Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

Um... I was expecting more of a direct transfer. I'm not sure paying all these star salaries will be worth it for Netflix.

Ryan Murphy will direct and produce a feature adaptation of the Tony-nominated musical The Prom for Netflix, and he has announced the cast for the film, according to Deadline. The Prom will star Meryl Streep, James Corden, and Ariana Grande, with Awkwafina, Keegan-Michael Key and Andrew Rannells in key roles.

Streep will play Dee Dee Allen, a two-time Tony winner who teams with Corden's Barry Glickman in a flop musical about Eleanor Roosevelt. After career-ending reviews, they decide - along with Broadway babies Kidman as Angie Dickinson and Rannells (Book of Mormon) as Trent Oliver - to champion a cause to rehabilitate their careers. They find one in Emma, a high school senior in Indiana who isn't allowed to take her girlfriend to The Prom. A nationwide search led by casting director Alexa Fogel is on to fill the role of Emma.

Grande will star as Alyssa, a popular daughter of the head of the PTA. Awkwafina will play the group's publicist Ms. Sheldon, and Key will play Streep's love interest and Emma's ally, Principal Hawkins.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Meryl-Streep-James-Corden-Nicole-Kidman-Ariana-Grande-to-Star-in-THE-PROM-on-Netflix-20190625

For anyone else who perks up when they hear Rachel Chavkin's attached to something, this has me intrigued because she's directing AND working on the book and lyrics.

The title seems misleading because the descriptions make it sound like some boy is the protagonist which lessens my interest.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Margo-Seibert-Andrew-R-Butler-and-More-Join-Powerhouse-Season-20190625

https://powerhouse.vassar.edu/season/2019/musicals/annie-salem.html

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1663866.Annie_Salem

BroadwayWorld has learned that Tom Hiddleston, Zawe Ashton, and Charlie Cox (all making their Broadway debuts as Robert, Jerry, and Emma) will lead an upcoming revival of Betrayal, direct from its critically acclaimed London run.

Directed by Mr. Lloyd, the company will also feature Eddie Arnold as the Waiter.

The strictly limited 17-week engagement will begin performances Wednesday, August 14 at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre (242 West 45th Street), with an official opening night on Thursday, September 5 at 6:30pm.

Nothing that exciting on the horizon as of yet for musicals but another challenger enters the arena for starry plays to go up against Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Tom-Hiddleston-Zawe-Ashton-And-Charlie-Cox-Will-Lead-BETRAYAL-On-Broadway-20190627

On 6/25/2019 at 10:30 AM, aradia22 said:

Um... I was expecting more of a direct transfer. I'm not sure paying all these star salaries will be worth it for Netflix.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Meryl-Streep-James-Corden-Nicole-Kidman-Ariana-Grande-to-Star-in-THE-PROM-on-Netflix-20190625

Apparently Ariana Grande is now out.

I am having a hard time picturing this. It's like an SNL audition sketch in my brain, the thing where we get 5-second snippets of impersonations of various celebs.

Not sure what I think of it on the whole.  As someone who lives in the Midwest and doesn't have the opportunity to get out to New York often enough to see as much as I'd like to, I'm an enormous fan of filming Broadway shows for public consumption.  Air it in a movie theater, stream it, put it out on DVD, air it on PBS - however you can get it to me, I'll appreciate it.  As such, I would've liked a straight-up filming of The Prom.

On the other hand, this big-name cast has me kind of perversely curious.  Also, I adore Andrew Rannells, and anything that puts more of him onstage or onscreen can't be a bad thing in my book.

Either way, kudos to Ryan Murphy for being so quick on the draw.  We're all used to movie adaptations languishing in development hell (they're FINALLY making In the Heights, oh my god.)  Good for him for lining everything up and coming at us with major casting already announced.  I know we already got that from him with The Boys in the Band (with more Andrew Rannells on my screen, thank you, Ryan Murphy,!), but that's not as surprising, since the whole point of that is adapting the Broadway revival with that specific cast.

• Love 2

Today's performance at the Sacramento Music Circus was Oklahoma!.  What a great show!  I really enjoyed it.

Laurie was played by Emilie Kouatchou.  She had a beautiful operatic soprano.

Curly was Hamilton's Ryan Vasquez.  I don't know, considering he did this show because he wanted to get away from Hamilton, he really didn't seem to be putting himself into it.  It was like he was going through the motions.

