Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: In the Pines

Wraparound sunglasses are not a good look for Branch.

Trey's mom was kind of a hoot.

Billy Riggins!

Wouldn't a DNA test identify the nonhuman elements? I understand how ashes don't necessarily indicate someone is dead, but the remains weren't entirely human.

• Love 1
(edited)

Another good case of the week. I knew that Trey was not guilty, but it took me a while to figure out that it was the husband.

So Vic's stalker is back. She seems very calm about his return. I would think that she would be more freaked out  It is always good to see Lee Tergeson who will always be my beloved Beecher from Oz. 

I am glad that Sean is insightful enough recognize that Walt and Vic are starting that dance so it about time for he and Vic to part ways. 

It didn't take long for Branch to call in chip with Henry. I am glad that he is right about David Ridges and that Walt believes him, but I could not believe that he put his friend in danger by taking him on that stakeout and abducting that guy.

Love blood thirsty Ruby. Nice to see Ferg doing some police work.

The preview looks damn good. Great to have Lucian back.

Edited by SimoneS

Is Ruby married?  Because she's way more age-appropriate for Walt than Vic is.

Do they not have Search-and-Rescue there?  When Walt cuffed the girl to his back to bring her back up, we were shouting No! She could have a spinal cord injury!  But of course, it's all about being a he-man hero.  Loved the Walt/Branch parallels at the beginning of the episode.  Self-harm such a guy thing on this show.

• Love 4
(edited)

Speaking of sociopaths in this episode (hey, the characters used the label for Wolverine kid and Vic's stalker, I didn't) that was one of the words that crossed my mind when Branch cut himself and drizzled a lot of blood on the poor limp dead bunny and pulled some of his hair to add to the ritual mix. I'm glad it turned out to just be reconstructing evidence for crime solving purposes. He's just not the spiritual type, so I figured he was possessed or psycho. I mean, shades of Fatal Attraction bunny boiling! I wonder if Vic's ex-lover will do that next.

And speaking of the stalking ex: What exactly is the point of his sending the picture to her husband?

Is Ruby married?  Because she's way more age-appropriate for Walt than Vic is.

That was my thought too. What's the Vic/Walt age gap in the books? Edited by shapeshifter

Ha, OF COURSE Billy Riggins inadvertently ended up driving the getaway car!

The neverending slumber party at the sheriff's office cracked me up.

The Wolverine kid was an ass. No wonder no one liked him. Totally refusing to take any responsibility because he "only" snuck over to that girl's tent and started whispering her name in a creepy villain voice - what a great guy!

Loved Ruby telling to hurt the guy who killed Walt's wife. Do not mess with Matt Saracen's grandma!

• Love 1

Thanks, Toaster Strudel.

To stir up trouble between Vic and Sean...and it worked.

They were having trouble before this, too. This is one of my least favorite arcs, and it being dribbled out here and there isn't helping. Vic needs to either commit to her marriage or get out of it—her inertia is boring to watch.

You'd think Vic's dalliance with Beecher (sorry, forget his name here) would have taught Vic a lesson about messing around with co-workers, but I guess Walt is just that manly and irresistible that she's willing to do it again. Oh, Vic.

Vic clearly has a "type," and her husband ain't it.  She likes older, forceful, manly-man types, apparently.  Which begs the question: how did she and Sean end up together in the first place?  She seems completely disinterested in him and he seems perpetually ticked off at her.  Their marriage has been an unhappy mess since the show began.  

• Love 2
(edited)
how did she and Sean end up together in the first place?

When Vic was telling Walt about her affair, it sounded to me as if she married Sean to get away from [beecher]. So it wasn't exactly a love match to begin with, at least on her part.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

They were having trouble before this, too. This is one of my least favorite arcs, and it being dribbled out here and there isn't helping. Vic needs to either commit to her marriage or get out of it—her inertia is boring to watch.

I am the opposite. I have really enjoyed how the writers have carefully presented Vic's ambivalence about Sean and their marriage. I think that the writers have found a nice balance between the work and personal lives of all the characters which too many tv shows lack. Since there is a whole thread on Vic, I will just say that I find her ambivalence about Sean very interesting to watch. It feels realistic. I do think this story would be improved if Vic had a confidant, probably Ruby.

