Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E16: USA vs. the World

• Start Topic

It's on NBC right now . . . American ninjas take on the best from Europe and Australia. And right now (slightly over an hour into the program), Europe is the new Japan, not getting a single point yet.

To any mods reading this: I'm aware that season/episode numbers aren't needed. I just figured it would work continuity-wise. It makes sense in my head.

• Love 1

They are doing the exact same challenges as they had in the regular season, that's unfair and gives a major leg up to the team USA...  Though Aussies are slaughtering it currently.

Also, they are still doing their "while you were away" shtick.  Seriously?  On a two-hour special?  Otherwise, exactly what you would expect.  

• Love 5

Good job Team USA and Drew Dreschel!  But I feel sorry for Europe, they really crashed out of the competition this year.  

Looking forward to the regular season starting in a few months...

(edited)

Good time for the American ninjas . . . they make it to Stage Four with eight points, and Drew Dreschel beats the big Aussie up the rope to seal the win. Australia walks off with six points, making an impressive debut. Europe . . . one point. Is it too soon or mean to say the Europe team is now the new Japan?

I kinda wish there was a neutral meeting, where it doesn't feel the U.S. would have an advantage being familiar with most of the obstacles. Also, I'd like to know if any of the other Ninja Warrior commentators go as batshit insane as Matt and Akbar. I'm hoping Ninja vs. Nnja comes back, because I might go through withdrawals.

Honest question: was it fair for the Australians to only have the one female ninja?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

I think the rule was "at least one" so they went by the rules.  If other teams wanted to feature two female ninjas, for whatever reasons - be it political correctness or genuine belief that these were the best contestants available for this show - I don't think Australians were obligated to follow suit. 

• Love 1

It had to be embarrassing for Team Europe to lose so badly after winning last year.  I wonder why they didn't bring back a single one of their previous team members.

I also wondered why Drew was wearing those red tights.  Maybe they were in anticipation of the rope climb but they had to be soaked after he fell in the water.  Maybe he had two pairs.

I just noticed this taped and see that Japan didn’t compete, which is a shame. I know that historically they haven’t done well but it doesn’t seem right not having them there, considering that Japan is where this whole thing started.

12 hours ago, Hellga said:

I like Jesse LaBreck, but seriously, likening her buzzer here, where there is no time limits, to Jesse's buzzer in regular competition is cheapening both of their achievements.

Jessie Graf's buzzer on stage 2 was also an untimed "USA vs the World" finish.

Team Europe really made some bad decisions. I don't know why they saved that freerunner woman for stage 3 when she clearly wasn't suited for it. She could have crushed stage 1.

• Love 6

I was happy to accidentally see this on last night, I saw no promos for it. It was an exciting start, but I got sort of bored by the end. It seemed to have been taped right after the end of the American series, which makes sense so obstacles don't have to be torn down and moved. But it does give an unfair advantage to Team USA. I wish some of the obstacles had been new to them, too.

I wonder why people are able to complete the course in this "vs. The World" but not in the regular American competition.

The quick clip of the woman stunt actor from London teaming up with Jessie Graf to do "something" looked interesting. I would have liked to have seen more of that.

Still, it was refreshing to have the Ninjas back. Matt and Akbar really make this show fun, even when it's not.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Team Europe really made some bad decisions. I don't know why they saved that freerunner woman for stage 3 when she clearly wasn't suited for it. She could have crushed stage 1.

I didn't understand that either.  Stage 3 requires upper body strength and grip strength on almost every obstacle and men are just better suited physically for both.  I don't think the freerunner woman was even a rock climber which would have helped.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wonder why people are able to complete the course in this "vs. The World" but not in the regular American competition.

I think that the lack of timer is a major factor.  Not only have we seen a few people complete the course but miss the buzzer by a few seconds (or more than a few) but also when people are under time pressure, they are more likely to rush and make mistakes and also they don't have a chance to rest and catch their breath, like they could here.  

@ClareWalks thanks for correcting me regarding Jesse Graff.  

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I think that the lack of timer is a major factor.  Not only have we seen a few people complete the course but miss the buzzer by a few seconds (or more than a few) but also when people are under time pressure, they are more likely to rush and make mistakes and also they don't have a chance to rest and catch their breath, like they could here.  

@ClareWalks thanks for correcting me regarding Jesse Graff.  

You're welcome! I remember she definitely took a lot of breaks for that one, but it was still so impressive, especially since they had that diabolical "bar hopper" obstacle with the rubber balls at the ends of that rod...it was diabolical. I think a big part of the women needing more time is that they don't naturally have the upper body and grip strength so they need to think more about strategy and using momentum and perfect technique. Agreed that they will likely speed up as they become more accustomed to the obstacles and see that other women can do them using (X) technique.

• Love 1

So how tall is Barclay?  The announcers didn’t mention it, but she looked like maybe about 5 feet or so.

Seriously, most of the women did well and kudos to all the Nijas that finished. Europe was all new contestants and I think got way psyched out. The Australians were impressive but picked the wrong guy for the rope climb.  He was too big to go up fast.  But I don’t think anyone was going to beat Drew though. He flew up that rope like his ass was on fire. 

• Love 5

So how tall is Barclay?  The announcers didn’t mention it, but she looked like maybe about 5 feet or so.

I think they've said in the past that she's 5 feet.  IMO One of the best things her successes have accomplished is they've stopped Matt and Akbar from bringing up Kacy every chance they get.  Barclay is basically the same height and much better.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Iguana said:

She is 5 feet tall, I remember then talking about her height (or lack thereof) repeatedly during the past couple seasons.  

On 1/28/2019 at 12:50 AM, Dewey Decimate said:

Can Flex LaBreck run for president? She's freakin' terrific.

Jesse and Jessie for President and VP (in either order)!  How cool is it that the first two women to finish Stage 2 are Jessie and Jesse???

2 hours ago, Hellga said:
13 hours ago, Iguana said:

She is 5 feet tall, I remember then talking about her height (or lack thereof) repeatedly during the past couple seasons.  

I think @Iguana was being sarcastic, since Matt and Akbar mentioned her height at least 3 times during this show.

• Love 1

Nice to see great runs by Jessie LaBreck and Barclay Stockett. And Australia was both fun and impressively competitive.

I think there’s an asterisk next to the US win though since the European team was nothing like the team that won in the past. Where was Sean McColl? I’m convinced he would win the million dollars every year if he were allowed to compete on the regular US show, and since this year’s stage three seemed even more ridiculously hard than past year’s, I wanted to see him try it.

• Love 2