Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: Rancho Contento

Louis tries his best to convince Jessica to consider early retirement, but she's having none of it. When Eddie looks for advice on how to be a better person for Tina and win her back, he ends up watching her favorite TV show, "Sex and the City," for clues.

Original air date: 3/15/19

I say this as someone who lives in California and barely can handle visiting Florida but what kind of idiot decides to move from Florida to California for retirement? Is it the higher cost of living or the higher taxes? 

Do they have a dart board in the writers room to figure out how Jessica will be awful from week to week? I also don’t buy that Louis would start a Roth IRA for her without telling her or that she wouldn’t notice given that she does the finances and their taxes! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I say this as someone who lives in California and barely can handle visiting Florida but what kind of idiot decides to move from Florida to California for retirement? Is it the higher cost of living or the higher taxes? 

Do they have a dart board in the writers room to figure out how Jessica will be awful from week to week? I also don’t buy that Louis would start a Roth IRA for her without telling her or that she wouldn’t notice given that she does the finances and their taxes! 

True, but it was funny that she wanted to change the name of the Ivy League school to Jessica Huang presents Harvard University. On retirement, California and particularly Santa Barbara were retirement destinations sixty years ago. Maybe the writers are extremely old or the borrowed a script from I Love Lucy.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

I looked up Dash Williams' bio and he has another show he is doing in production. Does that mean his character is officially nonexistent all of a sudden? He is no longer part of FOB?

Was it his character who Eddie's friends said was sick and Eddie was being so self involved and obsessed with Tina that he didn't notice? If so, at least they mentioned him.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Was it his character who Eddie's friends said was sick and Eddie was being so self involved and obsessed with Tina that he didn't notice? If so, at least they mentioned him.

Yes, they said Brian has mono.

I didn't like that Louis decided to kidnap Jessica on the day that she had orientation at school. He absolutely HAD to do their pretend retirement that day?

• Love 9

Have to confess I giggled at The College of William and Mary and Jessica Huang.  When I was a student there (long, long ago), there were hardly any media mentions of it so you relished the ones you heard.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yes, they said Brian has mono.

I didn't like that Louis decided to kidnap Jessica on the day that she had orientation at school. He absolutely HAD to do their pretend retirement that day?

While I don't like Jessica, I didn't like how Louis jeopardized her orientation because of pretend retirement that fell on the same day. It would made more sense for a weekend, but not falling on orientation day. I didn't sympathize Louis here at all.

• Love 5

Its always great to see Eddies friends again, even if poor Brian has mono! And Marvin is always great for a laugh. "Like when you have to dress like a polar bear to escape a Tai prison."

Jessica is a jerk as always, but even Louis seemed to caught some of her asshole fever. I mean, you couldn't have waited until after her orientation to take her on this little impromptu retirement visit? That bear with the gift in its claws was probably one of the highlights for me. 

• Love 2

I'm a big proponent of early retirement, so it figures hateful Jessica would be against it.  

Rule #1:  Never cash out one of your retirement accounts (before retirement) for any reason.

I also did not like Louis messing with her Orientation Day.  Now she's going to be disoriented.  Wrong day to miss.

• Love 1

So...they had enough in an IRA for early retirement, but when it was cashed out it only paid for a few extra classes at a local U?! Also, IRAs have annual contribution limits, so it's hard to believe it had much in it anyway -- I may have heard wrong but I thought Louis indicated it had only been a few years. Jessica would have had to have a lobotomy to pay the early withdrawal penalty.

Not one of my fav episodes. Appreciated the SatC references, how big it was at the time. (I was a Miranda, BTW!) Glad Eddie figured out he was the one bailing on his crew and not the other way around. That was the best of the plots, but none were stellar.

They didn't have enough for early retirement. Louis wasn't trying to talk her into early retirement, just retirement at all. The people they spoke with retired early, but his goal was just to get Jessica off the "work til we die" bandwagon. He thought they had enough in the IRA now such that if they continued they'd be ok to retire when he wanted. Instead she cashed out (probably paying significant penalties also) in order to pay for classes because she never intended to retire and thus had no need for retirement money. According to her.

5 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

hey didn't have enough for early retirement. Louis wasn't trying to talk her into early retirement, just retirement at all.

When he first launched into his plan he talked about early retirement and that they would have the money to do it.

• Love 4

The retirement plan for people who own a business like Cattleman’s is usually to build up the business and then sell it to pay form retirement. Putting away dribs and drabs in an IRA is a good strategy for many, but Louis would be better off investing in his business and let the equity grow and then only pay capital gains when he sells.

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

When he first launched into his plan he talked about early retirement and that they would have the money to do it.

Yeah, he said something about being able to retire at 55.  

2 hours ago, Concerned said:

The retirement plan for people who own a business like Cattleman’s is usually to build up the business and then sell it to pay form retirement. Putting away dribs and drabs in an IRA is a good strategy for many, but Louis would be better off investing in his business and let the equity grow and then only pay capital gains when he sells.

If he can afford to build his business plus keep IRAs going for himself and his wife, I think that would be a good strategy.  A restaurant like that probably has a ceiling on it as to how much it is going to be worth.  People often talk about the "three legged stool" for retirement, I always say it's best to have as many legs on that stool as you can get.

• Love 2

I didn't like this episode.  The Jessica/Louis subplot was pretty bad.   I agree with the above that both of them were pretty horrible.  I don't agree with Jessica taking courses to become a principal, but she should have been more pissed that he made her miss orientation.  And then Jessica using the money to pay for more courses without consulting Louis was her usual selfish behavior.

Evan was also a total jerk in this one with his treatment of his two brothers.

I did like seeing Eddie's friends, though I don't care much for his new love interest.

• Love 1