Type keyword(s) to search

Laurel Lance: Black Canary, Black Siren.

• Start Topic

As I recall, both Diggle and Oliver (and Roy at first) told Laurel a number of times that she wasn't ready to be a fighter while Felicity's speeches were pro Laurel fighting.  I wonder why the split, was it about Girl Power?  Laurel/Felicity bonding?  Superhero-maker Felicity anointing Laurel?

The problem was that there had been zero effort put into making them friendly in earlier Laurel/Felicity scenes, both on the writing and the acting front.  For the first two seasons, Laurel had dismissed Felicity, either by ignoring her while Felicity complimented her or by denigrating Felicity (e.g. telling Oliver to fire Felicity and hire Laurel herself.  Yes, she was drunk but in vino veritas).

And suddenly, pow!  Laurel and Felicity are friends and Felicity is supporting Laurel over the objections of the rest of her Team.

I was trying to think what might have made those scenes better for me:

In the scene when Laurel has decided she's going to hang up her suit and Felicity tells her to keep fighting, I wish they had had Felicity say something like "it takes time to be a fighter like Sara, Oliver, Diggle or even Roy.  You're not there yet so keep learning. But you don't have to give up because you can help this city."

In Canaries, Felicity should have said "you have different light inside you than Sara had but you have a light and this city needs you."  MG deserved the anger of fans who pointed out that Sara was the one who had a light, not Laurel, because Sara was fighting so that "no woman should suffer at the hands of a man" while Laurel was fighting because it made her feel better to beat up people.

Maybe when they shot the episode in the fall, they thought that Laurel would just slip into the place of Sara on the show. I wonder if the outraged reaction when the "light inside you" scene aired contributed to prompting the EPs to revive Sara for the spin-off they were hoping to get.

• Love 11

I agree that we never saw Laurel and Felicity become friends, so that made their scenes seem forced and out of place. I don't like Laurel. I doubt I ever will, but it would have helped if her "transformation" to BC and intragation to the team hadn't seem so forced.

Plus Oliver always looked like she was an annoying knat he wanted to swat. That also didn't help, though I understood his feelings.

• Love 5

A gentle reminder that it's fine to discuss your own feelings on Laurel in this thread. Discussions of other people's feelings or views (including subgroups of the Arrow fandom) isn't on topic and generally ends in tears (often your mod's).

You guys have been doing a great job at keeping things civil, but it's getting repetitive and it's time to move on.

• Love 2

Finding mutual shoulders in Oliver's absence would have been a good idea and the show should have done it.  But part of the problem was that Laurel didn't really seem all that upset that Oliver was gone.  I liked her attitude in the scene when she tells Diggle, Roy and Felicity that Oliver has been declared dead and come back before but other than that, it didn't really seem to affect her.

It's partly a failure of the writing.  I can think of four scenes in s2 in which Sara is friendly with/appreciative of Felicity, The only scene with Laurel was when Felicity was crying on Laurel's shoulder.at the end of 3x20.

• Love 4

They really didn't even try with the Laurel Felicity friendship.I kinda had hope they would do it right after Felicity asked her "are we favor friends" but no they went straight to insta friends and Felicity proping her while trashing Sara.

I never wanted to see them as friends but if they developed it well I wouldn't have hated it.

Sara and Felicity had nice moments together that made me believe they were friends.It didn't even take much just a couple of scenes of them being nice to each other,of Sara not asking for things like Felicity is working for her,of Sara never using Felicity to sell her arc.They did all those things with Laurel so I will never buy any friendship with Felicity since it wasn't earned.

• Love 4

The only scene with Laurel was when Felicity was crying on Laurel's shoulder.at the end of 3x20.

And that scene came across as incredibly awkward (in my opinion).

