Type keyword(s) to search

The Princess Bride Mafia

• Start Topic

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the long week I had at work, I hope no one minds if I pop in for one of those drinks. Since it's virtual, give me something with loads of cherry flavour! 

• Love 2

I just turned the raspberry margarita I invented black. Same delicious flavour, halloween colours. 

(it is really shitty weather here, golf cancelled so I am amusing myself mixologically.)

I don't know how to attach pictures - this one is pretty cool.

• Love 1

This is how I started by Sunday brunch today.  I ordered a spicy Bloody Mary, which always comes with a beer chaser, and then they told us Mimosas were complementary with brunch.  I drank them all.  :-P

4kofICt.png

• Love 5

so you would like the black margarita?

Not so much, but thanks. :) I'm iffy on raspberry.

Actually, we finished off a bottle of red wine with dinner (normal for us), grilled steaks and tomatoes, followed by too much dessert, and now my stomach really hurts. I might need a bit of a digestif....

aquarian1, that Bloody Mary looks like you might have been out by me. Except the garnish is a lot smaller and mimosas aren't free.

• Love 1

Guys. What do I need to do for alcohol poisoning?

Asking for a friend.

To get or to treat?  To get; simply drink more.  Easy as that.

To treat, see the above advice from Oinky for RL and Drogo for here.

Day 5

The Hunter Becomes The Hunted

GREENLAND! Greenland! the thought fumed around Vizzini’s mind as he inwardly raged about the giant’s abandonment of him, When I catch up with that great oaf, that’s where he’ll find himself! The man in black may have stolen his prize out from under his nose but he was undaunted, resolute, intent and determined to forge ahead with his plan; recapturing Princess Buttercup was the top priority. But first he had to find out exactly where she had been taken. All that thinking whilst he walked meant he hadn’t noticed how close he had gotten to the Fireswamp. He arrived at the perimeter of the gloomy looking area and paused, wary about entering the Fireswamp alone. He sat down on a nearby rock and did what he did best when confronted with a problem; he thought about it; he considered every possible outcome, he weighed the pros and cons, he assessed the likely consequence of each one and quite a while later finally came to the only possible logical conclusion; fuck that.
What he hadn’t considered was that in taking so long in his deliberations the sky had begun to darken. Vizzini swore to himself, realizing immediately that he wouldn’t make it back to the city, or even the Thieves Forest, before full dark. Fortunately, I was clever enough to bring enough basic equipment to make camp he reassured himself, pleased with his own foresight. By the time night had fallen and the stars were bright in the inky blackness above him, he’d set up his small tent, had a campfire going and had snared a not-so-clever rabbit, which was currently roasting above it. As he enjoyed his catch, the grease running down his fingers he planned what he would do come the morning, I may lose some time, but walking around the Fireswamp is the only logical option for a man of my skills. If they made it through I will be able to pick up their trail on the other side he reasoned. Pleased with this plan and his belly full, Vizzini decided it was time for sleep. He crawled into his tent and slept the peaceful sleep of the self-satisfied.
Drawn by the scent of roasted rabbit, another hunter prowled silently nearby; the predator was about to become the prey. The ROUS furtively stalked the campsite avoiding the fire; it followed the tantalizing aroma to the tent.
Vizzini awoke with a start, and in the space of a micro-second he went from being unsure what had caused this sudden irritating arousal and being annoyed by it to the disturbing realization that not only was he no longer inside his tent, but he was being dragged along the ground by his foot. Looking down at his feet he saw a ROUS had its jaws clamped around one foot, the long snout twitching as it dragged him toward the Fireswamp. He screamed. Panicking, he tried to grab at nearby branches as he passed them but they were infuriatingly just out of reach. He attempted to kick at the ROUS with his free foot but his blows weren’t sufficiently powerful to deter the creature. It pulled him deep into the Fireswamp before it finally released his foot, in terror Vizzini scrambled away backwards as fast as he could but his back hit a tree trunk which gave the ROUS the few moments it needed to jump onto him, knocking him back to the ground. Then Vizzini understood with horrifying clarity why it had dragged him in there rather than simply kill him back at the campsite; it had young to feed, he saw the smaller ratlike features staring back at him. As the ROUS’s pointed yellow teeth loomed close to his face he let out a terrified shriek, the thought that someone of his intellect should die in such a way was so utterly beyond his belief, he screamed the only possible thing that could be his final word in this life; “INCONCEIVABLE!!”.