Jed was played by John Rapson, who has a gorgeous bass voice.

Ado Annie was Brit West.  I thought her voice was annoying.  She did the comedy well, but I hated her singing.  I know she was playing a character, but I didn't like the way she sang.

Will was Pierce Cassedy.  I know I've seen him in the ensemble in Sacramento in years past.  He was very entertaining.

Dream Curly was Conrad Sager and Dream Laurie was Taeler Cyrus.  They were fantastic.

Overall, a really entertaining show.

• Love 2

As BroadwayWorld previously reported, Tony Award-winner Anna D. Shapiro will direct the upcoming musical The Devil Wears Prada, with music by Sir Elton John, lyrics by Shaina Taub, and book by Paul Rudnick.

We've just learned that an NYC reading is taking place this week, led by Emily Skinner as Miranda Priestly, Krystina Alabado as Andy Sachs, Heléne Yorke as Emily, Mario Cantone as Nigel, Etai Benson as Nate, Jo Lampert as Lily and Nicholas Christopher as Christian.

The reading also stars: Sydney Charles, Britney Coleman, Dayna Dantzler, Tyrone Davis Jr., Henry Gottfried, Molly Hager, Katie Lee Hill, Anne Hollister, Jessie Hooker-Bailey, Liana Hunt, Christopher Innvar, Blaine Krauss, and Nikka Graff Lanzarone.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Emily-Skinner-Krystina-Alabado-More-Lead-THE-DEVIL-WEARS-PRADA-Musical-Readings-20190702

I still have very low interest in this but at least the first few names (in bold) are pretty spot-on casting. 

BroadwayWorld has learned that the original Broadway production of Pretty Woman will end its run at the Nederlander Theatre on Aug. 18.

They took their time with the announcement, but Pretty Woman is closing on the same day as The Cher Show...

...which I happened to see tonight. More thoughts later. Quick thoughts: a bit too long, you get more out of it if you're a Cher fan/recognize most of her songs, but the book is surprisingly good both with quips and with storytelling. It gave me a strong Bombshell vibe. Personal bias, but I think Stephanie and Bob Mackie 100% earned their Tonys.

• Love 2

I saw Vanessa Carlton on Beautiful two weeks ago. Wasn’t planning on seeing her this early into her run as I wanted her to get settled into the role but didn’t also want to miss Kara Lindsay’s last show before she goes on maternity leave so I decided to buy tickets.

I was a bit hesitant when I heard of this casting because Vanessa’s voice doesn’t sound anything like Carole’s and having watched the show, I still feel the same. Vanessa has no acting experience and I thought she did very well especially in the second act. I’ve seen the show five times before and I got ready-eyed at her saying she needs and wants more.

The singing was okay and I felt like she was straining her voice a little to sound like Carole but didn’t quite pull it off. I was nervous about Natural Woman but she sounded lovely. 

Im a huge Vanessa fan so it was awesome to see her onstage and enjoying herself. Too bad it was a two-show day so didn’t end up meeting her after the show. Did get to meet Kara and wish her all the luck on her pregnancy. She is stunning in person.

• Love 1
(edited)

I bought season tickets for next fall/winter/spring season of Sacramento music theater, because one of the plays is Dear Evan Hansen, and I wanted to make sure I bought a ticket before they sold out.

The season consists of :

A Christmas Story

Dear Evan Hansen

A Bronx Tale

Bandstand

Come From Away (another show I'm looking forward to seeing.

-----

Today's Music Circus show was The Drowsy Chaperone. I have to say, the music is not memorable at all, but the comedy is great.

Man in Chair was played by Bruce Villanch.

There were several Sacramento Music Circus veterans in this production, including Stuart Marland as Underling, Ron Wisniski as the Producer, and the always stellar (heh) Lynne Wintersteller in the title role.

Robert Martin was played by Matt Loehr, who has done several Music Circus shows before.  he's a great tapper.

George, the Best Man, was Jacob ben Widmar, he was also a great tapper, and he has a really nice voice.

Despite not caring for the music, I enjoyed the show.

Edited by Silver Raven

@Silver Raven are you going to see Guys & Dolls at the end of the month? I love that show! I also remember Ali Ewoldt because she was the first Asian-American to play Christine on Broadway. Unfortunately, the show is running during the exact dates when I'm going to be out of town so I won't get to see it.

