Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

On 4/18/2022 at 4:40 AM, debraran said:

Yes, we need our closeups..lol and I'll be on the church board by next week. He also thought the Olesons's could tell looking at him that he wouldn't run off in the middle of the night like the others....how dare they? (even if the real Charles did)

I wonder how many did run off, Was their any episodes where people did?

Edited by jason88cubs
  • LOL 3
On 4/19/2022 at 6:00 AM, jason88cubs said:

I wonder how many did run off, Was their any episodes where people did?

I think that during the episode where everyone left town (and ended up in Winoka) because of the rain, Nels mentioned some people leaving in the middle of the night. I got the impression it was without paying their bills at the mercantile.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, jird said:

I think that during the episode where everyone left town (and ended up in Winoka) because of the rain, Nels mentioned some people leaving in the middle of the night. I got the impression it was without paying their bills at the mercantile.

And the dumb guys who thought the husband of the pregnant wife ran off with their corn money. I think it happened often enough to be an honest concern. Farming was not steady income. She made a valid point, they pay for items before they sell them so credit doesn't do much for them. They'll extend it but not to strangers.

• Love 1

Considering the large number of one-shot 'best friends' the Ingallses had who came and went without a word before/after their single episode appearances, I think it's likely that most if not all of them amscrayed to parts unknown once their storylines were done- which beats the alternative of them getting murdered with no one else caring to look for them, much less seek justice for them. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 4/21/2022 at 6:28 AM, Blergh said:

Considering the large number of one-shot 'best friends' the Ingallses had who came and went without a word before/after their single episode appearances, I think it's likely that most if not all of them amscrayed to parts unknown once their storylines were done- which beats the alternative of them getting murdered with no one else caring to look for them, much less seek justice for them. 

I know he didn't like to use people again (unless in another role like the grandpa/angel/gold/house buyer guy) I would have loved another Abel story not about his learning to give "Hoss's" son another paycheck and Graham maybe seen at church or the store. The widow he did woodwork for was too famous or Doc's girlfriend so you knew they were gone but even in passing to have the kids say, "Graham invited us to go fishing" or Abel is going to the city with his parent and we want to say goodbye. Just not done as much then but I liked how MASH would bring people back or mention them and it was on 10 years.

I think when Michael was having his own personal issues, he brought them out in the show, the problems with Harriet and Nels, bringing in the Irish woman, the disintegration of the beautiful marriage of Edwards and his family, when you think about it, most people he met were unhappy, he had to fix them or show how much better he was. Even their high school reunion, did everyone have to be so awful, everyone wanting to cheat etc.Did Caroline's friend have to marry a jerk? I know you need drama but you just knew a normal couple wasn't going to exist and if they did, one would die. I guess it was a good way not to bring them back.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, jird said:

Alert: Part 1 of Albert Barfs Up Drugs is beginning on Hallmark right now. Check your powdered sugar supplies.

Quick! Lock up the wedding cookies! 

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, debraran said:

I know he didn't like to use people again (unless in another role like the grandpa/angel/gold/house buyer guy) I would have loved another Abel story not about his learning to give "Hoss's" son another paycheck and Graham maybe seen at church or the store. The widow he did woodwork for was too famous or Doc's girlfriend so you knew they were gone but even in passing to have the kids say, "Graham invited us to go fishing" or Abel is going to the city with his parent and we want to say goodbye. Just not done as much then but I liked how MASH would bring people back or mention them and it was on 10 years.

I think when Michael was having his own personal issues, he brought them out in the show, the problems with Harriet and Nels, bringing in the Irish woman, the disintegration of the beautiful marriage of Edwards and his family, when you think about it, most people he met were unhappy, he had to fix them or show how much better he was. Even their high school reunion, did everyone have to be so awful, everyone wanting to cheat etc.Did Caroline's friend have to marry a jerk? I know you need drama but you just knew a normal couple wasn't going to exist and if they did, one would die. I guess it was a good way not to bring them back.

