Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: The Intransigence of Love

Thank God I didnt read the episode description, that would have ruined the fun! I kind of wish we had gotten to see the actual characters, but Jimmy and Gretchen going from wedding planner to wedding planner, telling increasingly ridiculous How We Met stories and drinking their free booze is just so...them. 

"I write movie reviews at the Big Paris Newspaper!" So many 90s movie cliches, I love it.

• Love 2

Fucking brilliant. Just pleasant and funny and touching. 

And I'd forgotten just how much chemistry those two have together. The scene where they broke the 4th wall -- just the smiles and the comfort they have with each other. The other two were good, too. but Falk and Cash are flat out amazing together. 

I'm sure others will disagree, but it was just a great 33 minutes, and now i'm mad I have to wait a week for the next one. 

• Love 6

I really enjoyed this episode, partly because I loved seeing Jimmy act like the hero in a romantic comedy, which is the exact opposite of sarcastic/angry/superior Jimmy. The actress who played Gemma did a great job of capturing Gretchen without doing a straight up imitation. As soon as she asked who Jake was, she immediately reminded me of Gretchen.

All of the 90s stuff totally cracked me up, from the clothes and the video store to the Y2K party ("We're going to a rave!").

Have we ever been told how old Gretchen and Jimmy are? In real life Aya Cash and Chris Geere were born in 1982 and 1981 which means they would have been 17 and 18 in 1999 (the beginning of the episode took place in 1997 - Princess Diana died in August of that year). Regardless of their actual ages, I was wondering how many couples the wedding planner meets who have waited almost 20 years to get married.  I mean, it definitely happens in real life but still.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I really enjoyed this episode, partly because I loved seeing Jimmy act like the hero in a romantic comedy, which is the exact opposite of sarcastic/angry/superior Jimmy. The actress who played Gemma did a great job of capturing Gretchen without doing a straight up imitation. As soon as she asked who Jake was, she immediately reminded me of Gretchen.

All of the 90s stuff totally cracked me up, from the clothes and the video store to the Y2K party ("We're going to a rave!").

Have we ever been told how old Gretchen and Jimmy are? In real life Aya Cash and Chris Geere were born in 1982 and 1981 which means they would have been 17 and 18 in 1999 (the beginning of the episode took place in 1997 - Princess Diana died in August of that year). Regardless of their actual ages, I was wondering how many couples the wedding planner meets who have waited almost 20 years to get married.  I mean, it definitely happens in real life but still.

Yeah, the era confused me a little because Gretchen and Jimmy seem a little young for that time period.  But the showrunner is 46 so all of the Generation X stuff must be fun for him to write and as a fellow GenXer I appreciated the nostalgia as well.  Although I sprained my ankle from falling off the chair that I was dancing on during the Y2K festivities, but I digress.

I will admit that despite the nostalgia I was getting a little impatient for Jimmy and Gretchen to show up and I may have squealed when they did, all grin-y and full of shit.  Chris Geere normally isn't my physical type and Jimmy can be such a smug asshole, but he made me swoon this episode.  From how good he looked in the jacket at the party to him describing their love story....*sigh.*   I just hope that the end shot of the 90s couple getting married was some positive foreshadowing.  I am really rooting for these two.

• Love 3

So the free booze is why they went to wedding planners?

Because these don't seem to be the big wedding types.

Last season was so long ago, I forget how they left it.  Guess they're together for the moment, 

Would be surprising if they make it through the series finale without more bumps in the road because they've aggressively avoided sentimental moments.

That was ... not interesting. It reminded me of some theatre majors I knew years ago in college. They were forever going in and out of character, to the point you were never sure what was part of your conversation and what was them acting from some movie you had never seen. 

Eventually, you would lose interest and wander away. 

I really just want to laugh. 

• Love 2

I loved it! It was a way better redux of the episode with Sandwiches the Pug. When Jimmy and Gretchen finally showed up I was like "YES!" So good... 

Also Jimmy is looking good. Looks like Chris Geere has been working out? Very nice. 

• Love 3

I spent the entire first half of this episode wondering WTF was going on. I knew it could not be a backstory for Jimmy and Gretchen because we already know how they met, the characters had different names, and looked nothing like them. So when they finally revealed what the hell was going on I did think it was kind of brilliant. However, I still don't understand why there were different actors playing them in Jimmy's version and they were playing themselves in Gretchen's. It seemed more like a gimmick to do it that way - like once the audience realized what was going on there was no longer any need for the subterfuge. 

I did miss Lindsay and Edgar but overall I found the episode very clever and certainly unique. I look forward to the format returning to "normal" but . . . this show has never been quite normal so who knows what this season will hold.

• Love 1