Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E12: Queens Everywhere

• Start Topic

Honestly they could have had a good storyline with Silky.  Maybe if they had given her real criticism, she would have improved her hair and makeup skills.  She did seem to improve her attitude the last few episodes as well when Michelle gave her harsh critiques. 

I saw Yuhua Hamasaki point out that she is wearing one of A'keria's wigs on the final runway on her youtube channel.  It does seem like she got a lot of help like Scarlett was saying.  And I'm pretty sure she didn't know all the lyrics to her own song or she couldn't lip sync them while dancing.

image.png.30c2cce344cf0467f37692e947450492.png

image.png.ce5d9d66d48f4cd77487b7808b360d5c.png

(edited)
On 5/17/2019 at 2:59 AM, Glade said:

I guess I'm leaning more towards Yvie for the win now, with Scarlet Envy as miss congeniality.  But perhaps the producers would prefer a Brooklyn win with Vanjie as Miss Congeniality to play up the relationship.

I think Nina is a lock for Miss Congeniality (with Suga as backup).  Scarlet is too honest for MC, and Vanjie, while super fun and quite nice, had that blow up with Yvie (although her apology was sincere.) I also think that Nina would appreciate the title more than Vangie.

On 5/17/2019 at 3:30 AM, Mayberry said:

You could see why Ru eliminated Nina last week- Ru was thinking ahead for this week's dance routine to his song. Silky fit that more than Nina. Which is a bummer for a queen like Nina, who has many talents but doesn't fit the mould of the show, especially as it heads towards the lip sync showdown of the finale. 

Exactly. 

On 5/17/2019 at 6:16 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was rolling my eyes when Silky was bitching about how Brooke Lynn gave herself Plastique last week because she was the easiest one to transform into her sister. As if Silky wants us to believe that if she had been the one assigning partners, she wouldn't have chosen whoever she thought would be the person who would help her win the challenge

Ditto.

I know Aquaria doesn't pad on top, but she doesn't pad on the bottom either, and has genuine Twiggy-ish proportions. How come Vangie was never criticized for not padding on the top to even out her proportions? It was especially obvious during this week's performance.  It probably also makes it easier to dance if you don't have inserts flopping about. And with all the makeup they have access to, can't she find a good tattoo cover-up like that which make-up artists must apply to actors? Then she wouldn't have had to dip herself in glitter a few times in an attempt to cover up her somewhat goofy-looking and very distracting chest tattoo. Kameron Michaels often, but not always, covered his in some manner.  If Vangie had any inkling that she wanted to be a drag queen,  that was a terribly distracting place to get a not-at-all feminine tattoo. 

I also thought it funny when Florida-raised Vangie was asked about his very New York accent and manner of delivery. And how he doesn't know his mother's age. It also sounds like he had a much easier time of it growing up than the other contestants, at least in his own home, because he somewhat filled his mother's desire for a daughter.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

Okay,  Ru specifically said that the queens did their raps in "one uninterrupted take." Assuming the segment wasn't edited for us later (and if it was, why?):

• A'keria; 35 seconds
  • Brooke: 35 seconds
  • Silky: 15 seconds
  • Vanjie: 35 seconds
  • Yvie: 23 seconds

Interesting.

Dusty Ray Bottoms was the guest on Yuhua's channel this week, and Dusty's aghast face when Silky flopped her legs open and showed her undies was everything. Dr. Reverend Untucked Silky Ganache.

• Love 5
On 5/16/2019 at 10:44 PM, KillahBee007 said:

It was time for Vanjie to leave BUT Silky’s flop with undergarments showing? Should’ve been enough to land her in the bottom. They have dinged people for much much less and the Silky edit is on. 

Not only did you see Silky's undergarments, but one of her boobs popped out during her dance and her costume was so poorly made you could see the lining of it rolling over as well.  That's one of the things Michelle has commented on, but, of course no mention this week because that wouldn't help prop Silky into the final four.

On 5/17/2019 at 12:52 AM, Barbara Please said:

Silky's performance was sloppy, but so were her  attempts at  being nice. Her fake apology to Yvie was purely for the cameras, as was her convo with Ru, and Michelle.  She wants the crown so she's playing nice. 

Plus Silky immediately minimized her critiques on the runway.  Other queens have gotten shit for not taking their critiques seriously and making appropriate adjustments, but Silky's response? "I may have minor issues, but . . ." No, your crotch was on display for the THIRD week in a row.  And that was just ONE problem.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:33 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Disappointed that Slovenly Silky is moving on to the finals.  Have her makeup skills always bee so horrible, or I am just noticing it?  On both her look from last week and this week, she has been caking on foundation on her lower face and jaw.  It looks like she just smeared the Anastasia stick foundation on that part without even considering blending.  I don't get her half-assed approach to this competition. 

