Type keyword(s) to search

Glee - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/6/2019 at 10:13 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Congratulations to Darren Criss for winning a Golden Globe!

Best Actor, Limited Series or TV Movie
Darren Criss, "American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace"

It was a clean Awards sweep - Emmy, Critics Choice, Golden Globe and SAG. To say this was, thus far, the role of his career, would be an understatement. 

• Love 3

Alex Newell joins The Scarlet Pimpernel concert at Lincoln Center

Casting is complete for Manhattan Concert Productions' upcoming staging of the celebrated musical The Scarlet Pimpernel. The previously announced production, directed by Tony nominee Gabriel Barre and music-directed by Jason Howland, will appear for one night at Lincoln Center's David Geffen Hall on February 18, 2019 at 8:00pm. 

New to the cast is Alex Newell (Once on This Island) as Farleigh, Kevin Duda (Beautiful) as Elton/Coupeau, John Treacy Egan (My Fair Lady) as Ozzy, Chris Dwan (Finding Neverland) as Hal/Tussaud, Kevin Kern (Finding Neverland) as Ben/Mercier, Eliseo Román (On Your Feet!) as Dewhurst, Ashley Loren (Jekyll & Hyde) as Helene and Yasmeen Sulieman (Beautiful) as Chloe, with Alysha Deslorieux, Ashley Blanchet, TyNia Brandon and Sara Sheperd completing the ensemble.

They join the previously announced Tony nominee Tony Yazbeck as Percy Blakeney, Tony nominee Laura Osnes as Marguerite, Tony nominee Norm Lewis as Chauvelin, Corey Cott as Armand, Drew Gehling as Prince of Wales/Robespierre and Dana Costello as Marie.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:00 PM, truthaboutluv said:

It was a clean Awards sweep - Emmy, Critics Choice, Golden Globe and SAG. To say this was, thus far, the role of his career, would be an understatement. 

His career probably still has many years to go, but this role was certainly a perfect fit, coming at the right time in his life (he might look too old in just a few years). But aside from the age and shared ethnicity , it seems his acting skills were also a major necessary factor, as recognized by various groups of awards voters who know a thing or two about these things.

Perhaps his next venture will be another personal milestone, voicing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle in an animated movie due this Spring.

I believe he showed himself to be a fan of TMNT in the past.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 1
On 2/21/2019 at 5:05 PM, Lovecat said:

And it was...quite the affair.

Quite elaborate and memorable indeed from the looks of it, with music all around (it's almost as if it was an attendance condition for guests that they agree to perform a song or two). 😉

Max Adler posted a group picture of some of the Glee people in attendance. DC is wearing the traditional Filipino shirt referred to in the article Lovecat linked to.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, marymon said:

Some wasn't that all the glee people in attendance?

John Stamos was there and I haven't searched for a complete guest list, hence the open wording in case some other people involved with the show were there.

7 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

John Stamos was there and I haven't searched for a complete guest list, hence the open wording in case some other people involved with the show were there.

yea I heard he was there but I do not even think he and Darren worked together on glee so he was maybe there for  some other connection.  

Those mention here are the only one there. 

• Useful 1
On 3/2/2019 at 5:10 PM, marymon said:

yea I heard he was there but I do not even think he and Darren worked together on glee so he was maybe there for  some other connection.  

Rewriting my initial criteria to limit things to only people DC appeared with on-screen in Glee would indeed lead to excluding Stamos. But I had been more general, also leaving open the option of some crew and production people attending. The info you usefully report indicates there were no other Glee people in attendance.

(edited)

DC appears in a new Taco Bell ad campaign masquerading as a trailer for an imaginary movie. Very amusing and deliberately cheesy as he himself described it in a tweet. High production values and a convincing parodic storyline; I wonder if some people might be fooled (at least temporarily) and will expect that movie to really turn up on their screens, This is part of an ongoing series and will be screened in cinemas during the summer (in the US I assume, although there are Taco Bell franchises in Canada also).

Note what happens to the piano at the end; an intended Glee reference or just a creative coincidence?

ETA: You can listen to the complete song at the end of this article and appreciate the full cheesiness of the lyrics. You can also view the previous installments in this ad campaign.

Edited by Florinaldo
On 4/30/2019 at 9:25 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ali Stroker has been nominated for a Tony!

Best Featured Actress in a Musical
Lilli Cooper, Tootsie
Amber Gray, Hadestown
Sarah Stiles, Tootsie
Ali Stroker, Oklahoma!
Mary Testa, Oklahoma!

Ali won a Tony!!

Her performance of "I Cain't Say No" during the broadcast was excellent; I do not remember her being as impressive while on The Glee Project and in her one-off episode of Glee, but of course she has had a few years to mature and train her voice.

DC is set to star in a series on Quibis, the short form service founded by Jeffrey Katzenberg and led by Meg Whitman. The service will offer short segments, around 10 minutes or less. DC will also act as executive producer and compose songs for the show. The subject sounds like having niche appeal, but these days it is difficult to predict what creations will unexpectedly click with enough viewers. The premise seems well suited for the short length though and the Web is very hungry for content.

I thought DC's take on Prince Eric at the Hollywood Bowl was very pleasant and charming, where they were singing songs from the movie. Would he have been able to sustain it for a whole evening in this production? Especially if it is staged along the lines of the Broadway musical, which is a reworking and sounds like it may be more in the tradition of the big belting shows. He had no problems lasting the evening when I saw him perform in Hedwig, but it's in a very different vocal character (as is How to Succeed in Business).