That's a really common (& boring) trope on TV shows as well. The main character is some kind of Sage who solves people's problems and everyone flocks to them. On MASH there was Hawkeye and Happy Days had Fonz and Mr C, The Waltons you had the father etc. 

TV in that period was all about teaching morality lessons as well so it just fit in. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, LadyIrony said:

That's a really common (& boring) trope on TV shows as well. The main character is some kind of Sage who solves people's problems and everyone flocks to them. On MASH there was Hawkeye and Happy Days had Fonz and Mr C, The Waltons you had the father etc. 

TV in that period was all about teaching morality lessons as well so it just fit in. 

I agree, but with MASH Hawkeye really messed up a lot too, Fr Mulcahy was more the moral person they flocked too (except when he liked a woman too much and needed their help) I liked how they all were imperfect but tried but yes Hawkeye and others did show the moral side of the indignities of the war and how ridiculous some things were they were subjected too. With LHOP there was mainly Charles...I mean Nel's was a good guy too but they had to show his failings at least once. Charles could flirt and carry on with a woman and it was fine, he was St Charles, poor Caroline has to have her daughter banish the guy who's company she was enjoying. Sexism alive and well in Walnut Grove. : )

• Love 2

In the earlier days of TV, those sages are almost always men: Pa, Ward Cleaver, Mike Brady, Marcus Welby, Tom Bradford, etc. I’m hard pressed to think of a woman TV sage back then - I guess Shirley Partridge, but even in that case, it was only because there was no husband around.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Egg McMuffin said:

In the earlier days of TV, those sages are almost always men: Pa, Ward Cleaver, Mike Brady, Marcus Welby, Tom Bradford, etc. I’m hard pressed to think of a woman TV sage back then - I guess Shirley Partridge, but even in that case, it was only because there was no husband around.

I thought of a few more:  Hazel, Donna Reed, Anne Marie (That Girl), Ann Southern.... 

• Love 1

I think Pa still stands out among the wise 70s TV sages for being so over the top with his interventions. I'm watching The Waltons right now, and when John is teaching someone a lesson, he's pretty low key and normal about it. He's certainly not shirtless or building a phallic altar, ala Pa. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Zella said:

I think Pa still stands out among the wise 70s TV sages for being so over the top with his interventions. I'm watching The Waltons right now, and when John is teaching someone a lesson, he's pretty low key and normal about it. He's certainly not shirtless or building a phallic altar, ala Pa. 

(cue the dramatic music, Charles stands up, hands in pockets, turns back, starts biting his lip, eyes get moist) "What a family. It does make a man proud"

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Just finished a book called The Mountains Sing. It was set in the Vietnam War era; its narrator was a North Vietnamese girl. Her distain for Americans was lessened by reading a translated copy of Little House in the Big Woods. She loved the relationship between Laura and Charles.

Imagine that book in Michael Landon's hands ... Charles Ingalls would have solved that whole wretched mess.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, debraran said:

I agree, but with MASH Hawkeye really messed up a lot too, Fr Mulcahy was more the moral person they flocked too (except when he liked a woman too much and needed their help) I liked how they all were imperfect but tried but yes Hawkeye and others did show the moral side of the indignities of the war and how ridiculous some things were they were subjected too. With LHOP there was mainly Charles...I mean Nel's was a good guy too but they had to show his failings at least once. Charles could flirt and carry on with a woman and it was fine, he was St Charles, poor Caroline has to have her daughter banish the guy who's company she was enjoying. Sexism alive and well in Walnut Grove. : )

Yeah Hawkeye was a mess and endangered himself and others way too often. He was also a drunk. His conduct with the nurses was also shocking. At least he was single unlike the other doctors. In reality Hawkeye would have been up on charges many times. Some of which would have been very serious and possibly resulting in a long prison term. Not sure if the US Army still had the death penalty back then for anything. 