Yes, yes they have been.  She can only do one face, her Oprah look and it also involves Sharpies.  I'm not entirely sure where the rest of the queens get their makeup, but it's likely not Staples.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:37 PM, Mayberry said:

Speaking of, I saw this video the other day of Silky at a show. Haha, the guy next to the stage reacting to Silky is everything/everyone:

There is a lot that Silky doesn't have control over when it comes to her size, but what I do not understand is the choice of outfits like this.  Wearing a jumpsuit like this makes her look like a cross between a Teletubbie and a doll with no clothes on. 

On 5/19/2019 at 1:48 AM, LeoLady said:

Why is it that every big queen always says they are representing the big girls. I knew Silky would pull that out, I was waiting for it.  Are the plus queens so insecure they feel they need to have a crowd behind them? Because none of them are representing big queens, big people or anyone else; they are there for themselves. Can you imagine if Brooke Lynn said she was representing all Canadian queens? Or Vangie all people who got 2nd chances? Or Yvie all weirdos? Or Akeria all non memorable queens? And if all the plus queens/LGBTQ/big people were to vote for a leader, it wouldn't be a half-assed queen who makes "fat and sloppy" truly go together. 

This is also especially strange to me with Silky, because she's come on the show with this platform like we haven't seen Latrice Royale, along with several other bigger queens.  Silky's whole thing is that she's a bigger queen with a big personality and America is going to love her because we haven't seen anything like her.  Except . . .  yes, we have.  And they were better and more likable. 

19 hours ago, Ruby Gillis said:

Honestly they could have had a good storyline with Silky.  Maybe if they had given her real criticism, she would have improved her hair and makeup skills.  She did seem to improve her attitude the last few episodes as well when Michelle gave her harsh critiques. 

I saw Yuhua Hamasaki point out that she is wearing one of A'keria's wigs on the final runway on her youtube channel.  It does seem like she got a lot of help like Scarlett was saying.  And I'm pretty sure she didn't know all the lyrics to her own song or she couldn't lip sync them while dancing.

image.png.30c2cce344cf0467f37692e947450492.png

image.png.ce5d9d66d48f4cd77487b7808b360d5c.png

I really hope that Scarlett spills more details and we get more info on all the help that Silky has gotten.

17 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I know Aquaria doesn't pad on top, but she doesn't pad on the bottom either, and has genuine Twiggy-ish proportions. How come Vangie was never criticized for not padding on the top to even out her proportions? It was especially obvious during this week's performance.  It probably also makes it easier to dance if you don't have inserts flopping about. And with all the makeup they have access to, can't she find a good tattoo cover-up like that which make-up artists must apply to actors? Then she wouldn't have had to dip herself in glitter a few times in an attempt to cover up her somewhat goofy-looking and very distracting chest tattoo. Kameron Michaels often, but not always, covered his in some manner.  If Vangie had any inkling that she wanted to be a drag queen,  that was a terribly distracting place to get a not-at-all feminine tattoo. 

I want to say that Vangie was talked to about silhouette at some point.  Maybe not specifically about padding, though.  She did cover the tattoo with makeup for the last challenge, which surprised me as I was tired of seeing her just toss some glitter over it.  

• Love 3

Michelle criticized Vanjie during the facekini challenge for her ill-fitting stirrup pants and not wearing a breastplate, but that was more in keeping with her "proportinizing" hobbyhorse.

I don't know any drag performers and therefore speak from ignorance, but I don't fully understand the flat-chested look. The queens go to the trouble of a full face of makeup, an uncomfortable tuck, feminine clothes, huge wigs, high heeled shoes, corsets, padded hips, thighs, or butts ... but draw the line at breasts? And then wear very low cut tops that show off their bony sternums, none of which is ever mentioned during judging.

Is it supposed to be androgynous? Queens like Raja and Ongina embody that, but I don't understand it on Vanjie or even Aquaria, tbh.

• Love 7

Did they open up the Miss Congeniality voting to the public like usual, or did they abandon the public voting after last year's fiasco with the hacking that led to The Vixen leading the poll?

If it was open to the public (rather than having the queens vote on it like last season), then I'm guessing that Vanjie has no shot at Miss Congeniality, because her elimination was aired after they filmed the finale.