A Big Mistake

Inigo was singing, loudly, as he celebrated the death of Count Rugen. Fezzik watched his best friend, feeling so very pleased for him, delighted to see Inigo so happy at last. As Inigo drunkenly belted out the last few lines of ‘My Way’ he staggered toward his giant friend with a huge smile on his face. The tavern patrons all clapped when the performance came to an end, “clearly they recognize true talent” Inigo said as he bowed. “Or they're too drunk to know any better” Fezzik teased him playfully. “My friend, my sword isn’t my only skill” Inigo replied just before another mug of ale found its way down his throat. Fezzik clapped him warmly on the back as he rose, “I think maybe some fresh air is a good idea” he said as he took Inigo’s arm and pulled him through the wooden tavern door. The cold night air was chilly but Inigo was warmly wrapped in his beer overcoat and felt good. He managed to stumble over to a nearby tree thinking to relieve himself but instead promptly passed out dead drunk.
Fezzik stood alone outside the tavern awaiting Inigo’s return, not being drunk he did feel the chill of the night air and decided to wrap himself in his holocaust cloak for warmth. He heard them coming before he saw them, the clank of metal and the march of uniform footsteps was unmistakable; palace guards, 6 of them, came into view. They approached Fezzik and one spoke, “How fortunate for us that a man of your size is uncommon, you’re under arrest and while we’re about it, where is your Spanish friend?”
“What for?” Fezzik asked feeling defensive.
“The murder of Count Tyrone Rugen” the guard replied, “don’t give us any trouble”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about” Fezzik shrugged.
“We’re here on the direct orders of Prince Humperdinck. You and you’re friend were seen, we have tortu-…questioned many witnesses, now where is your friend?!” the guard demanded.
Fezzik, who was never good at arguing, simply made a fist and thumped the guard on his helmet, he hit the floor, instantly unconscious. The remaining 5 guards all drew their swords as one. “I don’t wanna hurt anyone ok, I’m just having a drink with my friend, why don’t you all just leave me alone and go home?” Fezzik implored them. Ignoring his words a guard started to circle to his right, he hadn’t counted on Fezzik being quick due to his size. Fezzik grabbed the guard by the throat and snatched the sword out of his hand as his meaty fingers squeezed the guards windpipe until he passed out. Fezzik threw the sword into the trees, “Look, I told you, I don’t want no trouble, just leave me be” he pleaded. Two more guards decided to ignore his advice. They each went to his left and right, staying further away than the last, just out of reach of Fezzik’s grasp. Fezzik first lunged left grabbing the guard's swordarm as the one on the right thrust his sword at him, inflicting a small cut on his right side. Fezzik’s right arm flew out ferociously, staggering the guard as he was sent reeling backwards, tripping over a log. Following him, still holding the guard on his left Fezzik picked up the fallen one and banged their heads together hard enough to knock them both out. He looked at the final 2 guards but before he could speak, both guards looked at their fallen comrades, and then at each other before turning and running back the way they had come.
“INIGO!!!” Fezzik boomed.
Hearing no reply he went to look for his friend.

