Type keyword(s) to search

Futurama Mafia

• Start Topic

Maybe a friendly agreement not to vote in the first 12 hours? I feel like sometimes it is just obvious toward the end of a game, and there is no reason to wait. 

• Love 1
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ever played 4 games of online Mafia, not just here but ever, and it seems sometimes things happen fast and you miss it and sometimes they don't.  We just happened to have 2 fast DLs in a row.  I empathize for those that feel left out (as I've been frustrated when I missed some action in the past) and so will go with whatever changes anyone sees fit.  That said, just because we delay a vote for 12 hours doesn't mean it still won't happen fast once the voting window is open.  So voting window could not open until 12 hours after a story, but then a DL could be completed in just 1 hour after that.  It all depends on who is online and just happens to see there's something going on.  I think that's just the nature of message board type gaming.  I could be wrong though, because like I said this is only my 4th game ever.  Maybe don't close voting/start twilight until X hours, to give people a chance to see the vote and then comment or defend themselves and see if any changes are made?  (of course, as these things tend to go, this probably won't be an issue in the next "day" for whatever reason, just because it's happened twice doesn't mean it will happen that fast again).

• Love 1

I've only ever played 4 games of online Mafia, not just here but ever, and it seems sometimes things happen fast and you miss it and sometimes they don't.  We just happened to have 2 fast DLs in a row.  I empathize for those that feel left out (as I've been frustrated when I missed some action in the past) and so will go with whatever changes anyone sees fit.  That said, just because we delay a vote for 12 hours doesn't mean it still won't happen fast once the voting window is open.  So voting window could not open until 12 hours after a story, but then a DL could be completed in just 1 hour after that.  It all depends on who is online and just happens to see there's something going on.  I think that's just the nature of message board type gaming.  I could be wrong though, because like I said this is only my 4th game ever.  Maybe don't close voting/start twilight until X hours, to give people a chance to see the vote and then comment or defend themselves and see if any changes are made?  (of course, as these things tend to go, this probably won't be an issue in the next "day" for whatever reason, just because it's happened twice doesn't mean it will happen that fast again).

I see your point. I would be fine with either waiting until the 12 hour mark to start votes, or allow voting to stay open a little longer even after it hits its required target. That way, people can jump in  and defend and we could have way more discussion, as I feel the fast voting the last two days has closed off discussion rather quickly, even with Twilight. I mean, we got a little discussion in and I love the idea of Twilight, but the Day is supposed to be used for more discussion and figuring out who's bad and who isn't, and Twilight should be just a major perk to continue discussions that have already been ongoing during the Day. Just my thoughts, though. 

• Love 2

I so agree with A1. Even if we wait 12 hours it could go very fast then.

What about the person who then can't vote 12 hours later?

In every single game we have the 'oh darn I missed another vote' people and ones who rarely miss.

We had two days of waffling and wasting time and the clock ran out on us with no DL and two days where we made sure we got it done. I would rather get it done. I did tell people to slow down.

Maybe something like don't wait to start but put a wait on the last vote. But then what happens if that last vote then doesn't make it?

What happens if voting is held 12 hours and we don't get enough in the remaining hours?

It happens every game that people miss the vote and in this game that we ran out of time.

• Love 1

I have played so many with people all over the world in different time zones. the ones who make it make it all the time. Non posters don't post. Non voters don't vote.

And then there are some who miss occasionally but if they have been posting and discussing they have helped us decide and are there in spirit and influencing that vote we came to.

• Love 1

Maybe something like don't wait to start but put a wait on the last vote. But then what happens if that last vote then doesn't make it?

What happens if voting is held 12 hours and we don't get enough in the remaining hours?

It happens every game that people miss the vote and in this game that we ran out of time.

There would still be a 36 hour period for voting, just like there is now. I'm not trying to condense voting time, just trying to ensure that there is more time for people to have a chance to at least say something. The last two votes took 6 hours and 12 hours respectively and only on Day 2 was a vote not successfully completed. 

I'm just trying to ensure that everyone gets a chance to participate. Games aren't fun if you don't get the chance to play in them. 

• Love 1

The voting rules\times should be left up the individual game mods.

In general, missing out on a vote or two is par for the course in this game.  Lynches being over quickly?  Also par for the course.  It's been that way since we started playing.  I find it peculiar that now there is a problem.  To me, it looks like a quick lynch was all well and good as long as it went in you're favor or didn't affect you.  After a year of playing, to come out now cussing and spitting nails is poor sportsmanship.  I admit that I'm not all that competitive and play for a lark and some laughs.  Maybe that's why I don't see what all the fuss is about.  What I do know is that when a game starts causing hard feelings, it's no longer a game I want to participate in.

I'm surprised it was 6 and 12 hours. That is pretty decent to me. 