Like MASH, LHOP also echoed the morals of the time it was made rather than the time it was set in. In reality the daughters would have been married off in their teens. Charles had the opportunity to start a business at one point but because it would have involved him spending time away from home he gave up on it. That isn't something that would have mattered during that era, people did what they needed to and the business Charles was looking into would have been lucrative. So the moral lesson of the day was "Fathers need to spend more time at home". 

8 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Sages can come across in different ways. And back then mothers and fathers had different roles. What a child would go to his mother about was different to what they would go to their father about. As you get into the 80's parents would start being more of a team.

8 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I thought of a few more:  Hazel, Donna Reed, Anne Marie (That Girl), Ann Southern.... 

Flo from Good Times was another one, more of a moralist. Samantha from Bewitched was a bit of a Sage. She had more say than Derwood that's for sure.

5 hours ago, Zella said:

Grandma tried to be a Sage but her old school beliefs tended to come off as a cranky old lady. I always got the sense with John that he would have been happier playing with his lumber and drinking a beer. Some of the lofty ideas that John Boy would go on about caused his eyes to roll! 

Even Pa was flawed, he embellished his experience about riding with the Rough Riders and if it weren't for Ma reigning him in by being a constant wet blanket he probably would have still been behaving like a 20 year old every night instead of just half the week lol. 

Edited by LadyIrony
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, LadyIrony said:

Grandma tried to be a Sage but her old school beliefs tended to come off as a cranky old lady. I always got the sense with John that he would have been happier playing with his lumber and drinking a beer. Some of the lofty ideas that John Boy would go on about caused his eyes to roll! 

Liv could also come across as a shrew at times. I wouldn't mind having a John Walton to bounce life choices off of. LOL 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Liv could also come across as a shrew at times. I wouldn't mind having a John Walton to bounce life choices off of. LOL 

John always seemed like the type of guy who would rather not be bothered but was always bothered

Olivia: John!

John: Yes Liv

Olivia: Jason took off

John: Well I got a order to fill

Olivia: That's our son that's missing

John: Alright Liv, let's go find him

• LOL 3
19 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

John always seemed like the type of guy who would rather not be bothered but was always bothered

True, though I feel like the fact he doesn't want to intervene makes him better at it than Charles, who was always practically salivating at the chance to jump in someone's business and be man of the hour. 

• Love 2

BTW, did Pa knock men off their horses by punching them -then stealing their horses more than just the one time (chase after Laura+Albert taking the dying pal on the train to see the Pacific?

He didn't even attempt to ask them to borrow/tell them he needed their horses for an emergency- just punched the owner then STOLE the horse (and I can't recall any scenes or dialogue about the horse/s being returned)!

IIRC, horse thievery was taken VERY seriously by law enforcement back then- as in it being a hanging offense in more than one frontier town but Pa somehow never even considered that he COULD have had consequences for . .. borrowing equines the after assaulting the owner/s!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Zella said:

Liv did seem like an old hag in training at times. She was closer to her mother in law than should be allowed! John was really the only non annoying character on the show. 

3 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I felt bad for John it seemed he was supporting the entire family and no one was really there for him. One ep he comes home and there isn't any dinner and he is rather upset about it. 

Then of course it's either his father or oldest son who burn the house down via their stupidity. He has all these sons yet one wants to be a writer, another wants to be a muso, no one helps with the damn family business! 

Then his wife decides all the kids she has isn't enough so she wants another one despite her getting on in years. Cue disaster and more emotional fallout for John to deal with. 

I can see why he would just prefer being left alone.

John Boy: Daddy, can we talk?

John: "You're 21 now son, stop with the Daddy crap. What's up?" 

John Boy: "It's when I saw the Hindenburg crash. It was terrible"

John: "Well yeah. I've been to war I know what's like" 

John Boy: "No this was worse. A big explosion, people on fire" 

John: "Well yeah. That is like war Son" 

John Boy: "No Daddy.. errr Dad. It was one big explosion!" 

