Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01/E02: Wait, They're Cutting You Open?/Let's Have a Bravo to Dad!

• Start Topic

On 8/13/2019 at 9:53 AM, readheaded said:

I respectfully disagree.  We don’t discipline our sons with Crohn’s differently than the 1 who doesn’t. They’re all held to the same standards. 

I also disagree. I am disabled, and have had over 100 surgeries since I was born. I was held to a very high standard of behavior because I am the oldest in my family. I wasn't a troublemaker anyway because of my overall personality type - I was always afraid of getting in trouble. But to be lax on kids with disabilities is ridiculous. People already have terrible misconceptions of the disabled, then add to that behavioral issues because parents don't want to discipline them because they have had surgeries? Didn't fly in my family. 

• Love 5
On 8/7/2019 at 7:56 AM, winsomeone said:

What I want to know, is why in the world these people are on a reality show? They live in a mansion, travel all over the world, want for nothing, and hire everything done for themselves. The kids say I want and they seem to get, no matter what it looks like. Is the show merely a platform for Bill to brag about how much they have? All of those riches, etc, and what do we get? A two hour show talking about Jen's surgery. I found that totally boring myself.

Maybe they wanted to show that, no matter what your challenges, you do not need to have a victim attitude and that you can succeed with hard work.

The family is an inspiration.

• Love 10

"

"Maybe they wanted to show that, no matter what your challenges, you do not need to have a victim attitude and that you can succeed with hard work. The family is an inspiration."

Maybe that is so, and they are an inspiration...but how long will they need to inspire us before moving on? Just don't want them to ruin the kids' lives with those damn cameras like other TLC families have done.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:59 PM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

The children are rewarded at every turn in the way of food, toys and activities.

I guess I'm not seeing the over-the-topness that people are complaining about. If Will was really overindulged in terms of food and sweets, he would be a lot heavier than he is. Both children seem to be normal weight. I'm sure Jen and Bill are aware of how important it is for them to maintain appropriate weight due to their skeletal displaysia. Also, a second toy when they were on vacation and probably bored being stuck in a hotel room? I don't see that as a problem. I do think there's a fair amount of mugging for the camera but overall the kids do seem better behaved now that they are getting older. My kid got better when he got older too. It's not that unusual.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I guess I'm not seeing the over-the-topness that people are complaining about. If Will was really overindulged in terms of food and sweets, he would be a lot heavier than he is. Both children seem to be normal weight. Also, a second toy when they were on vacation and probably bored being stuck in a hotel room? I don't see that as a problem.

In the first episode of the season, Judy told Jen that Will had too much sugar and Jen agreed.

Looked at individually, every incident of over indulgence can be explained away. When looked at in the entirety of the series, however, it tells a story of very over indulged children. It would be hard to find an episode where the children weren't given junk food, bought a gift for no reason, or allowed to misbehave.

• Love 4

I have to say that Zoey just had me laughing this whole show. Especially in the talking heads segments, she reminds me so very much of Lily Tomlin's Edith Ann. 

Personally, I love the way the kids are left to be kids for the most part. The family recognizes the privilege they have, and the kids seem to behave as well as most when out in public, but yet they are allowed their age-appropriate behavior. I enjoy watching this family for the most part, and hope that they don't become another TLC train wreck. (Though I doubt that will happen due to Jen's professional status)  

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Since Jen works at a large hospital, I bet there are lots of Indian and Chinese doctors there. I wonder if she ever tries to make friends with any of them so Zoey and Will  can get more of their culture than just a few trips to their countries of origin or dance classes for Zoe?Will especially, seemed to want to be around people who look like him? Just a thought!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Since Jen works at a large hospital, I bet there are lots of Indian and Chinese doctors there. I wonder if she ever tries to make friends with any of them so Zoey and Will  can get more of their culture than just a few trips to their countries of origin or dance classes for Zoe?Will especially, seemed to want to be around people who look like him? Just a thought!

Many universities have programs where children from other countries can spend time with college students from those same countries. It has been something my daughters have enjoyed. I don't know if Zoey and Will participate in such things, but it might be hard to film for permission reasons. International students are becoming more private these days within the current climate. 

Interestingly, my daughters don't seek out friends of their same ethnicities. They are interested in the culture but not so much the people. 

• Love 1