Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E22: The Quest for Peace

Trini
  • Start Topic

On 5/21/2019 at 12:40 AM, Jacks-Son said:

Since when can a Kryptonian collect solar energy  from grass, trees, and flowers?  That sort of flies in face of everything we knew about Kryptonians.

Since 1986, when Frank Miller let Superman do it in "The Dark Knight Returns".

It was silly then, too, but at least he had to drain an entire jungle to make it work.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:47 PM, sonyab said:

Wait what? He has a twin? I thought he was the real J'onn who died, and that's why our J'onn is using his identity. I'm so confused.

For a long time, J'onn used the identity of DEO Director Hank Henshaw after the latter's (presumed) death, and still uses Hank;s appearance.  Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

7 hours ago, ACW said:

Since 1986, when Frank Miller let Superman do it in "The Dark Knight Returns".

It was silly then, too, but at least he had to drain an entire jungle to make it work.

I did not know that, obviously.  Thanks for the explanation. 👍

Did I miss something or was that time Otis went behind Lex's back to save the boy Red Daughter befriended never brought up again? I felt sure it was going to be used to either reveal Otis wasn't completely loyal to Lex or to turn Red Daughter against Lex, but apparently not, since both are now dead.

• Love 2
On 5/19/2019 at 8:05 PM, Ubiquitous said:

Well, that was terribly incoherent... I guess it lived up to its title?

In no particular order:

• So, why was Lex Luthor's corpse was left to rot in that room?
  • Why is Ben Lockwood in jail again? Wasn't he pardoned?
  • Just as we predicted, Lex told Lena who Kara is, with the also predicted results.
  • Wouldn't it be easier to de-power those power cells (gawd knows how that was sppsd to work) and remove the people strapped in it than to make it overload and explode by contributing to it?
  • Why was Ben fighting Supergirl after discovering he had been used as a pawn by Lex against Supergirl?
  • Why did Superman move to Argo City?
  • Kasnia attacked California? What?
  • Kara's blog turned people against Lex Luthor? Why were they siding with him in the first place?
  • Hurray! The xenophobia went away as quickly, if not faster, than it arrived! Well, until the NEXT alien threat, next season...

Late to the party, but...

We don't necessarily know how long Lex was left in the room. Monitor could have shown up just after Lena appeared.

Ben committed a raft of new crimes in attacking our heroes, and his existence as a pawn of Luthor (presumably) came to light through Kara's story. His pardon was for previous crimes, and the president who gave it to him was outed as a Luthor pawn and IIRC was forced out of office, so he wasn't in a position to offer a new pardon.

Got me on the power cell deal. Seems like it would be fairly easy to shut the power cells down or destroy them, all things considered.

Luthor whipped up a Kasnian attack with Red Daughter and then backstabbed Kasnia to appear like a hero. And he had the President selling that narrative. If people thought that Lex defended the country against a Rogue Supergirl, they might forgive all the previous supervilliany.

• Love 1

Obviously he's THE villain, and it looks like he'll be resurrected(?) somehow, but having Lena murder Lex seems like a fairly dark turn for her. I think that might mess her up more than the Kara/Supergirl reveal (but that's up to the writers, of course). And yes, I know that she's been close to murdering others before, but the show never let her go all the way to keep her on the "good" side

---

I'm also wondering if Nia will be coming back as a regular next season. They didn't write her out, and there's clearly more they can do with the Brainy/Nia romance, but there are always cast changes, and they've completed her journey to becoming a hero.

• Love 2

Well... that was... something... I guess. At least, the Red Daughter was not killed off screen, although, that's not much considering this episode. I'm not changing my mind about this season being the worst. Everything was just disjointed this season:

1. Characters not having proper story-arcs, or, if they do have it, then those story-arcs are disjointed and unevenly spread throughout the whole season that you forget about them, and when they are shown, you go "Oh, yeah, this still happening". E.g., Alex wanting a baby story-line. And where did it went? Absolutely no where.

2. The whole bigger story of the season was pathetic. And not because the writers lacked quality for the story (well, yeah, that too), but because the people, which are being portrayed in this show, are bunch of brain dead monkeys, going from one minute "BURN THE ALIENS" to the next "Oh, right, maybe we were too harsh, because we read it on some CatCo blog".

3. Red Daughter, they might as well have ditched showing her during the end of Season Three, because that went nowhere, apart of her punching Kara a few hours into the future the other episode. And, sure, she sacrificed herself, because lo and behold, she finally understood that she is working for a bad-guy (when that bad-guy tried to kill her), but did someone really care? Was the character that well established throughout this season? I think not.

4. Well, of course, Lex was going to tell Lena that Kara is Supergirl before Kara tells Lena that. Did anyone had any doubts? I'm just not happy that the writers chose the obvious route. Well, I hope that they will not make Lena in to a villain now. I could get by her being grouchy and angry, and yelling at Kara for lying to her about... well... the obvious (considering that she did not have any issues of deducing that Reign and Sam is one and the same; while Reign wore a mask and had a voice-change. Kara on the other hand just lets her hair go for crying-out-loud) for half a season, and then kiss-and-make up, but I just know that they lack quality writing for that. So, of course, Lena will be one of the villains next season(s).