John: "Hand me my rifle and the jug of whiskey"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Zella said:

True, though I feel like the fact he doesn't want to intervene makes him better at it than Charles, who was always practically salivating at the chance to jump in someone's business and be man of the hour. 

(Charles sees two people talking seriously)

Charles: Uh oh!

Caroline: Whats wrong?

Charles: Mr. SMith and Mr. Williams are talking seriously. I bet something is up. Let me check it out!

Mr Smith: No Charles please we are fine

Charles: NO! You need help and I'm here for you! Tell me what you need!!

Mr Smith. I just need 2 dollars

Charles: oh ok yea sorry for interrupting. Have a good day

• LOL 3

fake episode i wrote while bored at work

Title"Gone is Charles"

Scene 1
The episode starts as Charles rides into Walnut Grove to stop by and ask Doc Baker to dinner. The Doc says hes about to perform major surgery, he secretly tells charles hes nervous and this would be safer with a major doctor but THERES NO TIME!!

Charles looks at the doc and says "Let me be responsible" The doc says "Charles you have no training!" Charles says "Doc all i need is confidence. That i have"

Charles takes off his shirt and sanitizes his chest and performs teh surgery

He botches it and the patient dies.

Charles goes out in the waiting room and gets choked up and says " I I uh I lost her!!" and breaks down crying. The doc stands up and says to no one in particular "How could I let thsis happen!?" Caroline, who appeared goes up to Charles and says" You must keep believing Charles!!"

Charles gets up looks at the doc and says "We would still like you to come' over for some chicken and dumpling and some of caroline's famous apple fritters tonight . See Ya around 6!"

Scene 2

The next morning at Hanses Mill, Hanses is stressed because they are behind on a major order
Charles comes up to Hansen and say s"i think we can get this done, why dont we just increase the speed!"

Hanses says "Nahhh that will not work! Machine will break! No we will just have to work longer day!"

Charles gets frustrated and sayd "oh Come on Hansen I have plenty of experience with stuff like this. I can get it working just right. Just think, companies from all over the state of Minnesota will eb coming to us. "Quickest mill in the state" will be our slogan Yea!"
Hansen says "Yea wellllllll, hmmm you say you can do this?"
Charles says "just watch"

Charles takes his shirt off and gets to working on it
Charles increases teh speed and at first it works great, hansen is smiling but then the machine starts smoking and breaks

Hansen" Oh no no no!"

Charles gets a frown and starts crying, "I thought I had it, The dream almost happened!"

caroling who was at Olseons Merch walks up to Charles and said "YOU must keep believing Charles!"

Charles wipes his tears, looks at a stunned Hanses and said "Well looks like we wont eb working late, se ya tomorrow!"

Scene 3

The next day at olseons Marcintile, Nels is handling some very expensive plates

Charles walks in all sweaty and dirty, smelling awful and Nels is cheerful as can be

Charles says "Well Nels looks like you have your hands full"

Nels says "Yea trying to get all this put away. Theres a lot though, been at it for 3 hours!"

Charles whistles and says "tell ya what, let me help and I'll pay my bill right now!"

Nels laughs and says "Id like to but each of these is $15.00!"

Charles looks at Nels and says "Ive held babies, Ive delivered babies, i think I can handle $15.00 plates"

Nels says "You are right, Im sorry for offending you"

Charles takes his shirt off which makes Nels ask "why"

Charles" Nels, My chest will intimidate these plates in to not falling"

everything goes great for 5 minutes until charles breaks 10 plates

Nels screams "Thats 150 dollars!!!"

Charles falls crying holding the broken plates to hsi chest, Caroline walks in to sell teh eggs and says "Charles You must keep believing!!!:

Charles says your right honey, ooks at Olsen and says " Just charge that to our account nels!"