When Vic was sitting on the sofa with Sean and they were discussing the photo, Vic made some comment about "with Walt and I," and I cringed.  Not only is she annoying, she's dumb, too.  I know it's a nitpick, but I hate it when actors use bad grammar and they're serious about it.  I hope Sean leaves her and goes to Australia.  He deserves better.

I loved more Ruby and Ferg this week.  Not sure about Ruby's age, but she looks just a bit older than Walt, and more grandmotherly.  I know he's old enough to be a grandpa, but I see them more as close friends and co-workers than a possible love match.  I'm annoyed that the writers seem to have forgotten about Lizzie, unless I missed something.  I guess they want us to assume the relationship is over, which would come as no surprise to me, but they needed to reference what happened to her.

• Love 2
(edited)
I think that the writers have found a nice balance between the work and personal lives of all the characters

I agree the balance is pretty good; I just don't find Vic's marriage problems interesting.

Not sure about Ruby's age, but she looks just a bit older than Walt, and more grandmotherly.

Don't let that kindly facade fool you: Ruby can cut a bitch, you just know it.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

He seems to go for younger-but-still-age-appropriate women. I also think he might be too taciturn for Ruby. She seems like the kind of woman who wants more than a few grunts across the breakfast table.

When Vic was sitting on the sofa with Sean and they were discussing the photo, Vic made some comment about "with Walt and I," and I cringed. Not only is she annoying, she's dumb, too.

Oh, thank goodness it wasn't just me. I rolled my eyes when she said "with Walt and I." It happens way too often on tv these days and it drives me insane. Every once in a while, I will give the writers the benefit of the doubt that they deliberately chose to have a character use incorrect grammar to subtly show their ignorance but 99% of the time I get annoyed and think dude, you get paid to write but you don't even know one of the most basic grammar rules about object pronouns!

• Love 2

Oh, thank goodness it wasn't just me. I rolled my eyes when she said "with Walt and I." It happens way too often on tv these days and it drives me insane. Every once in a while, I will give the writers the benefit of the doubt that they deliberately chose to have a character use incorrect grammar to subtly show their ignorance but 99% of the time I get annoyed and think dude, you get paid to write but you don't even know one of the most basic grammar rules about object pronouns!

It took me out of the scene momentarily too, but I never assume that particular grammar error is in the script. Couldn't it be the actor? And, if it is the actor, would it be accidental or on purpose? Regardless, it is done so frequently now, including by news reporters, that I suspect in 100 years it will be considered correct grammar.

There was something about the close shot of Ruby that made me think: IRL, she and Walt would probably get married.

I know there are a few tv shows/movie sets and writers/directors who allow the actors to improvise but for the most part, I assume that the actors are reciting lines from the script (rather than making grammar changes). I might just have an idealized concept of the way actors are supposed to stick to the script and not make any changes without permission though. I just remember reading so many stories about old Hollywood where actors were screamed at by the directors for making any changes but I guess that's probably changed in the last 50-100 years or so!

(edited)

He seems to go for younger-but-still-age-appropriate women.

Vic maneuvered a reluctant Walt into that relationship with Lizzie so it is very possible that she was not his type and left to his own devices, he might have picked a completely different woman. I could never see him with Ruby though. They seem to be only very good friends.

Edited by SimoneS
(edited)
I suspect in 100 years it will be considered correct grammar.

NEVER. It's a question of direct object vs. indirect object. Gah. This mistake also drives me insane, especially because it's so easy to check: Take away the other person and see if "I" or "me" is the proper choice. There you go; pronoun resolved.

Vic maneuvered a reluctant Walt into that relationship with Lizzie so it is very possible that she was not his type and left to his own devices, he might have picked a completely woman.

True. But I think Walt's reluctance had more to do where he was emotionally—not really ready to get involved with anyone; not totally finished mourning his wife—than Lizzie not being his type. Vic might have maneuvered him into that relationship, but no one forced him to keep seeing Lizzie.

