Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Food Truck Race - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was pretty surprised that Wally's still ended up winning despite Bao Bei having that $800 extra from winning the challenges. I didn't understand why if Bao Bei was able to produce those steamed fluffy buns for the origins challenge why they couldn't do it on any of the other days. I understand that the first time they tried it on the first day that it didn't work and so maybe they were afraid to try it again. But what if it hadn't worked for this challenge? Did they have a plan b on what type of bun to use? 

Also, pretty surprised at how many people commented on how they didn't like how dense Wally's waffles were. Wally should have done better job communicating that these were different waffles and/or the foodies weren't as knowledgable as they all claim to be. 

I'm happy for Wally's waffles as they seem like a good team and I'm glad Bao Bei got a lot of exposure for their food which looked delicious. 

• Like 5

I’m glad my local Chicago team won. Wally’s Waffles is frequently at breweries and farmer’s markets near me but I haven’t made it there yet . The team is on Facebook and they always respond to people’s posts.

I actually thought the cards were stacked against them because most of the endless challenges were not geared towards sweet food. Some of them had me shake my head. I like oranges but why would I want a drink, entree and dessert that was orange flavored? 

• Like 6

Although BB got the taste challenges, their food overall takes a lot longer to make. If WW was open for an hour or so before BB then they couldve made more than 1k in that time. Since both teams had to go to the store, BB would be even more behind since their food takes longer to prep.  WW is primarily using pre made chicken so no multi-prep process, just really focus on the waffle.  

I was hoping for BB because I would actually want to eat their food and out of the two trucks they made most if not all things from scratch.  

• Like 5

An FYI I’m in Argentina right now and the empanadas I had today were alarmingly delicious.  I was ready to snark post to everyone I know since I preframed people on the empanada joke.  Jokes on me!

They had 2 flavors without cheese.  One was veal and one was lamb.  I can’t stand lamb and I don’t eat veal, but I got one of each.  The lamb was flavorful but not lamby….the veal was also delicious but what was different was the crust.  Looked like the ones I’ve had but had the texture of a crispy pie crust but not buttery per se.  Of all the food that was ordered this was the most American salted.

other observation I had was the food here is undersalted which actually I took was that our food is over salted.  And nobody likes vegetables here LOL

Now I will be on the look out for authentic Argentinian style empanadas back at home when possible.  A treat!

• Like 4
(edited)

Bao Bei is opening a restaurant in Rockville, MD, next year...

Food Network’s “The Great Food Truck Race” Finalist to Open New Maryland Restaurant
By MCS Staff   August 30, 2024
https://mocoshow.com/2024/08/30/food-networks-the-great-food-truck-race-finalist-to-open-new-maryland-restaurant/ 

Federal Realty has announced that Rockville’s Bao Bei will open at Montrose Crossing in Rockville. What began as a “ghost kitchen” (a restaurant without dining space and no visible storefront, where food is typically sold through third party delivery apps) in 2022, Bao Bei features a variety of Taiwanese street food dishes from baos to hearty bowls, side dishes and more. Chef Kevin Hsieh, a 2013 graduate of Gaithersburg High School, curates a dining experience that preserves tradition and offers authentic Taiwanese flavors.

“Bao Bei,” a term of endearment in Taiwanese, describes someone or something you treasure deeply,” said Chef Kevin Hsieh. “A tribute to my family, I will share my culture with the community through Bao Bei’s dishes.” The 1,903 square-foot restaurant will be located at 12055 Rockville Pike, next to Honey Pig and Kosmo Nail Bar and is projected to open in winter 2025. The current location, at 11910 Parklawn Dr. will likely close a few weeks prior to the new space’s opening, Hsieh tells us.

“We welcome Chef Kevin and Bao Bei to Montrose Crossing,” said Joseph Byrnes, Vice President, Regional Leasing, Federal Realty. “Bao Bei will be a savory addition to our merchant lineup offering another premium, innovative restaurant to this shopping and dining destination.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 6
On 8/31/2024 at 9:03 AM, tv echo said:

Bao Bei is opening a restaurant in Rockville, MD, next year...

Food Network’s “The Great Food Truck Race” Finalist to Open New Maryland Restaurant
By MCS Staff   August 30, 2024
https://mocoshow.com/2024/08/30/food-networks-the-great-food-truck-race-finalist-to-open-new-maryland-restaurant/ 

That makes me so happy. I used to live in that area and my best friend's parents still do, so maybe I will get a chance to visit.

• Like 3