My only exposure to the Drowsy Chaperone was Sutton Foster performing "Show Off" at the Tonys, which I enjoyed.

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

@Silver Raven are you going to see Guys & Dolls at the end of the month? I love that show! I also remember Ali Ewoldt because she was the first Asian-American to play Christine on Broadway. Unfortunately, the show is running during the exact dates when I'm going to be out of town so I won't get to see it.

My only exposure to the Drowsy Chaperone was Sutton Foster performing "Show Off" at the Tonys, which I enjoyed.

Yes, Guys and Dolls is the next ticket.  One of my favorite musicals, all of the songs are great.

• Love 2

Has anyone seen To Kill A Mockingbird yet? It's my favorite book of all time so I want to see it before it closes (although that might still be a long way off). Tickets are SUPER expensive and you're sure to spend upwards of $200 for one ticket.

2 hours ago, unicorn23 said:

Has anyone seen To Kill A Mockingbird yet? It's my favorite book of all time so I want to see it before it closes (although that might still be a long way off). Tickets are SUPER expensive and you're sure to spend upwards of $200 for one ticket.

We have tickets for August 6th (I think).  We also have tickets to Hadestown on the 8th.  We may see Tootsie on the 5th.  We'll see how it goes. 

On 7/15/2019 at 4:48 PM, unicorn23 said:

My sister saw it a couple of weeks ago and said it was terrific. I have no idea what she spent for her ticket. 

(edited)

I saw Road Show at NYCC Encores last night. It was a whole saga getting home via public transportation last night or I would have reported back then. Disappointingly, the show hasn't stuck with me that well so I only have vague impressions to report.

I don't know if everyone was perfectly cast but all the actors I was familiar with did what I expected them to do. Mary Beth Peil is a treasure. Someone needs to give her a really comedic role. Chuck Cooper sounded great. I didn't really need his character to keep coming back but the singing was lovely. This is my first time seeing Raul Esparza live and I was in the second row so that was fun. He brought a lot of charm. I can imagine that he choreographed his dancing himself. He had some little solo bits that felt very slick but improvised, like he was just doing steps he'd done before in other things. He brought a lot of intensity to the acting at times but I felt like it was wasted on the character he was playing. Brandon seemed miscast because I think the character is supposed to overweight and a different character type but he brought humor and heart. Like Raul, I felt like his emotional intensity and the tears were a bit wasted on the character. I've never seen Jin Ha in anything. He was great. His character was very sweet. His singing was straightforward and almost talky but in the places where it soared, it really soared. I would love to hear him singing something a bit more lush and classical and romantic like R&H. The ensemble was generally good with a few people having standout moments.

Evaluating just this production, it took a little while for me to warm to it but on the whole, I liked the concept of the show as a sort of radio drama. I think it was a neat way of explaining people being on book and the minimal sets, props, etc. while not being too distancing or distracting. A really smart choice for Encores. There were some weak points but they were generally tied to miscasting or weaknesses in the material itself. 

As for the material, I'm glad I went into this fresh. I didn't know it was going to be 2 hours with no intermission. I feel like if I'd known the score or story going in it would have made the whole experience even more tedious. Instead, I didn't really know where it was going so I was always engaged and along for the ride. That said, not a great show. It feels like a play with music. In the sense that it should be a play and it seems to want to have the gravitas of "serious drama" but it lacks the melodrama that makes theater engaging. It reminded me of Queen of the Mist and Grey Gardens but less good. It was a lot of "and then this happened" and I didn't really feel like I was connecting to the characters and the score wasn't great. I mean, there was humor and a couple of lyrics here and there that I liked but none of the songs were close to my favorite Sondheim songs. I kept hearing echos of Assassins and "Everybody Loves Louis" but rendered in gray. Echoes is right. The romantic songs were okay but so bland. I didn't need it to sound like Passion but it was so toothless. I don't know if they were hampered by the real life details but I feel like the show was unsuccessfully musicalized. Evita is a series of random occurrences but there's motivation and a driving force. This felt like Queen of the Mist but with more things happening. Characters seemed to fade in and out because history demanded it, not because I really felt like Addison couldn't let go of his brother or because he really wanted to manipulate Hollis. If anything, I wish they'd taken more liberties with the history to shape it into something reflecting a more recognizable and simpler narrative. It probably would have been more enjoyable. Also, there were definitely weak songs. That Boca Raton number seemed to go on and on. I think aside from mediocre songs and a weirdly structured story, my biggest problem was that the social commentary was not that insightful or interesting. Especially for a show written in the early 2000's. I don't mind cynicism and vulgarity but this show didn't have any real bite.