At any rate, I think Walt would want to be with a woman of substance, and Vic seems a little lacking, IMO.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

It's not that I didn't appreciate Ruby's rant, but neither did it move me in any way.  I've come to the conclusion that the reason Walt's story leaves me cold is that we never knew Martha, his wife.  I wish we had some flashbacks to her, Walt and Cady together.  Everything we learn about her has been from the other characters.  That's not a bad thing and other shows have done it well but, for some reason, I just can't bring myself to feel that much about Martha.  Yet this main story has been going on for three seasons now and I can't get myself to care about it. 

Still, this was a good episode.  Very well written and paced.  It is a relief that all the characters now know about Walt's wife murder.  It has moved the storyline along in a huge way.  I wish they had done that earlier.

I liked the scene with Branch and Henry.  Just a llittle moment between two people who are having a rough month.

I personally don't feel that Branch is losing it.  The previews make it seem that way, but then you realize everything he's doing is very calculated.  Not that he isn't on edge, but I think mainly he wants to find out who shot him.  Of course, I could be proven wrong with the kidnapping.

Vic - whatever.

• Love 1
I wish we had some flashbacks to her, Walt and Cady together.

Never thought about it before but that makes so much sense.  We need to fall in love with Martha like we did with Trudy by use of flashbacks on Monk.

• Love 1

I think the writers know they have a problem if they "show" Martha.  Would she be age appropriate?  (Probably should/would be.)  Or would she be younger and sassier? (Like Lizzie . . . or Vic.  It's interesting to me that the two "other" women in his life are so . . . similar.  Blonde, a little flighty.  A little young.)  If she turns out to be age appropriate (like Ruby) would that turn off viewers who want to see Walt date?  It's interesting, but in the books, Walt is older than on TV.  It's probably a good thing that the writers didn't adopt his age from the books.  Not only because of women, but all the derring-do stuff he does.

I'm not sure what we learned from the DNA test that Branch had done.  Can someone fill me in (other than that Walt thinks David Branch (?) is dead, dead, dead)? (Thanks)

Wouldn't Branch's dad have caught a $100,000 check coming through the account?  I guess there's not much he can do about it at this point.  But I sure hope we hear something about it later because I happen to think it's significant to at least warrant a mention.  And did Branch only pay Henry's bail so Henry would be "beholding?"  I was thinking we were seeing a "better" Branch, but in some ways he seems as manipulative as he always was.  (Yes, I know he was shot.)

• Love 1
(edited)
I'm not sure what we learned from the DNA test that Branch had done.  Can someone fill me in (other than that Walt thinks David Branch (?) is dead, dead, dead)? (Thanks)

Branch made a mix of ashes that included his blood and had it tested, which proved they could find his DNA in the mixture but didn't prove he was dead. So Branch concluded that something similar happened with David. Also, the nurse (or whatever he is) at the reservation clinic told Branch that David gave blood regularly and had been in very recently, so that was another reason Branch thought David was still alive. Walt is coming around to that point of view.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1
(edited)

True. But I think Walt's reluctance had more to do where he was emotionally—not really ready to get involved with anyone; not totally finished mourning his wife—than Lizzie not being his type. Vic might have maneuvered him into that relationship, but no one forced him to keep seeing Lizzie.

At any rate, I think Walt would want to be with a woman of substance, and Vic seems a little lacking, IMO.

Nothing about Walt's relationship with Lizzie struck me as anything more than convenience. From his attitude towards her, breaking up with her was probably more trouble than it was worth. 

I like Walt, but other than being the male lead, nothing about him strikes me as particularly deep or substantive. I don't know where this notion that he wants a women of substance comes from. Was Lizzie supposed to be one? She seemed nice, but nothing her about stuck me as outstanding. From the little we know, Walt's wife just seemed like an ordinary loving woman. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

On the show, they seem to be of the mind that Walt and his wife had a perfect relationship.  I remember one time Walt was interviewing a woman, and her husband was suspected of putting a contract on her.  She looked at Walt and trying to brush it off, said something like, "You've been married, Sheriff.  You know the type of problems married folks have."  Walt said, In his typical man-of-few-words way, "No, I don't."

I also understand that when a person loses their spouse they can tend to bend over backwards only remember the good and conveniently forgetting the bad.

I haven't read the books, but have started back on them.  In one, it mentioned an argument Walt and his wife had gotten into.  (But that's the book.  And that's a "parallel" universe.)