3 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Did they open up the Miss Congeniality voting to the public like usual, or did they abandon the public voting after last year's fiasco with the hacking that led to The Vixen leading the poll?

If it was open to the public (rather than having the queens vote on it like last season), then I'm guessing that Vanjie has no shot at Miss Congeniality, because her elimination was aired after they filmed the finale.

MC title has already been attributed, and voted by all the queens 🙂 The finale was filmed last week. I won't spoil anything, but it's easy to find it on the web, youtube or reddit 🙂

13 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

MC title has already been attributed, and voted by all the queens 🙂 The finale was filmed last week. I won't spoil anything, but it's easy to find it on the web, youtube or reddit 🙂

So it was voted on by the queens again? I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I've been doing my best to avoid the spoilers about who won Miss Congeniality (it's all over Instagram), but I don't know if I'll be successful.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, 2727 said:

Michelle criticized Vanjie during the facekini challenge for her ill-fitting stirrup pants and not wearing a breastplate, but that was more in keeping with her "proportinizing" hobbyhorse.

I don't know any drag performers and therefore speak from ignorance, but I don't fully understand the flat-chested look. The queens go to the trouble of a full face of makeup, an uncomfortable tuck, feminine clothes, huge wigs, high heeled shoes, corsets, padded hips, thighs, or butts ... but draw the line at breasts? And then wear very low cut tops that show off their bony sternums, none of which is ever mentioned during judging.

Is it supposed to be androgynous? Queens like Raja and Ongina embody that, but I don't understand it on Vanjie or even Aquaria, tbh.

I think that each individual queen decides on how curvy they want to present based on what type of drag they do.  Fashion queens like Aquaria would not pad as much as others because they are emulating models who tend to have fewer curves.  If you look at most runway models, they have small breasts and narrow hips.  Large breasts would distract from the clothes and make them lay "incorrectly."  Showing off bony sternums sums up a lot of haute couture in the last few years.  

The more theatrical queens like Nina West, Ben De La Creme, etc would change their bustlines based on what character they are portraying in their act.  

• Love 5
On 5/17/2019 at 10:37 PM, Mayberry said:

I'm sure Ru and co. look at who has had a massive response from the audience, good or bad. That would certainly help in choosing the "right" winner, or not choosing someone who the public dislikes, especially as the show has gotten more mainstream/commercial. Ru seems active on social media/ Twitter. 

Speaking of, I saw this video the other day of Silky at a show. Haha, the guy next to the stage reacting to Silky is everything/everyone:

That was at Roscoe's in Chicago... same place that Soju had her drunken breakdown in... last week?

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I think that each individual queen decides on how curvy they want to present based on what type of drag they do.  Fashion queens like Aquaria would not pad as much as others because they are emulating models who tend to have fewer curves.  If you look at most runway models, they have small breasts and narrow hips.  Large breasts would distract from the clothes and make them lay "incorrectly."  Showing off bony sternums sums up a lot of haute couture in the last few years.  

The more theatrical queens like Nina West, Ben De La Creme, etc would change their bustlines based on what character they are portraying in their act.  

I agree, but Vangie isn't a fashion queen.  It seems more like being lazy than going for a specific look, even though I do like Vangie.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Vangie isn't a fashion queen. It seems more like being lazy than going for a specific look, even though I do like Vangie.

Now that you mention it, I couldn't tell you what style of drag she favors. Is showgirl a thing? Headpiece drag? Borderline pageant but not really?

I adore her and would love to see her perform or go to one of her meet and greets, but now I'm wondering if the lack of focus is partly what held her back a bit on the show; i.e., she doesn't fully know who she is as a queen yet.

• Love 4
(edited)

I generally enjoy Vanjie on the show, but I agreed with the judges about her performance.  She was technically doing the moves correctly but no...oomph.  She had kind of a pained expression at times.  And she was barely lip syncing.

Ugh, Silky.  Shut up.  Brook did not "shade" you by giving you Soju as a partner.  She is the messiest queen to ever make it this far.  

What were those marks under Brook's arms in the ballerina getup?  Pit stains?

Yvie looked amazing on the runway-- third eye and all!  It did kind of freak me out how the eye kept winking during her monologue to her child self, though. 

ETA:

I always forget about Akeria, and I thought she was again forgettable in this episode.  Sigh.  (How truly admirable that she's raising her nephew though!)

Edited by ladle
  • Love 1
On 5/20/2019 at 9:46 AM, 2727 said:

Aquaria was going for androgynous in many of her looks and talked about it on season 10.  I tend to agree with about breasts and drag queens.