Type keyword(s) to search

Hannibal - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Poor Hannibal, locked away in the asylum vault, nibbling on other shows.

For those following the cast in subsequent roles, Mads Mikkelsen has a Netflix move coming out January 25th.  It's a noir-ish movie called Polar, apparently based on a graphic novel.  I'm spoiler averse so I'm avoiding too many other details.

• Love 4

Just saw Hettienne (Beverly) Park in the new HBO series "The Outsider".  She's still in law enforcement, playing a cop/detective.  It's only the first episode - she had 2 quick scenes but hopefully there will be more.

• Love 8
On 1/12/2020 at 9:28 PM, patty1h said:

Just saw Hettienne (Beverly) Park in the new HBO series "The Outsider".  She's still in law enforcement, playing a cop/detective.  It's only the first episode - she had 2 quick scenes but hopefully there will be more.

I want to watch this, but I bought the book when it first came out, and never got around to actually reading it - so I want to read that first. 

• Love 1

It appears to be on CBS.  The articles I've seen say it is set in the 1990s.  If I recall correctly NBC couldn't get the rights to Clarice, and that is why she wasn't a character in Hannibal. 

While they may not have Hannibal Lecter in the announced plans, his shadow will hang over this series, and they might be tempted to bring him in for a ratings boost one day.  However, it wouldn't be anything like the Mikkelsen/Fuller version, since that belongs to NBC.  Or maybe they'll have a Hannibal-lite character.

It may be for the best that this is divorced from Hannibal if it ends up a standard procedural.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just started watching this series and I thought season one was a little slow, mostly cause I didn't care for Abigail, but my goodness season two was so awesome! That season finale was gasp after gasp.

I love all three leads, Jack, Hannibal and Will, all the actors are so good. The show is graphic (I'm surprised it aired on NBC) but the shots are so beautiful as is the scenery and set design.

Can't believe I missed this when it aired, but kind of glad because I think waiting week to week would have been horrible.

Edited to add the music/score is perfect.

Edited by Grumpymonkey
  • Like 1
  • Love 8

I read somewhere that Fuller says that no one's given up on a Season 4. and that a love story between Will and Hannibal might be on the table.

Having just watched Season 3, Ep 10, I have to say that the homoerotic undertones have never been stronger.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Came into this having read all the books and with the movies as my baseline. Had to get through 2 or 3 eps before it started working for me.  I'll probably go back and watch them all again when I finish Season 3; at this point I'm certain that there was a lot that I missed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This is an interview with Bryan Fuller and Hugh Dancy talking about Hannibal. I've only watched 15 minutes so far but it's good and they talk about the potential for the future right from the start which I appreciate. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

There is an "I Love Lucy" movie in the works and it was announced today that Nina Ariadna (Will's wife Molly) has been cast to play Ethel Mertz/Vivian Vance.   I can see it, and I think she'll be great.  

• Love 1

Mads Mikkelsen Admits He Got Very Close to Kissing Hugh Dancy During Final ‘Hannibal’ Scene

“We actually did a couple of takes of the very last scene where we were looking at each other, and it was a little too obvious — it was almost a kiss,” Mikkelsen said. “Me and Hugh were like, ‘Why not? We have a couple of takes. Let’s do one. It might be cool.””

Mikkelsen and Dancy were all in on the kiss between Hannibal and Will, but showrunner Fuller knew such a moment would hit the nail on the head too much. As Mikkelsen explained, “We never went for the kiss. Bryan loved it, but he was like, ‘Too much, guys. It’s too obvious.’ And he was absolutely right.”

“I think we were just stuck on that. And a lot of the Fannibals wanted it as well,” Mikkelsen said about the cut kiss. “It’s been a subject of homoerotic fan art. And for good reason, because they are so united as twins in many ways. But we never wanted it to be a physical thing. It was something much bigger than that.”

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I love that the show still gets so much devotion!

I was disappointed to find out that Hannibal will be leaving Netflix (ETA: and Amazon Prime) in June. I'll have to squeeze in another binge before then.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Love 1

Back in February, I mentioned that a movie about Lucille Ball was being made and would costar Nina (Molly Graham) Ariadna as Ethel Mertz.  The movie will be release in theaters on 12/10 and dropped on Amazon Prime on 12/11.   The trailer in on Youtube if you're curious, though they only show Nina for a couple seconds.

• Love 1

Looked up to a commercial on the TV for movie "Fantastic Beasts:  The Secrets of Dumbledore" and there is Mads and the actor who played Franklin, the lovesick patient, sharing the screen again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I tried watching a few episodes of the Law & Order reboot because of Hugh Dancy (and Sam Waterston), but found it disappointing so I was happy to see Dancy pop up in the Apple TV+ anthology series Roar with Alison Brie in episode 6, The Woman Who Solved Her Own Murder. He's playing a detective and even though his character is pretty terrible, I have a new appreciation for how much better a scruffier look suits him after seeing him clean-shaven in L&O.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Michael Pitt (Mason Verger) is going through it.  I saw a story that he was picked up in Brooklyn after he was caught throwing objects at people on the street and taken for psychiatric evaluation.   I've liked him since first seeing him in the movie "Murder By Numbers" with Ryan Gosling, so I hope whatever he's going through is not serious and he gets help.

• Sad 1