Type keyword(s) to search

The Biggest Loser - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Watching those step ups made my joints hurt. 😂

If Micah was really drinking that much a day, I wonder if he’s having withdrawals at the ranch.

Cute women bonding over having to wear a bathing suit. I enjoyed Kim’s skinny dipping joke. Kind of funny that she had to talk over the trainers to get her joke in. 

• Love 2

Once again, it was so obvious who was on the chopping block.  When they spent so much time at the top of the episode featuring Kat, Kim, Teri and Kristi (no Meghan) wearing bathing suits, I knew one of them was going home.  

When Kristi’s fingers cramped up during the stairs and she persevered through it anyway, I knew she was staying.  I thought I was going to ralph.  I hate her.  She seems so cold and clinical.  Teri also got a positive edit, so I figured it was Kat or Kim for sure.  When they were making a big deal about Jim’s small-ish weight loss, I was like, “come on, you people, he wasn’t even on the episode, he’s not going anywhere.”

So...three exercise journeys and nothing with food except, except—sometimes we eat out of boredom!  The more you know.

At first I was going to say that Four Locos get a bad rap.  They are 12% alcohol, carbonated, taste sickeningly sweet, yet somehow manage to feel like battery acid going down, and they come in 20 oz cans...and I realized that is like the worst thing in the world, so maybe it deserves a bad rap.  But anyway, it’s like drinking 40 oz of wine a day.  At the same time, Micah is a 23 year old.  I was drinking similar to that when I was his age and in grad school (not every day, but enough days that I can’t throw stones).  The fact that he gave it up is probably contributing to him “pulling such big numbers” (a phrase I hate; how are they “pulling numbers” exactly and who decided that it was out of vogue to just say “losing so much weight”?  Probably Bob).

Katarina is the only one who looks like she actually made progress since she left the show. I was surprised she said her weight was in the 200s.  I thought she looked like 180 or 190 (although I have no idea how tall she is, so how can I guess this without knowing), but she did a great job, and I hope she keeps going.  She is so young, and I hope she gets a new lease on life.  

Kim is so sweet.  I can’t believe she weighs less than Steven!  I like everyone else left in the house, except Kristi, and I really want her gone.  She weighs 228 now.  She can have another baby at 228.  I don’t need her cold, calculating, cynical stare anymore.  She’s creepy.

10 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

When Kristi’s fingers cramped up during the stairs and she persevered through it anyway, I knew she was staying.  I thought I was going to ralph.  I hate her.  She seems so cold and clinical.

Now I’m curious, since you don’t like her. She’s one that has passed under the radar to me.

Her stepping up while her hands and, I think, arms, seemed like a good way for her to fall on her face. 

10 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

So...three exercise journeys and nothing with food except, except—sometimes we eat out of boredom!  The more you know.

Better than emotional issues getting 99.9% of the blame. 😀

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 2/27/2020 at 6:35 AM, Meushell said:

Now I’m curious, since you don’t like her. She’s one that has passed under the radar to me.

Her stepping up while her hands and, I think, arms, seemed like a good way for her to fall on her face. 

Better than emotional issues getting 99.9% of the blame. 😀

I want to know what theyre eating. I am fairly small, and if I dont eat, I lose weight. Im so curious. I have to say Kataraina is looking good in her update, but imafraidd she will backslide--im bad with names but the guy I think Kyle...is looking very good. I wish they didnt send them home, its seems so cruel. the fireside chats are terrible. and at least Bob hasnt worn that horrible straw hat again!!

On 2/21/2020 at 5:20 AM, sATL said:

RE: on the topic of throwing up and let me add one more issue "having to do #2 - like suddenly & now" happens when one exercises.

Especially if you at still getting used to a routine - both eating (what and when) and the exercise itself. Even wearing a too tight exercise garment can set off bio functions. Nothing to be ashamed about - just let it go and keep it moving.

Porta Potties exist for a reason at most 5ks all the way up to marathons. 

Now does TBL have to show someone relieving themselves in a mop bucket  - no. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runner's_diarrhea

The male host needs to lose the toxic bleached hair.  I'm guessing the female host keeps her weight down because her fake eyelashes are so heavy that she loses a pound or so for every mile she walks/.

