Type keyword(s) to search

Transparent: In The Media

I was wondering if anyone heard when this series will be released on DVD? I'd love to own it and would hope it might have some insightful commentaries and interesting extras.

I'm glad it's getting some awards recognition (well, nominations so far) but thought it might get a few more than it has. I've a feeling Jeffery Tambor will win at the Golden Globes, though. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the Emmy nominations come out next summer. That's when Season 2 should be just about starting to air, I think.

Soooooo excited for both the show and Jeffrey Tambor.  But mostly the show because I'm really hoping this extra bit of exposure will get people to watch it.  I love this show so much and nobody I talk about it to has ever heard of it!  And even after I tell them about it, and even if they already have Amazon Prime, nobody seems that interested.  I feel like a crazy person being like, "It's really amazing! Really really!"  I think winning a big award like this can only help the show gain an audience.  And hopefully lead to people I know watching it so we can gush about it together.  

• Love 2

Soooooo excited for both the show and Jeffrey Tambor.  But mostly the show because I'm really hoping this extra bit of exposure will get people to watch it.  I love this show so much and nobody I talk about it to has ever heard of it!  And even after I tell them about it, and even if they already have Amazon Prime, nobody seems that interested.  I feel like a crazy person being like, "It's really amazing! Really really!"  I think winning a big award like this can only help the show gain an audience.  And hopefully lead to people I know watching it so we can gush about it together.  

This is me--I expected this to take off and go viral, and that these forums would be pretty active. I guess not that many people are using Amazon Prime for their original content yet. Even on reddit, the GG wins barely registered.

I'm having the same problem with Mozart in the Jungle, also Amazon.

2015 Emmy nominations:

Outstanding Comedy Series

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series - Jeffrey Tambor

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series - Gaby Hoffman

Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series - Jill Soloway (Best New Girl)

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series - Jill Soloway (Pilot)

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series - Bradley Whitford

• Love 2

From TVLine: Transparent Season 2 Trailer Tackles Gender Reassignment Surgery

“How are your parents?” / “The usual, you know: Mom’s good, Dad’s a woman.”

This casual exchange, between a partygoer and Jay Duplass’ Josh, shows just how comfortable Transparent‘s Pfefferman family has become with patriarch Maura’s (Jeffrey Tambor) journey — a journey which, as you’ll see in the just-released Season 2 trailer, is far from over.

• Love 1

Does anyone know when (or if) a DVD of Season One is coming out? I ask because we stream with AppleTV, which has no Amazon content. I'm Amazon Prime, but I hate watching TV on anything other than a TV, and the picture gets too low-res when I try to send the show from a different device to my TV using Airplay. I could get an Amazon thingie to stick into an HDMI port on the TV, but we're out of HDMI ports, and I don't want to be constantly unplugging one thing to plug in another. So, amazing as it is in this day and age, there is no satisfactory way for me to watch Transparent until a physical DVD comes out! (Which I hope will be soon, because I hear such great things about the show.)

Does anyone know when (or if) a DVD of Season One is coming out? I ask because we stream with AppleTV, which has no Amazon content. I'm Amazon Prime, but I hate watching TV on anything other than a TV, and the picture gets too low-res when I try to send the show from a different device to my TV using Airplay. I could get an Amazon thingie to stick into an HDMI port on the TV, but we're out of HDMI ports, and I don't want to be constantly unplugging one thing to plug in another. So, amazing as it is in this day and age, there is no satisfactory way for me to watch Transparent until a physical DVD comes out! (Which I hope will be soon, because I hear such great things about the show.)

I've got similar issues with where to watch Amazon. I just watch it on my laptop or iPad because the show is that good- I just want to watch it! Maybe try it on your laptop and see how it works. Who knows how long until the DVD comes out.