I think the heroes in this game felt behind the 8 ball, 2 days no DL and one because we ran out of time.

I know I was nervous it just wouldn't get done.

A roll on someone can go either way really fast and flip really fast. Maybe that is part of the strategy?

Up to the individual mod. And what CP said. 

• Love 1

Are we still in twilight?

For this story I think we found the clue- whirlygig- Some of us did discuss our thoughts about who we don't trust.  

Is there something someone wanted to discuss that we missed?

Did someone want to DL someone else? I would certainly like to hear that. It is valuable information.

• Love 1

Here's my take on it:

I can see how it would be annoying for the story to go up in what is for some, the early hours of the morning, then having to get up and go straight to work. Have no internet access at work and then get home to find you've been DL'd without a chance to defend yourself.

Is it perfect? No.

However, nothing has really changed other than Day doesn't end when a DL is completed, in fact, we get to continue discussing it - not just for 12 extra hours (they are for Twilight actions only) but right up until the Night story is posted.

We all know that those are the risks of playing when you're in a different timezone/are unable to access the internet as frequently as others, but this isn't new information. My point is this; those of us who have played over the last year or so have always known that we risk missing a DL sometimes, but shit happens, you just have to wipe your ass and move on. 

If all or most of the DL's were going through super fast in EVERY game then maybe it would need reworking, but that isn't the case, imo it's just been pure circumstance that it's happened this way for the last 2 DL's.

• Love 4

Oh god, I really hope that I wasn't coming across as a poor sport or just needlessly complaining. Goodness, that is not my intention! I just found that I've missed the last DL because I wasn't awake for it, and I got to vote in the last DL, but only because I happened to be online at the right time. I guess I just wanted to put out in forewarning that perhaps slowing down on DLs, especially when you notice there only needs to be one or two more votes to a DL, should be kept in mind. I know that I've been called out for missing DLs (and yes, those DLs have not always been done quickly) so if someone misses a couple of DLs because they were finished in 12 hours, let's say, it would feel weird to call them out later on for missing particular DLs. Not that it might not be orchestrated to coincidentally missing DLs, but if they were honestly unable to vote because of the voting period being shorter, then that is something that needs to be considered as well.

So yeah, sorry for bringing the matter up, but maybe it's better that we're nipping this minor (very minor) problem in the butt now? But seriously, don't mind me. I didn't mean to cause any fights. I can be wrong sometimes. 

Also, I'll admit, sometimes I need a gentle reminder on why someone is being DL'd if the reasons are from a previous day and I can't/don't have the time to go back a couple of pages to re-read the reasons. But that's a me problem, not a you problem. 

• Love 2

I probably would have started a DL on either caprice or MMCS if the Biz DL wasn't already happening.

Agreed. 

Do you think there is any risk that all of our investigators may end up looking at same person?

It seems we don't have a serial killer. We had someone with two votes  who is dead, and I believe a blocker but can't remember who that was.  Wonder what other tricks are at play. Role switcher would explain more than one person appearing to be the professor. 

• Love 1

I can't investigate anyone tonight so no duplication from me, OB. I think either of those 2 or Firearcher would be prime investigation subjects.

I don't think Firearcher is claiming Professor anymore, I don't know if Firearcher ever meant to claim Professor. To be honest, I'm still a little tipsy from FA's last post. (Where am I...?)

Protectors, you know who needs you and who doesn't.

I'll be in the boidoir with this WD-40 if anyone needs me.

p.s. My not-French phone doesn't know how to spell boudoir.

• Love 1

The way I see it, for every DL that's rushed through, there's at least one that's called because we couldn't reach a consensus. I've missed more than my fair share of votes because I couldn't make it online in time. That's the nature of the game. No point in griping about it.

Don't lubricate yourself too hard, Drogo, you'll wind up with rusty palms.

• Love 2

Okay, well just for a lark let's try a 48 hour day that doesn't allow voting for the first twelve hours. If it's terribly quiet for those first twelve hours we'll go back to how things are currently. This at the very least will give me more time so I'm not writing a story every day (I'm not used to it and my writing muscles are sore y'all!). 

Thank you all very much for your thoughts on the matter. We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcasts. The night story will go up sometime tomorrow afternoon. 

• Love 3

I missed the speed DL and then the discussion on speed DLs?  How's that for irony?

To add my thoughts anyway; it was in part to counter the speed DL that I made the ruling in the last One Night game that I would not start counting the vote as official until a certain hard-coded time.  (It also helped to mimic the rules of the original game about not actually voting until everyone agrees to vote or discussion time ends, whichever happens first.)

If we were to use a variation of that rule, perhaps then the cycle becomes this:

Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night.

Story post starts Morning, with discussion and voting as usual, but voting doesn't become official until Afternoon.  Twilight becomes Evening, with the continuing discussion and some power usage.  And Night remains the same with the next story, Night powers, and bar shenanigans.

