Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Trentina

Eddie begins dating Trent's sister Tina but it puts a strain on his friendship with Trent. When Evan fails his physical education test because he can't run, he turns to Jessica for help, but she's even worse at running than he is. Meanwhile, Louis is thrilled when the restaurant gets the Golden Prune award as being the best place for seniors to dine, but the honor doesn't reap the results he expected.

Original air date: 3/1/19

I think ABC killed this show by slashing its budget. It's nowhere near as good as it used to be. 

Seasons 2-3 were the best. And I mean excellent, as in one of the best comedies on TV.

I feel like all the money this show used to have was funneled over to Speechless. It's so frustrating.

I mean, what happened to Eddie's friends? What happened to all the neighbors? What happened to the waitstaff at Cattleman's? What happened to all the special guest stars (Shaq, George Takei, DMX etc.)? 

The plots used to be so fun and creative, but now they're almost totally uninspired. 

• Love 5

FINALLY we get a good episode for Jessica! And you know why? Because her perfectionism was turned on HERSELF. She acknowledged her flaw (she can't run! Who knew?), she was funny when she was trying to disguise it, then when her son was clearly feeling down she was able to admit to it and reassure him that she wasn't ashamed of him. And she let him help her in the 5K. This is the Jessica I want to see every week.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

No.

Right now, all shows are up in the air. Ratings aren't what they are on several of the older comedies. ABC has a lot of dying shows and it's starting to be a problem between: "we have nothing to replace it with." and "It's getting to expensive!"

58 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t know about that she still managed to tell Evan that Eddie is a loser. 

That line tainted the episode for me.

Contrast that with Louie talking to Eddie about his failure to follow through when things get tough. Louis want to help Eddie be a better person. Jessica has no problem insulting Eddie to his little brother. 

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Encouragement is fine. But I wouldn't want to date someone who thought I needed a lot of improving. Eddie wasn't a project. She treated him like one.

I didn’t get that at all she just asked about his follow through, he had none and he broke up with her. She then realized she was always going to be the one who kept on him to do shit and actively turned down him because he was a project.

• Love 7
(edited)

I agree the thing about Jessica calling Eddie a loser was awful but I know asian parents like this so I won't ding the writers for this point. They normally write Jessica as nuts anyway so this was at least realistic albeit unpleasant.

Someone I know invests in their second child fully as they are similar and she understands him and his temperament. The first child, she does not care for because the child was not what she expected. 

By the way this is not me!!!!! I only have one kid! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 3/2/2019 at 8:37 AM, teddym said:

I mean, what happened to Eddie's friends? What happened to all the neighbors? What happened to the waitstaff at Cattleman's? What happened to all the special guest stars (Shaq, George Takei, DMX etc

This.  I really miss Eddie's friends, Trents okay but I like all Eddie's friends, the tall skinny one is my favorite.  I also miss the waitstaff at Cattleman's.   There's way too much of Honey and her husband, I only like them in small doses. 

• Love 4

I mean, Jessica wasnt as bad as she has been lately, so thats something at least. But even when she is given a decently funny plot where she isnt horribly messing her kids up in any way she can, they still cant resist the urge to have her tell Eddies brothers how stupid she thinks she is. Its not funny, its just...sad.

I miss the rest of Eddies friends, we havnt seen them in ages. I like Trent, but they all work so well as a group. Also, Trenttina? Ouch. "My parents arent great."

• Love 2
On 3/2/2019 at 2:44 PM, ClareWalks said:

FINALLY we get a good episode for Jessica! And you know why? Because her perfectionism was turned on HERSELF. She acknowledged her flaw (she can't run! Who knew?), she was funny when she was trying to disguise it, then when her son was clearly feeling down she was able to admit to it and reassure him that she wasn't ashamed of him. And she let him help her in the 5K. This is the Jessica I want to see every week.

But none of this will be remembered next week. Every week now Jessica "learns" something but then her character gets reset back to the starting position each week. It's getting a little tiresome. I would like less focus on Jessica and Evan and more episodes/plots with Eddie, Louis and Emery.

• Love 5