I'm all for female friendship. I completely support Laurel and Nyssa. But Laurel and Felicity just does not work for me on any level. I'm not saying I want them to be antagonistic toward each other - I don't. But pretty much every interaction between them other than that one brief moment in Left Behind has come across to me as forced and inauthentic. Laurel and Nyssa? Sure go for it. Laurel and Thea? Makes complete sense to me. Laurel and Felicity? No. Sorry. Not unless they can somehow make it feel more organic and natural than it has so far seemed to be to me.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 8

I think the key to making a friendship between Felicity and Laurel work is too let them have some neutral interactions that are not directly about either of them.  That way no one is propping anyone.  Really all it would have taken was a nice lunch date or a couple mutually supportive conversations over coffee. But I guess TPTB weren't interested in creating a strong friendship. 

At this point, I think they do have a friendly relationship but despite Laurel definitely being 'on the team' and someone Felicity trusts and supports (and I suppose vice versa) I still don't see them as actual friends.  What I mean is that if the secret vigilante club went away, I don't see them still wanting to just hang out.   On either side. 

Honestly, it's uncomfortable for me, so at this point I WANT them to develop a real friendship but I don't have a lot of faith that the show runners would be willing to spend the needed time on it unless they decide to sent Felicity and Laurel on their own adventure where things could get stressful enough to make tempers flare and a few carefully avoided truths come out that then could be addressed and allow the characters to move forward with a clean slate. 

It's not that I think either character actively thinks bad things about the other but I think scenes like in season two where Laurel while drunk suggested Oliver fire Felicity and hire her instead reveals there is some sort of resentment from Laurel toward Felicity and from Felicity's standpoint, for a long time she seemed to feel like she couldn't measure up to gorgeous Laurel.  I don't think for either of them are their issues deep seated, but it IMO has left a divide between them that makes their interactions on screen feel like they are always a little stilted. 

Likely nothing big or overt like that will happen, so I guess I'll hope for that little things, like Felicity specifically inquiring how Laurel (and also the same to Thea) has been coping mentally while they were gone or ask if things have gotten better with her father.  The kind of normal concern and curiosity you'd expect.  That said, I DO NOT want Laurel asking how things are going with Oliver.  Just TOO icky for me.    From Laurel, I would just want maybe her being willing to open up and also I desperately want her to use please and thank you when she makes her 'requests'. 

Think how much better Laurel would have come off if she had said to Felicity in 3-2 "I need to see what is happening.  Please, can you pull up cameras?"   It's not about making Laurel kiss Felicity's ass, it's about showing respect.  That is what being polite is about and it's something we are normally willing to offer strangers, so it shouldn't be so hard to offer it to someone who is supposed to be friend. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 7

Hopefully the writers do expand on their friendship this season and give us some downtime scenes instead of making it all work. That was one of the highlights for me when it came to Laurel/Nyssa, that one scene of them going out to eat together and being "normal" was great. I want a girls night out episode.

• Love 2

Laurel/Nyssa friendship is easier to accept even without the french fry/bonding scenes because Laurel and Nyssa have more things in common -- they're strong women who know their own worth and go after what they want no matter what anyone else says or thinks, and they both have conflicts with their fathers.  There is a naturalness to their friendship above and beyond their connection to Sara.

Laurel and Felicity are like oil and water.  Even Thea, despite the age difference, has more in common with Laurel than Felicity does, and that's even without bringing in that Laurel suggested Oliver fire Felicity and hire her instead because she was out of a job at the moment (that was a horrible thing to write for Laurel) or her dismissal of Diggle and Felicity at the end of s2.  That's why they need to have neutral scenes, as BkWurm1 said, so that we can understand why we should consider them as friends.

And then they can write scenes where Felicity tells Laurel how great she is.

• Love 3

Friendships have to be mutually beneficial. Did Laurel ever help Felicity with anything? Did she ever prop her up or offer advice? Or was it only Felicity doing things for Laurel? 

