Type keyword(s) to search

Whedonverse Mafia

• Start Topic

One would use an aesthetician if you were getting ready to take a picture ... it's a long shot, but just thought I would throw that out there.

My coworker went to an aesthetician for a facial peel, and she definitely wouldn't have wanted a photo taken afterwards.  She looked like the inside of a pomegranate.  FWIW, looking at the Cordelia wikipedia page, it seems like aesthetician fits with her story, but others would know better than I would. 

Created as a foil for Buffy's titular heroine, Cordelia was initially characterized as "shallow", "vain" and "self-centered", and was used in the series to create conflict for the other characters.

• Love 1
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sold on aesthetician being a clue either, insomuch as I feel like it's a thing Cordelia would definitely reference. Of course since I have no alternate suggestions I'm entirely open to being wrong. It just seems like a normal Cordelia thing. Still looking. 

I think we can say with some confidence that the whole Scooby Gang and the whole Angel crew are all heroes, as well as most of the SHIELD team (Coulson, May, Fitz-Simmons, Trip), then we've also got the possibility that there are people switching bodies or whatever. 

I'm less confident about the Dollhouse characters, and then of course we have Glory. 

*Real life note, my whole area is under a tornado watch until 10pm this evening so if I don't come back it's because I don't have electricity or something. 

• Love 2

I like the thought process behind this.  One thing though- as a proper noun acronym, I believe SHIELD is always capitalized.  And I know for sure GTO is always capitalized. 

The remaining "unusually" capitalized words would be:

THIS BEST BEHAVIOR RIGHT THIS THAT NOW CAROLINE FARRELL

Anyone good at word scrambles?

ETA: There are a lot of capitalizations in the prologue, and no clues.  Maybe that's just the writing style- for emphasis. 

I agree that GTO SHIELD CAROLINE FARRELL are legitimately upper case and maybe not part of a clue unless the clue is to link those other words- the non legitimately capped with the legit capped and make them a whole, considered together. 

I like Jay Kay's cosmetology idea (cosmos?) but it does not fit with the other odd thing that links them - making the hair wet without touching the person. Those two odd statements together are only aligned if the aestetician is one who works with hair and not makeup.

• Love 2

A little spitballin' here...

For some reason some words in the story are randomly upper case.  They are:

GTO THIS BEST BEHAVIOR  RIGHT THIS THAT SHIELD NOW CAROLINE FARRELL

The only other thing that struck me is a OOLF comment about an aesthetician:

My aesthetician cancelled my appointment, and told me she’s moving to New Jersey.

Followed later by a OORF comment about getting hair wet:

about a man somehow making her hair damp without touching her.” “What does that-”

Who does that? An esthetician does if you take it to mean a stylist with a spray.

Re: capitalized words. You forgot VAMPIRES. Taking out the acronym, product name and standard filing procedure, I'm not sure we're left with much. Still, it could be something to look at.

As far as the aesthetician, that's totally something I'd expect from Cordy.

Oh, and on the OORF comment, "What does that?" *coughBeetleJizmcough*

The "aesthetician" sentence jumped out at me as well. The more common term (imo) for that profession is cosmetologist. So I Googled "cosmetology schools new jersey" and found this list after hitting a "show more" button.

http://www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com/find/index.php?st=NJ&t=1&search=Y&thisSearchPage=more

Hopefully that displays correctly. There's two repeating names of interest: CAPRI and Robert Fiance. But as there's only one clue, the whole thing could be a wash.

If you're trying to point at me, I'd remind you that my name is caprice, not Capri. If not, I'll say again that Cordelia would never settle for the common. Isn't that right, Ghost Dennis?

Blimey, that is A LOT of story for just one measly clue! Talk about needle in a haystack - eh. 

*Off to read again*

Right? I'm afraid my migraine is going to come back.

Tornado watches aren't fun. Stay safe, Lisin!

• Love 5

If you're trying to point at me, I'd remind you that my name is caprice, not Capri. If not, I'll say again that Cordelia would never settle for the common. Isn't that right, Ghost Dennis?

