Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18 Phone Free Day

American Housewife

Phone Free Day (Season 3 | Episode 18)

8:00PM EST Tuesday | ABC

Katie makes a pact with the girls that she and Taylor can go one day without using their phones in order to avoid buying Anna-Kat a cellphone. Meanwhile, disappointed with Greg's advice, Oliver seeks the guidance of an old friend.

Airdate: April 16, 2019

At first I thought this was going to be a typical Katie "bad attitude" episode, but it turned into a delight with an appearance from Spencer and a valuable lesson for the kids.  I wish they never killed Spencer off.  After a string of disappointing episodes, this one felt back on track with previous seasons.

My only nitpick was the cake shop owner.  Who would insist on ID in a small shop like that?  I know, it's a TV show.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

My only nitpick was the cake shop owner.  Who would insist on ID in a small shop like that?  I know, it's a TV show.

Heck, They don't even ask for ID when I pick up a cake from Target or the grocery store. If you can describe the cake you are looking for you are probably the orderer of said cake. 

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

At first I thought this was going to be a typical Katie "bad attitude" episode, but it turned into a delight with an appearance from Spencer and a valuable lesson for the kids.  I wish they never killed Spencer off.  After a string of disappointing episodes, this one felt back on track with previous seasons.

I'm assuming it's because the cake was ordered and paid for online... so the owner's policy was for ID to confirm she's giving it to the person who paid for it. 

I really enjoyed this episode.  It was very funny and I liked how the kids' issues were resolved.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 2

I think the format of this show is getting stale. It begins with the issue of the week, then cut to Katie at the Bistro (or wherever that is) complaining to Doris and Angela about it. And that's usually the one and only scene Doris and Angela get each week. Then hijinks ensue and it ends up warm and fuzzy.

• Love 1

Although Anna-Kat didn't really want the phone to be able to use it, if dopey Taylor had just put a password or fingerprint on it, then Anna-Kat wouldn't have been able to mess with her Instagram. Perhaps Katie and Greg don't allow the kids to use passwords so that they can spot check their phones, but it make more sense for them to just have the passwords too, so that lost phones couldn't be messed with.

Can someone even like their own Instagram post? Doesn't seem as though there would be a any point.

On 4/17/2019 at 10:09 AM, Yeah No said:

but it turned into a delight with an appearance from Spencer and a valuable lesson for the kids.  I wish they never killed Spencer off

Didn't Spencer go to jail for insider trading? You would think that would have come up in the tapes or in Oliver's realization that his father was protecting him from making the same mistakes as Spencer despite his fond memories of him.

Hey, Taylor, do you know who doesn't think it's gross to use a clock/wear a watch?  Cooper!

Oliver has really been done a disservice by living in Westport. Despite his "lower class" life, he lives in a 4 bedroom house. In almost any other sitcom, 2 of the kids would be sharing, or one would have moved himself into the basement.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4

Yes, I'm really sick of Oliver's attitude about being "poor." His parents should make him do volunteer work to see what a cushy life he has. A lot of people can only dream of the life the Ottos have. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Yes, I'm really sick of Oliver's attitude about being "poor." His parents should make him do volunteer work to see what a cushy life he has. A lot of people can only dream of the life the Ottos have. 

Oh it's grown so, so old. Then he goes about trying to piss off his parents with very stupid things. This also proved that Spencer really didn't leave anything to the Ottos, but advice. I think that should have also been a wake up for Oliver that dying rich, doesn't really get you anywhere, you are still dead and the only people who really remember you are the ones who cared about you. Everyone else, just moves on. Too bad all the Mean House Wives of the show don't get that. Like said above, it's gotten stale. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Can as someone even like their own Instagram post? Doesn't seem as though there would be a any point.

You can like your own Instagram posts.  I had a 10 year old living with me for awhile who would play on my phone and while looking through my Instagram would like all of my posts. She said that how would other people know I liked what I posted. (My logic of "because I posted it so obviously I liked it, was thrown out.)

• Love 4

Two rude questions. Do none of the kids in Westport participate in school sports? And why did the show runners make Daniel take ballet lessons, which he reportedly turned out to be good at, and then rarely have Oliver actually dance?