All in all, I'm glad I saw it but I can definitely see why this isn't considered one of the better Sondheim shows.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 2

While I'm in the mood, I decided to listen to the albums available for Bounce and Road Show.

In some ways, Bounce makes more sense. It has a more straightforward trajectory. It's a pretty slow start. Both brothers are searching for their path. And then the Boca Raton thing happens and the story gets a shot of adrenaline. The music is still pretty mild, but things do pick up. That said, even though I get that it's about perseverance and the bounce (It's really like "Move On" from Chicago over and over) it does seem to go in circles. There's no momentum until the end. "You were a gem, they were strictly paste" is a fantastic Sondheim line but otherwise, I think "Bounce" is definitely the superior song. Establishing a vaudeville vibe makes so much more sense than having it start as an ensemble song. "Opportunity" also makes more sense as the guiding statement from their father. It makes more sense for these two brothers to be hampered by the past but with no manifest destiny to pursue and no clear path to conquering the future and so they end up being grifters. Whereas Road Show seems to be wanting to say something about the modern world that it never does. What do the Mizner brothers do to help determine the future of the nation really? I think this is where the social commentary falters. Also, it makes so much more sense for them to bounce and endure from their father's advice in "Opportunity" than to just keep turning away from the inspirational (if naive) message of "It's in Your Hands Now" time and time again. With "Opportunity" the kernel of immorality was already there, while the father in Road Show is moralizing and hard to live up to. "Next to You" was rather tedious but it was a stronger melody. Wilson being naive and taken in by this Breathless Mahoney femme fatale makes more sense than the way he's suddenly a conman in Road Show but I didn't love that character or her boring seduction song. "Addison's Trip" is better and funnier in Road Show. In Bounce the pacing is too gentle and complacent. I like the way it's establishing his relentless optimism but it's better in the final version. "The Best Thing, etc." has its charm in Bounce but it works so much better in Road Show. The lyrics are better. The placement in the show is better. And though it's a bland song either way, it's more meaningful given to Hollis and Addison. Without it, I can't even tell if there's anything romantic between them in Bounce and his character doesn't have a great reason for being part of the story. Bounce has less animosity between the brothers until they're dead whereas in Road Show they're always fighting and Wilson returning because he needs to for the sake of the story comes across forced. 

• Love 1

Today's Sacramento Music Circus production was Guys and Dolls, one of my favorite plays.

Great production, the dance, the singing, the music, the acting (in general) were great.  My favorite actor in the show was Jeff Skowron, who played Nathan Detroit.  He was Ali Hakim in the production earlier this season of Oklahoma!.  He is a great comic actor.

Sky Masterson was played by Edward Watts, who was Adam in last season's Seven Brides For Seven Brothers.  He reminds me a lot of Robert Goulet in his singing style, but he is far too bombastic as an actor.  It worked for 7BF7B, but it wasn't right for Guys and Dolls.  He does have a nice singing voice, though.

Adelaide was Queen Lesli Margherita.  Nothing bad can be said about her.  Loved it.

Sarah Brown was played by Ali Ewoldt.  She has a beautiful soprano voice and played the role well.

Evan Harrington was Nicely Nicely Johnson.  He was perfect for the part.

Loved the show.

• Love 1

I saw Grace McLean's In the Green last night. I was supposed to go earlier this month but it's been raining like crazy on and off in NYC. Fun fact, Joe Iconis and Jason Robert Brown were both in attendance. I was really tempted to say something to JRB because he was just standing around waiting for one of the actors and no one was talking to him but I couldn't think of anything original to say and I didn't really want to have a whole conversation. And he's probably heard "I love your score for The Bridges of Madison County" enough times.