I like this because going by that logic, from now on in any mafia game, any mention of silver or storms should automatically be disregarded as they only constitute part of my name :p

• Love 4

Stay safe Lisin ... that is what I woke up to yesterday morning ... my telephone alarm buzzing that I was under tornado warning ... yeah, that is what you want to wake up to.

I am really hoping that someone will come up with a list (Dougal?) of who might be what ... villain wise. 

So ... maybe my aesthitician was a little far fetched, but I like how it went places.  ::giggle::

Here is the thing ... another word kind of stood out to me:

Ian Quinn stood in the board room, drinking from a tumbler and looking out the window.

Another strange word to use.  So I looked up the definition of tumbler and in the context it means:

a drinking glass with straight sides and no handle or stem.

But the second definition is this:

an acrobat or gymnast, especially one who performs somersaults

So I started going through the entire list to see if anyone's name is associated with being in gymnastics ... funny thing ... I found a certain player's name associated with gymnastics in New Jersey ...

Hmmmmm ...

• Love 2

from now on in any mafia game, any mention of silver or storms should automatically be disregarded as they only constitute part of my name :p

Same for storms with only one "M." ;)

Biz please stop asking us (me!) to Google things ourselves. Can't you see I'm already in the fetal position after reading this Story and not knowing who anyone is?

And caprice you'll be happy to know it took me a solid 10 minutes of rereading to realize Cordy and Cordelia are one and the same.

*I have underestimated the cruelty of the ladies again.

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 2

Biz please stop asking us (me!) to Google things ourselves. Can't you see I'm already in the fetal position after reading this Story and not knowing who anyone is?

Why should I be the only one to suffer.  ::giggle::

Just kidding ...

Somewhere in my comment above is a hint.  HAHAHA

But seriously ... making firm accusations on the first day ... well I have seen that is borderline rude.

• Love 1

I'm busy nerding out in line for the preview screening of the BBS trailer, so I haven't read much yet. But I DID notice "Plymouth GTO". The Goat was a Pontiac; a Plymouth would have been a Fury or Barracuda. #DontMessWithTheMopar!

• Love 2

I am really hoping that someone will come up with a list (Dougal?) of who might be what ... villain wise. 

I really don't know what's going on with Dollhouse or Agents of Shield, so since we're sadly lacking in Firefly in this game I only know Buffy/Angel (and saw Dr. Horrible one time years ago). So...as mentioned previously, Glory/Ben are definitely villains, maybe some of the Dollhouse people might be. I don't know otherwise.

I'm busy nerding out in line for the preview screening of the BBS trailer, so I haven't read much yet. But I DID notice "Plymouth GTO". The Goat was a Pontiac; a Plymouth would have been a Fury or Barracuda. #DontMessWithTheMopar!

Oooh, interesting. The Angel-Mobile was actually a Plymouth GTX. Probably just a typo, but....

• Love 2

I'm going to wager a guess (WRT who is a villain) that the Dollhouse Actives may be recruitables, Since they can literally be imprinted with any personality. 

• Love 2

To be frank, I think it's a weak coincidence and I wouldn't vote on it if somebody else found it. I also found a song called Best Behavior by a group called N-Dubz, which sounds like TMunz. I don't like it either.

I'll try to work more on the character stuff for people later, since searching for clues is getting me nowhere.

• Love 3

Stay safe Lisin ... that is what I woke up to yesterday morning ... my telephone alarm buzzing that I was under tornado warning ... yeah, that is what you want to wake up to.

So ... maybe my aesthitician was a little far fetched, but I like how it went places.  ::giggle::

Here is the thing ... another word kind of stood out to me:

Another strange word to use.  So I looked up the definition of tumbler and in the context it means:

But the second definition is this:

So I started going through the entire list to see if anyone's name is associated with being in gymnastics ... funny thing ... I found a certain player's name associated with gymnastics in New Jersey ...

Hmmmmm ...

