Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

Didn't he do one show afterwards? Something with computers or something like that? I have very vague memories. 

ETA: it was called "Whiz Kids." I don't think I ever watched it. Beyond that, it looks like he did some voiceover work. 

I watched it back in the day. It wasn't a bad show. He also did a horror movie Deadly Friend, where he reanimates a female friend of his with bad consequences. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Tamiele said:

After watching the 2-part May We Make Them Proud, I realized how good of an actor Matthew Labyorteaux was.  Most of the shows I don't get to emotional over but the scene where Mary is screaming and he is backing out of the room saying he didn't mean it - it made me tear up.  He and Michael Landon could pull the tears out of me.  Too bad Matthew really didn't do more acting after LHTP.  Patrick had some acting success but Matthew must not have pursued it.

Yeah even as uneven as the latter seasons and performances are, he always does a good job. 

• Love 2
On 3/10/2021 at 4:09 AM, debraran said:

Yes how awkward is that, they just wrap up an episode with hugs after that deplorable fire episode but then he is friends with the kid who's mom he killed. Life goes on but don't beat on him. He had enough pain.  I liked it when they just left town to start over.

Of course, it also needs to be mentioned that when Andy was barely cordial to Adam and Mary and Jonathan called him on it, Andy revealed that he resented them for the fact that his own mother Alice's being with their baby during the fire contributed to Alice's death. Yet he was willing to overlook if not completely forgive the fact that his bestie Albert had been the one who accidentally started the fire by dropping a lit pipe in the Blind School's basement.  Now, I would agree that this seems a bit inconsistent but it's hardly the first time I've heard of folks having unfair if not unjust reactions to fellow victims and actual contributors of loved one's demises so I have to give some credit to ML for showing some realism re grieving here. 

Yeah, I agree that it was best that they left town but it seems that almost as soon as Jonathan busted up the teen theft ring in that new town, there was ZERO contact to/from the Garveys with anyone in Walnut Grove. Perhaps it was for the best for all of them but hopefully they were able to look back and consider that they DID have good times with each other before the horrific tragedy. 

• Love 1

I'm watching the episode where Bearded Charles brings Young Michael Bluth out of his coma (after his vengeance ride). I had read about this, but I was still not adequately prepared for how bonkers it is and how over-the-top the glorification of Charles is, even by his lofty standards.

giphy.gif

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Oh, you mean Schlong of Healing? It is so over-the-top, ridiculous and misguided that I find it immensely entertaining. 

It had a certain trainwreck charm to it! 😄 And in that sense was more watchable than most of season 8. Yeesh. The prospect of starting 9 has me feeling like Lloyd Bridges in Airplane. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Charles when doctors say Albert is going to die:  *grabs Laura by the shoulders and shakes her until she says "My brother is going to die!"

Charles when doctors say James is going to die: *yells a lot, grows a manly beard, builds a phallic monument, talks to hallucinations*

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jird said:

Charles when doctors say Albert is going to die:  *grabs Laura by the shoulders and shakes her until she says "My brother is going to die!"

Charles when doctors say James is going to die: *yells a lot, grows a manly beard, builds a phallic monument, talks to hallucinations*

No big altar for Charles Jr either, just accepted it was "God's will". No consistency.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, debraran said:

No big altar for Charles Jr either, just accepted it was "God's will". No consistency.

I haven't had 3 children die or almost die, but I would bet you wouldn't act the exact same way each time.  Different circumstances, different times in your life, and different relationships with the kids.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I haven't had 3 children die or almost die, but I would bet you wouldn't act the exact same way each time.  Different circumstances, different times in your life, and different relationships with the kids.

That may be true but it was always boys with Charles too. He lost Charles, then supposedly Albert and then almost James. I wish with Albert it was more clear if he died or became a doctor and the leukemia just went away. Even Mary's "fake" pregnancies were boys that were lost. The miscarriage had Adam's dad asking and later she had a boy. Laura of course in real life lost a son too. '

I always hated Mary's story line and I agreed with her when she said it got to be like a soap opera. I really wish they adopted a blind child not wanted by his or her parents and even if they went away, they were happy.

