Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: A Bout, A Girl

• Start Topic

(edited)

I still really like Killjoys, as always, but not too sure that placing the main characters in a multi-ep "stuck in prison" arc in the middle of the final season is the best idea.  I know the B & C plots are doing the heavy lifting right now in the plot advancement, but when the A-story is "stuck in prison" in episodes that makes it feel like a 'momentum stall', that hampers full viewer enjoyment  (at least IMO).

With TAF doing the prison thing, could have used some more TAS scenes.

Hard to believe, when thinking back to the first couple of seasons, but - aside from Pawter's dad - Khlyen has turned out to be the best father figure in The J.   Here we thought he was being a real POS asshole for treating Yalena the way he did, raising her as an assassin, etc, but it turns out he was doing the best things possible in preparing her for this current war against The Lady [& previously the Hullen].

For some reason, they sure seem intent on trying to humanize the monster [IE, The Lady].   Fully demonstrate her as a galaxy-destroying (or reshaping) megalomaniac or go full on with turning her into an emotional wreck who can't stay composed enough to keep up the domination of her army.  Just. pick. one. already.

And now we have DSK looking like an actual human with feelings and emotions, too.  Geez.  Laying it on pretty thick here, writers.  Not too sure what the deal is with her dreaming about Jaq'sFather!D'avin, though - dream-warning system, at that.

Hello again, Aneela.  So, now what?  Are we to think that this cube they've found is a Hullen source that wasn't destroyed??  And if it wasn't, how???

Sparlow was working with Corran and double-crossed TAF.  Probably really should have seen that coming.  Seems like an expectable trope, even if it isn't.

Since there wasn't a final resolution to it, I'm guessing the warden got dinged, but will survive being shot [when Johnny found her sitting against the wall in his final scene].  And now I'm wondering how long she will survive, because I could be wrong, but I believe I saw her reacting to Johnny's not-flirting passes at her when she asked him for his 'expertise' help with the slop feeder systems.  And if that is what I saw, will she just be a 'quick [emotional] fling' or Johnny's HEA?

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

Hmm, there's a lot to untangle here. I'm equally annoyed and impressed by the prison break plot. Annoyed because I agree it's eating up way too much time and impressed how many great emotional beats they managed to add. Johnny's messed up due to the brain-rape - whether it impacted him more because it was based on true feelings he had for Dutch or because the Lady doubled down on him in order to break Dutch is up for debate (it could also be both). Dutch is struggling with having lost her 'gravity'; and D'Av understands but can't help - in short: the A-Team is in major trouble even without all the exterior problems they're facing. As for their exterior problems: always look for the variable the main trouble-makers have not in their sight. In this case the Qreshi sister with a fraternal problem. No idea how, but that plot is probably going to save the A-Team. Well that and whatever Johnny is doing with the Warden, who could have potential as a love interest had she shown up earlier. At this point I don't think there's enough time - but we'll see.

Of course DSK managed to get a kick-ass outfit for running through the woods Arrow-style. Mako Nguyen is one of my favorites and she always delivers but DSK remains the bitch who killed Pawter and does not deserve a happy ending - never forget that show! Quite frankly I could have done without Aneela for the rest of the show's run but there we go.

And now to the episode biggest problem: no B-Team! I don't care for the Lady's lessons in humanity (although I quite like the actress) and Khlyen's manipulations - impressive as usual but I want to see Zeph, Pree and angry Ginger kick some ass!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4

It's great to see Dutch finally acknowledged that Johnny is broken and that she lost her true north. This means the Lady succeeded in breaking their bond and TAF. But neither Dutch and D'av can do anything to fix the situation. Dealing with this is entirely up to Johnny who refuses to even think about it. He is still struggling with what happened, because he cannot brand it as "fake" and it feels real to him. That doesn't prevent him to remain super smart and super good at what he does, even though everything goes south. 

I really enjoy that relationship part a lot, but it's starting to take too long to get solved. And I have a bad feeling on how it's going to be resolved.

The prison is still boring as well as the fights part, but I didn't see the double-crossing coming. I knew something was up and wouldn't end as planned but that wasn't what I was expecting.

So last week they showed us what TAS what up too. This week we discover the whereabouts of Jaq and Kendry. It's weird to see Kendry acting as a human being and not caring just about herself and her interests. I like the fact she prevented Jaq to head straight to The Lady's trap. Aneela is finally back and I think she is going to change the game, because The Lady is not expecting her.

Khlyen is teaching The Lady about feelings. What does he intend to achieve by doing that? Does he plan to use them against her as she did with the others? I'm curious to see how he is going to use Gared to delay her plans even further and make his advance. But that's will be easier, and more risky, with Gared awake.

Too bad we didn't see any of TAF B this time. I would have like to see what they are up too, even briefly.