5. Jimmy's sister was only introduced towards the end of the season as a romantic interest for Alex. Gee, that went so well with Sawyer's character. I just can't wait to see zero story-arcs when these two are involved.

(edited)

Jimmy's sister was only introduced towards the end of the season as a romantic interest for Alex. Gee, that went so well with Sawyer's character. 

I don't get it. They lost the Maggie actress because she was reduced to just being Alex's love interest despite starting with potential. So they wait a long time to give Alex a new love interest and do the exact same thing. 

Obviously he's THE villain, and it looks like he'll be resurrected(?) somehow, but having Lena murder Lex is a fairly dark turn for her. I think that might mess her up more than the Kara/Supergirl reveal

I think Lena's killing of Lex is as much of a sign of her turning to the dark side as her reaction to finding out Kara's secret. Sure he will probably come back to life but its clear that Lena will be a darker, angrier character next year. I hope she doesn't become full on evil but I wouldn't be surprised if the endgame is to have Lena as Kara's final villain. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

Jimmy's sister was only introduced towards the end of the season as a romantic interest for Alex. Gee, that went so well with Sawyer's character. 

I don't get it. They lost the Maggie actress because she was reduced to just being Alex's love interest despite starting with potential. So they wait a long time to give Alex a new love interest and do the exact same thing. 

Maggie and Kelly are both love interests for Alex, but otherwise I don't think the stories are the same. One key difference with Kelly is that she has a connection to another regular character (James), so she can be part of plots that don't involve Alex and that romantic subplot. Plus, it was already announced that Kelly will be a regular next season.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think being James sister gives her that much more to do considering how the writers sometimes don't know what to do with him. I could be wrong but I would be surprised if she were well integrated into the show. 

Edited by Oreo2234
11 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

I don't think being James sister gives her that much more to do considering how the writers sometimes don't know what to do with him. I could be wrong but I would be surprised if she were well integrated into the show. 

IMO, she wont be. One of the flaws this show has is too many characters.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

She has already had a story with helping James deal with his PTSD and powers; so we'll see. (The only thing I recall Maggie doing outside of Alex was that subplot with her father.)

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:54 AM, Rushmoras said:

Well... that was... something... I guess. At least, the Red Daughter was not killed off screen, although, that's not much considering this episode.

That reminds me... am I the only one who finds the "meanwhile, in the past" narrative lazy and overused?

Red Daughter, they might as well have ditched showing her during the end of Season Three, because that went nowhere, apart of her punching Kara a few hours into the future the other episode.

Heh heh heh.

Jimmy's sister was only introduced towards the end of the season as a romantic interest for Alex.

Introduced clumsily as a romantic interest.

Did TPTB think giving Alex that terrible haircut was so we wouldn't forget she's a lesbian? I would think having to brush that long bang out of her face would interfere with her job.

• Love 1

That reminds me... am I the only one who finds the "meanwhile, in the past" narrative lazy and overused? 

Nope. I better like when someone starts from the past from the get go and then builds up to the present, it's not like anything ground-breaking happens to the character anyways. Reminds me of Absentia S02E06, when it started in the present, but a minute after, the viewers gets 'ONE DAY AGO' flash-back. Why not start from ONE DAY AGO in the first place? 😄

• Love 3
On 5/19/2019 at 6:36 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Kasnia is a land-locked country -- they clearly showed it on the map to be somewhere in the MIDDLE of Siberia -- so where did they get an aircraft carrier from ?

The US Military-Industrial Complex will sell to anyone with cash in hand and it's never bitten us in the ass before.

I think they are saying that Lena left Lex's corpse in that facility (wherever it was).

Lex hit her with some pretty heavy shit before he died and I'm sure she was a little distracted and some things may have been overlooked.

On 5/19/2019 at 9:05 PM, Ubiquitous said:

So, why was Lex Luthor's corpse was left to rot in that room?

Maybe they will do a horror movie ending where Lena comes back five minutes later with a gurney and Lex will be gone.

• LOL 1

Alex and Kelly are like watching paint dry.  I tend to think "Would I go to their dinner party if invited?"  That would be a big NO.  Maggie at least had a fun personality and could get Alex to relax and be playful.   Kelly is a nice person but as a couple they're so dull.

• Love 1
On 5/19/2019 at 9:36 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Kasnia is a land-locked country -- they clearly showed it on the map to be somewhere in the MIDDLE of Siberia -- so where did they get an aircraft carrier from ?

Since they're Russia-adjacent, that would be the only explanation that would make any kind of sense. BTW, the aircraft carrier (cgi of course) shown would be the Admiral Kuznetsov unless on Supergirl's Earth Russia just happened to have had an extra carrier or two available for sale.

Edited by AD35
  • Love 1

I thought the Superman IV movie was ok.

I'm glad the door is open for Ben Lockwood to come back.  I liked his character, and the actor.

Lex surviving the fall when his suit stopped working, and Supergirl threw him, was not believable to me.

I'm also disappointed that they introduced Lex in the first place.  This series, and universe, doesn't need Lex.  They can build other villains.

I enjoyed Ben Lockwood, more than Lex.

If they wanted to show a rare trait of Lena being manipulated and falling for someone's scheme, they could have done it in a different way, without involving Lex.