Type keyword(s) to search

Avenue 5 in the Media

• Start Topic

‘Avenue 5’: Zach Woods To Co-Star In Armando Iannucci’s HBO Comedy Pilot

Silicon Valley star Zach Woods is set for a lead role opposite Hugh Laurie, Suzy Nakamura and Rebecca Front in Armando Iannucci’s HBO space comedy pilot Avenue 5.

Created, written and executive produced by Iannucci, Avenue 5 is set in the future, mostly in space. Woods will play Matt Spencer, head of Customer Relations. Despite being a nihilist, Matt is a nice guy who can’t wait to get to the end of his final cruise before promotion to a more senior role on Earth. He has a performance background, but gave up trying to make it as an entertainer years ago.

‘Avenue 5’: Josh Gad To Star In Armando Iannucci’s HBO Comedy Pilot

Josh Gad is set as a lead opposite Hugh Laurie and Zach Woods in Armando Iannucci’s HBO space comedy pilot Avenue 5.

Created, written and executive produced by Iannucci, Avenue 5 is set in the future, mostly in space.

Gad will play Herman Judd, the billionaire face and name behind Avenue 5 and the whole Judd brand, which includes hotels, fitness clubs and space tourism. Judd is used to a life of luxury. He made his money from holiday resorts and thinks he’s good at everything else. Terrible at science, he leaves that to the scientists he employs to give him the answers he wants.

Aaaand it's been picked up to series!
Armando Iannucci’s Space Comedy ‘Avenue 5’ Gets Series Order At HBO

As Armando Iannucci’s Veep is airing its final season on HBO, the premium cable network has picked up a new series from the British creator. HBO has given a series order to Iannucci’s space comedy pilot Avenue 5, starring Hugh Laurie, Josh Gad, Zach Woods and Nikki Amuka-Bird.

Created, written and executive produced by Iannucci, who directed the pilot, Avenue 5 is space tourism comedy set 40 years in the future when the solar system is everyone’s oyster. With Hugh Laurie as the Captain, nothing can go wrong. Rebecca Front, Lenora Crichlow, Suzy Nakamura and Ethan Phillips co-star...

Laurie is Ryan Clark, Captain of space cruise ship Avenue 5. Gad plays Herman Judd, the billionaire face and name behind Avenue 5 and the whole Judd brand, including hotels, fitness clubs and space tourism. Woods is Matt Spencer, Head of Customer Relations.

Amuka-Bird portrays Rav Mulcair, Head of Judd Mission Control on Earth. Front is Karen Kelly, a born leader who illicitly boarded Avenue 5 using her sister’s non-transferable ticket. Crichlow plays Billie McEvoy, the second engineer. Nakamura is Iris Kimura, Judd’s right-hand-woman. Phillips portrays Spike Martin, an elderly space enthusiast and former astronaut who is a grizzled womanizer and heavy drinker.

I did not know anything about this until I saw a teaser for it earlier today and recognized Hugh Laurie (after a minute of "I know that guy, he looks familiar"). I never watched Veep, it's style of humor just didn't appeal to me, so this series may not be my cup of tea.  After watching the teaser again, I have to say that I don't understand why the show is set in the future on a spacecraft.  There doesn't appear to be any difference from a modern day cruise ship. 

Well, it really ups the stakes. Even in the future space is going to be dangerous.  

I've only seen clips of Veep so I'm not sure about this either. But I'll sub to HBO for at least a month at some point to check it out.  

• Love 1

From The Rolling Stone review;

There are many surprises contained within Avenue 5, HBO’s new sci-fi comedy about a space cruise to Saturn that goes awry. Some of these are good, and it would ruin many of the show’s jokes to reveal them here. But the biggest surprise is a disappointing one: that Veep creator Armando Ianucci’s first TV series since he left behind Selina Meyer is kind of an unwieldy mess. The good surprises may eventually solve the bad one, but it’s hard to tell based on the four episodes provided for review.

There's more about specifics of the first episode at the above link.

• Love 2

‘Avenue 5’ Renewed For Season 2 By HBO

“We’ve loved every minute of Avenue 5’s inaugural voyage,” says Amy Gravitt, EVP HBO Programming. “Armando Iannucci and his team are masters of smart and incisive comedy, and the ensemble cast, brilliantly captained by Hugh Laurie, is second to none. We can’t wait to see what’s in store for our hapless heroes in season two.”

Created and executive produced by Veep creator Iannucci, Avenue 5 is set forty years in the future when traveling the solar system is no longer the stuff of sci-fi fantasy, but a booming, multibillion-dollar business. The series kicked off its nine-episode first season January 19.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm trying to figure what Amy Gravitt was smoking when she gave these quotes out.

With ratings of 0.1 each episode msince the premiere (which was only 0.2), I'm not sure how this was renewed!

16 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Uggh.  I'm trying to figure what Amy Gravitt was smoking when she gave these quotes out.

Because she's not talking about this show.  I'm also trying to figure out where the "smart and incisive writing" can be found -- 5 episodes in, and no sign of it.

15 hours ago, Netfoot said:

With ratings of 0.1 each episode msince the premiere (which was only 0.2), I'm not sure how this was renewed!

The rating on IMDb had gone down slightly since the premiere; but now it has ticked up a bit.  Even though it's still low by all standards known to modern man; up is up.

A lot about this show is gross AND cringeworthy; but a lot of the writing is really sharp AND funny. As for the characters, although I'd never belly up to the bar with any of them (except maybe Billie...then I'd make it a point not to make her laugh); they are just ridiculously enough over-the-top to be entertaining.

• Love 1

AVENUE 5 takes us to a not-so-distant future where space tourism is a booming business. While manning a luxury spacecraft owned by Herman Judd (Josh Gad), Captain Ryan Clark (Hugh Laurie) finds himself in over his head when the ship is thrown disastrously off-course – turning what was meant to be an eight-week cruise into an eight-year journey. Picking up five months after failing to reroute the vessel, season two follows the crew – including fiery engineer Billie (Lenora Crichlow), unpredictable head of customer relations Matt (Zach Woods), and faithful right-hand Iris (Suzy Nakamura) – as they struggle to lead, calm, control, and, if need be, hide from increasingly unruly passengers. On earth, they’re lauded as heroes, and in space, everyone can hear them scream.

• Love 2

On IMDB rating: 6.6. I think this says a lot. The snappy and literate dialogue, along with the biting social commentary, would strongly suggest writing outside the US. Seriously doubt it would fly (!) on American Network TV, let alone get another season. Plenty of broad comedy, but assumes a level of sophistication of the audience that's very rare here. Plenty of shows make me smile or snort, but this is the only one it gets an out-loud laugh from me several times an episode. Looking through the reviews, it really strikes me how many of them expressed wonder at the savage reviews early in its run. It seems many of them were annoyed at the lack of dead-accurate science and fart jokes. I'll admit the sci-fi twist of the show is why I started watching in the first place, but the excellent writing has kept me as a fan.

On 12/4/2022 at 2:48 AM, AmigaJoe said:

Plenty of broad comedy, but assumes a level of sophistication of the audience that's very rare here.

Word!

On 12/4/2022 at 2:48 AM, AmigaJoe said:

but the excellent writing has kept me as a fan.

Ditto, my fingers are crossed for Season 3.

• Love 1