Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Level Up

• Start Topic

Tyrone and Tandy head to the Loa dimension to stop the evil force threatening New Orleans. To finally put an end to it, they must come face to face with their own personal issues that have been holding them back.

Airing Thursday, May 30, 2019 - Season finale!

Tandy can make swords with her light too, I guess that's a level up as was her using Ty's teleportation as a portal. I also liked them in their costumes.

So Tandy's mom knows she's a super now but we get no reaction and Ty's knows that his mother murdered Connors. How did they arrest the senator guy? I don't remember them finding proof. It's also nice to know that Ty found drug dealers that keep their word. 

Are they going to LA, to meet up with the Runaways? Provided they get another season.  I hope we get more fighting next season. 

I'm excited to see where they're headed off to... NY and LA are two spots they've been in.. In the comics I think.. Plus LA keeps hope alive for a Runaways crossover.. Them holding hands was pretty big.. The two of them jump off the screen with just the way they look at each other... Especially if its just one looking while the other is staring off somewhere... The show and the actors have done a good job of putting two obviously attractive teens in front of each other and still didn't hit us over the head with them eventually pairing up.. Even if we all knew it was gonna happen

• Love 2

I didn't like Season one, and I think Season Two was even worse.

Here are a few gripes, Tyrone sees a guy selling 3 women and is happy because the gangs kept their word and didn't buy them. Poor girls, where is a superhero when you need one.

Roxxon Bee girl who designs oil pipelines and has a hobby studying bees and mice has a ?MRI? and she lets somebody talk the whole time she is taking the ?MRI?.

Brigid/Mayhem knows that Evita has to keep the candle from going out or they will lose Tandy and Tyrone forever, so she sets off a hand grenade in the room?

4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I didn't like Season one, and I think Season Two was even worse.

Here are a few gripes, Tyrone sees a guy selling 3 women and is happy because the gangs kept their word and didn't buy them. Poor girls, where is a superhero when you need one.

Roxxon Bee girl who designs oil pipelines and has a hobby studying bees and mice has a ?MRI? and she lets somebody talk the whole time she is taking the ?MRI?.

Brigid/Mayhem knows that Evita has to keep the candle from going out or they will lose Tandy and Tyrone forever, so she sets off a hand grenade in the room?

I can answer those for you... 

Tyrone said he cont be perfect.. He knows he's one guy and can't stop anything.. He was about to leave town and was just checking to see if what he spoke to with Solomon stuck.... 

I think Mina was awarded a grant to do a study on the effects of the energy she released... So grants mean money and equipment 

As for mayhem and the grenade... Well shes still mayhem

• Love 3
(edited)

The whole cast continues to weirdly have better chemistry with Bridget/Mayhem than their actual love interests.

I thought the fight sequences were really well edited together and Ty/Tandy's monologues about each other's strength highlighted their bond well. This finale was immensely disappointing to the shipper in me after multiple episodes of desperation to be reunited and high-stakes rescue missions and multiple ambiguous declarations of affection. The writers seem to be hedging and wishy-washy about turning Tandy/Ty romantic, which is annoying. And Ty's creepy graveyard stalking suggests we'll still be stuck with Evita in S3 if it happens. The fact that she spent the entire finale huddled in place over a candle while everyone else fought battles is a good metaphor for her relevance to the show.

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

And Ty's creepy graveyard stalking suggests we'll still be stuck with Evita in S3 if it happens. The fact that she spent the entire finale huddled in place over a candle while everyone else fought battles is a good metaphor for her relevance to the show.

You must have missed the way Evita was straddling Ty as she nailed down his hoodie. If that wasn't a sex metaphor, I don't know what is.

• Love 4

I would like it if they left New Orleans and never came back, tbh. Maybe they can hang out in New York now or something, being superheroes and teenage runaways like they were supposed to be.

I think the voodoo is inexplicable and unnecessary. Clearly they can jump into Ty's portal without any of the candle shit going on. I really hope this is the last time we see Evita.

The best part of the show is definitely the two of them- they have wonderful chemistry and a real connection and I hope they pursue the love story as well. I think the show knows this, but they need to work on their action scenes and do a little less vague time/space stuff.

2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I think the voodoo is inexplicable and unnecessary.

I thought the voodoo thing was kind of cool, I thought it was like the TARDIS in Doctor Who. The TARDIS doesn't always go where the Doctor wants it to, but it seems to go where he/she is needed most. Ty uses the voodoo thing to go to places he needs to solve problems, but he doesn't know what to expect when he gets there.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ICantDoThatDave said:

Any writer who has one of their characters say to another "You are the strongest person I know" should be banned from writing dialogue for life.

