Type keyword(s) to search

Sunnyside In The Media

• Start Topic

New upcoming NBC comedy picked up to series, produced by and starring Kal Penn

Sunnyside stars Penn as Garrett Modi, a former New York City councilman who lost his way and got busted for public intoxication. Now he’s been “hired by a diverse group of hopefuls who dream of becoming American citizens and believe he can help — giving him a new sense of purpose and a chance for redemption, as long as he remembers where he came from,” per the official synopsis. Penn also serves as co-creator, along with Matt Murray (The Good Place, Brooklyn Nine-Nine), as well as an EP.

This trailer was interesting - the stupid asian trope was a big grating, but this feels like The Good Place meets Community - I think Mike Schur is one of the only showrunners who could pull this off.

31 minutes ago, bros402 said:

This trailer was interesting - the stupid asian trope was a big grating, but this feels like The Good Place meets Community - I think Mike Schur is one of the only showrunners who could pull this off.

I am pretty sure it’s an Abby’s situation where he is just an executive producer and won’t be the showrunner. It was created by and will be exec produced/starring Kal Penn.

23 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I am pretty sure it’s an Abby’s situation where he is just an executive producer and won’t be the showrunner. It was created by and will be exec produced/starring Kal Penn.

Yeah, but even Abby's has its charms - he hasn't had a really bad show yet

(edited)
5 hours ago, bros402 said:

Yeah, but even Abby's has its charms - he hasn't had a really bad show yet

My point was that he didn’t write any episodes of Abby’s and wasn’t involved in the day to day so crediting him with the success or failure of Abby’s or Sunnyside isn’t accurate. He was much more responsible and has written multiple episodes of B99 but it’s really Dan Goor’s baby and he is mostly responsible for it but because of Mike’s awesomesauceness Dan often gets over shadowed in favor of Mike and Mike’s connection to this show is minuscule in comparison.

Edited by biakbiak
18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

My point was that he didn’t write any episodes of Abby’s and wasn’t involved in the day to day so crediting him with the success or failure of Abby’s or Sunnyside isn’t accurate. He was much more responsible and has written multiple episodes of B99 but it’s really Dan Goor’s baby and he is mostly responsible for it but because of Mike’s awesomesauceness Dan often gets over shadowed in favor of Mike and Mike’s connection to this show is minuscule in comparison.

Yeah, but him executive producing it means it at least has his/his production company's "seal of approval" (for lack of a better term) - since I do not think he has executive produced anything bad. Let me look at wikipedia

He has executive produced:
The Office
Parks & Recreation
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Master of None
The Good Place
Abby's

and now Sunnyside

Just now, bros402 said:

Yeah, but him executive producing it means it at least has his/his production company's "seal of approval" (for lack of a better term) -

Right but the two he hasn’t had significant involvement with Abby’s and based on the trailer Sunnyside have been week. Even Masters of None he was much more involved with even though it was Aziz and Yang’s baby.

Maybe "Perfect Harmony" will be close behind.  Neither show is worthy of "Must See" NBC Thursday lineup IMO.  Some individual bright spots in "Sunnyside", but not enough to keep me watching beyond Ep. 3.  I gave up on "Perfect Harmony" after Ep 2.

• Love 1
On 10/16/2019 at 7:29 AM, BusyOctober said:

Maybe "Perfect Harmony" will be close behind.  Neither show is worthy of "Must See" NBC Thursday lineup IMO.  Some individual bright spots in "Sunnyside", but not enough to keep me watching beyond Ep. 3.  I gave up on "Perfect Harmony" after Ep 2.

Oh i hope not, I like Perfect Harmony..This show was pretty bad..