Edited by Brookside
  • LOL 3
(edited)
On 2/12/2020 at 10:57 PM, ShortyMac said:

Official final weights determined off camera

Due to production constraints, the period between weigh-ins on this episode has been longer than one week

This is nothing new.  The official weigh-in is done off camera using an official scale every week every season.  The contestants just don’t know what their numbers are until the filming.  
The number of days between weigh-ins has also always bounced around based upon the production needs. For example, the first week  is usually more because that have medical testing done before they start.  

Micah grew up in a house where self medication was the norm.  He needs therapy to help him work thru that. I hope they provide that in addition to a nutritionist.

I am not impressed with Erica the trainer.  She’s so emotional and although she bonds with the females, she does Nothing but scream at the men.  Especially at the challenges. 

Edited by mythoughtis

I felt bad that Megan went home! She looked so thin (comparatively, of course) and pretty(!!) in her after video that I was so happy for her!  I really hope she can get skin surgery on her arms and leave the fat life behind. 

I pegged either Megan or Kim for going home.  Megan basically gave a farewell speech at the top of the episode, and Kim was getting a little tiring. I think she’s too amused with herself and her honey in the console. I feel like she can go home now. She lost a ton of weight already, and I doubt she’s going to get to the point where she has a banging body (though I’d love to be wrong).  I’m more excited to see a young person get to the end. It’s just a little bit more interesting that way for me.

The guys all flew under the radar again this week. It was completely obvious they were all staying. 

I'm not surprised Teri got to stay with the injury. It would have been too predictable for her to get an injury, but not lose. Which brings us to how important diet is in dropping weight!

So what did we learn about food? The female trainer said you can eat whatever you want after a workout—a rice cake AND a fruit! Bitch, you and I must come from different worlds, because what I want is to stop at McDonalds (for a combo with a shake, plus McNuggets).  If I thought I could work out and eat that and not gain weight, I would do so much more exercise!  How did she get up to 322 lbs if all she wants is a damn rice cake?

Word up to whoever said the female trainer is holding half her weight in those false eyelashes. What the fuck is up with those things? I don’t like her. And, not for nothing, but if she’s going to be an exercise coach on an (inter)national fitness television show, she might want to tighten up that thass (where your thighs meet your ass). I don’t like the guy trainer, Steven, either.  He’s chilling.  Pretty sure Megan called him “Satan” at the beginning of the ep. I miss Dolvett.

So glad we’re getting away from the team thing next week. I think we’ll see Kim and Jim go next, followed by Teri.  Kristi (ugh) and Kyle are probably staying until the end with Micah FTW. 

• Love 1

Kim has gotten saved/bailed out pretty much every week because of an advantage, or another team member bombed. 

Really happy for Megan's progress. 

Teri breaking her ankle was awful. Having them jump in to mud pits is stupid and dangerous.

No more teams...

1 hour ago, LibertarianSlut said:

So what did we learn about food? The female trainer said you can eat whatever you want after a workout—a rice cake AND a fruit! Bitch, you and I must come from different worlds, because what I want is to stop at McDonalds (for a combo with a shake, plus McNuggets).  If I thought I could work out and eat that and not gain weight, I would do so much more exercise!  How did she get up to 322 lbs if all she wants is a damn rice cake?

She changed her habits, and her palate has probably changed. A rice cake isn't my thing. 

I'm sick of her saying, "Get it, GIRL! C'mon, GIRL!" JFC, enough already. 

Obviously, Jim wasn't going home, because we haven't heard his sob story yet. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

Teri breaking her ankle was awful. Having them jump in to mud pits is stupid and dangerous.

They are pretty common in mud runs. Jumping in without knowing where the bottom is, that’s on Teri. 

I love the irony of not needing a gym to work out, when this whole song and dance is sponsored by Planet Fitness, both on the show and in the commercials.  

This episode was better, because we could (finally!) focus on the personalities and the weaknesses, etc.  