Zero Weddings and a Funeral

It was the day that Count Rugen was being laid to rest; the funeral service would take place later that day before the burial. Prince Humperdinck was going to give his close friend a fitting send off; nothing should be allowed to spoil it he had told the organisers. As the funeral procession made it’s way through the main city square, everyone watched silently on pain of death. Everyone except True Love’s Champion aka the Ancient Boo-er that is. When the coffin reached where she stood, she began to loudly shout “Boo! Boo! He was an enemy of true love. Boo! Boo! Good Riddance” Incensed at such flagrant insubordination let alone the insult to his friend, Prince Humperdinck called to the guards, “Arrest that hag this minute and shut her up!!”
The guards immediately grabbed the old woman and dragged her away still shouting “Boo! Boo!” The onlookers shifted uneasily. The Queen who had witnessed all of this, secretly admired the old woman’s courage to say what everyone thought but was afraid to say aloud. She had never liked Rugen or the influence he had exerted over her son but she said nothing. After the service and burial were finished the Queen paced her chambers unable to shake the thought of the old woman and what her fate was likely to be. She felt sorry for her, she had committed no crime, only to speak her mind and for that it was wrong she was to be punished, perhaps even executed. For once she decided to do something. Wrapping herself in a woolen cloak she left her chambers and made her way to the castle dungeon. The guard on duty was shocked to see the old Queen when she arrived, “I wish to talk with the old woman who was arrested today” she told him imperiously as she fixed him with a steely gaze. The guard hesitated momentarily but then nodded and led the Queen to the cell where the old woman was being held. “What is to be done with her?” the Queen asked as she followed him. “She is to be executed in the morning for treason your Highness” the guard replied smoothly. Well, we shall see about that The Queen thought to herself. The cell door opened and the Queen found herself face to face with the old crone, she looked at the guard “That will be all” she said, dismissing him. Turning back to the old woman, she waited until she heard the guards footsteps fading into the distance before speaking, “I’m going to get you out of here” she informed her. Raising her eyebrows in surprise the old woman could only manage, “Why??” The Queen explained, “I’m sick of the injustice in this kingdom, too long have I sat back and done nothing, this time I can do something and will!” The old woman expressed her gratitude and thanks. “Wait right here” the Queen told her. I can’t really do anything else thought the Ancient Boo-er but she simply nodded. The Queen made her way back to where the guard stood sentry, “Having confirmed it is the right woman I am here to ensure her release, take this” she said as she handed him a parchment. He unfurled the scroll and read; ‘By Royal Proclamation The Prisoner as confirmed by Her Majesty The Queen shall be released upon request. Signed His Royal Highness, Prince Humperdinck.’
The guard looked confused then finally nodded and went to release the prisoner. He returned with the old woman a few minutes later and the Queen took her by the arm and they walked outside together. Once out of earshot of the guards, the Queen told her, “Get out of here and move away, do not show your face in the city again, my ruse worked to get you free but once the proclamation is discovered to be false, they will be searching for you” The Ancient Boo-er breathed a sigh of relief, “I don’t know how to thank you-“ she began. “You can thank me by not being caught, now go” the Queen smiled at her. The old woman walked away at a brisk pace, turning to wave her gratitude at the smiling Queen.

Still Living Happily Ever After:

1. Oinky Boinky
2. Athena
5. The Crazed Spruce
6. stacey
8. Drogo
9. Lady Calypso
10. TJtrack99
12. caprice
14. SVNBob
15. Dougal
16. aquarian1
17. egavasc
18. CuriousParker replaced by Jesse

The Mostly ALL Dead:

Jesse – Yellin, Neutral, Recruitable.
You are the leader of The Brute Squad, neither a Hero or Villain unless recruited, until then you may choose to assist the heroes or villains as you see fit. You deal with outlaws and ruffians without mercy as instructed by your superiors. If recruited you will endeavour for your side to win.

Hanged Man – The King, A Hero, Mason with The Queen.
You are an old but kind man, slowly becoming senile, deaf, and difficult to understand… however, you are still King of Florin. Due to your ailing health, you’ve relinquished all but a few of the ruling duties to your son Prince Humperdinck, who has let the power go to his head and now looks to your neighbouring countries with greedy eyes. You have a soft spot in your heart for Buttercup because she once kissed you. Together with The Queen, you form a mason pair and may communicate outside the game thread.

CuriousParker – removed from the game upon request replaced by Jesse.

TMunz - A Florin peasant, a Hero.
One of Florin’s underclass, you’re nothing special (except in that trite “but everyone’s special” kinda way) and you’re none too clean, but you love your country and royal weddings. And food. Of any kind. You’re really not fussy.  You have no powers in this game.

Machiabelly - Westley, a Hero Investigator of sorts.
You are a brave man who left Buttercup to seek your fortune. Later reportedly murdered by the Dread Pirate Roberts, you in fact spent the time away learning everything the world could teach you, with the sole focus of returning to your beloved. Upon your return, you are disguised as the Man in Black, and intent on rescuing Buttercup from the clutches of Prince Humperdinck and any other threat. Because you are only searching for your true love Princess Buttercup, you may enquire of 1 player each night; "Is this my beloved Buttercup?" You will receive one of the following responses: Yes, No or No Result. If/when you do find her you will become a mason pair. Beware! Prince Humperdinck’s henchman searches for you, should he find you Humperdinck would have you tortured, at which time he will ask you(via the game mods) 3 questions, which you must answer truthfully. Find Buttercup fast, there is strength in numbers...

