Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Chapter 26

Bort

I loved the first season -- this one just gives me a headache.  I gave up on trying to follow the story line in episode 2 of this season.  I appreciate the show for trying to give viewers a new experience but it's gotta not go off into the WTF zone.  I couldn't tell you what's happening if you put a gun to my head.

1 hour ago, patty1h said:

I loved the first season -- this one just gives me a headache.  I gave up on trying to follow the story line in episode 2 of this season.  I appreciate the show for trying to give viewers a new experience but it's gotta not go off into the WTF zone.  I couldn't tell you what's happening if you put a gun to my head.

I don’t go to these lengths with any other show, but I like the visuals and actors on this one so much, so ... I go to the reviews on A.V. Club (TV Club.) The reviewer there actually does a really good job of unpacking the actual narrative that’s happening. And when I watch with that knowledge, it all makes sense (and doesn’t seem like something the reviewer is just pulling out of thin air).

That said, I also fast forward through a lot of the trippy stuff that just goes on too long. The back half has also been a bit of a slog, mostly because I miss a lot of the other (and possibly now deceased) characters. I know why we’re focusing on David and Syd and their respective backstories so heavily as we near the end, but ...

• Love 3

I really like seeing more of this version of Charles and the origin of David, while new and improved Syd and Kerry/Cary fight evil time cat monsters! At this point, starting over again might be for the best, David is hardly even in the drivers seat anymore, and even David Prime is losing his sense of self, especially noticeable with his lack of empathy for poor Switch, who is literally falling apart for Davids mission and he dismisses her with a quick "shes nothing" which even Charles, who knows basically nothing about whats going on, calls him out on. It cant be a coincidence that one of the big lessons Syd learned in her second childhood was to have empathy and compassion for others, and not to look at the world through her own lens. 

I kind of wonder what this version of Syd thinks about her backstory with her moms boyfriend. Does she still see herself as the only victim? 

So are those kids all psychic, or some of them, are they the children of Farouks victims of his take over of whatever kingdom his story was pretty obviously actually about? So does David think that if he and his father he can fight Farouk and then he wont be able to infect child David, and none of this will happen? But if Davids parents really want to keep David safe and stable, maybe take that creepy ass doll away from him! Get that kid a teddie bear stat!

So for our final show down, we get Charles and David (if David can hold his many selves together) vs two Farouks, the one from the past and the one from the present!? I mean, its not a rap battle, but it could still be cool.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

So are those kids all psychic, or some of them, are they the children of Farouks victims of his take over of whatever kingdom his story was pretty obviously actually about?

I thought they were the victims trapped in the children's bodies somehow and the king is in the monkey.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

They’ve dangled killing off Farouk before.  If the series wasn’t ending, they’d keep that character around and the struggle would continue.

Farouk was suppose to be locked away in time until he wasn’t.

What are all the stutter scenes suppose to be about, that this time they went to is unstable?

I don’t get why the time demons are still a threat, since David dispatched them rather easily with his thought power.

• Love 1
On 8/8/2019 at 3:16 AM, scrb said:

I don’t get why the time demons are still a threat, since David dispatched them rather easily with his thought power.

15 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

David killed the one time-cat then the others fled. Now they've decided to use Farouk as their cat's paw instead of dealing with David directly.

A horde of them were popping out of the furnace in Xavier and Gabrielle's basement, so I think they're intending to deal with David directly when he was a baby and couldn't fight back. They might be responsible for present Farouk popping out in the past rather than escaping to his own time, but the way he develops new powers at the drop of a hat that's not for certain. (If they're not responsible, Farouk is now capable of time travel unassisted, as he knows how to get to the Time Between Time through that rift/soft place in Australia that he teleported Kerry and Clark to.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the time demons got me too this week. I was watching on a 15-minute delay, and my recording cut out just before Farouk said "interesting" upon meeting himself, dropping me without warning into the subsequent broadcast at the instant when Syd, Kerry, and Cary emerge from the time door onto Xavier's lawn. I watched for WAY too long before it dawned on me that this wasn't an intentional repeat of events like when David and Switch kept doing the same two episodes ago. After about ten minutes I was thinking to myself "Damn, how long is this rewind going to go on before something happens differently and characters catch on that time is skipping? Get to the point Hawley!"

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I have put off watching the last two episodes because I don't want the show to end!

Gabrielle is okay with these strange people showing up on her lawn and then walking into her house?

Why could Syd and the Carys show up in corporeal form but David couldn't?

Oh wow David finally got to talk to his father

Harry Lloyd is a great Charles Xavier

Captain Sensible's WOT is definitely the song everyone should have in telepathic battles

It's sad that David has lost his compassion for others when he used to have it in spades. Saying Switch was just a means and Charles was shocked by this. I'm guessing Syd learning empathy will also happen to David.

A hundred Davids saying Daddy isn't weird at all

So it's Charles and David versus Farouk and Farouk - I can get into this!

Edited by superloislane
On 8/17/2019 at 7:15 AM, superloislane said:

Why could Syd and the Carys show up in corporeal form but David couldn't?

Carey made mechanisms that allow other people to hitchhike and pass through Switch's time doors.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Carey made mechanisms that allow other people to hitchhike and pass through Switch's time doors.

Didn't he already make that for David and that's how he went back in time with her in the first place? But he was still a ghostly presence

I'm not sure what was up with that. Switch didn't seem present in those scenes, so I don't know if she was chilling back in the hallway outside of time or what. But Syd did call out the gadget and had Carey make more for the three of them.

Does anyone in Team Moron remember how and why David ended up the way he was? And that it was Farouk's fault for essentially torturing him mentally for 33 years? And that maybe - just MAYBE - that had something to do with what David was trying to change? And, oh yeah, Farouk is the f'ing BAD GUY here?

Did Farouk do something to everyone at the end of last season that caused them to forget who he is and what he'd done? Maybe he did, maybe this is a time travel thing? 

Because I found Syd's whole conversation with Kerry about whether or not to kill young David completely inexplicable. As though Farouk was no factor at all in his inevitable insanity. 

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 2

To be fair, after meeting Gabrielle it finally dawned on Syd that just because David was traumatized by having a psychic parasite all his life, that doesn't rule out genetics and experiences he would have had without Farouk (reading the minds of everyone around him with no one to teach him how to cope with that) ALSO contributing to his insanity.

They had that conversation well before that. And the words 'Farouk' never once came out of their mouth as a factor. It's as though the reality of Farouk's possession of David and his subsequent carnage has been removed from their reality in some way. Maybe it's just bad writing or maybe it was something they were going to touch on if the show continued. For whatever reason, I found this to be the single most frustrating thing about this season - especially since this ending proved that everything would have been fine if they hadn't turned on David in the first place but had instead helped him.

Also - what was with future Syd? Where did that reality come from and what was her agenda?

• Love 1