Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I finally saw Hamilton on Broadway last night. The show lived up to the hype, maybe not the ticket prices even though the ones I bought weren't extrodinary expensive comparing them to other dates and I bought them only a few days ago. The highlights in the cast were Ryan Vazquez (Hamilton), Denee Benton (Eliza), Daniel Breaker (Burr), Anthony Lee Medina (John Laurens/Philip), Carvens Lissaint (George Washington) and Euan Morton (King George). I did enjoy seeing Mandy and James Monroe Iglehart. I thought they were both very good. I know they have received some criticism. It might be because besides the soundtrack I didn't have anything to compare them too. My only complaint is that I didn't feel the emotional connection I had with some other shows after seeing them (Fun Home and Dear Evan Hanson).

Ryan Vazquez was originally in the ensemble of the Angelica tour. I saw him once as Philip Schuyler/James Reynolds when the show opened in San Francisco and then I saw him play Burr the next year on tour in San Diego before he transferred to the Broadway cast. He's been an understudy for Hamilton since the tour. A few times while he was in SF, he got to play Hamilton opposite his girlfriend Solea Pfeiffer who played Eliza!

I'm seeing the And Peggy cast in a few weeks so I'm excited to see the show again! I know that it's my last chance to see the show locally because none of the three tours are scheduled to be back in California in 2019-2020.

Glad you were able to get seats for non-exorbitant prices! I've had the same experience because I don't buy resale tickets. Hamilton is more expensive than other tours we get here in SF, but only the front center orchestra seats are super expensive ($678). All of the other seats in the orchestra section are $200 (in comparison, the same section cost $95 for Les Mis, Miss Saigon, and Phantom last year) and balcony seats are $100. Tickets to the ballet can cost just as much depending on the show (tickets to SF Ballet's production of Sleeping Beauty next month are $198 for rows A-F and $179 for rows G-T).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ryan Vazquez was originally in the ensemble of the Angelica tour. I saw him once as Philip Schuyler/James Reynolds when the show opened in San Francisco and then I saw him play Burr the next year on tour in San Diego before he transferred to the Broadway cast. He's been an understudy for Hamilton since the tour. A few times while he was in SF, he got to play Hamilton opposite his girlfriend Solea Pfeiffer who played Eliza!

I'm seeing the And Peggy cast in a few weeks so I'm excited to see the show again! I know that it's my last chance to see the show locally because none of the three tours are scheduled to be back in California in 2019-2020.

Glad you were able to get seats for non-exorbitant prices! I've had the same experience because I don't buy resale tickets. Hamilton is more expensive than other tours we get here in SF, but only the front center orchestra seats are super expensive ($678). All of the other seats in the orchestra section are $200 (in comparison, the same section cost $95 for Les Mis, Miss Saigon, and Phantom last year) and balcony seats are $100. Tickets to the ballet can cost just as much depending on the show (tickets to SF Ballet's production of Sleeping Beauty next month are $198 for rows A-F and $179 for rows G-T).

Oh wow!  I think Vazquez is still an understudy since I don't think they have cast they have named a replacement yet. He definitely grew into the role during the show.

Oh wow that is expensive! The price I paid was definitely more than I wanted to pay, but looking at what the prices were for the next sixth months it was the cheapest. I was surprised no one had bought them. It makes you wonder when the price will go down.

4 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I think Vazquez is still an understudy since I don't think they have cast they have named a replacement yet. He definitely grew into the role during the show.

Ryan Vazquez is still an understudy. He played Hercules Mulligan/James Madison a few days ago and he played George Washington last week. It's great that he's getting the opportunity to play so many different roles!

Has Michael Luwoye announced that he's leaving the Broadway cast? He was the Hamilton I saw in SF!

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ryan Vazquez is still an understudy. He played Hercules Mulligan/James Madison a few days ago and he played George Washington last week. It's great that he's getting the opportunity to play so many different roles!

Has Michael Luwoye announced that he's leaving the Broadway cast? He was the Hamilton I saw in SF!

Michael Luwoye last Broadway show is February 16.

Edited by choclatechip45

Lin-Manuel Miranda to Lead Star-Studded Camelot Benefit for Lincoln Center Theater

Lin-Manuel Miranda will star as King Arthur alongside Solea Pfeiffer as Guenevere, Jordan Donica as Sir Lancelot, Dakin Matthews as Merlyn, Ruthie Ann Miles as Nimue, Ethan Slater as Mordred and Julie White as Morgan Le Fey, with Jenn Colella, Jason Danieley and Bonnie Milligan as three of the Knights of the Round Table.