While with Felicity and Sara, we saw Sara recognizing how much Felicity and Diggle helped Oliver, we saw Felicity accepting Sara as a person and not as just a killer, we saw that when Felicity felt left out, Sara was the one that noticed and tried to help. Then we saw Felicity save Sara's life and saw Sara patching her up. And finally according to Caity we saw that Sara realized that Felicity was the one Oliver wanted to be with and she dropped some hints for Oliver to go for it. We saw that Sara generally liked Felicity and Felicity liked Sara. 

• Love 7

They didn't become best friends but their relationship was obviously growing from associates to friends by the end of the season. Felicity was there for Laurel and Laurel was there for Felicity. Laurel has complimented Felicity and certainly didn't take her for granted. When Felicity needed a shoulder to cry on about Oliver leaving to NP, Laurel was there to console her. It might have been 1 scene for Laurel being there for her but it is all the beginning of something that will hopefully be expanded upon.

Edited by Primal Slayer
  • Love 1

I have low expectations for a LL/FS friendship because these writers do not value or prioritize friendship. They dropped Joanna. They seemed to forget LL&TQ were friends. The writers couldn't even write a sisterly friendship between SL & LL. Nyssa was a convenient friendship cuz it could train LL and give a reason for al-sha-him to come to SC. Why would the writers bother to try an actual friendship between LL & FS in s4? If there is going to be a LL friendship this season I think it would be w TQ.

Honestly I could careless if there is a friendship between LL & FS. I just want LL to organically fit into the foundry this season. I have no investments in her friendships, so long as there is harmonious group work being done. For me she didn't belong anywhere in s3 & I just want her to find a place. Her arcs might have not had been integrated to OQ in s1&2, but at least she didn't always seem like a tag-a-long or afterthought.

• Love 2

How did she dismiss Diggle and Felicity at the end of season 2? By calling them Olivers partners? By asking them to give her/Ollie a minute to talk?

This was 2x21 right? I never understood why people think she dismissed Felicity/Diggle in that scene. I think people overreacted. Maybe they're referring to when she asked to be Oliver's eyes & ears. I still don't think she meant any harm. She just wanted to help.

• Love 1

They didn't become best friends but their relationship was obviously growing from associates to friends by the end of the season. Felicity was there for Laurel and Laurel was there for Felicity. Laurel has complimented Felicity and certainly didn't take her for granted. When Felicity needed a shoulder to cry on about Oliver leaving to NP, Laurel was there to console her. It might have been 1 scene for Laurel being there for her but it is all the beginning of something that will hopefully be expanded upon.

Yes, Laurel did let Felicity cry literally on her shoulder but the way it was set up, it looked like Felicity was going to go inform Laurel about what happened to Oliver and just broke down.  I'm very glad that Laurel showed her compassion but even a lot of total strangers would have reacted like that if someone fell apart in front of them like that.  It's not enough to show that they have more than a surface relationship.  They could have built on that moment in the next episodes but they didn't.  And really, that's not a problem as long as what relationship LL and FS have in the future remains balanced. 

They are not required to be buddies, but since I think the show is going to write them as friends at least to some degree, I just need it built up more realistically and evenly before I can watch it without getting an uneasy feeling. 

• Love 2

This was 2x21 right? I never understood why people think she dismissed Felicity/Diggle in that scene. I think people overreacted. Maybe they're referring to when she asked to be Oliver's eyes & ears. I still don't think she meant any harm. She just wanted to help.

I really think it does come down to attitude and the blocking during that scene.  Laurel comes in very in control and stiff and her tone to Diggle and Felicity is perfectly polite but devoid of any acknowledgment of them as anything but workers or underlings or servants.  Earlier she calls them his partners but her body language again was very lady of the manor.  For me it was how the line was read by KC and the show runners had already done her no favors by having  LL physically move into the space Felicity was standing in  prompting Felicity to have to move out of the way, thus ceding her spot right next to Oliver to Laurel.  The line  "will you give us a moment", again, said very politely but cold and she stared them down until they left.  It left a bad taste in my mouth. 