I know he was trying to be nice, but I wasn’t totally jazzed about Bob telling Teri that it’s out of the question for either of them to be the way they were in their twenties.  I’m definitely younger than them, but I’m not a spring chicken, and I have it firmly planted in my head that I can look as good as I did when I was in my twenties.  It’s my motivation!  Teri’s in her forties.  She was a beauty queen.  She can be smoking hot.  Don’t limit her, Bobby!

Bob’s conversation with Jim was awkward.  Jim said something like, “I hide from conflict by putting my head in a pint of ice cream,” and Bob was like, “yeah, but is that really who you are though?”  Like...no, that’s not who he is; that’s why he’s here.  Jim was just making an observation about his former behavior.  Just a bit too forced for the sake of “a moment.”  

When Bob was talking to Micah, I got the distinct impression that Bob was a recovering alcoholic.  Am I completely making that up?

Kim and her marriage breaking up, wow.  When she said she used to sit at a restaurant for hours so that she wouldn’t have to go home, I didn’t really believe her, unless she meant McDonalds.  She didn’t come off as someone wealthy enough to be able to do that, although I admittedly know nothing about the economy of Mulberry, TN.  Doubtful that they charge one just to sit at a table, the way they do at the ESPN sports bar in NYC.

Good episode though.  It was different.  No speechifying during the weigh-ins.  Fewer tears.  Less pulling at the heartstrings, and more a show about real people who are trying to change bad habits.  I only wish we got to know all of the contestants this well!

• Love 4

It was way past due for Kim to go home, considering that she had been at or near the bottom so many times. In the follow-up with her, it wasn't really a surprise that she ended up splitting from her husband and -- considering the challenges she faces because of her metabolism at her age -- that she didn't look that different from when she left the show.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I love the irony of not needing a gym to work out, when this whole song and dance is sponsored by Planet Fitness, both on the show and in the commercials.  

This episode was better, because we could (finally!) focus on the personalities and the weaknesses, etc.  

I know he was trying to be nice, but I wasn’t totally jazzed about Bob telling Teri that it’s out of the question for either of them to be the way they were in their twenties.  I’m definitely younger than them, but I’m not a spring chicken, and I have it firmly planted in my head that I can look as good as I did when I was in my twenties.  It’s my motivation!  Teri’s in her forties.  She was a beauty queen.  She can be smoking hot.  Don’t limit her, Bobby!

Bob’s conversation with Jim was awkward.  Jim said something like, “I hide from conflict by putting my head in a pint of ice cream,” and Bob was like, “yeah, but is that really who you are though?”  Like...no, that’s not who he is; that’s why he’s here.  Jim was just making an observation about his former behavior.  Just a bit too forced for the sake of “a moment.”  

When Bob was talking to Micah, I got the distinct impression that Bob was a recovering alcoholic.  Am I completely making that up?

Kim and her marriage breaking up, wow.  When she said she used to sit at a restaurant for hours so that she wouldn’t have to go home, I didn’t really believe her, unless she meant McDonalds.  She didn’t come off as someone wealthy enough to be able to do that, although I admittedly know nothing about the economy of Mulberry, TN.  Doubtful that they charge one just to sit at a table, the way they do at the ESPN sports bar in NYC.

Good episode though.  It was different.  No speechifying during the weigh-ins.  Fewer tears.  Less pulling at the heartstrings, and more a show about real people who are trying to change bad habits.  I only wish we got to know all of the contestants this well!

Bob is not an alcoholic, that I know of. I can see why you thought that.

Kim said she works for a Jack Daniels distillery, giving tours. Google says Mulberry, TN to the distillery is only eight miles, to the NE. It might pay well if she's been there awhile, combined with the cost of living in her area. I'm really proud of how far Kim went and how she was willing to end her marriage, and not settle for him if he doesn't want to move forward with her. It is hard to change once you're set in your ways.

They're waiting to lower the boom to give us Jim's sob story about

Spoiler

both of his parents dying when he was young, says so in his cast bio. Notice how they edited it so we didn't get details of why he has anger issues.

Putting this in spoilers in case it grosses someone out:

Spoiler

I can't imagine how smelly and gross Teri's cast is going to be once its removed. All that sweating and exercise, yuck. Mine was.

