buckley’s doorstep almost a decade later.

[...]

As it turned out, Steenburgen had spent the last few years toiling away on her own dream of making it in Music City. And despite the many advantages that her fame might have afforded her, she was more nervous about going there than Rose-Lynn Harlan has ever been about anything. “It was terrifying,” she said. “The first session I did was a total disaster, and I literally went back to my hotel room in tears, cried my eyes out, and thought ‘Why would anyone be so stupid at age 54 to think they could do something so new?’”

But she also felt like she didn’t have much of a choice. “I was back at it by the next morning,” she said. “I just told myself: ‘I’m going to go right up and sing the bleeping song if it kills me!’”

[...]

Steenburgen’s career experience also gave her a unique advantage over the competition: While most of the songwriters who submitted demos for “Wild Rose” were content to read a plot synopsis and work in broad strokes from there, Steenburgen approached the assignment as if the song were a character for her to play. “I fought to get the full script, because I just felt like I was looking at such a small part of the story without it,” she said. “Where does Rose-Lynn live? What does her apartment look like? I needed to think of imagery that might be cohesive with what the production designer, the cinematographer, and the composer would be doing; there are all these people you haven’t met yet who are telling the same story. And as soon as I read the whole thing, I understood what we were writing.”

That process led to a realization: “It was a really love song from Rose-Lynn to her mother …It was also a love song to her city and a love song to the concept of home and the fact that home doesn’t have to be second best for her or something that she settles for.”

[...]

“I didn’t fall out of love with acting when this happened,” Steenburgen said, “and I still haven’t. But there’s so much more capability in our brains than we probably realize, and agreeing to diminishment and shutting down doors is a choice that we all make for ourselves. It turns out you don’t really have to do that.”

The song:

Wheeee! Great news, we're going to see more of these folks!

‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist’ Ups Four To Series Regular For Season 2

We’ll be seeing more of David, Emily, Leif and Tobin on the second season of Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist. Andrew Leeds, Alice Lee, Michael Thomas Grant and Kapil Talwalkar, who recurred respectively as the characters in season 1, have been promoted to series regular for season 2 of the NBC musical dramedy starring Jane Levy.

• Love 5

Alex Newell was a guest star in last night's episode (Season 1, episode 4) of Our Kind of People playing a very Mo-like character, complete with fab outfits!

[ETA:]

Edited by Trini