Of course what made me completely loose respect for Laurel was how she buried the lead about Sebastian Blood and instead threw an emotional but empty argument at him first.  And only after he admits he has no way to stop Slade, only then does Laurel share the important news.  Sigh.  I am better off not remembering Laurel in season 2

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 5

I have low expectations for a LL/FS friendship because these writers do not value or prioritize friendship. They dropped Joanna. They seemed to forget LL&TQ were friends. The writers couldn't even write a sisterly friendship between SL & LL. Nyssa was a convenient friendship cuz it could train LL and give a reason for al-sha-him to come to SC. Why would the writers bother to try an actual friendship between LL & FS in s4? If there is going to be a LL friendship this season I think it would be w TQ.

I don't trust that the writers or maybe I should say I don't trust that MG can write great female friendships. Especially with his tendency to erase one thing in order to make another work. I enjoyed some of the LL/FS moments in S3. I'm hoping that WM will step up & write great organic interactions between the ladies.

As for Laurel & Sara, I enjoyed them so much in the last couple of S2 episodes. Those episodes highlighted their relationship. It was about them instead of Oliver. I was reminded that Laurel was a big sister when she gave Sara words of encouragement in 2x22. Sara seems very vulnerable around Laurel & she brings out a softer side in Laurel. They were repairing their relationship so I was puzzled when they killed her off in 3x01. I was hoping she would be the one to train Laurel. Maybe we will see them fighting together in S4. I think CL is filming 4x07. Maybe Sara will give her some tips. I'm just really excited that she's back & I'm looking forward to the focus on the Lance sisters relationship.

I still think KC's comment about Laurel being involved with LoT includes more than her resurrecting Sara.

People seem to forget that, I thought that scene was very special. It also cemented the torch passing of the Romantic Lead title from Laurel to Felicity. I also like your idea of a girl's night out. Maybe when Sara comes back from the dead they can get her,Laurel, Nyssa, Thea and Felicity out for an "I can't believe how fucked up my life is" girl's night.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2

How did she dismiss Diggle and Felicity at the end of season 2? By calling them Olivers partners? By asking them to give her/Ollie a minute to talk?

Again, it was partly the writing and partly the acting.  Laurel referred to Diggle and Felicity as Oliver's partners which seemed to dismiss them as people. In s3, she would have said "I reached out to Diggle and Felicity", naming them as  an indication that she thought of them individuals rather than the generic partners.  Asking them to give her and Oliver a moment alone was also dismissive of them and their relationship to Oliver. There was nothing private in what Laurel had to say to Oliver.  I think if Laurel had used their names, or looked directly at them as she was asking, acknowledging that she was essentially asking them to leave their home turf, it might not have grated so much.

Yes, Laurel did let Felicity cry literally on her shoulder but the way it was set up, it looked like Felicity was going to go inform Laurel about what happened to Oliver and just broke down.  I'm very glad that Laurel showed her compassion but even a lot of total strangers would have reacted like that if someone fell apart in front of them like that.  It's not enough to show that they have more than a surface relationship.  They could have built on that moment in the next episodes but they didn't.  And really, that's not a problem as long as what relationship LL and FS have in the future remains balanced.

That's the way I saw the scene too, that Felicity thought Laurel should be told what happened but when she started to say it, she broke down.  I didn't see it as Felicity going to Laurel to cry on her shoulder.

I think there should be more female friendships on the show.  Laurel/Nyssa and Laurel/Thea made sense, as did Laurel/Joanna when she was on the show.  Laurel/Felicity going from 0 to 100 in 2 scenes and Felicity being the one to tell Laurel what a good fighter she is and has a light in her just showed the weakness of the writing.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 10

Forced female friendship fails. Laurel and Felicity. Sigh. For me, the Laurel has a Light speech written for Felicity to deliver was a particularly repugnant piece of Sara character assassination. IMO it was unapologetic propping. Sara post the training mat mambo is not a character that I especially enjoy (though I have immense respect for Caity Lotz's martial abilities), but the systematic assault of the writers on the qualities they'd previously established for her was unconscionable. It certainly did nothing to lend any credibility for me to Laurel's BC arc. 

