Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Whatever It Takes

chitowngirl

They didn't destroy a family?  They made a good call?  Have they slipped into an alternate dimension?  They actually had the evidence in hand, and decided against destroying a family.  Their hearts grew 3 sizes.

Stop with the Brian and Katrina nonsense.  They were great as friends, but the writers just had to do a romance plot with them, and continue with it.  Couldn't just leave them as friends.

• Love 3

Why is Harvey going to Pittsburgh with Samantha and without Donna?  I would not be okay with my guy road tripping with another woman.  Are they going into a Harvey and Sam relationship?

That was a great scene with Faye and her ex. The first thing she did was insult his weight and his diet.  She is just so unlikeable and bitchy.  Great acting by Denise Crosby.

Does anyone know the actor who played the husband?

Given what a jerk Faye is, I think that Harvey should have gone through with reporting Faye to the bar.  She doesn't have empathy for others and doesn't deserve any from the firm.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Does anyone know the actor who played the husband?

Kevin Dunn, fantastic supporting actor.  Never really the lead guy, but that's not a bad thing.  He's had a long successful career as just being a supporting actor.

• Useful 2

So last week we got the long-awaited and highly anticipated return of Mike to face off against his former Jedi Master Harvey, and this week we got the not-as-long-awaited and considerably less anticipated return of Brian to face off against his former almost-lover Katrina.  And just as Samantha messed up the Mike and Harvey bout, I expected Susan to mess up the Brian and Katrina bout.  Well, at least that didn't happen, but I could've lived without it at all.  Except that Katrina is one of the few characters I actually still like, so I guess we take what we can get.

Ugh! with the feels and attempted feels.  The firm is a family.  We will do whatever it takes to protect our family.  Except do something that might hurt someone else's family, even if they totally deserve it, we hate them, and they are currently threatening our family.

They seem to be going out of their way to present Alex and Katrina as the only two who are basically virtuous and ethical, and everyone else has to really work hard at it.  Actually, that seems about right.  If I had to guess, I think most people assume that most lawyers are scumbags but there are a few who are okay.

At least Samantha is gone.  So is it now Specter-Litt-Williams?

On 8/22/2019 at 6:34 AM, nittanycougar said:

That was a great scene with Faye and her ex. The first thing she did was insult his weight and his diet.  She is just so unlikeable and bitchy.  Great acting by Denise Crosby.

I agree that her acting is great, but "bitchy"? Fat jokes are wrong, but that really wasn't one. Not only is it actually not a good idea to eat that at his weight, given that he couldn't care less that she was looking out for their daughter's wellbeing, she was justified in anything she said to that walking waste of space. So far, I find Faye far more likeable than Harvey, Louis or Samantha almost every time they clash. Every time she's spoken to them harshly it's been because they warranted it, not for shits and giggles. How many barbs has Harvey thrown at people without being labelled "bitchy"?

• Love 2
On 8/22/2019 at 6:34 AM, nittanycougar said:

Why is Harvey going to Pittsburgh with Samantha and without Donna?  I would not be okay with my guy road tripping with another woman.  Are they going into a Harvey and Sam relationship?

Based on Harvey and Samantha's personalities (which are like magnets of the same charge) and the nature of their relationship, I think there's about as much chance of that happening as of either of them making a move on a relative. If it does, it'll be a soap opera-esque misstep on the show's part.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Love 1

Yes, I think Faye is a bitch, and I believe the actress is intentionally portraying her as one.  She has been shown threatening the jobs of multiple employees and using their personal lives against them.  If I worked for her, I would hate her.  If they had a man in Faye's part threatening everyone and insulting his ex, I would feel the same way about that character.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Yes, I think Faye is a bitch, and I believe the actress is intentionally portraying her as one.  She has been shown threatening the jobs of multiple employees and using their personal lives against them.  If I worked for her, I would hate her.  If they had a man in Faye's part threatening everyone and insulting his ex, I would feel the same way about that character.

