Type keyword(s) to search

The Zoo: San Diego - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

According to the ad, THE ZOO: SAN DIEGO premieres Saturday August 10, 2019 at 8PM.

I just hope I come to love the keepers there as much as I do with the Bronx staff.  There are several in the NY group that I would love to meet in person.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I just hope I come to love the keepers there as much as I do with the Bronx staff.  There are several in the NY group that I would love to meet in person.

Yes! Everyone working at that zoo seems to have an honest love and concern for all of these incredible and beautiful creatures. 

Maybe we'll get to see some different species at the San Diego Zoo since Southern California has a warm, pleasant climate all year long.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Mrs. P. said:

At one point the San Diego zoo was considered one of the best anywhere. Don't know if that's still the case, but I'm looking forward to this series.

Looking forward to it as it was my childhood zoo - lived in San Diego County and went to school there from K thru 4th grade. Back in the 60's they used to bus us kids to visit every couple years. After we moved away, I still had relatives who I'd spend a couple weeks with each summer.

Back then the zoo was cheap outing for kids, but, wow! Cost has gone up. Used to be a bunch of free museums in Balboa Park, too, where the zoo is. IIRC the museums date back to a World Fair held upon completion of Panama Canal. Google tells me most of the museums charge now. This was all before the Safari Park. It's been years, but I remember it taking a couple days to see all the museums and 3-4 days at the zoo - big bucks now even if you buy one package deals

• Love 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Looking forward to it as it was my childhood zoo - lived in San Diego County and went to school there from K thru 4th grade. Back in the 60's they used to bus us kids to visit every couple years. After we moved away, I still had relatives who I'd spend a couple weeks with each summer.

Back then the zoo was cheap outing for kids, but, wow! Cost has gone up. Used to be a bunch of free museums in Balboa Park, too, where the zoo is. IIRC the museums date back to a World Fair held upon completion of Panama Canal. Google tells me most of the museums charge now. This was all before the Safari Park. It's been years, but I remember it taking a couple days to see all the museums and 3-4 days at the zoo - big bucks now even if you buy one package deals

Is the San Diego Wildlife Park still there? I could google it but I know I'll get the real facts/answers from someone on this forum.

I remember back in the 90's (?) there was a big news story about a zoo keeper who was caught on film (by a visitor filming the animals) abusing the elephants. Apparently the zoo keeper thought he was out of range of sight. Dumb fuck. I hope he lost his job, his scrotal sacs and his income. I know.....I'm much too kind! 😁

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Is the San Diego Wildlife Park still there? I could google it but I know I'll get the real facts/answers from someone on this forum.

Yep, still there, but now renamed San Diego Safari Park instead of Wildlife Park https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Zoo_Safari_Park It's actually 30 miles north of the original zoo in Escondito 

Don't remember hearing anything about a keeper abusing elephants, but there were some protests according to above article back in 2003 when the zoo paid to capture some wild elephants to be transported and put on display. "In the summer of 2003, the San Diego Zoological Society and Lowry Park Zoo orchestrated the capture of 11 wild African elephants from the Hlane Royal National Park in Swaziland. The zoos said the animals were scheduled to be killed due to overpopulation.[8] However, In Defense of Animals disputes this, claiming that new fencing costing many times less than the capture and transport would have ended the need to remove any elephants from Swaziland, and that the Save Wild Elephants Coalition reported that there were three other sanctuaries in Africa that had offered to take the elephants." Article goes on to say there have been 13 babies born from those captured elephants and some were teansferred to the Tucson zoo in exchange for a couple of their elephants.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 2

The San Diego Zoo Safari Park was originally named the San Diego Wild Animal Park.  I do remember the incident with the elephant trainer, and believe he lost his job over the incident (it was a long time ago, so I can't be sure).  Entrance fees have skyrocketed over the years, but annual memberships, which give unlimited access to both parks and other perks, have only increased slightly, and are an excellent value.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Animal Planet Goes Behind The Scenes At The SAN DIEGO ZOO And SAFARI PARK

THE ZOO: SAN DIEGO, has a special 2-hour season premiere on Saturday, August 10th at 8PM ET/PT, then the following week will return to its regular time of 9PM ET/PT.