As to the meta-discussion on the speed DL issue: To begin with, CP is absolutely correct. Additionally, it looked like everyone was very mature about the discussion in general.  A potential problem was brought up, people gave their thoughts about whether it was an issue, and possible "fixes" for it.  No one shouted anyone down nor called anyone else's opinion wrong.  Very respectable and respectful all around.  Something I've come to expect around here, but is still pretty rare on the Internet in general.  A round for everyone on me for that.

• Love 3

More cheeky banter, less finger pointing at poor aliens! Anyway, I welcome an investigation of me to clear my good name which has been horribly and ruthlessness besmirched by the metal libertine on a fainting couch.

FWIW, we have a 4 day weekend for Easter, so I'll be only in and out while I take The Boy out and try to tire him out. Bringing it up now so that no one reads anything into it.

• Love 1

the metal libertine on a fainting couch.

Then you wonder why you're not allowed in the boudoir. 

I agree with Bob that this group is one of the finest on the internet.  I respect and enjoy each of you, and I'll be forever grateful to the Lady caprice for inviting me here last year.  For me, what's most important is that the game mods get to run their game (to which they devote much time and effort to) the way they choose to ensure the best possible game, and that the players enjoy the time we have together while we're here. 

We won't all be playing here forever (Pour one out for those we've lost along the way: writing dreamer, JayKay...)

Pour-out-some-liquor.jpg

*Floats in*

To add my thoughts anyway; it was in part to counter the speed DL that I made the ruling in the last One Night game that I would not start counting the vote as official until a certain hard-coded time.

Agree, I think the mod could alleviate some of the stress by stating maybe 6-12 hours prior to a post as to that a post is coming. Thus when anyone logs in and checks the site they will know when a new story is getting posted. btw I don't have any problem with the way it currently is but I do love looking for solutions to problems.

So say hypothetically a Night story happens tonight. Then we have night and the esteemed egavasc posts on Sunday night (for me anyway) that a new day story is in 8 or 10 or however many hours (best to use how many hours away the post is instead of a specific time, time zones confuse people, particularly when they don't know when yours is). So as long as someone checks in once a dayish they will have the 8-10-12 hour warning plus the actual discussion time.

*floats out*

• Love 2

*floats in* 

After I missed a whole Day because I was hungover from my birthday I subscribed to this thread and made my preferences that I get an email notification of every post... Yes, it's a lot of email, but I also never miss anything anymore. 

Also also, I do think these past two votes have been ultra fast but I think that's very specific to this round and it's for reasons involving Game and since I'm dead I won't comment on that more because... dead. AVENGE ME!!

• Love 4

Yay potential solutions! I can definitely try to alert y'all to when a story may go up if that will help. It may help my procrastination (don't need the shame of y'all knowing how long it takes me to write these things).  I'm working on the night one now, which will most assuredly go up sometime this evening. 

• Love 2

Oh and every time I see the words 'speed DL' it took 12 hours!

To be fair, 12 hours that included all night in the US. I mean, it's not unusual that I would sign off here at 10pm and not get back on until lunchtime, which is why I missed that whole window.

• Love 2

Thanks as always for your patience. It's been a long week and naps are very vital to my creative process. And by creative process I mean so that the stories don't look like my head landed on my keyboard when I went to post them! 

Night 4
          “BRANNIGAN!” Nixon’s disembodied voice boomed out across the bridge. Earth’s president was hugely disappointed in how this war was going, as it was in fact not going. His head of military was seemingly inept so Nixon and Agnew had flown out to the Nimbus to ensure that Nixon’s will be done.
          “Yes sir, Mr. President sir.” Brannigan replied earnestly.
          “Brannigan. Why are we not at war yet? I have heard nothing from those PTV bastards so clearly we have not initiated an attack. What the hell is the delay?”
          “Sir. There hasn’t been a delay. Merely strategizing. Going to war against a planet is simple, often all you need is a proper doomsday device. Going to war against a galaxy is a whole different ballgame. Much like Blurnsball, the PTV galaxy is large and complex and requires a delicate hand. A strong, sexy, delicate hand. These hands. Besides we’ve already sent in the first wave of attack ships. Those red uniformed men are doing their duty and we salute their bravery and courage in their likely hour of doom.”
          “Excellent then. With ships attacking every planet in the galaxy, it won’t be long before those snarksters get what’s coming to them. And then all of the snark will be mine. Aaarrrooooo!”
          “Mr. President, let’s celebrate our inevitable victory. Kif! A bottle of our finest Champ-paggin.”
          “Captain Brannigan. It may be a little early for celebrating. I think you should…”
          “Nonsense Kif! The bottle please!” Zapp interrupted, as was his way.
          Suddenly, the ship shook aggressively splashing much of the water out of Nixon’s jar. The ship’s AI spoke, “Alert. The shields have been attacked. Shields now at forty percent.”
          “Captain Brannigan, you should really see this.” Kif urged.
          “Not now Kif! We’re under attack! Fire all lasers.”
          “You haven’t even seen the target sir. I really truly think you should come see this.”
          “Fine Kif, I will come look. Oh good god! Is that what I think it is?”
          “Yes Captain. I believe that they have sent in space dragons from the GoT planet. Their flames are soon going to engulf the ship and our lasers are basically useless against them.”
          “Kif! Get us out of here!”