I thought Lizzy was not at all Walt's type.  She was (or was portrayed) as being a little bit of a ditz.  Vic seems smarter, but she's gotten some bad writing thrown her way.  And I think that's because the writers don't know what to do with her.

I didn't think Lizzie was a ditz as much as I thought she was trying too hard with Walt.  Also, I thought she was a little older than Vic, and more age-appropriate for Walt.

• Love 1

I don't think Branch put up Henry's bail just so he could have Henry owing him.  I believe he did it as a favor to Cady.  Then when the call came in that Henry was about to go beyond his approved jurisdiction, someone had to pick him up and and it looked like everyone else was busy.  I saw it as Branch doing his job, but he wasn't above using a little blackmail to get some information.  He is a complex character.  I don't think he's manipulative or bad.  Walt, on the other hand, is always right, always good, always strong.

I thought that scene with him rescuing the woman who fell off the cliff kind of crazy.  In real life, could Ferg and Vic pull a rope hard enough to get both of them up the cliff?  Would the rope be strong enough?  The whole thing seemed impossible to me.  

• Love 3

The cliff rescue made me fear for the young woman.  Walt made no attempt to check if her neck was stabilized or anything.  If her spine was damaged by the fall, the climb could have been fatal.  How did she avoid serious trauma from a fall impact from that height?  And Wolverine should be charged with harassment for terrifying her in the first place.  Jerk.

Speaking of jerks: Branch, what did that cute little bunny ever do to you?  I know the species are a pest in many areas, but that was a particularly adorable one.  Unless it shot first, Branch lost points with me. 

I was happy to see Sean decide he deserves more than a woman who treats him like an inconvenience.  Vic's marriage does seem to be a security blanket against her former lover so I do wonder if she ever loved Sean or if he was just a safe way out of a scarier relationship?

• Love 1

It doesn't bug me that we don't know the wife, she is just the reason to make Walt suffer, as was Henry's frame up. Now that Walt has clued in to that he has a direction and more reason not to get involved with Vic or anyone. It could (and I believe it does) tie into his daughter's near murder and Branch's shooting.  Those things go back to the Res and Nighthorse and Strand. Speculation on my part, not meant as spoilers as I haven't read the books.

(edited)

A couple of people have commented on the "cliff rescue."

Yeah, I, too, thought it was over the top. (Forgive the pun.)

A couple of things could have made it easier to deal with, and it would have been just a few extra lines of dialogue.

1) When they spotted the girl, someone should have said something like, "It'll take to long for us to drive around the mesa to get to her."  Thus, leading to Walt rappelling down.

2) Once down there, Walt should have said something like, "She seems okay to move."  (I've always gotten the sense, maybe mistakenly, that Walt's had some medical training, if nothing more than what you get when you participate in those outdoor leadership schools.)  True, that wouldn't have been enough in a real-life situation, but at least it's something.

3) Once they got to the top, they should have have had Vic say, out of breathe, "Man, I know someone who needs to lose some weight."

I think sometimes as writer it's best to have your characters at least nod their heads to the impossibility to what they're doing.  (Sort of: "Okay, we get that this is out of the norm, but this is TV, so go with us on it.")

Edited by JackONeill
(edited)

A couple of people have commented on the "cliff rescue."

Yeah, I, too, thought it was over the top. (Forgive the pun.)

A couple of things could have made it easier to deal with, and it would have been just a few extra lines of dialogue.

1) When they spotted the girl, someone should have said something like, "It'll take to long for us to drive around the mesa to get to her." Thus, leading to Walt rappelling down.

2) Once down there, Walt should have said something like, "She seems okay to move." (I've always gotten the sense, maybe mistakenly, that Walt's had some medical training, if nothing more than what you get when you participate in those outdoor leadership schools.) True, that wouldn't have been enough in a real-life situation, but at least it's something.

3) Once they got to the top, they should have have had Vic say, out of breathe, "Man, I know someone who needs to lose some weight."

I think sometimes as writer it's best to have your characters at least nod their heads to the impossibility to what they're doing. (Sort of: "Okay, we get that this is out of the norm, but this is TV, so go with us on it.")

Love the pun!

Yes, JackONeill, I've never forgotten when, in the 200th episode of Stargate SG1, "Martin Lloyd (Willie Garson), an extraterrestrial turned Hollywood writer" called that writing technique, "Hanging a lantern on it."