• Love 13

Referring to people as someones partners dismisses them as people? Laurel isn't allowed to talk to Oliver alone after finding out he is the Arrow? They were talking about some personal stuff that she didn't feel like others needed to be around for. Oh well, we see it different ways so, I can only look forward to the future and hope the writers right some of their wrongs and continue to develop everyones relationships with one another. 

• Love 1

Referring to people as someones partners dismisses them as people? Laurel isn't allowed to talk to Oliver alone after finding out he is the Arrow?

I feel like this has already been addressed here:

Again, it was partly the writing and partly the acting.  Laurel referred to Diggle and Felicity as Oliver's partners which seemed to dismiss them as people. In s3, she would have said "I reached out to Diggle and Felicity", naming them as  an indication that she thought of them individuals rather than the generic partners.  Asking them to give her and Oliver a moment alone was also dismissive of them and their relationship to Oliver. There was nothing private in what Laurel had to say to Oliver.  I think if Laurel had used their names, or looked directly at them as she was asking, acknowledging that she was essentially asking them to leave their home turf, it might not have grated so much.

And to be honest, nothing she told Oliver was confidential or personal, nothing she told Oliver required them to be alone. IIRC (and I may be wrong because I'm going on 32 hours without sleep and my memory is a bit hazy) Felicity/Diggle had the courtesy of keeping LL in the loop when she was asking about him and when push came to shove, they called her into the Arrow Cave in order to help Oliver. So in essence they deserved to be there. 

The yardstick I'm using for LL not saying anything too personal is Felicity's speech earlier in the episode which was more personal than LLs weird "I know you like I know my own name" speech.

No one is saying LL/OQ didn't deserve a conversation alone, but that wasn't a moment to have one. IMO they had a more poignant moment alone when OQ told LL about Tommy and his last moments. THAT required a moment alone and no one here ever begrudged them for that moment, I think. 

But you're right. I don't think anyone can come to a conclusion here, so it's probably best to drop the argument seeing as it's going nowhere and no one is going to change their minds anytime soon so... 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 3

Does anybody know if Laurel has continued her training with Nyssa over the past 5 months?

KC just did a panel at a con in Baltimore. According to people that were live tweeting she couldn't really talk about anything b/c of contracts but she said she's really excited to see where BC goes.

Edited by SmoakingLove

I honestly hate how they say it's a key 'Bc' moment. No. I don't give a damn about the mask. Make me care for the character behind it. Put the effort into developing a character that has monumentally regressed in the past few seasons.

Honestly, show. It's like none of them care about Laurel Lance, they only care about the mask which isn't the case with the other masks on the show

I honestly hate how they say it's a key 'Bc' moment. No. I don't give a damn about the mask. Make me care for the character behind it. Put the effort into developing a character that has monumentally regressed in the past few seasons.

Honestly, show. It's like none of them care about Laurel Lance, they only care about the mask which isn't the case with the other masks on the show

I agree.I feel like with Laurel they have difficulty writing her and they thought her becoming BC would be the solution to all the problems with the character so they focus on the mask with her.

I don't get the hyping of her getting a bike,if that is her big BC moment.Everyone had a bike.Sara,Oliver,Roy and even Thea is getting one but they're only making a big deal about Laurel.IMO its because they don't know what to do with her even as BC so they focus on superficial stuff like the bike,Canary Cry or her costume.

• Love 4

Seems both Arrow and LOT are having photoshoots today. I find it weird KC is missing.

I think it's just EBR and WH at the photoshoot from Arrow because they're the only ones from the main cast that don't have updated photos. KC had some as BC from the Superhero Fight Club shoot. SA and DR had some in their new costumes.