2016 Golden Globe nominations:

Best TV Series, Comedy

Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Limited-Series, or TV Movie - Judith Light

SAG award nominations:

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series - Jeffrey Tambor

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series

• Love 1

I'm in Canada so many things available on Amazon.com are not available on Amazon.ca . I know that 'Transparent' is available on 'Showmi' but I can't get that right now. I had assumed like most shows it would come out on DVD around the premiere of the latest season but I guess that's not what is happening with this show ... which seems odd to me. I wanted to see Season 2 so much I actually ended up watching it on my iPhone via ... well, let's just say 'somewhere else' online. 

2016 Critics' Choice Award nominations:

BEST COMEDY SERIES

Transparent

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES

Jeffrey Tambor – Transparent

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES

Jay Duplass – Transparent

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES

Judith Light – Transparent

BEST GUEST ACTOR/ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES

Anjelica Huston – Transparent

Cherry Jones – Transparent

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

I had assumed like most shows it would come out on DVD around the premiere of the latest season but I guess that's not what is happening with this show ... which seems odd to me.

I know. That's what I assumed, too, and am disappointed it hasn't happened so far. I guess Amazon still derives more value from driving people to watch last year's season on Amazon than it would from the revenues earned from DVD sales and rentals. Maybe new Amazon Prime memberships (from people driven to sign up because they want the show even if they didn't want Amazon Prime for another reason), combined with the legitimacy that streaming from Amazon gives Amazon as a content-source rather than just a place to buy stuff, outweigh the rewards Amazon might get from a physical-media release. 

2016 Critics' Choice Award nominations:

BEST COMEDY SERIES

Transparent

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES

Jeffrey Tambor – Transparent

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES

Jay Duplass – Transparent

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES

Judith Light – Transparent

Anjelica Huston – Transparent

Cherry Jones – Transparent

All of this is awesome (go Cherry Jones and Anjelica!) but where the f is Sarah Landecker's nomination? She's so good, I don't get why she isn't nominated for everything.

Also, I really don't like Hari Nef. I can't put my finger on why..maybe because she is like an uber-hipster and hipsters bug me like no other. I fast forward every scene with her. I don't get why Jill Solloway loves her so much she wrote a part just for her.

they are working on the third season...

Apparently Amazon will never release the show to any format other than Amazon streaming. They stubbornly want to drive people to watch it their way. Well, despite that I really want to see this show (and also the one that imagines how the world would be if the Nazis won), I can be just as stubborn. :)

• Love 1

But Amazon has released others of its shows on DVD - notably ALPHA  HOUSE. I guess they think the numbers indicate that the demographic TRANSPARENT appeals to doesn't include people whose preference is to own a copy of something rather than just access one. Presumably it also means they'd rather lose some sales to unauthorized downloads. Their choice, of course.

All of this is awesome (go Cherry Jones and Anjelica!) but where the f is Sarah Landecker's nomination? She's so good, I don't get why she isn't nominated for everything.

Also, I really don't like Hari Nef. I can't put my finger on why..maybe because she is like an uber-hipster and hipsters bug me like no other. I fast forward every scene with her. I don't get why Jill Solloway loves her so much she wrote a part just for her.

Just an alternate view--I didn't know who "Hari Nef" was until today, but liked the character and performance in S2. After a google image search (I think I happened to stumble across the actress's name in a recap today), I kind of get the vibe you mean, but I don't know anything about the performer as a person. If I wanted to get really self-analytical, I'd say maybe I'm of a certain age where a certain kind of tumblr aesthetic can be off-putting, but maybe that's overly reductive. Or maybe "uber hipster" was the right phrase to begin with, dunno. :)

This is relevant in that it shows that Amazon doesn't have an across-the-board hatred of Apple: Amazon's theatrical film division produced Spike Lee's Chi-Raq, and that movie will be on iTunes by the end of this month, according to Vulture. So the continued non-appearance of Transparent Season One on iTunes is perhaps even more of a mystery than it was.