San Diego Zoo Global provides spaces where visitors from around the world can form a personal connection with animals, including rare and endangered species that most people never encounter during their lifetime.  The organization is also working on field conservation projects with almost 400 partners in 45 countries, to save more than 100 species.  This includes efforts to bring the critically endangered northern white rhino--only two of which are left on the planet--back from the brink of extinction.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I hope this was filmed while the pandas were still at the zoo! They were sent back to China a few months ago after over two decades at the SD Zoo.

It looks like the pandas will be in it according to this article.

• Love 2

I was so nervous for that condor egg! The next time we saw the keepers check on the chick, it looked as big as a turkey!

I enjoyed seeing the differences in practice between keeping animals for eventual release vs living in the zoo: cover the birds' eyes, don't make unnecessary sounds, hide from them, zero training, etc.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I would watch an entire season of the baby cheetahs and their chill dog friend Yeti!

It would be great to follow them as they grow up.  Absolutely adorable creatures and Yeti was a big old lump of love.

Hope those cute burrowing owls make it in the wild.  Interesting program working toward reintroduction.

I have never liked baboons, apes, gorillas, monkey, any of those primates so didn't enjoy that story very much.

• Love 2

I am enjoying this series.  I live in San Diego so these are my local zoos.  I am an annual member and have even done Roar and Snore (where you camp) at Safari park. I appreciate that the emphasis conservation, which I am sure the Bronx series did also, because too many people think zoos are just animals in cages. 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

I appreciate that the emphasize conservation, which I am sure the Bronx series did also, because too many people think zoos are just animals in cages.

They did make a point of the conservation and breeding programs on the Bronx series as well as Secret Life of the Zoo (Chester, England).  I have learned a great deal about so many diverse animals on all of these shows!

• Love 7

Aria the Rhino was like a big dog. I often think that when I see rhinos. I like it. Her enclosure looked incredibly boring, though. No wonder she was destroying it. She must have been maddeningly bored. I'm glad she'll be able to go into the larger exhibit. I also wonder if she's really the only rhino there-- don't they live in groups?

The death of the lion was sad, as these things always are. And, again, I wondered about the two of them being alone, especially when there was another group on site. I wish this show would tell us more about the background stories behind the individual moments.

The cassowary who loved being sprayed with a hose reminded me of a story about the tortoise who liked that, too. I'm sure lots of animals like it, but both the tortoise and the cassowary were stretching their necks in a way that echoed in my mind.

The vulture chick was cute, but again I wondered more about what led to it being hand raised. I feel like this show is showing us moments, but not enough narrative continuity.

• Love 4

Dang, I cried a bucket when M'Bari was euthanized. I did like the fact that the film crew was not there and gave the keeper privacy to say good-bye.  Not sure if that was a film crew or zoo staff decision but it was the right one.  Those animals are just magnificent and totally gorgeous.

It amazes me that an animal as big as that rhino can move so fast and also accept food from the hand of the keeper. I hope Aria is now enjoying that huge area in which she can romp.  How do the zoo visitors see the animals out there?  Is there an elevated train that runs through it or something?

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

How do the zoo visitors see the animals out there?  Is there an elevated train that runs through it or something?

There's a tram where you can get off and stop and see the Exhibits.   You can also take a truck ride through.   Or just walk on the trails.

I lived in San Diego for many years.   In fact, one of my high school classmates was a Mammal Keeper at the Park.   Rhinos no less.   She LOVED it.   Went back right before law school and fed the lorikeets.   I have a pic of me feeding the birds, with another on my shoulder waiting its turn.   I was also a "decoy" for the little kids.   They were too excited and shoving their cups of nectar at the birds and scaring them.   So I would patiently wait, get a bird feeding, then have a kid sliiiide his/her cup in while I slid out.    

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Or just walk on the trails.

There are trails through that huge area where there are lots of different mixed animals?  The one with roans and the rhino and antelope?

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I did like the fact that the film crew was not there and gave the keeper privacy to say good-bye

That was thoughtful. I was also happy to hear that they initially left his body where his mate could see it. I've wondered about that with other bonded pairs or apes/packs that have clearly defined social hierarchies.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

There are trails through that huge area where there are lots of different mixed animals?  The one with roans and the rhino and antelope?

No there are trails around them. You can also zip line over them.  There are more than one rhino in the enclosure.  They even have a baby now.   You can do a photo safari where you get to touch one and at the zoo they have an animal encounter where you can do the same  

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

No there are trails around them. You can also zip line over them.