• Love 4

In the Schlong of Healing (totally stealing that), I couldn't help but giggle when Reverend Alden and Charles were acting like they'd never experienced a miracle before. I guess they weren't paying attention when Adam's sight came back or Charles himself magically recovered from being gutshot. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, jird said:

Don't forget him browbeating Mary, who learns she isn't going to see again after all, to confess that she wanted to see for herself (well, duh!) But that sanctimonious, "just say it, you wanted to see for you!" makes me want to slap him silly.

I know it was the end of Charles/ML in the regular episodes, but that was some shit over James. You just know Carrie or Grace wouldn't have gotten the Schlong of Healing treatment.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, debraran said:

That may be true but it was always boys with Charles too. He lost Charles, then supposedly Albert and then almost James. I wish with Albert it was more clear if he died or became a doctor and the leukemia just went away. Even Mary's "fake" pregnancies were boys that were lost. The miscarriage had Adam's dad asking and later she had a boy. Laura of course in real life lost a son too. '

I always hated Mary's story line and I agreed with her when she said it got to be like a soap opera. I really wish they adopted a blind child not wanted by his or her parents and even if they went away, they were happy.

Wait, Albert DIED???

But but but Laura's voice-over after the morPHINE two-parter indicated how proud everyone was when he came back to Walnut Grove as Dr. Albert Ingalls. 

tumblr_mhkdz8TfzK1ru9i5eo6_r2_250.gifv

• Love 1
On 3/1/2021 at 6:33 AM, Tamiele said:

Does anyone know where a person could view any of the 3 specials that aired after Little House TV series was cancelled?  I’d love to rewatch those. 

Do you have UPtv? They're all on the morning of Monday, March 21st. 

On another note, a certain mime-related episode is on at 12 today. 😲

Edited by Superclam

I watched "Bless All the Dear Children" or whatever it's called for the first time the other day. It was actually better than I thought for what was essentially a long 9th season episode. That part with the star shining though - as ridiculous as the schlong of healing.  

• Love 2

^Yeah, and it's funny how at the beginning of the movie they try to give an explanation why there's not a single flake of snow to be seen although Christmas is coming. "Winter of 1896 was a strange one, it was hot." Oh, no kidding! As hot as in a valley in Southern California.

PS. I think I need to emphasize, I do actually like this show even though all my posts are complaining of their nature more or less. It's funnier to be nitpicky, I guess!

• Love 4

I think since this was the last episode (wasn't it, even after they blew up the town?) or at least one of the last, it was IDGAF anymore and they were not going to bother with details like snow. 

Which, the fake snow from previous episodes often looked fake anyway, most memorably the Christmas on Plum Creek episode where you could clearly see the green grass peaking out from under the sad-looking fake snow (and also all the leaves on the trees that weren't the evergreen ones).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pirpana said:

PS. I think I need to emphasize, I do actually like this show even though all my posts are complaining of their nature more or less. It's funnier to be nitpicky, I guess!

Yes, I think that's the point of this page, and the whole site. You can make fun of something and still watch it every time it's on! 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Yes, I think that's the point of this page, and the whole site. You can make fun of something and still watch it every time it's on! 

Yes! Exactly!

As much as I snark on the show, I will always have a fondness for it and if I come across an episode while flipping through the channels (well, the cable guide these days), I, at minimum, have to at least see which one it is and the vast majority of the time, I end up watching it...AGAIN. 😂

• Love 3

@superclam I have amazon prime and I know Bless the Children is there but haven't watched it since it was on TV. I saw 3 dvd collection for 9.99 a while back.  don't think they were worth it but some might want the complete series.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, debraran said:

@superclam I have amazon prime and I know Bless the Children is there but haven't watched it since it was on TV. I saw 3 dvd collection for 9.99 a while back.  don't think they were worth it but some might want the complete series.