Updated individual photos would be great, I would think they would take advantage of the opportunity and do another group one. But who knows, maybe they are avoiding it given the previous responses.

Is it odd they are doing them so late? The show starts in a couple weeks.

It could be more then that. Since Stephen was supposed to have a live facebook thingy and it never hapened. Majority of the cast is in Vancouver.

There was an interesting post I saw on social media from KC (i think it was from her twitter) that had her taking a picture from an airplane window of a plane over city lights and the tag was "learned a lot" or something like that. Who knows if it means nothing or something. But if there is more to why she wasn't at the photos, then this could be another clue as to why new pictures might not be needed if she is not continuing one beyond a certain episode (but this is 100% pure speculation). I guess we'll all find out soon.

Honestly, it was probably because they didn't need to do new shots of KC after the fight club promos. CW will probably just photoshop over existing photos anyway if they do need something. There has not been anything that has really changed in KC's role or appearance since the spring. I can see how they would need new ones for EBR & WH, because there have been changes since the original photos were taken 3 or so yrs ago. EBR is older looking with a more professional wardrobe. WH needs her Speedy shots. SA & DR have new costumes to take pics in. KC got her new shots in the spring.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3

They could be doing individual shots and using those to create one group one. They could be using KCs stunt double as a stand in and then photoshopping her head on, not saying they did that for the fight club promo, but wouldn't dismiss it either.

What did she say at the con that was weird?

• Love 3

What did she say at the con that was weird?

I think the weirdest thing for me was that she said that she's an Olicity shipper. I saw that on my dash and couldn't believe it but apparently someone at the con tweeted that. IDK it was weird for me because of everything she's said re:loliver and how she (in a round about way and probably doesn't mean it) puts down Felicity's role as love interest (which isn't her only role).

Kudos to her for letting go of the Loliver thing though. Let go of all that toxicity :p

I really do hope that was a mistranslation because I just found that really weird. 

Isn't Katie's hair blonder now? And different from her Canary wig? That's one reason for new photos.

I guess that might be a reason, but to me that's photoshoppable. But honestly, I could careless if she gets new photos or not. The ones from the spring are good enough for me.

It would surprise me if she was calling herself an Olicity shipper. Her not championing Oliver and Laurel anymore is common-sense given the story but I never expected her to be a fan of Olicity (for a variety of reasons). It's odd to me but maybe the higher ups asked her to say something or maybe she decided it would be better for her.

I try not to read too much into her social media or interviews.

• Love 1

I think the weirdest thing for me was that she said that she's an Olicity shipper. I saw that on my dash and couldn't believe it but apparently someone at the con tweeted that. IDK it was weird for me because of everything she's said re:loliver and how she (in a round about way and probably doesn't mean it) puts down Felicity's role as love interest (which isn't her only role).

Kudos to her for letting go of the Loliver thing though. Let go of all that toxicity :p

People tend to toe the company line when they realize they are expendable. I feel like she thought things would eventually go back her way, but now it looks like its probably won't happen. I know she is all zen about not being a LI, but the fact that they haven't brought her in a guest star to act with, must hurt just a little. Or the old adage always works - if you can't beat them, join them :)

But seriously it was weirder for me that she wants to take SA in the ring. I don't get her need to always directly challenge him to physical stunts - first the salmon ladder, now this fight thing. He's been doing stunts for over 3 years now and spent the off season training for WWE. It's naive to think her year of training (being generous here) is enough to seriously challenge him. I really think she should learn to focus on herself and stop trying to attach herself to him & what he can do. We get it KC, you've been working out and training, why not just tell the audience about all the great new skills or martial art/stunt schools you have been studying under. IDK, it just always feels a little like she's trying to hard when it comes to SA.

• Love 7

If they told her that Lauriver was not going to happen, it would get her goodwill to support Olicity now.  Challenging SA in the ring is weirder.

There have been so many Laurel rumors swirling around, I'm not going to believe anything until I see it on TV.

• Love 1