Erica constantly calling everyone 'girl' drives me crazy. That won't change. I'll quit bitching about it. lol

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Love 3
On 3/11/2020 at 2:55 PM, ShortyMac said:

Erica constantly calling everyone 'girl' drives me crazy. That won't change. I'll quit bitching about it. lol

Ericas’ constant yelling at people drives me crazy.  That’s not the way to motivate people. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

This show is so strange.  If I were an alien visiting from Mars and I watched this, I would make careful notes to take back to my home planet that these “humans” lose weight by doing lots of dramatic exercise and having emotional discussions.  Food would not factor in it my notes at all, except for...

that super weird opening where Steven really aggressively called out Micah for not giving his all to his weight loss, and then that storyline sort of...petered out.  They’re so weird how they don’t talk about diet!  

If VH-1 still exists in like 2040 and they do a “remember the 2010s” retrospective, some unfunny comedian is going to give some interview about “and hey, remember The Biggest Loser?!?  That weight loss show that never mentioned food!”  And all the young people would be like, “nah, he’s exaggerating.”

It was nice to see them connect with their families, but I didn’t learn much, except that Micah’s mom is really young looking.  I sorta tuned out there for a minute.  It wasn’t interesting.  Nor was the obstacle course, nor was the working out.  They were so much more creative in the past.  Last season when they had those twins Luis and Roberto, they brought someone back to their hometown for a week, partially so that he could work out with Dolvett, and partially so that he could work out on his own in his hometown, but then he came back to the ranch...I smell a low budget, y’all!

They did all lose a lot of weight and they are all so much thinner.  They should be super proud of themselves.  Even Kristi, about whom I never have a good word, looked so fit and good in her “after” scene.  She looked way less than 198 lbs., so she probably has a lot of muscles too.  I’m glad she’s gone, because she got on my nerves, but she absolutely walked the walk, pardon the pun.  

• Love 2

I don't think they've talked about Jim and his issues at all; I'm surprised. He's just said he wants to be healthy for his family. He lost both of his parents at a young age. It's in his cast bio. 

I figured that Jim would win the challenge because he did the worst in the mile for those who were left, so, he had the most room for improvement.

Jim, Kyle, and Micah are the finalists. 

• Love 2

Teri, I feel like I hardly knew ya.  It’s bad editing/storytelling that everything I learned about this woman came out in ep one—former beauty queen, weighed 107 lbs when she won Miss Missouri, is currently some type of flying nurse.  Nothing interesting transpired the whole time.

I think, judging by Teri’s follow-up video, she has about reached the peak of her weight loss. Maybe she’ll eke out another 20 for the finale.  A year from now, she’ll probably be the same amount she was when she left the show.  She lost a good amount—they all did—but I would be surprised if anyone showed up to the finale slim, as they’ve done in seasons past. 

I know this seems like a nitpick, but it’s really not—I don’t think Micah should go to an AA meeting when he gets home.  He’s been sober the whole time at the ranch, no?  He can go to a SMART meeting when he gets home, which uses cognitive-behavioral techniques to get people to end their destructive behavior (usually drugs, but it can be anything).  It’s based on logic and reason.  He can go to SMART to deal with his eating too.  And SMART doesn’t care if you show up to their meetings.  It’s all about your choice as a rational adult.

AA, on the other hand, wants you to join, encourages you to join immediately, strangers ask you for your phone number at your first meeting and all the strangers of the same sex give you their numbers before you leave, so they can get you to “keep coming back,” which means admitting that you’re powerless over alcohol, that you have an incurable disease that you will have for the rest of your life, and the only way you can arrest it (one day at a time) is to turn your life and your will over to the power of God...this doesn’t sound like something Micah needs.  It would be like getting chemotherapy for a head cold.  I think there are a lot of misconceptions about AA, one of them being that you can get help by going to “a” meeting.  AA, depending on which experienced person you talk to, is anything between  a “secular” religion and a cult, but there is consensus that you’re in for a penny, you’re in for a pound.  When people encourage others to check out “a” meeting, they either have no idea how it works, or they are setting you up to become a member until you die.  Some people consider it switching one addiction for another.  I have never seen an exception, and I’ve put a fair amount of research into it.  It’s their modus operandi.  