Anyway, like several other Glee alumni he is keeping busy with other projects, including being part of the revival American Buffalo by David Mamet on Broadway.

There's also this new tidbit; I find the concept of such an award a bit odd. Anyway, he got one for ACS: Versace and if you scroll down the list you will also find Jane Lynch's name for her stint as Sue (as well as Ryan Murphy's, a few times over).

Edited by Florinaldo

So Melissa Benoist (Marley), did a video today, detailing her experience as a victim of domestic violence. It's pretty harrowing stuff, including being held down and punched and slapped repeatedly, having her head slammed into a wall and eventually having a phone thrown at her that caused permanent damage to one of her eyes. 

She doesn't name her abuser, BUT let's just say based on a number of things she said, like the timing of some of the incidents and her abuser being younger than her, that most are convinced she's talking about Blake Jenner.

And that's of course causing quite the reaction, especially since most people to this point were always positive they broke up because she cheated on him with her current husband. 

People Magazine article about the video.

Edited by truthaboutluv

Poor Melissa. It’s horrible that she had to go through that. 

She did mention that Blake would get jealous of her dancing with another man at work. Glee is the most likely job she is referring too.

Edited by Pink ranger
  • Love 1

Well that didn't take long. If there was still any doubt at all that she's clearly talking about Blake, the Internet stay bringing those receipts. Someone pulled up this clip from an interview she did on The Tonight Show, right before Supergirl premiered.

Note the story about her eye injury and even creepier, her joking that she looked like squirt from Finding Nemo. The exact thing she says in the video her partner jokingly said to her as they waited in the hospital while she had this injury. And that's why people always say, you never know the truth about anyone's life.

'Kevin McHale and Jenna Ushkowitz are hosting a Glee recap podcast'

News for you, Gleeks: EW can exclusively reveal that Kevin McHale and Jenna Ushkowitz are recapping season 1 of Ryan Murphy’s musical teen dramedy Glee for a podcast.

Starting Jan. 16, the duo who played Artie and Tina on the long-running Fox series (2009-2015), will host Showmance: The Glee Recap for PodcastOne. This will be the second season for McHale and Ushkowitz — the two started recording Showmance last March to chat about their relationship on- and off-screen. But the subject of Glee was raised so much they decided to recap the show.

“Throughout the season, it just felt like all of it was Glee love,” Ushkowitz tells EW. “Our Glee fans followed our careers after Glee, and our listeners just wanted more Glee, so we decided to give them what they were asking for!”

Lea Michele (Rachel) will be the featured guest on the premiere episode, which, naturally, starts with the Glee pilot. “Kevin and I are wanting to re-watch the show anyway,” Ushkowitz says. “It won’t be too structured. There should be so many new things [to talk about]. Personal moments, reflections now that we may not have wanted to share before. We have such vivid memories about what we were feeling then.”

“I feel like there are these older Glee fans,” she continued. “Enough time has passed by to revisit it for the newer fans who were too young to watch it in real-time.”

The podcast is part of the LadyGang Network on PodcastOne. It can also be downloaded on Apple.

• Love 1

I’m torn between laughing and being a little ticked that they didn’t include Lea to have the full OG club (minus Cory). Also laughing that Darren will be there - dude never passes up an opportunity to be on screen!

• Love 3
11 hours ago, shantown said:

Also laughing that Darren will be there - dude never passes up an opportunity to be on screen!

Couldn't you say much the same thing about everyone in the entertainment industry (including the other Glee alumni who will be part of this event), save a few lofty and privileged characters? It's part of their job to be visible, since they are freelancers; it ensures they remain in the minds of casting agents and producers. It's roughly the equivalent of regularly sending out your résumé to prospective employers or networking during trade shows or professional events (not these days, of course) for people with regular jobs.

Plus, they are doing a good deed with this endeavour, which may be an extra (and sincere) motivation for a number of them.

Edited by Florinaldo
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Some of the original Broadway cast of Spring Awakening reunited for Stars in the House

This one and the few others I have sampled from the link I posted above follow the same general pattern: anecdotes, friendly ribbbing, inquiries about what projects got disrupted by the pandemic and nostalgic reminiscences, with variations according to the personalities in each cast. I will assume this is what we can expect for the Glee one.

I wonder if that formula of public get-togethers by telepresence will continue after the health situation goes back to near-normal. Probably not as numerous as in recent days, but perhaps more frequently than before the confinement started. Some technical bugs will need to be corrected, especially when someone breaks into song; the efficiency of the various home pick-up mikes is variable and so is the quality of the resulting audio, and there are frequent drop-outs. Also, since the singers do not have monitor speakers they sometimes cannot follow their own performance and adjust accordingly. This was particularly prevalent in the Rosie O'Donnell on-line show of 2 weeks ago, where performers like Patti LuPone, Titus Burgess, Ben Platt etc. frequently faltered because of that; add to that the fact that they sang without a real warm-up.

But these Stars in the House clips are mostly talking rather than singing and do not systematically feature musical performances like the O'Donnell show did. They are generally rather long affairs. It will be interesting to see what dynamics the former Gleeks will sustain with each other, now that 5 years have passed since the show went off the air.

Chris Colfer's writing career is going strong.  His latest work " A Tale of Magic" which apparently is the start of a new series, has been on the New York Times Best Sellers list for 23 weeks (and counting) the most for any of his books.

• Love 2