Thanks for that info!  I doubt I will ever be out there but nice to know.

And there goes my day, I just found this.  I have been watching the elephants since this morning.  The babies at dawn (I am in the eastern time zone so started watching them around 5 Pacific time) were a riot this morning.  All kinds of shenanigans going on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

When we spent the night at Safari Park, the baby elephants were up early playing in the water. You could hear them in the campground so a lot of us went down to see them at dawn, after getting woken up by the lions roaring. They were so cute.  

• Love 3

I used to live in San Diego and we had many field trips to the SD Zoo and the Wild Animal Park (the old name for the Safari Park) over the years, so that adds an extra layer of fun to watching this show.

When they initially opened the kangaroo exhibit, you could just walk around feeding the little kangaroos. As cool as it was, I was a little worried about them getting stressed out by being around so many people all day (especially kids who aren't always the most well behaved or respectful of personal space). They later changed the exhibit so people couldn't go inside which seemed like a better idea for everyone involved.

I loved the rhino. Even before they said she was like a big grey dog, I was thinking the same thing.

The lion story was so sad. I'm glad the show allowed the staff some privacy.

• Love 4
On 8/24/2019 at 4:12 PM, Aliconehead said:

I am an annual member and have even done Roar and Snore (where you camp) at Safari park.

I must participate in the next Roar and Snore. Sounds fun and educational. Thanks for the info!

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

Thank you Aliconehead! I love camping and all of nature so I'm going to check out this event. I'm a total moron when it comes to assembling a tent, starting a fire and many other camping related skills. However, I go just to be close to nature. That's what I'm addicted to so camping at SD Safari Park will be a whole other level of experiencing nature!

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Thank you Aliconehead! I love camping and all of nature so I'm going to check out this event. I'm a total moron when it comes to assembling a tent, starting a fire and many other camping related skills. However, I go just to be close to nature. That's what I'm addicted to so camping at SD Safari Park will be a whole other level of experiencing nature!

It’s more clamping than camping.  Tents are set up and they do all the work. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

It’s more clamping than camping.  Tents are set up and they do all the work. 

Ooh! I like that! 

25 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

It breaks my heart to see what is happening in the Amazon.  Too often we see animals from from those areas discussed on the zoo shows.  Horrible.

I can't watch any of the news coverage on this tragedy. This planet is doomed. Destroyed by humans.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

This planet is doomed. Destroyed by humans.

And so much faster than originally predicted.

I first saw a study on it in 1988 and even now we have government that refuses to acknowledge it.  It's like Nero fiddling as Rome burned.  I am so sad for future generations.  It's probably good that I never had kids knowing what I know now about what's coming.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

And so much faster than originally predicted.

I first saw a study on it in 1988 and even now we have government that refuses to acknowledge it.  It's like Nero fiddling as Rome burned.  I am so sad for future generations.  It's probably good that I never had kids knowing what I know now about what's coming.

I'm very pleased with my decision not to have kids. There is no decent legacy to be left for them. Nor is there one to be proud of.

• Love 5

I don't know why, but I'm having a hard time getting into this show. I absolutely LOVE the Bronx Zoo show, but somehow this San Diego version just isn't doing anything for me, and actually I find it kind of depressing.

They're not telling us much about the various species. They keep showing us animals who are in these empty enclosures where they look bored and stressed. I don't know if it's produced by a different team, or if the zoo itself is just boring?? It's hard to imagine it would be boring, but so far I'm just really not feeling it.

It's not that they don't have some interesting animals and stories. But it all is just so flat.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

this San Diego version just isn't doing anything for me,

I blame the ugly uniforms! Baggy, rumpled khaki shirts and pants do nobody any favors.

I was very happy to see on tonight's episode that their elephant babies are healthy and thriving. It's always interesting to me to see how much is involved in moving huge animals

• Love 1

The Bronx Zoo show is my favorite, but I am enjoying San Diego. What I have noticed is how it is SO sunny all of the time. Some of the zookeepers wear sunglasses, but all of them should be protecting their eyes. 

Does anyone know when the Bronx Zoo starts up again?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The Bronx Zoo show is my favorite, but I am enjoying San Diego.

I like them both but must admit Secret Life of the Zoo is my absolute favorite.  Great stories plus those accents!  Something about a keeper telling a fractious giraffe that he is "so NAW-ty!

• Love 6