Scene 4-Final Scene

At church the rev is giving a sermon, then stops , gets a serious look and says

"I have had reports of a certain member of this community who keeps causing trouble"

(charles looks around, little smirk, nods at a farmer and whispers to Caroline "Its chris the handyman)

The reverend look at Charles and say "THIS PERSOn is a egotistical , rude, selfish person, and I am ashamed that I welcome dthis person into my life

Charles is holding back laughter "WOW HES REALLY GIVING IT TO HIM!"

The rev omes down and stands in front of Charles and says "Frankly Walnut Grove was better without you"

Charles gets a shocked look

The whole town stands up and says "charles we dont want you here"

Charles starts crying, takes off his shirt and says "We dont want to leave"

Caroline says "WE arent levaing charles its you , you see im now dating Chris the handyman,

Chris comes up and kisses ehr . the daughters start saying "daddy Chris!

Charles is grabbed by Edwards and Garvey and thrown out of town. Charleis crying and caroline gives him one look and says "Stop believing Charles"

The episode ends with Charles going to a new town and walking up to someone who needs help and says "Here let me help you with that"

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

Charles looks at the doc and says "Let me be responsible" The doc says "Charles you have no training!" Charles says "Doc all i need is confidence. That i have"

Confidence AND GOD! God being a major factor in Landon's work. Something I love about the Walton's is John's refusal to be baptized.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

(Charles sees two people talking seriously)

Charles: Uh oh!

Caroline: Whats wrong?

Charles: Mr. SMith and Mr. Williams are talking seriously. I bet something is up. Let me check it out!

Mr Smith: No Charles please we are fine

Charles: NO! You need help and I'm here for you! Tell me what you need!!

Mr Smith. I just need 2 dollars

Charles: oh ok yea sorry for interrupting. Have a good day

He's in the middle of pulling off the shirt when they tell him he just needs 2 dollars. 😂

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 4/25/2022 at 4:43 PM, Zella said:

He's in the middle of pulling off the shirt when they tell him he just needs 2 dollars. 😂

One of the two random people: Mr. Ingalls, we'll pay you three dollars if you put your shirt back ON!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

Did Charles's/ML's maniacal laughing jags bother anyone else? They always seemed to come out of nowhere and were so loud. Ugh. 

No I always laughed

Especially when they cut to him laughing in the Quarrel episode between Nels and Harriet when she dumped the eggs on his head

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

His manical laughing jags are like nails on a chalkboard for me.   It happened over time.  I guess binge-watching will do that.  I guess it's his "real" laughter and not acting?  I guess they thought it was quirky enough to leave in the show but man it grates after a while.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

His manical laughing jags are like nails on a chalkboard for me.   It happened over time.  I guess binge-watching will do that.  I guess it's his "real" laughter and not acting?  I guess they thought it was quirky enough to leave in the show but man it grates after a while.

It seemed to match the 'after prank' guffaws in the blooper reels so I think it's at least close to the real thing.

BTW, has anyone ever heard any explanation as to why Charles alone pronounced his wife's name as CaroLYNN while  everyone else on the show correctly called her 'CARE-oh-line'? Surely if ML believed everyone ELSE was wrong in the pronunciation of C-a-r-o-l-i-n-e, he'd have yelled 'cut' and have them redo their lines until they echoed Charles's way! 

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

It seemed to match the 'after prank' guffaws in the blooper reels so I think it's at least close to the real thing.

BTW, has anyone ever heard any explanation as to why Charles alone pronounced his wife's name as CaroLYNN while  everyone else on the show correctly called her 'CARE-oh-line'? Surely if ML believed everyone ELSE was wrong in the pronunciation of C-a-r-o-l-i-n-e, he'd have yelled 'cut' and have them redo their lines until they echoed Charles's way! 

ML couldn’t be bothered with pesky little details. Just like he made countless people, me included, mispronounce Al-MAN-zo’s name. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

BTW, has anyone ever heard any explanation as to why Charles alone pronounced his wife's name as CaroLYNN

I figured it was an endearment.