She only threatened the jobs of employees (or specifically, partners; she hasn't threatened any rank and file employees, in fact she did the opposite, and I appreciate that) after they'd done something unethical and/or stupid, and the only time she mentioned their personal lives was Donna and Harvey's relationship, which as much as I don't like it is a valid concern when both have a vote. She is not a bitch. However, the other partners having a right to waive conflict for Donna and Harvey because they trust their relationship won't influence how they vote is a good solution.

Harvey, Louis and Samantha have yelled at Faye at the slightest opportunity when she was initiating a civil conversation about firm business, and repeatedly tried to fight her with the same kind of behavior she was brought in because of instead of cleaning up their acts. She had little reason to view them as more than unruly children in the first few episodes. At least now they seem to have settled down and the tone going both ways has softened, starting with Faye and Gretchen's conversation about Louis.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Love 3

To me, Faye seems like a person who has who believes that doing the right, ethical thing supersedes everything, co-workers, friends, marriage, and of course money. She's aware that people hate her but she feels that she has to be true to herself.

It's not that she doesn't care about other people, she does. She was upfront on what she wanted from the firm when she arrived (honesty and to work ethically).  She went to Donna to hold the firm together emotionally, and she sacrificed so that her daughter would continue to hold a good opinion of her father.

She's one of those people whose standards are so high both for herself and others, it is impossible to live with her.

• Love 2
On 8/22/2019 at 1:47 PM, Orbert said:

They seem to be going out of their way to present Alex and Katrina as the only two who are basically virtuous and ethical, and everyone else has to really work hard at it.  Actually, that seems about right.  If I had to guess, I think most people assume that most lawyers are scumbags but there are a few who are okay.

Maybe the series will end with Specter-Litt-Williams burning down because, i dunno, someone left the blender on too long making a smoothie, then Alex and Katrina, along with Susan and Gretchen so form a law firm.

Why Susan? They actually made her feel somewhat human in this episode, when she was doing that little desk celebration when Katrina said she is her associate!

I agree with your reasoning regarding Susan, but it seems a little weird that they've followed up with her in this way.  When Susan pulled that crap on Katrina earlier, essentially trying to blackmail her, I figured she was done.  But now things are great between them after that one case and she'll be Katrina's associate.  It seems a strange twist.  Maybe they decided that Katrina needs an associate and they didn't want to introduce yet another character.

True!  I certainly hadn't thought about it.

Maybe they were thinking that when they brought Brian back, people would wonder why Katrina never got another associate.  But that's reaching.  Harvey never got another associate after Mike left.  Did Louis ever have one?  Samantha and Alex didn't.

Actually, I think we're putting more thought into it right now than the writers ever did.

• Love 1

I think they probably drew straws on which character got an associate - or decided that the only main or recurring character that wasn't involved in a lot of the horrible stuff that happens is Katrina, and they needed to show more lawyers on the show so you knew the firm wasn't completely empty anymore - sure, they have issues getting people to apply, but they still have some people.

16 hours ago, Orbert said:

Maybe they were thinking that when they brought Brian back, people would wonder why Katrina never got another associate.  But that's reaching.  Harvey never got another associate after Mike left.  Did Louis ever have one?  Samantha and Alex didn't.

Actually, I think we're putting more thought into it right now than the writers ever did.

I think you are right about the writers.  Maybe they wanted the "romantic drama" of Brian/Katrina, because we sure aren't getting it with Donna and Harvey who seem to have lost any kind of chemistry in their characters.  We will watch til the bitter end, but, it has lost so much this season.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Orbert said:

I think Katrina had been Louis's associate before her promotion to partner.

I don't work in BigLaw, but my understanding is that it's not as though there is a formal arrangement where a given partner has one dedicated associate assigned to him/her. 

And yeah, we are totally putting more thought into this and most other subjects than the writers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/28/2019 at 1:26 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

I think Katrina had been Louis's associate before her promotion to partner.

I don't work in BigLaw, but my understanding is that it's not as though there is a formal arrangement where a given partner has one dedicated associate assigned to him/her. 

And yeah, we are totally putting more thought into this and most other subjects than the writers.

Katrina was Louis's associate