Lisin - Count Rugen, a Villain Protector.
Prince Humperdinck's right-hand man, you are a sadist and wannabe author, torture and pain being your special area of study. In fact, you have designed a diabolical machine to help you in your quest to learn everything there is to know about the maximum amount of pain a person can bear, as you believe these findings will be your legacy. Your biggest mistake in life was to murder Inigo Montoya's father... it has lead to his life long crusade to seek you out and make you more than a little bit dead. It’s not easy for you to hide your identity, as you are a unique man who has 6 fingers on his right hand.
As a Protector, you must choose a different player to protect each night. If Westley is handed over to you, you will torture him; you will be able to ask him 3 questions (via the game mods), which he must answer truthfully, he then automatically becomes your team's nightkill that night.

MarkHB - Vizzini, a Villain Investigator.
Owing to your brilliance, there is no doubt in your mind that you are the world’s #1 criminal genius. Being short of stature and also of temper due to your Sicilian blood, you sometimes misuse words in frustration if your plans are thwarted. A smug, ruthless man, you cannot refuse a battle of wits, even to the death, as you know you shall always win.
As an investigator, each night you may investigate one player in the game by PM'ing the mods. Should you find Westley you will hand him over to Prince Humperdinck for questioning. You will get results back in the form of Name & alignment or No Result.

Apologies for the delay but we felt it best not to post a new Day over a weekend. You have 48 hrs until nightfall, the usual lynch rules apply - if a minimum of 50% of the players have joined a lynch by the time that deadline arrives Day will be extended.

There is ONE clue in the story.

ETA NOTE:  There are 13 players left ... 7 are needed to perform a DL.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hush, corpse.

I love this story, BTW.  I've always disliked Vizzini - he was a real meanie.  He gets caught by a rat and thinks he'll get rabies, but then he becomes an entree for her rat babies.  That's what he gets for treating his staff with such disrespect. 

As Inigo drunkenly belted out the last few lines of ‘My Way’

I would pay good money to see Inigo Montoya sing "My Way."

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 2

No need to investigate or protect Drogo, Heroes.  I've been completely honest with my character clues, because as I told the Mods, I'm playing my favorite character in the film (my favorite in 1987 and my favorite today) - and well, this character is about as loyal and honest as they get.  And if the Villains want to use that info to kill me, whatever- come at me bro.  I got to be _________ for a few weeks; check it off the bucket list.

Dang- the Villains take things very literally. 

(edited)

HM was RIGHT!!! He didn't trust Mark from the beginning and he was right!

What I want to know is, which Hero can kill during the Night?  Story says Vizzini was killed by ROUS, maybe ROUS is a Hero Vigilante of sorts? 

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 1

I did forget that, Bob- good catch.  N2 and N4, it could be an even-numbered-Night ability, or a limited number of kills.

FWIW, I've been through the story a few times and I'm not seeing anything. 

The clues are very elusive. 

What do you think the chances that our Lisin clue and (Makers) Mark clue were anything other than coincidence?

If they were the clues maybe that helps us with others.

For now I am going on the basis of who I have come to trust.

Some have come straight out and given us their identity or act heroic, a few I was able to suss out.

If you look at your own lists of who has not made themselves known, who has not proven their trustworthyness- we need maybe two more from that list and we win. 

I would like to hear from Dougal, seems to be flying low.

And Drogo thank you for being my friend even tho we are separated by an impossible distance, time, and state.

• Love 1

That was a little too close for my taste. And my thanks to the lovely lady who provided the assist in keeping me safe, I'm truly grateful.

I'm going to spend some more time with the story over lunch. I'm also curious about what Dougal has to say. Who else has been quiet this game?

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm going to spend some more time with the story over lunch. I'm also curious about what Dougal has to say. Who else has been quiet this game?

egavasc and Dougal are most notable for me.

Neither was on the Lisin DL (Dougal actually cast a suicide vote that day, his only vote of the game so far) and both of them joined the TMunz/Hero DL. 

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 1

I would pay good money to see Inigo Montoya sing "My Way."

Could that be a clue? Frank Sinatra, Chairman of the Board? The way I read the story, that's the only anomaly. 

• Love 2

Jesse, it's interesting, but I'm not sure how we'd tie Sinatra to anyone here. Maybe if we look at covers of the song?

Night 4

The time for honouring yourself will soon be at an end…

Still Living Happily Ever After:

1. Oinky Boinky
2. Athena
5. The Crazed Spruce
6. stacey
8. Drogo
9. Lady Calypso
10. TJtrack99
12. caprice
14. SVNBob
15. Dougal
16. aquarian1
17. egavasc
18. CuriousParker replaced by Jesse 

This was about all I noticed in the Night story. Well, this and my sheer glee at seeing Rugen die. Anyway, how a quote from Gladiator fits is currently beyond me.