Just saw The Third Miracle yesterday for the first time.  Other than sentimental reasons, I don't know why Ma would've kept Mary's glasses all these years.  Even if one of the other kids eyesight declined, the prescription may not be the same.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Right. Plus, what the hell is she going to use them for? What was the excuse for a blind woman taking a pair of old glasses on a trip?

It was pretty contrived.  Caroline gave them to her because weird reasons.

10 hours ago, Katy M said:

It was pretty contrived.  Caroline gave them to her because weird reasons.

Maybe to remind her that she and Charles likely had had to spend a year's worth of income on them- yet Mary hid them in a hollow log and pretended to 'lose' them just because she hated Nellie and Willie calling her 'four eyes'! 

• LOL 1
(edited)

It’s really too bad they never did any spinoffs, because there was so much potential.

Little Store in the Big City. The adventures of Nellie and Perciville running the family store in New York, helped by their BFFs Adam and Mary.

Jezebel: The New Adventures of Whisper Country. Every week a new teacher arrives in Willow Run, and crazy-ass Miss Peel tries to drive her out.

Something Wilder. Manly divorces Beth and goes to live with his family: controlling Eliza Jane, flaky Royal and his wife, the bratty kids and Pearly White.

Monty and Edwards: Mismatched Edwards and Montague become roommates. And solve crimes.

Blind Spot. Hester Sue runs the Sleepy Eye School for the Blind, with the help of Houston LAMB and his two charges.

Edited by Egg McMuffin
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Little Store in the Big City. The adventures of Nellie and Perciville running the family store in New York, helped by their BFFs Adam and Mary.

I'd watch this one. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'd watch this one. 

I used to say this would be the best spin off except Steve got sick. Even if they did it with Nelly losing him at one point, it could have been a strong show with Melissa Sue and hubby etc.

• Love 2

Been binging for several weeks.

ML was indeed talented, but a nasty person.

Kept the money for raises for himself.

Yet on this series and the next he is all about morality, goodness, godliness, forgiveness, honesty, etc.

But was so greedy to deny adult or child actors on his show raises.

Not anything like he was on the series. Or his next.

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Been binging for several weeks.

ML was indeed talented, but a nasty person.

Kept the money for raises for himself.

Yet on this series and the next he is all about morality, goodness, godliness, forgiveness, honesty, etc.

But was so greedy to deny adult or child actors on his show raises.

Not anything like he was on the series. Or his next.

It's interesting that Miss Gilbert considered him to be nothing less than a bona fide father figure (at least until the bond soured over her own mother siding with his 2nd ex wife against him courting and marrying his much younger 3rd wife). .. and Miss Arngrim believed that he treated her and the other minor performers with respect. Also, it seems he had a loyal crew that followed him from the Bonanza set to LHOTP all the way to Highway to Heaven.

However, it's a bit sad that Ketty Lester (Hester Sue Turhune) and Charlotte Stewart (Miss Eva Beadle) seemed to like and respect him as an employer and person while Karen Grassle (Caroline Ingalls) appears to have disliked  him in both capacities. 

However, ALL the above mentioned adoring and befriending Katherine MacGregor in their memoirs!

9 hours ago, Blergh said:

It's interesting that Miss Gilbert considered him to be nothing less than a bona fide father figure (at least until the bond soured over her own mother siding with his 2nd ex wife against him courting and marrying his much younger 3rd wife). .. and Miss Arngrim believed that he treated her and the other minor performers with respect. Also, it seems he had a loyal crew that followed him from the Bonanza set to LHOTP all the way to Highway to Heaven.

However, it's a bit sad that Ketty Lester (Hester Sue Turhune) and Charlotte Stewart (Miss Eva Beadle) seemed to like and respect him as an employer and person while Karen Grassle (Caroline Ingalls) appears to have disliked  him in both capacities. 

However, ALL the above mentioned adoring and befriending Katherine MacGregor in their memoirs!