I'm pretty sure the Warden is going to work with Johnny, or give him something to help him, in order to retake the prison. She is probably aware that TAF, even though they created the whole situation, is the only one who can fix it, so it's in her best interest to assist him/them if she wants her prison back (if she survives).

I'm wondering if the 2 Qreshis, and their ship,  will have a role to play in the resolution of this mess in the prison.

Edited by BlueBlop
Spelling
  • Love 4

The last two episodes have been closer to what I love about this show, but I agree that I would really like resolution on the relationship part. What I did like was D'avin not getting jealous and talking it out with Dutch.

I love a good fight montage, but it was a little boring to have the episode center largely on a tournament. I don't know, it just felt a little like filler? And the team was awfully trusting of a guy who really had no incentive to help them other than "owing a favor."

I continue to find the Lady boring. She just stomps around and demands things. Aneela was scarier. 

Speaking of Aneela and DSK, I never thought I would be happy to see those to reunited.

I hope that the pace picks up a bit. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Johnny's messed up due to the brain-rape - whether it impacted him more because it was based on true feelings he had for Dutch or because the Lady doubled down on him in order to break Dutch is up for debate (it could also be both). Dutch is struggling with having lost her 'gravity'; and D'Av understands but can't help

3 hours ago, The Companion said:

I agree that I would really like resolution on the relationship part. What I did like was D'avin not getting jealous and talking it out with Dutch.

I'm quickly reaching the point of no return on this.  In that I don't even care anymore what the final resolution takes shape as in all this, but JUST. END. IT.

If this friendship of Dutch & Johnny's is so soulmate-ishly great as we've been led to believe for 4.5 years now, why is it being dragged out that Johnny just can't admit its taking him a bit longer to get over the mind frakking The Lady did on him, but he's working on it and he & Dutch are still besties?  Dutch would more than understand.  Everyone in The Quad knows Johnny is the bleeding heart of TAF and all that.

Dark Matter & The Expanse are/were the "space operas", not Killjoys.  But it's sure felt differently in the past few weeks.

7 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I'm quickly reaching the point of no return on this.  In that I don't even care anymore what the final resolution takes shape as in all this, but JUST. END. IT.

I'm a bit afraid it won't happen before they get out of the prison, unless the events forced them to do it. They have more urgent problems to deal with than Johnny's feelings, especially since it doesn't prevent him to do his job or work with them (yet). Once out, they can (hopefully will) take a bit of time to seat down and settle this once and for all.

One funny thing would be to see Johnny opening up to the Warden about his problem and her giving him some good piece of advice to deal with that. Strangers are often helping characters to solve that kind of issues.

I still care about the resolution, but the longer this crisis lasts, the worst the outcome is going to be... I hope I'm wrong, but for now, I don't think it's going to end well for TAF and Johnny.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

What was that line coined by or for Josh Whedon's approach to writing: 'Give them everything they want - in the worst possible way.' I can think of some possibilities to go there but I'm not keen on exploring.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, The Companion said:

The last two episodes have been closer to what I love about this show, but I agree that I would really like resolution on the relationship part. What I did like was D'avin not getting jealous and talking it out with Dutch

Yes it was nice to see the show not go down that tired road. D'av loves Johnny too and also wants to help him. I know the focus is on Dutch & Johnny but IMO D'av & Johnny's relationship is also important. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

What was that line coined by or for Josh Whedon's approach to writing: 'Give them everything they want - in the worst possible way.' I can think of some possibilities to go there but I'm not keen on exploring.

That's what The Lady did to Johnny in the matrix, didn't she? That's why he is so broken. And it could be hard for him to appreciate getting that in real life.

I also have several possible outcomes in mind that I don't want to explore, because they don't includes a happy ending. Omens  are not looking good.

And I agree for D'av's reaction. He is trying to help them both as much as he could.

Edited by BlueBlop
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 8/16/2019 at 6:17 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Let it be known that the gender identifying mistakes in the above synopsis are not mine...

Obviously somebody thought Dutch was a guy because of her gigantic set of (metaphorical) balls.

Edited by johntfs
  • LOL 3

Poor Dutch and Johnny, its so sad seeing them so out of sorts. Its neither of their faults, but its obvious that Johnny is still confused by his false memories and the feelings that he had in those memories, or maybe that its what he has secretly always wanted to be married to Dutch and this just reminds him of a life that he can never have, or he just hurts thinking of a happy domestic life that he cant have, and that Dutch has no clue how to deal with this. Now Johnny is messed up for reasons not even he seems to fully understand, Dutch has lost her most stable connection, and D'av is just trying his best to be supportive of both of them and help as much as he can. This isn't a problem that they can just shoot their way out of.

The emotional fall out from the false reality between TAF is really interesting, but having them stuck in jail has already gone on for too long. Its the last season, I want them out there kicking ass and taking names, and I want to get as much of the supporting cast as we can before we wrap things up. Its episode five, and while there has been some plot movement here and there, I am ready for things to really get moving.