I am completely biased. I love her pop music. I saw Comet 3 times (partially through work). And I just adore Grace. So the chances of me hating the show were pretty low. I loved it and I cried a lot. That said, I can recognize that it's a little simplistic. It has a rough start and even when it gets going, the things it has to say are not anything new for anyone who has been in therapy or been diagnosed with depression. Don't repress your feelings. You need to go through it. There is no light without darkness kind of stuff. But for me, it was very well executed once it got going. I loved the harmonies. There were strong performances throughout but rarely did one actor have enough material to stand out. It was more of a collective storytelling effort which is why I think it was strongest when Hildegard goes down the hole underground and really starts developing her own theories of how to be whole, or, rather, how to be content with being fractured. I appreciated the willingness to acknowledge her as flawed but the ending does come out of nowhere for someone who isn't familiar with the history. Having her be successful in creating this safe haven for women and their words/ideas and then suddenly talking about schisms and some persecuted minority is a confusing ending to just throw in there. 

It's not as listenable as say Brigadoon but I really hope they record it. There are some tracks that work as stand alone songs and I would like to listen to them again.

RIP Hal Prince, a career for the ages.

"It's the fragment, not the day
It's the pebble, not the stream
It's the ripple, not the sea
That is happening
Not the building but the beam
Not the garden but the stone
Only cups of tea
And history
And someone in a tree"

• Love 2

I cried when I got the alert about Hal Prince yesterday.  What a brilliant life. 

And now, for something completely different (this makes me happy!) - Six The Musical starts previews at the Brooks Atkinson in February!!!   I love this score and I don't know why because it's so not me.  But I love it and can't wait to see it!!

• Love 2

Show lineup for next week:  What the Constitution Means to Me on Saturday, Tootsie on Monday, Mockingbird on Tuesday, Hadestown on Thursday.  

Can't wait.

I may let you all know what I think...I may not... 

• Love 3

I'm coming around on Six a little. Don't get me wrong. I still think the Olivier performance had really rough vocals and the song was a total Hamilton rip off. 

But thinking about it as coming from two twenty-something theater nerds who met at uni, it makes more sense. It's still kind of cringey but this song with more of a bratpop/Pipettes feel helps me to understand more what they're going for. The historical purist in me was turned off by the apparent laziness. But maybe there's more personality and irreverence than I initially thought.

If you missed it... I am so SO tempted to buy a ticket to one of her 54 Below shows but they're not cheap. 

Also, I just found out that Hannah Gadsby is doing a new show in NY and there's a Bianca Del Rio show at Carnegie Hall in October and I only have so much money. 

• Love 1
On 8/1/2019 at 9:24 AM, ebk57 said:

And now, for something completely different (this makes me happy!) - Six The Musical starts previews at the Brooks Atkinson in February!!!   I love this score and I don't know why because it's so not me.  But I love it and can't wait to see it!!

I hope they tighten it up a bit before Broadway. I felt like this show dragggggged. Context for those who haven't seen it: it's only 80 minutes. I think it takes some bad kinda skill to have an 80 minute long rock-pop musical that still somehow feels like it's stretching for time. And the ending is a mess. So here's hoping they fix it for NY.

• Love 1

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Ruby-Rakos-Max-Von-Essen-Lesli-Margherita-and-More-Will-Lead-CHASING-RAINBOWS-THE-ROAD-TO-OZ-at-Paper-Mill-Playhouse-20190807

Interesting concept. I like everyone in the cast that I know. Unfortunately, I think it'll be down to Judy and I don't know that actress. It's not a great time for me to try to get out to Jersey so I probably won't see this but I'll keep an eye on any developments.

I was going to watch an opera but I couldn't decide on anything I hadn't already seen that I wanted to commit 2-4 hours to. So I watched Annaleigh Ashford's PBS special instead. It's clearly an adaptation of her 54 Below show with new additions but it didn't feel stale. It was a real treat. She's a genuine cabaret performer. Choreography, costumes, patter, fully engaged. She's putting on a show. She's not just singing a series of songs. 

I totally recommend looking it up if you haven't seen it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Hadestown national tour launches in fall 2020I

So far the confirmed cities are Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Tempe, and Washington, D.C.

Saw it last week and really liked it.  I especially loved seeing Andre De Shields on stage again.  He was fabulous. 

We were also at the performance of Mockingbird that didn't quite finish because of a motorcycle backfire in Times Square.  It was a bizarre and kinda scary evening.  Since we missed the end of the show, I'm guessing they all lived happily ever after.  Or they all died in the end.  One or the other... 🙂  Honestly, the play is magnificent.  I think I cried through the entire second act.  I was only sorry that I didn't get to give the cast a rousing standing ovation at the end. 