Only after every rat bastard who's ever written "I did it to protect you" gets banned 1st

• LOL 1

Well this is apparently an unpopular opinion but I like the voodoo aspect of the show. It's what distinguishes it from other superhero shows at the moment. Somewhat relatedly I like Evita and I enjoy her and Ty's dynamic. More importantly, the show hasn't sold me on Tandy/Ty as a couple or given me any indication that they will go there with their relationship. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ursula said:

Well this is apparently an unpopular opinion but I like the voodoo aspect of the show. It's what distinguishes it from other superhero shows at the moment. Somewhat relatedly I like Evita and I enjoy her and Ty's dynamic. More importantly, the show hasn't sold me on Tandy/Ty as a couple or given me any indication that they will go there with their relationship. 

I liked the voodoo stuff too... It was something diff and very New Orleans...  I liked Evita well enough as well.. What I really liked was how they never made her feel like just the girl he was with until eventually he chose Tandy.... They could had her around some more.. But that's the way it went down... I will say that if/when the show went there with the two leads other won't feel as cheap and obvious as it has for some other shows.. Bit its also something I could def buy... Those two really care deeply and you can see it when they rip into each other.. So the show has done a good job of showing a deep connection that.. Sometimes can lead to something more

• Love 3
(edited)

I enjoy the voodoo stuff as well, it makes this show more unique and really sets it in New Orleans for me, which is such a special place in the US with so many unique aspects to its culture and history. Using that uniqueness is a good thing for a superhero show to me. I also like Evita, and while I am all for Ty/Tandy, I like Evita as a friend/ally for them. 

Interesting season, a lot of it was confusing and strange, but the character work was strong as ever and the fights were well choreographed and used the powers of Ty and Tandy in unique ways. I also liked the use of music all throughout.

So, Runaways crossover next season?!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
On 5/31/2019 at 3:15 AM, UNOSEZ said:

I don't think the guy was selling the woman, I think he was looking for drugs.  The guy Ty was watching sold drugs to people controlling the women.  I think that's what that was all about.  Ty was handling the street drugs and Tandy was handling the captive girls.  They are the Divine Pairing and each take care of their particular animus.  The nexxus was the asshole Andre Deshaine.

On 5/30/2019 at 6:14 PM, Sakura12 said:

So Tandy's mom knows she's a super now but we get no reaction and Ty's knows that his mother murdered Connors. How did they arrest the senator guy? I don't remember them finding proof. It's also nice to know that Ty found drug dealers that keep their word. 

I think the Senator was arrested based on the testimony of Father Delgado, who recommitted himself to the service of his God and turned in the confession to murder and the subsequent coverup of Billy, by Connors via Ty's mom.

• Love 1

How did they arrest the senator guy? I don't remember them finding proof.

Adina had a folder of proof that she passed off to Father Delgado under seal of confessional. 

I wish the show hadn't made her kill Connors. I think it would have been more powerful if he'd had to stand earthly justice, particularly given Adina's driving fear was that the system would never work for her. Also, becoming a murderer seems like something that will traumatize and scar someone for life. 

I liked the voodoo stuff too... It was something diff and very New Orleans...  I liked Evita well enough as well.

Yeah, I loved the voudoun and Evita. It's so nice to see a show try to treat voudoun seriously and respectfully. I know some about it in an academic sense, but I'm not a practitioner. I'm curious to find something by a practitioner about how well the show did.

I thought Evita and Ty had great chemistry together, and I would have been happy with her as a recurring. But Tandy and Ty do have blistering chemistry, so I'm also fine with them becoming a couple.

In other thoughts, I'm so glad to see Tandy finally able to heal with her daggers and give hope. That was a great level up. I also love that the show embraced Mayhem and tempered her with Bridgit. The show has a really strong B-cast with Mina, Evita, and Mayhem. 

I like the hope/fear worlds, but I want to see Tandy and Ty have more control of/within them. 

• Love 3
(edited)
19 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I wish the show hadn't made her kill Connors. I think it would have been more powerful if he'd had to stand earthly justice, particularly given Adina's driving fear was that the system would never work for her. Also, becoming a murderer seems like something that will traumatize and scar someone for life. 