I just searched 'gymnastics New Jersey' and got squat (excuse the pun). :/ #stillclueless

• Love 3

Tumbler IS a funny word. I think my grandmother was the last person I heard use it, and she was referring to these cheap plastic tall cups that made your drinks taste bad.

• Love 1

"Tumbler" exclusively makes me think of tumblr. That was founded by David Karp, owned by Yahoo, headquartered in NYC; no connection to anyone I can see better than that "Karp" is kind of like "Parker", which is, uh, not a strong connection.

• Love 1

I'm not sure, but this may be what Biz was hinting at earlier.

Tumblers are akin to acrobats.  Searching for that I found this.

"Tumblers" is quite the Pandora's Box...  I Googled with your acrobatic note in mind, Curious Parker, and found a longstanding famous group called the Jesse White Team.  

Tumbling's a pretty tapped market.  Who knew? 

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 2

"Tumbler" exclusively makes me think of tumblr. That was founded by David Karp, owned by Yahoo, headquartered in NYC; no connection to anyone I can see better than that "Karp" is kind of like "Parker", which is, uh, not a strong connection.

I am so with you here. In fact, I have a hard time believing that tumbler is the correct way of spelling it. It looks wrong with the E. 

I'm totally lost with most of this and I thought I knew the Whedonverse pretty well. For those who know, is there really a project 314? because 314 always makes me think of pi and maybe that could be something. 

• Love 2

That's area 51, no?

IIRC 314 was the Initiative's top secret name for Adam, the season 4 Big Bad. He's like a blowhard Frankenstein with existential angst.

Yeah, that. 

I guess it should not go without saying that I am a hero!

• Love 3

Fun fact:  Mariah Carey wrote the song "Hero" after we shared boneless wings at Applebee's. 

Ditto for Enrique Iglesias' song "Hero."  That one's a longer story, though.

• Love 3

Since we're all claiming...

I'm a Hero too.

And I really mean it this time!

Beyond that, I got nothing so far. But I will recommend that everyone look back at the recap of the first game we played here. That one was also moderated by TJ, and the recap shows his clue style and method. That might help us in locating the clues this time around.

• Love 2

Beyond that, I got nothing so far. But I will recommend that everyone look back at the recap of the first game we played here. That one was also moderated by TJ, and the recap shows his clue style and method. That might help us in locating the clues this time around.

Been there, doing that ... and it STILL isn't helping.

• Love 1

Day 3

~Clue: mentioned Thomas + the train = Thomas the Tank Engine and his friend Douglas (Dougal)

Night 3 

~Clue: Abed quotes HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey, voiced by Douglas Rain (Dougal)

WOT? DOUGLAS & DOUGAL ARE NOT THE SAME #NOONEUNDERSTANDS

Also, I would have sussed precisely none of those clues from TJ, this does not bode well...

ETA As we are the next game in line now, Biz and I would like to reveal that the next mafia game will be 'The Princess Bride mafia', so those of you who haven't seen it (including coughMarkHB/CPcough) have enough time to treat yourselves to an AWESOME movie experience! :D

Edited by SilverStormm
Added announcement.
  • Love 6

WOT? DOUGLAS & DOUGAL ARE NOT THE SAME #NOONEUNDERSTANDS

THANK YOU. #storyofmylife #usemymiddlenamefortakeoutbecauseIhatebeingcalledDougsosomuch #hashtagsthataretoolongfortwitter

the next mafia game will be 'The Princess Bride mafia'

:D
  • Love 5

ETA As we are the next game in line now, Biz and I would like to reveal that the next mafia game will be 'The Princess Bride mafia', so those of you who haven't seen it (including coughMarkHB/CPcough) have enough time to treat yourselves to an AWESOME movie experience! :D

:-O 

I shit you not, when I was trying to get in good with a girl (way back in the teen years) and she was out sick from school- I'd show up to her house with her assignments, wonton soup and "The Princess Bride" on VHS.  Talk about success rates... 

I have seen it at least 50 times; I'm so in.   

Also, I would have sussed precisely none of those clues from TJ, this does not bode well...

