Type keyword(s) to search

Prodigal Son in the Media

• Start Topic

For those who might not know, the next two Mondays will be reruns, and March 9 will have another show take the show's timeslot for that night. So the next new episode is March 16th.

Next episode promo:

Edited by Trini
  • Useful 2

Some spoiler-ish interviews with Dermot Mulroney,

TV Insider:

Yes, there's a flashback or two. The storyline is very deep. The backstories are brilliant. It all comes to a climactic conclusion in the final episode that's kind of unbelievable. You will see more of it.

TVLine:

“You should be worried about everybody for the rest of the season,” the actor admits with a laugh. “It’s very, very dangerous to be one of those characters.”

TV Guide:

So, what was it like to read that your character would be so evil that it could be intimidating to even The Surgeon?

Mulroney: I thought that was going to be great, and it turns out the storyline that they came up with is way more — I only read that first script, right when they offered, I didn't hesitate for a second. Then I saw this cast. So, I took the part, and then I saw a couple of episodes, so that made me even more excited when I realized they were really onto something. It's sort of like their creepy, posh tone and weird, psychological humor — yeah, they've had some really cool stuff on this show, and it all comes to pitch in the end of this first season. It is really fun to play.

• Useful 1

This article about how the pandemic shutdowns have affected Fox programming mentions the reason for the out of order filming: 

But a lucky scheduling predicament helped Fox have a proper ending for its breakout freshman drama Prodigal Son. Because of a theater commitment in London for star Michael Sheen, episodes were shot out of order, so the Season 1 finale was filmed early. While the season will be two episodes short, the stand-alone episodes do not interfere with the overreaching season arc, which will come to a conclusion in the finale.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/fox-entertainment-suddenly-well-suited-weather-covid-19-shutdown-wwe-animation-fewer-pilots-1202897342/

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

'...Stars and Showrunners Reveal Their Favorite Episodes of Their Own Shows'

Tom Payne - Prodigal Son

S1E1, "Pilot" - "Because this is the introduction to the world and the characters of Prodigal Son, and making it was such a wonderful whirlwind experience."

S1E13, "Wait and Hope" - "The Super Bowl episode where we crammed as much crazy stuff in as possible! I also got to reunite with our delightful guest star Michael Siberry who I worked with way back in 2005 in my first West End play in London."

• Love 1

I wonder if the fact that the show films in New York City - which is one of the places hardest by the pandemic in the U.S. - is a factor in whether it gets renewed or not? I feel like there should have been news either way by now.

Well, Fox announced its Fall schedule today, and Prodigal Son wasn't mentioned. However, the analysis at Deadline seems to think the outlook is good:

Fox is yet to make decisions on several current series and all of its pilots, whose production was suspended by the pandemic. Of the remaining series, dramas The Resident and Prodigal Son and comedy Last Man Standing are looking good to come back next midseason, contingent on making deals with the producing studios.

And there's this from TV Grim Reaper, who keeps track of renewals and cancellations:

Now Deadline is saying it's renewed, but that hasn't been officially announced:

https://deadline.com/2020/05/outmatched-canceled-fox-one-season-1202901039/

The move, which was fully expected, leaves Prodigal Son as the only Fox series formally on the bubble. That drama, starring Michael Sheen, is getting renewed, contingent on finalizing deals and locking in Sheen’s schedule.

I'm guessing they are also weighing their options for possibly moving production out of NYC.

• Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

This was my favorite new show of the season so I could not be happier.   I am really looking forward to where the show takes Ainsley next season.   The first season had its stumbles but for me it hit more then it missed.    Although it does look like the wait is going to be longer then usual but still....yay!!!!!! 😃 🎉 😆 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

This was my favorite new show of the season so I could not be happier.   I am really looking forward to where the show takes Ainsley next season.   The first season had its stumbles but for me it hit more then it missed.    Although it does look like the wait is going to be longer then usual but still....yay!!!!!! 😃 🎉 😆 

Usually I am the death knell for new shows, so I try not to get attached.  But this year I went 3 for 3!!

Evil got the renewal right away, but they made me nervous with Stumptown, especially.  It seemed like Prodigal Son was guaranteed a renewal but, with my track record, I never count chickens.

It's a Quarantine Miracle!

As long as I'm guaranteed a maximum dose of Sheen, I can wait.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yay!  Hopefully Bright will get his act together next season and take Edrissa out finally. 

27 minutes ago, Driad said:

How about threads in this forum for the characters?  Would be interesting to discuss Ainsley's development, for example.

You can actually start the threads yourself.  

• Love 2
23 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Prodigal Son is returning on Tuesday nights sometime in January on FOX.

I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to this.  This was definitely one of my favorite new shows.    January can’t come soon enough.  

• Love 1

And now there's a season 2 premiere date: Tuesday, Jan. 12.

And a little bit about season two:

Season Two picks up with Bright's personal life in disarray after the shocking actions of his sister, AINSLEY (Halston Sage), in the Season One finale. Now, he must "take care" of her and protect his mother, JESSICA WHITLY (Bellamy Young), from a secret that could tear the family apart all over again. Further complicating matters, Martin seeks to deepen his relationship with Bright, his "prodigal son," but forging this bond leads to shocking twists and revelations.

• Love 1

Interview with the showrunners, Chris Fedak and Sam Sklaver:

Nerds and Beyond: One of the things you sort of touched on, is that your show is unique in that you have to balance having an interesting case of the week, with also moving along the serialized plot. And this season especially, it seems like you’re going to continue to have very interesting, very dark cases of the week. How do you create that balance of making whatever case they’re working on that week entertaining, but still giving the answers to the larger arcs and the larger question?

Chris Fedak: It’s really a structure, it’s a scaffolding that you build the show on top of. So, the fact that you have a case of the week isn’t a bad thing. It allows you to explore a specific theme and story. And because we as writers are allowed to choose what case and how we want to attack it and what world we’re going to be going into, we’re usually trying to find a way to kind of blend the theme and the character work along into the case itself. So, it’s not always like a one to one. Bright’s not always trying to solve a case that has to do with bad dads, but they’re always using the case to kind of help us along.

But I think that we also figured out last year is that, there are episodes where we twisted the way the case works, be it episode 11 or the finale. And the show can handle it. The show doesn’t have to be “there’s a body at the end of act one,” but sometimes we can change that up a little bit. So, that’s a real kind of testament to the cast and our team, but it’s exciting for us.