• Love 2

Jesse, it's interesting, but I'm not sure how we'd tie Sinatra to anyone here. Maybe if we look at covers of the song?

Sid Vicious? egavasc??

Gladiator the Russell Crowe movie? 

• Love 1

His first album was inspired by the "bobby soxers".

Also, My Way was written by Paul Anka and there's this DJ named DJ Dougal, his real name being Paul Clarke.

• Love 1

That is what I am thinking LC wise also. 

And yes Dougal and Egavasc - where are they, what have they said or done that is helpful at all?

Curious Parker now Jesse was on us to investigate TMunz and that DL did not clear her. 

And Crazed Spruce - elusive spruce?

• Love 2

My inherent lurkerness is a real hindrance in these games. I don't like to chime in unless I'm confident in something and I so rarely have any handle on what is going on in these games until much later in the game. I felt something wonky was going on with TMunz and I spoke up and lynched a hero which I hate doing. YesterDay I felt wary of OBs posts but she's obviously a hero so I trust her thoroughly now. I'm really not good at this (can never find clues, can't seem to read people's posts for villainous subtext) so I try not to lead astray or point fingers unless I actually know anything.

But the ROUS attacks (successful and not) on even nights does feel like a serial killer and definitely seems like they can't attack on odd nights. Based on the structure of the game it's strange to have a SK who can only attack on every other night if there's not another or SK or a large team of villains. But I can't find anything in the stories to prove that. So I'm still in the dark, just have a few more people I know I can trust.

• Love 2
(edited)

The Machine.

Would it make sense for Rugen's device to start killing on its own after Rugen's death?

If I get killed I hope it's Death by ROUS. Shameful to be killed by someone named Humperdinck. So embarrassing.

Edited by Drogo

Definition of Pernicious; harmful, damaging, destructive, injurious, hurtful, detrimental, deleterious, dangerous, adverse, inimical, unhealthy, unfavorable, bad, evil, baleful, wicked, malign, malevolent, malignant, noxious, poisonous, corrupting; literary; maleficent

Definition of Sprout: verb(of a plant) put forth shoots.
noun  sprout; plural noun: sprouts

1.     a shoot of a plant.
    2.     short for Brussels sprout.

Bear with me here - while it's not an actual synonym, could Pernicious be referring to someone who is...crazed? And what about sprout of a plant? Like maybe a tree sprout? Have we sorted out who (sorry Spruce!) @The Crazed Spruce is yet? I can't remember...

• Love 2

Could that be a clue? Frank Sinatra, Chairman of the Board? The way I read the story, that's the only anomaly. 

I agree this is most likely a clue, but I can't believe that none of you thought of this.

Another one of Sinatra's nicknames is "Old Blue Eyes."  That brings us back to Billy Idol and aquarian1.

• Love 1

Another one of Sinatra's nicknames is "Old Blue Eyes."  That brings us back to Billy Idol and aquarian1.

Maybe it's because I've only had 4 hours of sleep, but I don't get this. What does "Old Blue Eyes" have to do with Billy Idol or me?
  • Love 1

Definition of Pernicious; harmful, damaging, destructive, injurious, hurtful, detrimental, deleterious, dangerous, adverse, inimical, unhealthy, unfavorable, bad, evil, baleful, wicked, malign, malevolent, malignant, noxious, poisonous, corrupting; literary; maleficent

Definition of Sprout: verb(of a plant) put forth shoots.

noun  sprout; plural noun: sprouts

1.     a shoot of a plant.

2.     short for Brussels sprout.

Bear with me here - while it's not an actual synonym, could Pernicious be referring to someone who is...crazed? And what about sprout of a plant? Like maybe a tree sprout? Have we sorted out who (sorry Spruce!) @The Crazed Spruce is yet? I can't remember...

No nothing in my notes to clear CS.

You know if a sprout was tenacious and a bit wacky it could work its way into being some sort of tree and that tree could be a spruce. 

Regarding My Way (I hate Frank Sinatra and had to suffer through My Way and (ugh) Paul Anka a lot in my youth since he is from my city) the only thing I think of is Peggy and Don dancing to this song in the office.

• Love 1