Two other Hamilton alumni in the cast! Solea was Eliza and Jordan was Lafayette/Jefferson (both in the original cast of the Angelica tour). Bonnie Milligan was fun in Head Over Heels last year too. Is this the first performance Ruthie Ann Miles has done since the accident? My heart still breaks for her.

• Love 2

Like, um... this does not seem to be particularly good casting. Like, at all. But I hope they raise a lot of money. At best, it makes me wonder if they are interested in getting people to take another stab at Camelot. Speaking of L&L, I'm working so I probably won't get a chance to see Carmelina at York but when I checked the website, I saw that they're also going to do Lolita, My Love and I am SO CURIOUS.

It's a one-night benefit for a crowd that's undoubtedly paying a fortune, for a good cause; I doubt that it has any long-term significance or that the casting means anything other than "performers people like to see." (Ruthie Ann Miles has already returned to the stage in the London King and I.) Camelot has had multiple stabs taken at it over the decades. At this point everybody must know that it never quite works and never will, but it'll continue to be done because the score is great and the idea of the story is so appealing. At least it's Bartlett Sher directing, and not Lonny Price as with the dreadful NY Phil presentation telecast a few years ago. 

The one in the Lerner series that I'm interested in is The Day Before Spring, his & Loewe's almost-hit just before Brigadoon, and I am going to be able to see it (it coincides with an Encores! day). I've always been madly curious about it.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 3
On 1/31/2019 at 10:58 AM, choclatechip45 said:

My only complaint is that I didn't feel the emotional connection I had with some other shows after seeing them (Fun Home and Dear Evan Hanson).

I'm glad (in a way) to hear you say that, because while I was overwhelmed by Hamilton's brilliance (how could one not be?), I had no emotional reaction to the sad denouement of the show. I know others did, so I'm not sure what the problem was with me. But I'm someone who has been known to sob at overtures; while with Hamilton, all I felt in the second act was a protracted winding down. (After an exhilarating Act One.)

Edited by Milburn Stone
5 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I'm glad (in a way) to hear you say that, because while I was overwhelmed by Hamilton's brilliance (how could one not be?), I had no emotional reaction to the sad denouement of the show. I know others did, so I'm not sure what the problem was with me. But I'm someone who has been known to sob at overtures; while with Hamilton, all I felt in the second act was a protracted winding down. (After an exhilarating Act One.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one either!  I did enjoy the middle of the second act. Act one is defiantly better.

21 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

My most emotional reaction during Hamilton was during It's Quiet Uptown - and this is coming from someone who doesn't have kids. I was full on ugly crying.

I agree that Act One is exhilarating. It's so full of life and energy, and Act Two feels like "Well, we had to finish the story." It's not terrible by any means, but it just doesn't live up to how great the first act is, both in terms of the plot and the music. There is a lot of plot stuffed into the second act (Hamilton's affair, his conflict with Madison and Jefferson, all the cabinet battles, Washington's retirement, Philip's death, etc) but it still feels like so much more happens in the first act.

I really enjoyed seeing Hamilton, but I LOVE the first act and I could listen to it way more often than the second act. I don't hate the second act or anything but it's nowhere near the first act for me.

• Love 2

I recently saw Sense and Sensibility at the Portland (Oregon) Center Stage.  Two of my friends had season tickets and they used their comp tickets to get me into to see this and Tiny Beautiful Things (which I'll be seeing next month).  This was a slightly ironic choice for me as I have sort of a blown-out-of-proportion distaste for Jane Austen, although S&S is my "least unfavorite" of her books.

The production was simply delightful.  With only 10 people in the cast, all but 4 actors had to play multiple roles (the actresses playing the Dashwood sisters and Mrs. Jennings were the exceptions).  There was definitely a casual/modern flair to it, which I didn't think I would like, but ended up loving.  I wasn't familiar with any of the actors in the production, which is unusual because while Portland has an active theater scene, the world is also small.  This is not a bad thing--I always end up having to make a mental adjustment when I see an actor in a serious role when the last role I saw him or her in was an overgrown rodent at the Children's theater.

As I said, the acting was top notch, but the real standout was Lauren Modica as Mrs. Jennings.  Her comic timing was perfect and she had a few rambling comic monologues that left me (and I think some of the cast!) in tears.  

My only comment--I won't call it a complaint--about the show is it seemed to be more of a stage adaption of the Emma Thompson movie than of the actual novel.  Personally, I liked the movie far more than the book (go ahead, judge me) so I had no problem with that at all!