Meanwhile, our heroes were on their way to the Stackhouseverse unaware of course of the first wave of attacks issued by the rather incompetent Zapp Brannigan. Everything had been going fine, as it usually did right before something absolutely terrible happened. Aboard ship were Leela (of course, no ship could fly without its captain. I mean, most ships produced in the 31st century had very excellent auto pilot but the Professor was far too cheap for the upgrades.), Bender (who was utterly necessary as no humans were safe on the vampire planet) and Fry (who was ultimately unnecessary on this mission as he couldn’t make the delivery but he was bored and didn’t want to miss anything fun). The crew had entered into the PTV galaxy and were nearing their destination when the ship began to encounter projectiles flying in their general direction.
           “Strap in everyone!” Ordered Leela. “We seem to be under attack. I’m not sure what these projectiles are though.” She efficiently fired a shot at one of the flying red things and it exploded sending what appeared to be pulp and seeds with a large flash.
           “Are those….tomatoes?” Fry asked. “Cause it sure looks like they’re tomatoes. Is someone firing tomatoes at us? Why would someone use giant space tomatoes as a weapon?”
           “They’re tomato bombs! They’re highly dangerous and incredibly messy.”
           “And some people make deliciously explosive ketchup with them,” interjected Bender.
           “It’s going to be a bumpy ride everyone. I’m going to do some very artful flying so that we can safely make it to the planet. Once we’re there hopefully we can figure out what the hell is going on.”

Will our heroes make their delivery safely? Can Leela out fly the tomato bombs? Did anyone aboard the Nimbus escape the dragons safely? What exactly happened here? Who knows!

Still Alive and Well in New New York

• MarkHB
  • CuriousParker
  • Drogo
  • SilverStormm
  • Athena
  • MuuMuuChainsmoker
  • Jesse
  • Machiabelly
  • saoirse
  • SVNBob
  • Firearcher
  • aquarian1
  • Lady Calypso
  • OinkyBoinky
  • Dougal
  • The Crazed Spruce
  • caprice
  • BizBuzz
  • The Onion Knight

Now in Robot Hell

• HangedMan - Scruffy - Magistrate
    What else can be said, you are Scruffy. Planet Express’s janitor, most of the employees have no idea you exist. Regardless, you have a deep and abiding love for Planet Express (and your mop bucket). Where else could you do so little and get away with viewing so much Zero G Juggs? As such, during twilight you may protect someone from the results of a day lynch if you fear they have been wrongly accused.
  • TJtrack99 - Nibbler - double vote.
    You are Lord Nibbler, a proud and ancient Nibblonian. You live in New New York, disguised as a pet owned by Leela. Leela believes she rescued you from the Planet Vergon 6. Your race (who live long and are celebrated poopers) serve as protectors of the universe. Despite your small size, you have a voracious appetite and will eat just about everything in sight. Your intelligence grants you a second anonymous vote during the day.
  • Deadpool - Huge Brain - role blocker
    You are the Huge Brain of the Brainspawn, an alien race set out to understand the whole universe. Once your race has compiled all of the information on the universe, you will destroy it to ensure no future information can be created. Your race has the power to stupification fields, making everyone in the vicinity dumber. Your ability to block the Delta Brain Wave allows you to select one person per night and stop their abilities for the night.
  • Lisin - Hermes - Tracker
    You are Hermes Conrad, Grade 36 bureaucrat and proud of it. If there ever was a man born to file, stamp, and collate it would be you. Before becoming a bureaucrat professionally (let’s be real, you’ve always been a bureaucrat. You were requiring applications in triplicate to your tenth birthday party!), you were an Olympic limboer who was only bested by your fiercest rival Barbados Slim. Although you are anal only 78.36% of the time, each night you may fill out the proper forms to track the movements of one player.

There are no clues in the story. Night will last for 24 hours. Please get your actions in by Saturday 11:30pm EDT. Enjoy the bar!

• Love 1

So, so lost. Oh well, I'll spend the weekend with what's about to become the Elite Eight (GoZags, Go Ducks!), although I'd really love to understand how teams from WA and NY are considered Mid-west....

I'm going to need vodka.

• Love 1