I checked earlier today and it looks like all 3 of the movies are there on Amazon Prime but separate from the show. I will not be able to resist when the time comes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 3/13/2021 at 1:07 PM, Pirpana said:

Same, I love the show. I think it's a sign of how much we love it that we've watched the episodes enough times to notice all these things!

• Love 4

So I came across this sad news about Reverend Hale (from S9 - the one where Mr. Edwards thinks new, hunky Rev Hale is trying to replace Rev Alden).

I had no idea he was murdered.

He was supposed to start work on North & South one week after his death and it makes me wonder which character he was set to play. 

I've watched a few episodes of season 9 now, and it is so boring. I may have a form of Stockholm Syndrome, but I think I miss Charles and his manly chest? Season 8 was horribly stupid, but it was entertainingly so. I think the most excitement I've had watching season 9 was figuring out midway through an episode that Robert Loggia was in it. (I missed him in the credits.) Him trying to kill his family and taking Laura hostage was pretty meh though. I am holding out for that damn orangutan! 

As for liking the show, I genuinely enjoyed the first 3 or 4 seasons. I hadn't found this thread at that point, but it was so good! 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

So I came across this sad news about Reverend Hale (from S9 - the one where Mr. Edwards thinks new, hunky Rev Hale is trying to replace Rev Alden).

I had no idea he was murdered.

He was supposed to start work on North & South one week after his death and it makes me wonder which character he was set to play. 

I had no idea either!

And I am not trying to be snarky, but I got completely distracted by the inclusion of how he was "sitting in the van, playing his bagpipes." What?

7 hours ago, jird said:

I had no idea either!

And I am not trying to be snarky, but I got completely distracted by the inclusion of how he was "sitting in the van, playing his bagpipes." What?

What a sad loss. Who knows what he more could have done. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 2

I got Pa!! 

You are responsible and highly sensitive to your environment. You are loyal to your family and tradition. You are generous with your time and energy for the good of others. Have you ever thought of being an advocate or city leader?

I'm typing this with my shirt off, of course. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I got Pa!! 

You are responsible and highly sensitive to your environment. You are loyal to your family and tradition. You are generous with your time and energy for the good of others. Have you ever thought of being an advocate or city leader?

How do your ribs feel? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Superclam said:

My ribs are broken but my spirit is not. Gonna be hard to stack these sacks of grain remotely. 

I'm proud of you, Charlie! 🤣

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

My ribs are broken but my spirit is not. Gonna be hard to stack these sacks of grain remotely. 

Just wait until the quiz identifies Mary and Laura, and then you'll have help!

• LOL 4

I got Reverend Alden. Not sure how I feel about that.

You are a natural counselor. Your intuition makes you approachable and understanding. You tend to have a great faith either in a higher power or humanity.

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

I got Pa!! 

RIP CountryGirl. 

• LOL 2
26 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm Hester Sue and I think for a tv quiz those questions were kind of hard, LOL.

That's because we Hester Sues don't have time to ponder questions all day, we have tables waiting for coffee refills, and bad dating decisions to make!

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, jird said:

That's because we Hester Sues don't have time to ponder questions all day, we have tables waiting for coffee refills, and bad dating decisions to make!

In case of fire, please shut. the. door. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, jird said:

Here is a helpful quiz in case you've ever wondered what LH character you are!

https://littlehouseontheprairie.com/which-little-house-on-the-prairie-character-are-you/

I am Hester Sue, and I'm okay with that.

Hester Sue is pretty awesome, except for that one time when she opened the cellar door and let the fire spread and kill Mrs. Garvey and Adam Kendall Jr. 

12 hours ago, Superclam said:

In case of fire, please shut. the. door. 

Jinx!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1