RE: Anastasia

I'm not surprised. It was very enjoyable at times but it was not a good show. I still suspect they were hurt by not being able to utilize the movie more faithfully because of rights issues with the play that inspired the movie. But it just didn't hold together. Evaluated on its own merits on the structure of drama, world building, character, tone, etc. it was highly flawed. That said, I'm happy the Fanastasias were able to keep it open as long as they did. The success of this show was largely down to the fanbase and the performers. 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Adrienne-Warren-Will-Lead-TINA-THE-TINA-TURNER-MUSICAL-on-Broadway-This-Fall-20190205

There wasn't much doubt this would be announced but I'm happy it's confirmed. 

The Pantages/Dolby just announced the shows for their 2019-2020 season which includes Hamilton returning to the Pantages in March 2020. The other national tours that will be coming through Los Angeles:

Anastasia (10/8-10/27)
Summer: The Donna Summer Musical (11/5-11/24)
Frozen (12/4-2/2)
Escape to Margaritaville (2/18-3/8)
SpongeBob SquarePants (3/24-4/12)
Mean Girls (4/28-6/7)
My Fair Lady (6/12-7/5)
The Band's Visit (7/7-7/26)

I'm in San Francisco and we already have Anastasia as the last show of the 2018-2019 season in September and they already announced a few months ago that Mean Girls and The Band's Visit will be part of the 2019-2020 season, so I'll be interested to see how many of these shows end up coming through SF in the next year (sometimes the national tours end up going to Sacramento or San Jose instead of San Francisco). I'm guessing we will probably get Frozen and My Fair Lady. @Silver Raven, keep us posted when the Sacramento season is announced!

BroadwayWorld has just learned that The Public Theater will present a stage adaptation of the Disney classic this summer at the Delacorte Theatre. The musical, which features music by Alan Menken, lyrics by David Zippel and a book by Kristoffer Diaz, will be directed by Lear deBessonet and choreographed by Chase Brock.

The Public Works production is set to begin performances on August 30 and will run through September 3. A reading is set to take place this April.

According to a casting notice, the role of Hercules will be played by an African American actor.

OH MY GOD. It's Public Works which can be a little messy but I'll take any hint that they want to make this into a Broadway show (or at least something they can license out to high schools). It's still one of the best collection of songs from a Disney movie even if the story is a bananapants sanitized version of Greek mythology.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Bless-My-Soul-Public-Theater-Will-Stage-HERCULES-at-the-Delacorte-Theatre-This-Summer-20190206

Question: when does Laura Benanti finish in My Fair Lady....and is it a must-see performance in a must-see show?

I realize it's been her dream role for a long time, and I am interested to see her on stage, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the performance and the show are worth making the trip to NY.

1 minute ago, DisneyBoy said:

Question: when does Laura Benanti finish in My Fair Lady....and is it a must-see performance in a must-see show?

I realize it's been her dream role for a long time, and I am interested to see her on stage, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the performance and the show are worth making the trip to NY.

She just extended through July 7th.

And as a bonus you’ll get the hardest working man in show business the great Danny Burstein.

I love Danny Burstein!

• Love 1

This was just announced today, and it gives me a chance to check it out a second time with all the new cast members. 

Choose your performance with care though: She and Harry Hadden-Paton each take one performance off a week (not the same one), and she will have a few scheduled absences during her extension, as she is honoring her previously-made concert commitments. In my experience, the online ticket sites warn buyers about that sort of thing, but it's good to plan around it in advance, too.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 1

Beetlejuice musical confirms principal casting for Broadway & first preview date is set

The production has set a first preview date of March 28 ahead of the previously announced April 25 opening night at the recent home of School of Rock.

The six celebrated principal stars of the Washington, D.C. out-of-town production will repeat their work on Broadway. That includes Tony nominee Alex Brightman in the title role, with Lortel nominee Sophia Anne Caruso as Lydia, Tony nominee Kerry Butler as Barbara, Tony nominee Rob McClure as Adam, Lortel winner Leslie Kritzer as Delia and Obie winner Adam Dannheisser as Charles.

Hadestown announces Broadway cast

Newly announced cast members include Jewelle Blackman (The Lion King), Yvette Gonzalez-Nacer (In the Heights) and Kay Trinidad (The Little Mermaid) as the Fates. The chorus will include Afra Hines, Timothy Hughes, John Krause, Kimberly Marable and Ahmad Simmons, along with swings Malcolm Armwood, T. Oliver Reid, Jessie Shelton and Khaila Wilcoxon.

They join the previously announced Patrick Page as Hades, Tony nominees Eva Noblezada as Eurydice and André De Shields as Hermes, Amber Gray as Persephone and Reeve Carney as Orpheus, all reprising their work from the London production.