• Love 5

Lincoln Center Theater, under the direction of André Bishop, has announced it will produce a new musical during its 2019-2020 season. FLYING OVER SUNSET, with a book and direction by James Lapine, music by Tom Kitt, and lyrics by Michael Korie, will feature choreography by Michelle Dorrance, and will begin previews March 12, 2020 and open on Thursday, April 16, 2020 at the Vivian Beaumont Theater (150 West 65 Street). Carmen Cusack, Harry Hadden-Paton and Tony Yazbeck will head the cast with additional casting to be announced at a later date.

Set in the 1950's, FLYING OVER SUNSET is a work of fiction inspired by the lives of three extraordinary and accomplished people - writer Aldous Huxley (to be played by Harry Hadden-Paton); playwright, diplomat, and congresswoman, Clare Booth Luce (Carmen Cusack); and film legend Cary Grant (Tony Yazbeck) - each of whom in real life experimented with the drug LSD. At a crossroads in their lives the three come together, and under the influence of the drug, take a trip and confront the mysteries of their lives and their world.

WEIRD concept for a new musical but with that creative team... James Lapine + Tom Kitt + Michael Korie + Beowulf Boritt, this has jumped to the front of the pack of a lackluster season as the most potentially exciting musical of 2019-2020.

• Love 1

Was really thinking of checking out Hello Dolly in Boston tomorrow. It would be a dream to see Betty Buckley in a show...and this could very well be her last...but from the few clips I've seen online, her voice is very warbly and I'm worried I would be disappointed. Obviously everyone's voice changes with age, but I couldn't even recognize her voice from the clips.

Plus I don't know how well-suited she is to the role. I assume she's great because I've read so many glowing reviews online but Betty has always been better at the sort of haunted characters, like Norma or Grizabella or Margaret White. Dolly seems too bubbly and friendly.

...I'm so torn. The tickets aren't expensive...but getting there by Greyhound would be. The last time I took a Greyhound it was a total nightmare and they kept us all waiting for 4 hours before a bus showed up. I think that may be the deciding factor for me.

2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Was really thinking of checking out Hello Dolly in Boston tomorrow. It would be a dream to see Betty Buckley in a show...and this could very well be her last...but from the few clips I've seen online, her voice is very warbly and I'm worried I would be disappointed. Obviously everyone's voice changes with age, but I couldn't even recognize her voice from the clips.

Plus I don't know how well-suited she is to the role. I assume she's great because I've read so many glowing reviews online but Betty has always been better at the sort of haunted characters, like Norma or Grizabella or Margaret White. Dolly seems too bubbly and friendly.

...I'm so torn. The tickets aren't expensive...but getting there by Greyhound would be. The last time I took a Greyhound it was a total nightmare and they kept us all waiting for 4 hours before a bus showed up. I think that may be the deciding factor for me.

I saw Betty in Triumph of Love and she really had the comedy bits down.  Her timing was impeccable.

16 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

If you can go, go.  Never pass up a chance to see a show you're interested in.  

The Greyhound was the dealbreaker. I called their customer support line and two - two! - disinterested men half-heartedly told me that it should make sense that their online partners might have better deals on seat prices. And no, they couldn't suggest which online partners to check out...I should just check them all out myself.

???

...what a bunch of clods. After my last experience with them, I swore never again. This reminded me of why.

The last show is still going on right now. Love ya, Betty Buckley, but I'm so glad I'm taking a nap right now on a comfortable sofa and not struggling to keep awake after sitting in a carpeted nightmare vehicle that mysteriously showed up six hours late with no explanation, and in so doing, stressed me out so badly I had no adrenaline left to cheer you on with.

Another time.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1

OMG, today's final show of the Sacramento Music Circus season was In The Heights.  It was amazing.  Every single performance was outstanding.  In particular, Rodolfo Soto as Usnavi, Tony Chiroldes as Kevin, ,Rayanne Gonzales as Abuela Claudia, Nina V. Negron as Vanessa, and Didi Romero as Nina.

Tony Chiroldes' performance of Inutil was heartbreaking.