As for liking your own posts, Yahoo allows that on several of its apps. You can give the appearance that at least somebody out there agrees with you.

I was married to a Katie for ten short years, a perpetual and much needed thorn in thr side of our community, with two teenagers who produced no end of drama. Life on the edge. Reality can't touch it. But "Housewife" comes close.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Two rude questions. Do none of the kids in Westport participate in school sports? And why did the show runners make Daniel take ballet lessons, which he reportedly turned out to be good at, and then rarely have Oliver actually dance?

As for liking your own posts, Yahoo allows that on several of its apps. You can give the appearance that at least somebody out there agrees with you.

I was married to a Katie for ten short years, a perpetual and much needed thorn in thr side of our community, with two teenagers who produced no end of drama. Life on the edge. Reality can't touch it. But "Housewife" comes close.

They have had Taylor talk about Volley Ball, including last season where she spilled her frap on her uniform and then she hid it so Katie wouldn't mad at her. Then turned around to get pissed because she couldn't find it for her game. 

I don't like when they make any of the characters stupid dumb. I mean here Taylor can't put a lock code on her iPhone or the fact that TONS of people like their own posts, especially on Instagram.

With Oliver, they fell back on: "My family sucks because we are poor and rich is the great!" Oh just stop! Oliver has been beaten over the head that rich does not = happy life. Plus, apparently after Oliver's girlfriend got a scholarship for dancing, he just decided to drop out of dance since: "I'm not getting out of this stupid town and make money!" 

I don't get why the writes keep going back to those story lines because the well is dry there. Same with the Mean House Wives trying to sabotage Katie's life. Comes to a point where they be in jail and their "rich husbands" would be divorcing them, especially when they admit their husbands rarely sleep with them. 

• Love 1

I usually like this show, but this episode didn't work for me. Several problems, such as, if Taylor has the car keys, what good is it for Katie to pick up the cake if she has no way to get it to event?  No phone, so she can't even call Uber.

• Love 2
On 4/17/2019 at 3:43 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Although Anna-Kat didn't really want the phone to be able to use it, if dopey Taylor had just put a password or fingerprint on it, then Anna-Kat wouldn't have been able to mess with her Instagram. Perhaps Katie and Greg don't allow the kids to use passwords so that they can spot check their phones, but it make more sense for them to just have the passwords too, so that lost phones couldn't be messed with.

Can someone even like their own Instagram post? Doesn't seem as though there would be a any point.

Didn't Spencer go to jail for insider trading? You would think that would have come up in the tapes or in Oliver's realization that his father was protecting him from making the same mistakes as Spencer despite his fond memories of him.

Hey, Taylor, do you know who doesn't think it's gross to use a clock/wear a watch?  Cooper!

Oliver has really been done a disservice by living in Westport. Despite his "lower class" life, he lives in a 4 bedroom house. In almost any other sitcom, 2 of the kids would be sharing, or one would have moved himself into the basement.

Surprisingly they explained how they could afford a home like that. they rent and the landlord is giving them a break on the $$$. But shouldn't Greg be getting a decent salary anyway? It is odd that a college professor  does not own his own home.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

Surprisingly they explained how they could afford a home like that. they rent and the landlord is giving them a break on the $$$. But shouldn't Greg be getting a decent salary anyway? It is odd that a college professor  does not own his own home.

Right and that was a major story line in season 1. Especially after moron son thought they were hiding more money they had. Plus, most of season 2 was Greg getting his book published and Spencer accidentally bought all his copies that got him to be a full tenure professor. But then they dumped the super stalker/idiot graduate assistant on Greg and then put him in a former utility closet. I have yet to see a comedy treat people who are tenure professors that they actually you know, MAKE money. But they think it's funny, Big Bang did it for years. People can have decent salaries and still not make great financial decisions, but on AHW, they act like Greg works at McDonalds. 

• Love 2

I think the issue is that Westport is supposed to be super-wealthy, not decently middle class. Tenured professors do make decent money, but it's not like they're making aristocrat money.

But then, since Katie hates Westport, and they've totally abandoned the conceit that they moved there for the schools that have a fabulous teacher to help Anna Kat with her "issues", it becomes hard to remember why they're living there in the first place, instead of somewhere more affordable.

• Love 7