Hadestown will begin previews on March 22 with an opening night set for April 17 at the Walter Kerr Theatre. Tony nominee Rachel Chavkin (The Great Comet) is the musical's co-conceiver and director, with David Neumann as choreographer and Liam Robinson as music director.

Michael Ball returns to Les Miserables as Javert

Michael Ball, the Olivier-winning star who originated the role of Marius in the 1985 West End premiere of Les Misérables, will step back into the hit musical, this time as Javert, for a sixteen-week fully staged concert run at the Gielgud Theatre from August 10 through November 30. Ball will be joined by longtime friend Alfie Boe, reprising his celebrated Broadway and West End turn as Jean Valjean.

This cheered concert staging, previously seen in London at the Royal Albert Hall and the O2 Arena, will run at the Gielgud while the musical's longtime home, the Queen's Theatre, undergoes a refurbishment. The cast will be accompanied by an orchestra of over 65 musicians.

The cast will also include Carrie Hope Fletcher, a prior Eponine, appearing as Fantine, with Katy Secombe and Matt Lucas reprising their former turns as Thénardier and Madame Thénardier. For three performances per week, the role of Jean Valjean will be played by Broadway and West End alum John Owen-Jones.

• Love 1

Ooh, baby. They've opened up My Fair Lady to Linctix again. With Laura's July extension, I'm totally seeing it now. When I'm not so busy I'll go through and pick a date. I know she's got some scheduled absences so I need to be careful.

With respect, @DisneyBoy, the way you phrased the question makes it hard to answer. I think it's a very good production, and a couple of the cast changes should make it even better, but if (as you say) you don't like MFL, it still may not be that enjoyable for you. And meanwhile, while I adore MFL as a stage musical, I don't think that much of the movie; which makes me doubt my ability to advise you.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Useful 1

I’ve also been hesitant to reply since I’m not a fan but Laura and Danny were enough of a draw.

I’ll just say it’s probably the best production of the show that you can do.

The performances were excellent and the tweaks did help so if you’re a fan I think you’ll love if you’re not it’s still not a bad night at the theatre.

• Love 2

Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice. Since it's difficult for me to get to New York, I try to make a point of only seeing shows that I feel are a "sure thing", for lack of a better word.

I also try and go when I know there's at least two shows I want to see at the same time. Which brings me back to my other question... Where the heck is Dreamgirls!?

I saw the national tour of A Bronx Tale just before the holidays and forgot to post about it here (heh, probably because I saw it a few days before I flew home for Christmas). It was not terrible, but I can see why it didn't last long on Broadway. I'm actually surprised that it played for as long as it did. It wasn't awful but it also wasn't great. It's been about two months since I saw it and I barely remember anything about it.

The cast was great but it felt like the show was covering almost too much plot (which is weird considering that the movie was about the same length). I've never seen the movie but Mr. EB has and we ended up feeling the same way about the musical - it was fine but I wouldn't see it again. Apparently liking the movie wasn't enough to make him love the musical version.

Heh, it probably didn't help that the two shows I saw before this one were Dear Evan Hansen (which I saw a week before A Bronx Tale) and Waitress (which I saw a few weeks before DEH), both of which I really liked!

On 2/16/2019 at 6:31 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I only saw a bootleg of Waitress but found the show a little "meh". I think I liked DEH more (also saw a bootleg), but even that show felt like an after school special to me...

My husband and I saw Waitress in the fall in Portland and we were in the "meh" camp as well.  I appreciated the quality of the show, but it just didn't resonate with us.

3 injured at 'Hamilton' after medical emergency sparks evacuation

Statement released by HAMILTON and SHN:

The producers of HAMILTON and SHN are reviewing the events that brought an abrupt end to the performance in San Francisco last night and resulted in alarm and confusion for the audience at the SHN Orpheum Theatre. Uncertainty in the auditorium about a medical emergency taking place near the end of the show spread quickly and prompted the upset.  Along with SHN, the owners of the Orpheum, we remain dedicated to protecting the safety of our audiences and our own company members in every city where HAMILTON plays.

Patrons at last night's performance are in the process of being contacted and invited to return to see HAMILTON at the Orpheum.

9 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

My husband and I saw Waitress in the fall in Portland and we were in the "meh" camp as well.  I appreciated the quality of the show, but it just didn't resonate with us.

Sorry to hear that but glad I'm not alone in my opinion.

What on Earth went down during that Hamilton performance?

My beautiful new Met Opera subscription brochure for the 2019-2020 season came in the mail...

They're doing Porgy and Bess. I'm indifferent to the casting but I missed Norm and Audra and this feels like a good chance to see it.

