Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: You've Got a Girlfriend

Evan has a girlfriend! And Jessica deeply disapproves because she thinks it will distract him from his schoolwork and cause his grades to decline. Meanwhile, Eddie, Emery, and Honey are shocked when they all go out to see the film “You’ve Got Mail,” and Louis hates it. But Louis’ reason for disliking the film has to do with a ruthless act he unconsciously committed years ago which resulted in a mom and pop rib shack going out of business, much like what took place in the movie.

Original air date: 1/11/19

• Love 1

Half-asian here. The first season was fantastic. I felt like I was watching my childhood, at times.

Now? I've finally embraced my hate-on for Jessica. I love Constance Wu, but Jessica this season is not just hateful, but she's also just ... slow. Every week, she learns she shouldn't be such a shrew, and the next week she's right back to hateful shrew. I can't figure out what the difference is -- did they lose the Asian writers who knew how to walk the line between loving and Super Bitchy Tiger Mom?

Also: I hate her blatant favoritism toward Evan. It's just over the top, weird and wrong. 

Edited by jmonique
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, jmonique said:

Half-asian here. The first season was fantastic. I felt like I was watching my childhood, at times.

Now? I've finally embraced my hate-on for Jessica. I love Constance Wu, but Jessica this season is not just hateful, but she's also just ... slow. Every week, she learns she shouldn't be such a shrew, and the next week she's right back to hateful shrew. I can't figure out what the difference is -- did they lose the Asian writers who knew how to walk the line between loving and Super Bitchy Tiger Mom?

Also: I hate her blatant favoritism toward Evan. It's just over the top, weird and wrong. 

Yes, Jessica is just such a hateful character, I'm surprised someone hasn't hired a sniper to take her off. Plus, not only is the favoritism of Evan goes over the job. Evan also does things that he knows everyone won't blame him for and then feels bad later when he gets caught. Yet, just like Jessica he goes right back to doing it again and knowing one of his brother's or his dad will get the blame for it. 

I did laugh at their take of You Got Mail. Out of all 90s movies, that was one movie I never understood the praise for. It wasn't even Hank's best role. And the one actor of the elderly couple that Louis felt bad for was from True Blood! Did anybody catch that? I did like the description of the ribs they tried when they went through great detail as to how bad it was to begin with.

I had a tiny bit of sympathy for Evan going through that. What Jessica did was just diabolical in nature. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 4

I actually did feel bad for Evan, what Jessica did was straight up super villain behavior. She has gone so far overboard, its really hurting the show. Her subplots about how awful she is, and how she never seems to really learn a lesson, no matter what happens every week. 

I did like the plot with You've Got Mail, that was a lot more fun. I have very strong nostalgia vibes for that movie (my mom loved it when I was a kid, and she watched it all the time. I didnt get it, and I still dont) and I loved the sort of comedic take on the plot. Really, watch the movie it was based on, The Shop Around the Corner. Its way better. 

• Love 5

I'm a little biased towards You've Got Mail as it was the first movie I got to be an extra in. As an 18 year old that just moved to New York City it was one of the coolest nights I ever had. So I always get a kick out of it being mentioned...even if I've actually only watched it once. It's definitely up there as one of the last "90's" movies, mostly because of the integration of AOL as well as the aspect of large B&M book stores taking over, which were quickly taken over by Amazon in the following decade. I almost felt bad when Louis first said he didn't like the movie. How could you?!?!? :)

Back to the show, I just don't get what they are doing with Jessica. She is so unlikable now, and it isn't even like she is doing crappy things to other people. She is doing it to her own family which makes it 10x worse IMO.  I feel like this show is following Modern Family by ruining the original vibe of the show as well as the characters. They are just doing it at a breakneck speed. I fear that they will ruin Louis soon, whom I still enjoy.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I'm a little biased towards You've Got Mail as it was the first movie I got to be an extra in. As an 18 year old that just moved to New York City it was one of the coolest nights I ever had. So I always get a kick out of it being mentioned...even if I've actually only watched it once. It's definitely up there as one of the last "90's" movies, mostly because of the integration of AOL as well as the aspect of large B&M book stores taking over, which were quickly taken over by Amazon in the following decade. I almost felt bad when Louis first said he didn't like the movie. How could you?!?!? :)

Back to the show, I just don't get what they are doing with Jessica. She is so unlikable now, and it isn't even like she is doing crappy things to other people. She is doing it to her own family which makes it 10x worse IMO.  I feel like this show is following Modern Family by ruining the original vibe of the show as well as the characters. They are just doing it at a breakneck speed. I fear that they will ruin Louis soon, whom I still enjoy.

I also have a special place for You've Got Mail, my cousin was in it, but I have poked fun of it for years myself. Especially, why the hell Tom Hanks character had to move out of his apartment while his ex-girlfriend apparently got the place all to herself. At least Fox Sr makes sense, he is waiting for his cheating girlfriend to get her stuff and move out of the mansion and he just wanted to save money than going to a hotel for several weeks.

Back to the show, yes, I mean at this point, how Jessica hasn't been divorced by Lewis, or grandmother hasn't killed her by now makes no sense. Plus, at this point you think Evan would be: "I don't want to be like you mom, because one day I will be alone and everyone will want to run me over with their car." 

• Love 1

I thought this episode was alright.  Not too funny but not horrible.  Some of the "You've Got Mail" references were a fun call-back.  

I actually didn't find Jessica too horrible in this one.  She could be so much worse.  I can understand why she didn't want Evan to date.