I'm glad you said this first. 

• Love 5
"The Plymouth GTO crossed the city limits into Sunnydale. Gunn looked out the window at the dark and quiet town. “So THIS is Sunnydale? And it’s a Hellmouth? Are you guys sure?”

The car eventually came to a stop in front of a house with all of the windows lit."

Apologies for bad quoting, I'm on my phone with limited data access. Gunn asked a question and then the car comes to a stop. Would that make him a... CuriousParker?

And I'm prepared to die. I mean, prepared to play a Princess Bride game!

Edited by SilverStormm
added a quote box for you
  • Love 5

As we are the next game in line now, Biz and I would like to reveal that the next mafia game will be 'The Princess Bride mafia',

YAAAAAAAS. Amazing! My only problem is that I will be sad if just about any character is killed off.

I'm glad you said this first. 

Well luckily for all of us, I'm not the only mod :D

• Love 4

Apologies for bad quoting, I'm on my phone with limited data access. Gunn asked a question and then the car comes to a stop. Would that make him a... CuriousParker?

I actually really like this, and I think it's in line with TJ's clue style as noted above.

• Love 4

I actually really like this, and I think it's in line with TJ's clue style as noted above.

I agree, it seems odd to phrase it "the car eventually came to a stop" as opposed to 'the car pulled up (or stopped) in front of a house...etc etc. I guess it could be just being flowery but still, it has merit.

• Love 2

I like the CuriousParker idea.

I also anticipate this for the Princess Bride game:

Everyone: I'm a hero!

Everyone Else: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Love 5

SilverStormm/CuriousParker (Xena: Warrior Princess)

OMG OMG OMG

I watched this with my boys, I am so hella excited for this game ... but seriously, I need a rewatch as it's been WAY too much time!!!

• Love 3

You know how I feel about no lynches...

1 to DL CuriousParker,(Oinky Boinky) 9 to forestall a stall 

Please people, I don't mind changing my vote if necessary. And I am seriously giving side eye to non contributors. They don't help us at all. 

I agree, it seems odd to phrase it "the car eventually came to a stop" as opposed to 'the car pulled up (or stopped) in front of a house...etc etc. I guess it could be just being flowery but still, it has merit.

I agree it is a curious way to park a car. 

• Love 2

I'm into it.  Be aggressive, B-E aggressive. [Don't B-E a non-contributor.]

2 to DL CuriousParker,(Oinky Boinky, Drogo) 8 to skip over the kissing parts

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 2

I like the CuriousParker idea.

I also anticipate this for the Princess Bride game:

Everyone: I'm a hero!

Everyone Else: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

You know how I feel about no lynches...

1 to DL CuriousParker,(Oinky Boinky) 9 to forestall a stall 

Please people, I don't mind changing my vote if necessary. And I am seriously giving side eye to non contributors. They don't help us at all. 

I agree it is a curious way to park a car. 

Sigh.

I don't think so, JayKay.  I think we're looking at a genius and it seems to me that the rest of you have your list of villainous suspects now.

2 to DL CuriousParker (Oinky Boinky, Drogo) 8 to skip over the kissing parts

1 to DL JayKay (CuriousParker) 9 to take the offensive like we've been practicing

I'm not not contributing (I love a double negative), however, I also dislike lynching when I'm unsure. The math needs to add up better and based on the size of that story + the fact there's only one clue + TJ's clue's are crazy sketchy (I fear stacey is equally diabolical) = chances of us hitting the bullseye are low. Therefore, I prefer to bide my time a little longer.

• Love 3

I agree we are probably going to miss the clues same as we missed them all in theGoT game. If you are waiting for the mud to clear, not likely it will. A vote today has the same information to work on as day 2 or 3.

• Love 2

I agree we are probably going to miss the clues same as we missed them all in theGoT game. If you are waiting for the mud to clear, not likely it will. A vote today has the same information to work on as day 2 or 3.

Disagree, we also have gameplay to base our suspicions on come day 2 or 3, which is equally, if not more, important than 'clues'.

• Love 2