I can understand that position of not having Adina kill Connors, and I while I personally would have preferred he was brought back to meet the Loa and stay permently in the dark force, he may have killed Billy accidentally, but the cover-up was deliberate and he was fine with that. Didn't he also kill someone in that warehouse when Bridget and Ty tried to entrap Connors? By Connor's actions, one son was killed and another son was considered a criminal, armed and dangerous, which in New Orleans could have meant death on sight. It's hard NOT to want him dead. When he escaped the Dark Force, he could have gone to the police and confessed but chose not to.

Having thought some more about your comment, Zuleikha, I now think that you were concerned about the ramifications of Adina's choice to kill Connors and the the toll on her psyche and not on his death itself. My bad. I think the urge to make someone pay for the deliberate damage done to her family was a powerful motivation. Knowing that there was police corruption and a total disregard for the lives of her children combined with the strong possibility that Connors would be tried and acquitted as has become the norm. His death was the only way she knew of retaliation against a system that treats her and her family as immaterial and not worth the effort of seeing true justice done.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 1
On 6/5/2019 at 12:12 AM, Jacks-Son said:
On 5/31/2019 at 5:15 AM, UNOSEZ said:

I don't think the guy was selling the woman, I think he was looking for drugs.  The guy Ty was watching sold drugs to people controlling the women.  I think that's what that was all about.  Ty was handling the street drugs and Tandy was handling the captive girls.  They are the Divine Pairing and each take care of their particular animus

I agree that the guy was looking for drugs to control those girls, and that's why Ty was glad the gang refused to sell to him. 

But at what point did it imply that Tandy or anyone else actually did something to help the three girls he already had in his car?  Ty just smiles as the guy drives away with them, and then we see Tandy and Ty on a bus heading out of town.  Are we just supposed to assume they actually did something to help before leaving, even though they didn't show us any evidence of that at all?  All we saw Tandy doing was packing beforehand, and then they didn't mention anything about it later.

I don't think it was implied that Tandy and Tyrone would eliminate all crime in N.O. they realized that they were just two people and had limits. Nor did I imply that Tandy would halt all kidnapping to prostitutuon. It was just their intent to stop certain aspects of crimes that bothered them. Tyrone was determined to put a dent in the drug trade and Tandy made it her mission to free the kidnapped girls Dashaine used. She initially thought that wives and girlfriends who were abused at home could just walk out and leave until she finally came to the realization that it wasn't that simple. Some didn't have an option. 

Tyrone sees a guy selling 3 women and is happy because the gangs kept their word and didn't buy them. Poor girls, where is a superhero when you need one.

This is a good point. The way that scene was shot was pretty gross. It's one thing for Ty and Tandy to accept their limits and not try to prevent all crime in New Orleans. It's another to simply look away and not care when something horrific passes right under their nose.

She initially thought that wives and girlfriends who were abused at home could just walk out and leave until she finally came to the realization that it wasn't that simple. Some didn't have an option.

Of course, "some women are literally drugged, abducted, and drugged some more" is a non-explanation for why domestic abuse survivors don't leave immediately or leave and go back. Trafficking and domestic abuse are two separate issues (although domestic abuse can make a person more vulnerable to being trafficked).

16 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

Of course, "some women are literally drugged, abducted, and drugged some more" is a non-explanation for why domestic abuse survivors don't leave immediately or leave and go back.

I agree.  Drugs are not the sole factor keeping those women from leaving.  There's fear of their partner; fear of leaving and being on their own; fear from society; ostracized by family, friends; kids in the household.  I don't need to remind you that not too long ago, a woman, in fear for her life from her abusive ex placed a warning shot above his head to make him back down when he was advancing on her. That woman got 20 years for firing a weapon and endangering people.  Shit, the man had pain on his mind, she shot a warning shot and SHE gets sentenced to 20 years.  The MeToo movement has shown a multitude of women who share the trauma yet not everyone comes forward.  It's not always drugs that keeps them at home. We understand that, but Tandy was a bit naive when she advised her mom to just leave, that it's easy.

As for Ty not rescuing the women, I don't presume to know that he just looked away and didn't care.  It's pretty evident that Ty cares for his fellow man, he may have been just happy that he made a slight difference. He's not going to correct all wrongs, but look at what the detective said when he called the girls "prostitutes" and Bridget corrected him by saying they were "victims".  These girls already had to fight an uphill battle to be even seen as "missing".  The police weren't looking for them; Hell, I bet some police even took advantage of the situation by visiting the hotel.  I can't fault Ty for being thankful for small wins.

• Love 2