Type keyword(s) to search

Derry Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'd vaguely heard of this show, but just finally had it pop up as a recommendation.  I've only watched the first season, so only read comments up to that point, but had to add this thread to my Home Page for later reading after I finish the show, as I love it so far.

I've been to Derry (and, yes, I'm firmly in the Derry, not Londonderry, camp), but well after the Troubles.  This is an interesting look back, at what's universal to girls of that age and what's specific to growing up in that environment.  And it's fun recognizing places in Derry and Belfast (where I've also been).

The actor playing Erin is a bit much for me at times, but I generally enjoy just taking her as reacting broadly - as adolescents already do - to a lot of absurd stuff, whether it be in her family, at school, or in Derry.  I love Michelle (she's such a caricature on paper, but the actor sells is completely) and the nun (such an anti-caricature, I love it!); they're my favorites thus far.

Excellent end to the season one finale, especially with Joe putting his hand on Gerry's shoulder as they watch the news coverage, and the juxtaposition of that horror with the girls and James dancing around so carefree.

• Like 3

I've finished the series, and loved it.  Season three was not as consistently excellent as the first two, but it was still terrific.  And I loved the series finale.  The extended sequence of everyone in the voting booth was just perfect, and it could easily have ended there, but I liked Chelsea Clinton finally getting the letter so we can learn what the Derry girls said in inviting her to hang with them back then.  The delight with which she received it as an adult was perfect.

I'm glad the whole Erin and James thing never went anywhere; it made sense for him to react as he did to his near-death experience and her to react as she did to his declaration, but Michelle was absolutely right.  When he was mooning over the footage of her a year later, I was afraid the writers would pair them up, and quite glad they didn't.  He's best as one of the Derry girls.

This is something I will definitely re-watch.  It's a fantastic slice of life series. 

And I'm oddly tickled by Michelle's recurring use of "Fuck-a-doodle-doo" as that's something I've said for a good 30 years now.  She and the nun remained my favorite characters, but I liked all of them (well, I didn't like Jenny, but she was a fabulous foil, and I like her reaching out to Clare during the funeral procession).

What a treat!  And this as an outsider; I can only imagine - and am glad to have read some of it here - what it felt like to have been personally represented by these girls and be seen in this way.  Terrific series.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
On 12/23/2022 at 12:30 AM, Bastet said:

I've finished the series, and loved it.  Season three was not as consistently excellent as the first two, but it was still terrific.  And I loved the series finale.  The extended sequence of everyone in the voting booth was just perfect, and it could easily have ended there, but I liked Chelsea Clinton finally getting the letter so we can learn what the Derry girls said in inviting her to hang with them back then.  The delight with which she received it as an adult was perfect.

Totally agree with this and the rest of your post, and want to add how perfect the Cranberries song was for the ending. I haven't read the earlier comments yet, but I'm sure many others have commented on the excellent use of music throughout. I could watch the series again just to listen more closely to the music.

• Like 3

What a lovely show that was. Late to the party, and usually find shows like “Girls” annoying because the characters are indecisive and make poor choices. The Derry Girls are different. So much joy and realness, and the parents are each fun in their own way. In the end, I see why Irish women are so capable! One question… is there or is there not a 4th season? I have found online info that indicates both yes and no. Netflix shows 3 seasons, with what looks like a series ending ep at the end of season three. TIA.

• Like 2

I’m watching “holding” on acorn. Sister George Michael is a murder suspect. I wish I could watch the great pottery throw down because I would do pretty much anything for her at this point. 

I finally watched this show and loved it. I grew up in the 90s in Quebec and the music just spoke to me as did all the characters. Thankfully I never had to go through The Troubles, but there has been an ongoing language war here my whole life. I remember my friends skipping school to attend a protest against separating from the rest of Canada before the Referendum vote. I, like Jenny Joyce, stayed behind. Thankfully I wasn't the only one though, lol. 

I keep trying to convince people I know to watch this, and every time I start to quote lines, I suddenly adopt an Irish accent. I'm not even trying to, it just keeps popping out, heh. I wasn't crazy about the finale, but, I will miss these characters a hell of a lot. And I was hoping to see Erin and James hook up. I thought they were sweet together. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Very late to the party - but what a great party it is! I binged over the last week and am so sad that it is over. (I even watched some of the YouTube videos of the cast in real life - taking on the personas of their characters.) Plan to start a re-watch soon. 

I loved everything about the show - especially Ma Mary. I love the scenes with Ma Mary and her family and with the girls (and James) all together. Sister Michael's expressions (and muttered comments) are terrific. I even liked Jenny -particularly when she reached out to Claire after the funeral. 

I could have easily watched more seasons. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I just saw an ad for Irish tourism with the actors who played Erin and Michelle, and when I looked it up online to post here I found a long version as well; effective commercial, as it certainly makes me want to go back:

• Like 3
  • Love 6