Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: AKA I Have No Spleen

It would feel satisfying if I weren't so angry about what they did to Trish and the close relationship those two had. It was easily the strongest point of season 1 having those two women which are so different having this close bound, and they just ruined it for cheap shock value and drama.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, mrspidey said:

Jessica backhanding Trish all across that alley felt so damn satisfying. What a self-absorbed moron. 

I felt the same way. I might've even cheered outloud.

Trish left her supposed friend and sister unconscious on the street so she could steal the lead Jessica got because she's never even realized that Jessica learned how to be detective that wasn't something that was just given to her.

I know they will probably make up but they shouldn't Trish is toxic and Jessica doesn't need someone like that in her life. I was one that never really liked Trish even in season 1. I felt she was latched onto Jessica because she was special and she could feel special by knowing her. I don't doubt she cares about her in her own way but that was because they grew up together. I don't think she would've felt the same if Jessica didn't have powers. 

• Love 6

The fact that Trish didn't even that smack coming makes her an even bigger moron.  She really thinks that training for a year will make her prepared for anything?  Seriously, most of the "heroes" or whatever they are referred have had years of experience before they dive into their crime-fighting jobs.  Even Danny Rand actually prepped!

I really hope they are actually planning something bigger with Jeri, because all of her scenes don't fit in and it is feeling like a case of them just wanting to keep Carrie Ann-Moss onboard, but they don't quite know what they want to do with her yet.  Only time I gain interest is whenever Malcolm is involved.

Unsurprisingly, the Brandt guy wasn't the attacker and now Jessica thinks that the real target was actually chef guy she's kind of into.  I so hope it is something simple like a rival chef threaten by his magical burger and wants to be the new big cheese in town!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

The fact that Trish didn't even that smack coming makes her an even bigger moron.  She really thinks that training for a year will make her prepared for anything?  Seriously, most of the "heroes" or whatever they are referred have had years of experience before they dive into their crime-fighting jobs.  Even Danny Rand actually prepped!

I don't have a problem w/ Trish's training, we saw in season one she had been training to fight for years, and pretty obsessively. Throwing some enhanced abilities on top of that should make her pretty formidable, with an even greater focus on training those over the past year. How much has Jessica ever trained? For that matter, how much time did she spend leaning how to be a P.I.? That's never really been explained how she developed those skills, I don't see her doing an apprenticeship under anyone, just diving in and learning along the way. It's not like Spider-Man ever spends years of training in the MCU, or any of his iterations. 

Now, Jessica and Spidey possess abilities that are a significantly greater than what Trish has, but i don't think the is much reason for her to train for longer, at some point she's gonna have to to dive in and learn on the job.

That said, her suggestion that she's unstoppable is just stupid, considering her power set is pretty low level. I think the exhilaration she is experiencing with her newfound abilities is clouding her judgement and inhibiting her sense of caution. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Good episode.  Jessica smacking Trish across a street alley was immensely satisfying, as was her telling Trish that's she been a hero for all of five minutes.  It is a shame because Jessica/Trish was one of those great TV friendships.  But Trish is an obnoxious junkie whose latest fix is wanting to be a superhero.

Props to Krysten Ritter, who really does make you feel as bad physically as her character does right now.

Like many of the Marvel Netflix series, this episode could have used some tighter editing.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

Jessica just smacking Trish after she said she was "unstoppable" was quite satisfying, not gonna lie. Her self importance is just such a pain, it doesent make her more heroic, it just makes her seem more selfish. I mean, she looked at her passed out sister/best friend and was like "perfect, chance to take her info!" even if she did call an ambulance. 

That being said, I really miss their friendship, and I hate that its come to this with them. Their friendship was one of the best things about this show, and I wish that none of this fight had ever happened. I miss their banter so much, and actually liking Trish. 

So is this stuff with Jerri actually going somewhere? Beyond her apparent habit of cheating on her girlfriends/wives and leaving them for other people?

• Love 5
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

That being said, I really miss their friendship, and I hate that its come to this with them. Their friendship was one of the best things about this show, and I wish that none of this fight had ever happened. I miss their banter so much, and actually liking Trish. 

I liked their friendship too. I also like the comedy they are doing with the shopping channel bits. That said if this series ends and we don't even get one flashback of "It's Patsy" I will be extremely disappointed.

• Love 4

The QVC show selling those hideous sweaters is my favorite thing so far this season. Don't like whatever Jerri is up to and I'm bored by the rest so far. I think I'm over all the angst and this show used to be my favorite of them.

While it's great that Trish has been training for the last year, she doesn't seem to understand that Jessica doesn't NEED to train because her powers are so strong and she's had them for so long. She doesn't need to do a running back flip off a wall because she can just smack someone and they go down. Heh, or maybe Trish DOES realize that and that's just one more reason that she's still jealous of Jessica.

At any rate, she seems to think that because she's training, she's somehow morally superior to Jessica as a superhero, which is not the case. To put it another way, there are some people who spend years taking voice lessons in order to sound good and then there are people with natural talent who sound amazing without any training at all. When I watch American Idol, I don't care how hard you've worked. All I care about is how good you sound. No, Jessica isn't parkouring all over the place, but she doesn't need to. She gets results without doing back flips.

I loved Jessica's doctor waxing poetic about the spleen and all his dad joke level spleen puns. I know he was just there so Jessica could roll her eyes at him, but it's nice to have those light moments of humor.

I also love that Gillian is good at her job and takes care of Jessica (well, as much as Jessica will let her) but that she draws the line at 5pm no matter what. I appreciate that she's got boundaries and that she leaves work behind at exactly 5pm every single day.

For anyone who thought Patsy wasn't a good actress, the zeal with which she sells all those cardigans is probably the best acting she's done in her entire life. I love that they always have her describe each sweater in great detail.

• Love 1