I feel like someone who knew something about addiction should have been there to explain some of this to Micah, or he can find himself, 30 years from now, going to a meeting every day, standing up and saying, “My name is Micah and I’m an alcoholic,” and taking endless phone calls at all hours of the night, all because he was drinking two four-locos a night at 23 years old.  

I feel kinda bad, but I’m not super excited about the finale.  I don’t think we’re going to see the kind of weight loss and fabulous body transitions that we’ve seen in the past.  Like I’ve posted upthread, Micah is definitely going to need skin surgery in order to have a normal body, and I don’t think the show is going to provide that, because I think they are operating off of a very limited budget.  Kyle is looking kind of haggard and saggy too.  Jim will begin to look that way when he’s lost more weight.  Skin just stretches and doesn’t bounce back when there’s been a 100+ weight loss.  These people may be so much more healthy now, but very few of them are going to look hot without the skin surgery.  And I kind of want them to look hot.  The show wants them to look hot, too, or the finale wouldn’t have them get all glammed up.  If it was all about health, they would just weigh them in their sports bras and shorts, no hair and makeup in sight.  So...get them some cosmetic surgery as a reward.  It would have such a positive visual impact. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Why the fuck do they need to look “hot?”

Hmm, no one said they “need” to look hot.  I posited that I “kind of” want them to look hot.  I already gave the reasons why it’s self-evident that the show wants them to look hot, which means at least some of the other viewers want them to look hot—the positive visual impact, the idea that someone can go from morbidly obese to hot is inspiring, for them and for humanity, as well as the drama of the aesthetic.  

I wonder why the idea that one would want something positive for this group of people who have literally worked their asses off would be met with hostility.   

• Love 2

Well from the little preview at the end, it looks like the finale was filmed in the before time.   Which is lucky for them that they decided not to do it live.  I was wondering how they were going to pull that off.

• Love 3

Ok so read an interesting article today on a website about how this show does not talk about food . I just can’t stand the triple eyelashes on that trainer i don’t get it . The other thing is these final 4 are all still very large- i don’t want to see anyone emaciated but it just doesn’t seem like we are anywhere ready for a finale?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

Ok so read an interesting article today on a website about how this show does not talk about food . I just can’t stand the triple eyelashes on that trainer i don’t get it . The other thing is these final 4 are all still very large- i don’t want to see anyone emaciated but it just doesn’t seem like we are anywhere ready for a finale?

And no “makeover” episode either?

• Love 1

Personally, I don’t really mind them not talking about food. Maybe it’s just my bad memory, but it seems like talking about healthy food in the past were usually promos or greatly exaggerating the calories of unhealthy food. Even food challenges in real life setting were off because it was too extreme. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Meushell said:

Personally, I don’t really mind them not talking about food. Maybe it’s just my bad memory, but it seems like talking about healthy food in the past were usually promos or greatly exaggerating the calories of unhealthy food. Even food challenges in real life setting were off because it was too extreme. 

For me, when someone has a tough time losing weight , often it’s about food- it’s an imperative part of the story. I feel like i miss half of the story - anyone know if they ha w access to whatever food they want? I’m just curious . 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I don’t need them to look “ hot”. But to see them at a decent BMI would be great- they are all still very overweight . I must say Teri looked very good on her home shot , but she has a long way to go. I guess they are showing what is closer to real life . 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

For me, when someone has a tough time losing weight , often it’s about food- it’s an imperative part of the story. I feel like i miss half of the story - anyone know if they ha w access to whatever food they want? I’m just curious . 

True. If they did it right, it would be a great part of the show. I suppose I just don’t trust them to really do it right, and I’d rather they leave it out rather than give the wrong information.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ML89 said:

Drives me nuts that these trainers can’t teach them to use the rowing machine correctly. 

This will show my ignorance, but what are they doing wrong? I never liked that machine, and based on this post, I guess I know why. LOL

(Sorry about double posting, but I couldn’t figure out how to add this quote in the first post. When I tried to quote into the edited version, it just made a new post.)

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/30/2020 at 10:59 PM, alvajon said:

And no “makeover” episode either?

There was no glamour to this season.  I feel foolish for talking skin surgery—skin surgery when they can’t even afford makeovers?!?  I crack myself up.