I'm obviously late to the Betty Buckley discussion, but I saw her in Helly, Dolly! when the tour was in San Francisco a few months ago and thought she was so fun to watch in this show. She had great comedic timing and was clearly having a ball. The rest of the cast was really good too. Mr. EB had never seen HD before and had no idea that a living legend was playing the title role, but he enjoyed the show a lot too (and for reference, his most common review of Broadway tours is "it was okay").

• Love 1

Well now you're all just making me feel bad...

Hopefully I can see Buckley in a cabaret setting instead.

I hope HD continues to tour because I would love to see it.

...anyone else feel like there's just nothing to see on Broadway these days? Not a single show tempts me.

COMPANY will come home to New York this season, with opening night set for March 22, 2020 at Broadway's Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre. The production will officially open on Stephen Sondheim's 90th Birthday following previews, which begin Monday, March 2.

The "company" will be led by Katrina Lenk as Bobbie, and will featured Patti LuPone reprising her role as Joanne. Further casting for the Broadway production has yet to be announced.

INTERESTING. I have no clue how Katrina Lenk is going to sound singing this score. I'll probably listen to the London cast album before seeing it. It's already on a Spotify playlist. I'm just not terribly motivated to listen to Broadway scores lately besides re-listening to Waitress. 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-COMPANY-Will-Open-On-Broadway-This-Spring-Starring-Lenk-LuPone-20190830

The 5th Avenue Theatre has announced that Tony-nominated actor, Rob McClure, will star in the title role of the world premiere production of Mrs. Doubtfire this holiday season.

Playing November 26 - December 29, 2019 (press opening Friday, December 13, 2019), single tickets for Mrs. Doubtfire are on sale now at www.5thavenue.org, by phone at 206.625.1900, or in person at the Box Office at 1308 5th Avenue in Downtown Seattle.

Based upon the beloved 1993 Twentieth Century Fox Motion Picture, Mrs. Doubtfire features a book by Karey Kirkpatrick and John O'Farrell, and music and lyrics by Wayne Kirkpatrick and Karey Kirkpatrick, the Tony Award-nominated team behind Something Rotten, with direction from four-time Tony Award winner Jerry Zaks (Hello, Dolly!), choreography by Lorin Latarro (Waitress), and music supervision by Ethan Popp (Tina: the Tina Turner Musical).

New musical alert! No reason to think it'll come in this season but there are empty theaters come spring and quick transfers are not out of the ordinary these days so I'm keeping an eye on this one. 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Rob-McClure-To-Lead-The-World-Premiere-Of-MRS-DOUBTFIRE-At-The-5th-Avenue-Theatre-20190905

Rupert Everett has joined the cast of the upcoming Broadway revival of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? alongside two-time Tony Award and three-time Emmy Award winner Laurie Metcalf. Everett will succeed the previously announced Eddie Izzard, who departs the production due to scheduling difficulties.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Rupert-Everett-Replaces-Eddie-Izzard-in-WHOS-AFRAID-OF-VIRGINIA-WOOLF-on-Broadway-20190911

My interest has plummeted. 

Broadway cast of Six announced (previews begin on February 13 and opening night is March 12 at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre)

Adrianna Hicks (The Color Purple) as Catherine of Aragon, Andrea Macasaet (Heathers) as Anne Boleyn, Abby Mueller (Beautiful: The Carole King Musical) as Jane Seymour, Brittney Mack (Memphis) as Anna of Cleves, Samantha Pauly(Honeymoon in Vegas) as Katherine Howard and Anna Uzele (Once on This Island) as Catherine Parr

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Broadway cast of Six announced (previews begin on February 13 and opening night is March 12 at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre)

Okay, I'm biting the bullet and getting presale tickets for this.  And getting tickets for Mockingbird with Ed Harris.  Because the best thing to go into hock over is theatre tickets, right??

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

Okay, I'm biting the bullet and getting presale tickets for this.  And getting tickets for Mockingbird with Ed Harris.  Because the best thing to go into hock over is theatre tickets, right??

YES!

(I'm here to help rationalize buying tickets to just about anything)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 9/11/2019 at 8:58 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

YES!

(I'm here to help rationalize buying tickets to just about anything)

You're very persuasive! 🙂  Just bought tickets to Mockingbird, Girl From the North Country and Six for the last week in February.  Yay!!

• Love 1