I wonder why the writers didn't include lines like you suggested above. If they were cut for time, did they assume the audience would forgive them?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
(edited)

Recently I re-watched Twin Peaks. They managed to do a bunch of episodes without yet another murder to solve.

I live in Glendale, California (pop 191,000). Number of murders in 2010: Zero. Number of murders in 2014: Zero.

Absaroka County must have a murder rate of 50 per year in a population of a few thousand. National media should be out there for it being the murder capital of the northwest.

Is it the mountain air? Grinding poverty.... what? Have they never heard of just insulting each other or filing for divorces?

I know, I know... it's a murder mystery show, but still...

Edited by QuiGonJ
  • Love 1

When Sean admitted that he didn't think Vic was involved with Walt, I cheered. I think he was spot-on about what was really going on, which was that Vic was enjoying the part of her life that didn't include Sean more than she did being with him. So now what should he do? He talked about transferring someplace far enough so that Ed-the-stalker Gorsky couldn't find or follow them but that would also mean making Vic unhappy or at least less happy. There is no one good solution for everyone involved.

I've been sure David Ridges faked his suicide from the beginning. I recall, hopefully correctly, that his head was not visible on camera when he shot himself. It was just on Jacob Nighthorse's word that Ridges was dead. I'm looking forward to Branch finding Ridges and opening that big can of super-strength ass kicking he's been carrying around. Just let the search take long enough for Branch to be back to full health for the capture and I'll be really happy.

• Love 2

Other than the lack of Search and Rescue, this episode was pretty solid--if nothing else, the scenery was gorgeous--but I had to laugh that they had a bunch of missing kids out in the wilderness so they all head back to the office while Ferg wanders around looking for the missing kids.  Anyway, I loved the scene with Henry and Branch, those two really need to catch a break. 

Do they not have Search-and-Rescue there?  When Walt cuffed the girl to his back to bring her back up, we were shouting No! She could have a spinal cord injury!  But of course, it's all about being a he-man hero.  Loved the Walt/Branch parallels at the beginning of the episode.  Self-harm such a guy thing on this show.

I know I was questioning why Ferg was bumbling around by himself when Search and Rescue should have been called in first thing. And then the rescue just made me roll my eyes. Not only could she have a spinal injury, but hanging unconscious from someone's neck with you hands handcuffed can't possibly be all that good for a person that barely survived a fall like that. Just plain ludicrous.

Loved Ruby telling to hurt the guy who killed Walt's wife. Do not mess with Matt Saracen's grandma!

Ha, ha, ha!  I have been trying to figure out where I've seen that actress before and then Billy Riggins showed up in this episode and jogged my memory. How could have I not figured this one out sooner?

Absaroka County must have a murder rate of 50 per year in a population of a few thousand. National media should be out there for it being the murder capital of the northwest.

Is it the mountain air? Grinding poverty.... what? Have they never heard of just insulting each other or filing for divorces?

I know, I know... it's a murder mystery show, but still...

Oh I know!  But, even better yet, not only does Absaroka County have this insane murder rate, but every one of those murders gets solved.  Every single one.  The only unresolved murder on the show happened in Denver.  It's absurd but in a way that I just find kind of fantastic. I mean, why would anyone in that county commit murder at this point?  Nobody gets away with it.

• Love 3

Damn good episode!

I really liked all things Branch. From conducting his little experiment with DNA to the rare Branch / Henry interaction, loved it all. I'm liking the Branch plot so far this season (I'm still about 6 episodes behind on the DVR). Not saying I approve of his actions, but his story is quite interesting.

I won't lie - Walt rappelling down the cliff with a makeshift harness was kinda hot. (Ludicrous, but hot).

The camping mystery was interesting. The Trey actor was effectively creepy, and I may have rewound and re watched a few times the scene where Trey's mom goes apeshit and destroys her own cell phone. Hee!

The Ed Gorski plot is not my favorite, but the backstory in this episode was actually interesting. I liked Walt trying to distance himself from Vic out of respect for her marriage. Too bad that marriage is toast, anyway.

Missed Cady in this episode - I've been loving her in lawyer mode.

As always, love Ruby and Ferg.

Edited by SlovakPrincess