Never thought I would be so happy to see Aneela and Delle Seyah reunited! Plus Aneela will be good to have around in the Lady smack down that better be happening soon. Jaq is a good kid, even with his bouts of goo teen angst.

Gareds confused face at the end just killed me, please let him and Pree be reunited soon! So I guess Khlyen wants to have him help him find Pree before The Lady can? Pree will certainly come running if he finds out that Gare Bear might be in the firing line in the midst of this madness. 

I didn't see the betrayal coming, even though I totally should have. At least this means that something might happen other than prison hijinks. We did get to see Dutch kicking ass, so thats always fun at least!

Complaints aside, I still love this show so much, and I hate how little time we have left with it. I am still liking this season a lot, even if I would have changed a few things. I just like the characters so much I want to see more of them.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

I'm having a lot of fun with the prison arc still (mainly due to Dutch, John, and D'Avin all being together), but I do think it is strangely filler-like and kind of a placeholder until the endgame, which is a little weird since this is the final season and all.  Hopefully there will be real good reasons for why this storyline was needed, but it's just a bit odd that this going on right at the halfway point of the last season.

Still, I do like that they are addressing John's trauma over all the mind games The Lady did, and is understandably conflicted over how he feels about Dutch, while she understandably just wants to have their normal friendship again, and has to accept that is likely not going to happen.  I also like how mature D'Avin is about all of this and seems to sympathize with both of them.  These three really are a true family now.

Speaking of which, aww, "Nucy" is learning the art of guessing and doing shady shit.  She'll be back to Lucy in no time!

Should have figured that the prison guy was going to turn on them.  Things are looking rough for Dutch and D'Avin now, but at least John is out of their clutches, and might even be teaming up with the Warden.  That should be fun: especially since I think she actually does enjoy his company and snark, even if she'll never say it out loud.

So, it looks like Khylen is trying to teach the Lady humanity and maybe get her to change on some levels, but I suspect that will be a loss cause.  At least he helped out poor Gared.  Oh, Khylen, you murderous, stone-cold softie!

Finally check back in on Jaq and Della Seyah!  Della has apparently broken into the Arrow Cave from Arrow and stole one of their extra suits, and is trying to no longer be an evil sociopath!  And it ends up Jaq was leading them to one of those cubes, which has... Aneela!  Glad to see her back and I still love how different Hannah John-Kamen plays her compared to Dutch.  Her voice, her mannerisms, physicality, etc.  Woman is talented, to say the least! 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I'm having a lot of fun with the prison arc still (mainly due to Dutch, John, and D'Avin all being together), but I do think it is strangely filler-like and kind of a placeholder until the endgame, which is a little weird since this is the final season and all.  Hopefully there will be real good reasons for why this storyline was needed, but it's just a bit odd that this going on right at the halfway point of the last season.

Here's what I hope is happening, the prison stuff is low tech, no special effects stuff. They are saving the budget and special effects for the final episodes to make them spectacular.

• Love 3
On 8/17/2019 at 10:44 PM, The Companion said:

And the team was awfully trusting of a guy who really had no incentive to help them other than "owing a favor." 

From his perspective a favor, even a big favor, isn't a suicide pact.  Prison dude made no bones about the fact that his opinion on their "plan" was "What you're doing is deeply stupid and will get you killed to no good purpose."

• Love 1
On 8/17/2019 at 3:00 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I still really like Killjoys, as always, but not too sure that placing the main characters in a multi-ep "stuck in prison" arc in the middle of the final season is the best idea. 

Exactly. As I've been posting in each ep thread, FIRST we had to get through a multi-episode arc where everyone didn't know who they were. NOW we have to get through the prison arc. This show has way too much mythology to park it for most of the final season. A really poor choice by the show, IMO, and maybe one of the most maddening final seasons for a show ever. It's not just the final ep (Sopranos), nor the last half of the final season (Game of Thrones). It's THE WHOLE FINAL SEASON.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:00 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

For some reason, they sure seem intent on trying to humanize the monster [IE, The Lady].   Fully demonstrate her as a galaxy-destroying (or reshaping) megalomaniac or go full on with turning her into an emotional wreck who can't stay composed enough to keep up the domination of her army.  Just. pick. one. already.

I think we share a brain. I barely even see The Lady as a bad guy at this point. I fear that her exposure to being inside a human (BTW, has she never done that before in all of her long history?) will be the show's way out, and The Lady's humanness will be her undoing. Ugh.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:28 AM, MissLucas said:

Johnny's messed up due to the brain-rape - whether it impacted him more because it was based on true feelings he had for Dutch or because the Lady doubled down on him in order to break Dutch is up for debate (it could also be both). Dutch is struggling with having lost her 'gravity'; and D'Av understands but can't help - in short: the A-Team is in major trouble even without all the exterior problems they're facing.

All of this flies right by me. The three of them are together. Get out of prison. Go have some beers. Sort it out. 

• Love 2