Yes, Jim lost a lot with 144, but not a single other person broke triple digits?  Every single one of them is still overweight.  Teri and Kristi had big results, in addition to the three finalists.  Meghan, I’m glad she won the take-home prize over the standoffish brunettes, but she really doesn’t look like a different person, as she contended; on the contrary, she looks remarkably similar, just less puffy.  It looked so foolish for Meghan and Jim to talk to their original images as if they were other people.  I can only imagine how foolish they felt.  They lost weight, but they didn’t get lobotomies!

Can we talk about the elephant in the room?  That several of them didn’t look like they lost a pound since they left that house (Kim, Katarina, Dolores, Dominico, Robert)?  Dolores already told the story about not requesting the cheesecakes at her hotel room when she left the show.  There are no new developments since then?  I guess that’s why they opted to only weigh six people, which drives me bananas!!!  I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Phi actually put on weight.  What happened to that one year membership to Planet Fitness and an at-home nutritionist?  Why did those fail so many of the contestants?

I love the specificity of the health results—for several of them, obesity-related deaths are no longer “staring you in the face”?  Is that a medical term?  Robert’s breathing “only” stops 15 times per night?  I mean, it’s great that his sleep apnea has decreased, but it’s not a really cheerful bearing of news.  

I don’t know why they wouldn’t have everyone go to the studio and give their big reveals there and then show them being visited at home and giving their story since they left the house, and then weighing (all of) them, but maybe they only rented that studio for an hour or two. 

Of course I think it’s great overall what they did—that goes without saying—but a lot of people didn’t pull their own weight, and if this is their big “honesty” season, why not delve into that?  Why not weigh Phi and let her tell her side of the story?  Because there is another side to managing weight problems, and that is failing.  Why can’t we talk about that?  Is it verboten that some people might not have been able to do this at this moment in time?  Can we discuss anything that shows Bob or the trainers in anything but a flattering light?

Micah, great job, obviously, for losing 99 lbs, but this is the thing about forgiveness and apologies—Micah’s mom can only be publicly forgiven and she can only publicly apologize if she publicly owns up to what she did, which she never did, I was listening.  It’s awful storytelling to have a big tearful apology and not know what it’s about.  I mean, I can fill in the blanks.  I would assume she was on drugs and she was neglectful at the least.  But if there is a reason she can’t admit that on TV—if she’s currently raising minors in her home or something—then just leave that part of the narrative out, and talk about Jim’s deceased family, which is a story that can be told in its entirety.  

Bob, please never again say, “it doesn’t get better than that” or any derivative thereof!  It’s getting redundant!

Is he starting to look like Joe Biden to anyone else?  

80AA7E66-9CD7-48F1-9603-0089134DA3B6.jpeg.1844ebe369734e39ec1ffae8682f16f1.jpegB594725A-64D8-40E4-B2D3-088B50F871BD.jpeg.0e6a5e9de7ff8045286a905a75e790f5.jpeg

Edited by LibertarianSlut
Typos
  • Love 5
(edited)

So weird that the show never told us why Jim got so big. We got everyone else’s.

No surprise that three of the women who made it the longest on the ranch were the top three for the At-Home prize. Congrats to Megan.

I would have liked to have seen where everyone ended up, though. They could've done a flash of everyone's final weights. 

EDIT: Everyone's final results are here:

https://people.com/tv/the-biggest-loser-contestants-before-and-afters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Biggest_Loser_(season_18)

I was sure of Jim winning the whole thing because he already lost one hundred pounds at the ranch. He only needed to lose 117. Congrats to him. 

Jim 385 241 = -144 (overall winner)

Micah 326 227 = -99

Kyle 302 216 = -86

Teri 256 186 = -70

Kristi 264 191 = -73

Kim 242 204 = -38

Megan 290 207 = -83 (at-home winner)

Katarina 293 229 = -64

Delores 280 244 = -36

Domenico 323 273 = -50

Phi 357 340 = -17

Robert 409 361 = -48

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Meushell said:

This will show my ignorance, but what are they doing wrong? I never liked that machine, and based on this post, I guess I know why. LOL

(Sorry about double posting, but I couldn’t figure out how to add this quote in the first post. When I tried to quote into the edited version, it just made a new post.)