Emmy nominations:

Lead actor in a comedy - Jeffrey Tambor
Comedy series
Outstanding supporting actress in a comedy series - Judith Light
Outstanding supporting actress in a comedy series - Gaby Hoffmann
Outstanding guest actor in a comedy series - Bradley Whitford
Outstanding guest actress in a comedy series - Melora Hardin
Outstanding production design for a narrative program (half-hour or less)
Outstanding Casting For A Comedy Series
Outstanding Costumes For A Contemporary Series, Limited Series Or Movie
Outstanding Directing For A Comedy Series - Jill Soloway

Transparent received seven Emmy nominations!

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES - Jeffrey Tambor

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES - Kathryn Hahn

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES - Judith Light

OUTSTANDING PRODUCTION DESIGN FOR A NARRATIVE PROGRAM (HALF-HOUR OR LESS)

OUTSTANDING CASTING FOR A COMEDY SERIES

OUTSTANDING CONTEMPORARY COSTUMES FOR A SERIES, LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE

OUTSTANDING CINEMATOGRAPHY FOR A SINGLE-CAMERA SERIES (HALF-HOUR)

Hopefully this will tank one of the worst shows I have ever seen.   Good riddance, Pfeffermans.

I don't know what to make of the allegations.   Trace Lysette seemed credible until she said something like, "Hopefully this show won't be killed due to the actions of one cisgender male actor."   That made me think "agenda" (since transgender activists have complained about Tambor's casting from the very start).  Suddenly Trace's allegations were cast into doubt.

At the same time, Tambor is not especially sympathetic.   He comes off as a prima dona, and now he seems to be playing the victim, if not trying to capitalize on it:

“Given the politicized atmosphere that seems to have afflicted our set, I don’t see how I can return to Transparent.”

Bet it's nothing money can't fix, eh, Jeff?

The fact that two co-workers have now accused Tambor also works against his denials.

I have always condemned Tambor's casting myself, but for different reasons.   He played a buffoonish, unlikable crossdresser in Hill Street Blues.   I was a teenager then, struggling with my own transgender issues.   Seeing Tambor's character on TV made me feel embarrassed about myself.   I have never forgotten that.   So it was a bitter pill when I heard he was cast as this supposedly ground-breaking transgender character in Transparent.   It was a long time before I could bring myself to watch the show.   In the end, I watched simply to be informed, since the show was making an impact.    Wish I never had.   Even if you set the whole transgender issue aside, the Pfefferman characters are annoying, self-absorbed and beyond insufferable.

• Love 2

I don't think it's at all about money. I think the point is that no matter what happens now the cast and crew will be divided about his presence and it will poison everyone's ability to work. I'm saddened because I really did like this show, although the quality clearly fell of quite a bit in season 4.

19 minutes ago, wendyg said:

I don't think it's at all about money. I think the point is that no matter what happens now the cast and crew will be divided about his presence and it will poison everyone's ability to work. I'm saddened because I really did like this show, although the quality clearly fell of quite a bit in season 4.

I was suggesting that he may have put himself in a position of power by announcing his departure before the showrunners have made any kind of decision.   Objectively speaking, it's a good strategy.  He's the star of the show.   His character is the headliner.   Now the show may have to make a choice: 1) call it a day, 2) go on without him (which seems very unlikely) or 3) fix the problems on the set (i.e. the accusers) and perhaps pay him additional money to return.

The problem is you can't have a show that's supposedly blazing a path for the trans community keep a star who, despite what he has said publicly, is apparently so uncomfortable with the younger, more glamorous trans women as to view them as sexual targets. It invalidates everything else the show is trying to do.

Lysette's story is so specific you can even identify the scene she's talking about. It's the beginning of S02e03, "New World Coming".

• Love 1

Jill Soloway and Hannah Gadsby at a New York Times Talk. It was ostensibly about Jill's new book "She Wants It," but she talks about the show several times, including the accusations against Jeffrey Tambor and casting him as Maura in the first place. This was originally a livestream so skip the first 12 minutes (most of that time is just a black screen saying that the talk hasn't started yet and then there are a few minutes of introductions):