How could you not love Katherine! She was ballsy and loving and strong willed. Richard Bull liked her but took on her telling him how to do a scene etc. A deep respect followed. She took on Michael often and I feel he knew she was not replaceable and put up with it but I believe she just didn't want to come back at the end. She had suggestions for scene changes and some he did. Her "peacock" line about him, still makes me laugh.  She got Hersha who really didn't like how a scene was going to ask him about changing it. She got her nerve up and he did change the lighting etc. but she never did it again, not having Katherine's chutzpah. ; ) Charlotte did say Michael hit on her but he was her boss and she said No. That is never a good thing. (he should know better) He moved on to another. I think Ketty especially then, was grateful for being on the show, getting to sing, etc. She didn't have as much time with him as others but in that world, you didn't bite the hand that fed you, even if you wanted more money.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, debraran said:

How could you not love Katherine! She was ballsy and loving and strong willed. Richard Bull liked her but took on her telling him how to do a scene etc. A deep respect followed. She took on Michael often and I feel he knew she was not replaceable and put up with it but I believe she just didn't want to come back at the end. She had suggestions for scene changes and some he did. Her "peacock" line about him, still makes me laugh.  She got Hersha who really didn't like how a scene was going to ask him about changing it. She got her nerve up and he did change the lighting etc. but she never did it again, not having Katherine's chutzpah. ; ) Charlotte did say Michael hit on her but he was her boss and she said No. That is never a good thing. (he should know better) He moved on to another. I think Ketty especially then, was grateful for being on the show, getting to sing, etc. She didn't have as much time with him as others but in that world, you didn't bite the hand that fed you, even if you wanted more money.

Ironically, Miss Stewart didn't seem to feel the least miffed or put out by ML propositioning her since she said they were both single (though I question the timing) and he seemed perfectly happy to keep working with her after her evidently polite but firm decline whereas Miss Grassle seemed VERY annoyed re ML's resistance to her proposed raise despite the fact that, as per her bio, he did NOT ever attempt to proposition her (even though he made inappropriate comments and jokes in her presence).  Then, too, Miss Lester also wasn't propositioned by ML and he didn't seem to say or do anything that discomfited her (and she was NOT shy about dissing the nameless AD who DID proposition her despite her marital status).  Miss Lester and  Miss Stewart also seemed perfectly fine with their steady salaries (and, oddly enough, for all of the 2nd hand and/or postmortem disses that Miss MacGregor allegedly made about ML, NONE of them have claimed that she was upset with the salary he paid her). 

(edited)
12 hours ago, Blergh said:

Ironically, Miss Stewart didn't seem to feel the least miffed or put out by ML propositioning her since she said they were both single (though I question the timing) and he seemed perfectly happy to keep working with her after her evidently polite but firm decline whereas Miss Grassle seemed VERY annoyed re ML's resistance to her proposed raise despite the fact that, as per her bio, he did NOT ever attempt to proposition her (even though he made inappropriate comments and jokes in her presence).  Then, too, Miss Lester also wasn't propositioned by ML and he didn't seem to say or do anything that discomfited her (and she was NOT shy about dissing the nameless AD who DID proposition her despite her marital status).  Miss Lester and  Miss Stewart also seemed perfectly fine with their steady salaries (and, oddly enough, for all of the 2nd hand and/or postmortem disses that Miss MacGregor allegedly made about ML, NONE of them have claimed that she was upset with the salary he paid her). 

No Doc Baker complained of no raise (and he was on a long time) and I think Richard Bull. Katherine seemed fine with things but we don't know what went on behind the scenes.

When was Mike single on the show and not with his girlfriend? He was dating her so to speak while he was married and he divorced Lynn to marry her which took a while. I hope it wasn't then because he was committed to her supposedly and she was pregnant.  Ah the life of Hollywood. Maybe that's why Charlotte liked Victor who was really single. He seemed like a nice guy overall too but had some bad habits that shortened his life. He brought so much comic relief to the show.

Edited by debraran