Several of them (Teri has the cast right?) “jump” the handles over their knees - it may be their shape at first but I see people who are stick shaped do the same in my gym. If you just adjust a little, it’s a smooth row and you won’t stop yourself if you’re ever in an actual rowing shell. If you jump the handle, you would dig the oars into the water and stop yourself cold. 

Concept 2 who makes the machine has a video: Here

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, UpTooLate said:

I have to wonder if Phi has an underlying disorder that's preventing her from losing weight. At her weight, she should have lost much more

I think it's called fork-to-mouth disease.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

I liked that they showed that Jim had lost more weight after the show.  Perhaps he'll do better about maintaining his loss.  

The weight losses may have been more realistic for the amount of time they had.  I hope that a follow up show will be done to see how they are doing.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, MsVixen said:

I liked that they showed that Jim had lost more weight after the show.  Perhaps he'll do better about maintaining his loss.  

The weight losses may have been more realistic for the amount of time they had.  I hope that a follow up show will be done to see how they are doing.

Erica's IG helped me figure out when they filmed: the end of August to the beginning of November. The finale was in mid-December.

• Useful 2
(edited)

Well, that was really underwhelming. I realize some contestants didn’t do so well in losing weight, but the re-introduction of all of them felt so blah. It just looked so cheap. Then the Bob talk because...why? To be honest though, I always feel like the Bob talks are about Bob. Otherwise, why is it that, and not they’re talking heads. Why can’t these people share their own journey without the Bob commentary? Why didn’t we see each get a weigh in with a “My Journey” segment. 

On 4/2/2020 at 8:38 PM, MsVixen said:

This does provide a rather perfect opportunity to let the show be what it really should be. More long-term with more realistic results, success or failure.

Edited by Meushell
Typo fix.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

OK, I know the show finished airing months ago.  But I only just watched the series on replay these past few weeks.  So even if no one ever sees these comments, I feel like writing them anyway!

Observations:

• I had tears in my eyes during the final run when they had all improved so much.
  • It was interesting that when it got down to final 4 and they switched trainers, Micah from the blue team remarked that Erica was tougher than Steve.
  • At the weigh-ins, I noticed that they no longer do those overblown reaction previews (usually of the trainers) that sometimes were never even shown during the actual weigh-ins.
  • At one point, when talking about how to work out on your own, Erica said, "Everyone has a park around them.  Everyone has an open field."  Uh, no.
  • I agree that the show would have been so much better if we got to know more about the contestants' back stories, personalities, difficulties, etc.  i actually felt the one-hour format was too short.  Every episode felt formulaic -- workout/challenge/chat with Bob/weigh in -- rinse, repeat.
  • Without any focus on appropriate eating, this show is close to useless for people who look to it for help/motivation losing weight.
  • At the finale, Phi said she had hired all these personnel, including a personal trainer.  Then Bob asked about what activities she was doing (or something like that), and she said twerking, and then did a very low-activity level simulation.  No wonder she lost so few pounds after leaving, if that was her idea of physical activity!  
On 2/13/2020 at 7:23 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

OMG, the edits!  There is so much touchy-feely bullshit, and speeches, and exercise and challenges, but we don’t even get to see where they live?  Instead of telling us about Kyle and Jim being roommates, why don’t they show them in their bunks?  Show how they pass their time.  A few seasons ago I think they were doing this.  Dolvett tracked down this young blonde girl to her room and yelled at her that she’s going to lose all her weight and then gain it back if she doesn’t face why she’s 18 years old and 255.  I miss that.  

Even if they’re exercising eight hours a day (doubtful), and sleeping eight, they are doing something else for the other eight hours.  Why don’t they show any of that?  

Totally agree.

• Love 3

I know I'm late to the show but I'm watching episode 9, the one with the mile run.  I used to run and I've done several races.  Having those coaches constantly yelling at the contestants during their whole run is driving me crazy.  I remember people cheering and yelling on the sidelines while I was racing and I wanted to stop and throat punch them.  I guess everyone is different.  Some people like it and some don't.