Tchaikovsky's The Queen of Spades sounds interesting. I don't know anyone in the cast but I like Tchaikovsky and this seems like a big, traditional production. 

Handel's Agrippina sounds interesting. Joyce DiDonato and Kate Lindsey. They've switched the setting but I think I can hold my nose and make it through it for the casting and the material.

I looked at some video promo clips from the English National Opera and LA Opera productions of Phillip Glass' Akhnaten. It feels very over the top and different in a way that could be compelling like Julie Taymor's The Magic Flute or a boring hot mess. I tried listening to some of the music. The repetition made me a little crazy. But it's still on the table as an option because it might be fun to see something this different and unpredictable (but not as ugly or minimalistic as I find a lot of the more modern productions). 

They're doing Massenet's Werther (which I was late to when I saw it) with Joyce DiDonato and Piotr Beczala. Might be worth a return visit. 

I haven't thought of Janacek since Jenufa (which I surprisingly loved). Susanna Phillips is starring in Kata Kabanova. Sounds like something to check out. 

Netrebko is doing Tosca. I might see if they're going to record this one. I'm inclined to see it but I don't need to. Maybe I'll spring for the New Year's Gala where she's doing selections from La Boheme, Tosca, and Turandot. They'll be fully costumed. I'm sure the cost of tickets will be insane. 

Diana Damrau is doing Maria Stuarda. I don't love bel canto but I do love her and I'm sure I'll enjoy the Tudor trappings.

I need to look up Simon Boccanegra. I know nothing about it but the brochure is really selling it. And I did like Ailyn Perez in La Boheme.

I'm intrigued by Orfeo ed Euridice. The original myth is compelling source material. They've cast a South Korean Euridice and I usually find South Korean opera singers to have strong voices. But Isaac Mizrahi is doing the costumes and with Mark Morris it seems like a dance-heavy piece. Also, I usually don't enjoy trouser roles. This feels like a skip but I'm debating it. How is the music? I mean, this is gorgeous. I might just look for a recording.

I don't really need to see Le Nozze di Figaro again. There are alternate casts with the possibility of seeing Susanna Phillips as the Countess, Mariusz Kwiecien as the Count, and Luca Pisaroni as Figaro but I don't know if I need to see it again. I enjoyed it the first time. But the casting has to be on fire for me to find a return visit compelling. 

What the heck is Alban Berg's Wozzeck? This production looks like something I'd despise but I remember liking Elza van den Heever in something.

Anna Netrebko and Placido Domingo (there's also alternate casting) are doing Verdi's Macbeth. I generally like Verdi but I don't like modern-looking productions and I know they're going to charge more for the tickets given the casting. So this one feels like a skip to me unless makes an argument for the music.

They're keeping the 2018-19 La Traviata with new casting. I haven't seen this one yet but I don't feel like I need the return visit just to see Vittorio Grigolo.

They're doing Turandot and Madama Butterfly. But I've seen Turandot Live in HD and it's still whitewashed. And I'e already see Hui He do an excellent job in Butterfly (recommend if you haven't seen her) and I don't think Paulo Szot or Placido as Sharpless are enough to get me to go back.

Der Rosenkavalier is back and The Magic Flute as always. Elina Garanca was so good in Rosenvkavalier I don't really need to see anyone else. Ying Fang is Pamina but that's not enough to make me sit through it again.

Speaking of Garanca, she's in a production of Berlioz' La Damnation de Faust but I don't think I can sit through what looks like another modern production for her. For one thing, they're usually so dark that I won't be able to see her acting from where I'm sitting anyway.

tl;dr I'm feeling the most positive about Porgy and Bess and Agrippina. I'm okay adding those without further investigation. I want to investigate Kata Kabanova, The Queen of Spades, Maria Stuarda, Orfeo ed Euridice, Simon Boccanegro, and Akhnaten some more. Werther and Le Nozze di Figaro are options if I need to fill out my subscription. Any suggestions?

In investigating those operas, I stumbled across an album on Spotify where Kiri Te Kanawa and other opera singers sing selections from Broadway musicals. Here's the video version but I recommend listening to the album so the sound isn't just in one ear. Glorious either way. Sorry, Eliza is just not a role where I want anything other than vocal perfection. 

Shoshana Bean will return to Broadway for the first time since starring in Wicked, taking center stage in Waitress. She’ll assume the central role of Jenna in a limited engagement from March 18 through May 12.

OH MY GOD. Waitress, how DARE you? This is SHAMELESS. I know I say this every time they announce casting but now I HAVE to go back.

http://www.playbill.com/article/shoshana-bean-will-star-in-waitress-on-broadway