Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Anticipation and Discussion

Bella

Yeah, I'm not happy that 11 out of the 16 contestants are in their 20's -- and 6 of those are 25 or younger.  I hope Face Off isn't starting to lean away from talent and more towards young, beautiful people.  Not that they won't be talented because they're young, but how much experience can they have?

Prove me wrong, show, prove me wrong!

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm not happy that 11 out of the 16 contestants are in their 20's -- and 6 of those are 25 or younger.

I think it's because they've run out of viable contestants, so they're going after people who just recently got out of school. They need to stop putting the show on so often, but it's probably too late at this point.

• Love 5

I think it's because they've run out of viable contestants, so they're going after people who just recently got out of school. They need to stop putting the show on so often, but it's probably too late at this point.

I agree, and I'm afraid that this show is starting to cannibalize itself. It's not like the cooking shows where there are about 100,000 chefs who could compete. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are about 2,400 make-up artists in the US, which I assume includes these folks and others who do different kinds of make-up. In any case, the BLS doesn't break it down any further, and Google calls up all sorts of articles about how there aren't enough jobs in the profession for those who want to enter it. 

I could keep my stats geek hat on and babble for another couple of paragraphs, but I think the bottom line is that Face-Off draws from a very small population to begin with, and since there aren't a lot of jobs in the profession, people who have good jobs aren't likely to take off to compete on this show ... and I'm starting to babble anyway.

SyFy is killing the goose that laid the golden ratings on this one.

• Love 2

I just saw an ad for this show coming back, and I'm not sure if this should go here or in the Wishlist topic but....

I'm not thrilled about the huge number of newbies that seem to be involved.  While the occasional trainwreck is fun to watch, I'd way rather see good work, cool ideas and innovative techniques come together for a kickass final makeup.  However, I will tolerate the inexperience IF it means more Michael Westmorland.  He is such a wonderful mentor, in the little we see of him, and I find it very interesting how he can see when something is going off the tracks and can make suggestions on how to fix the looming problem.  As far as I can remember from previous seasons, not one contestant who listened to his comments and competently implemented them has gone home on that challenge.

As others have already said, please, please, please can we cut back on the monsters?  What about an ode to the pulp fiction beautiful alien princess or awww, they're-so-cute aliens.  What about challenges that forbid any prosthetics, and require makeup and feathers, or makeup and fur or makeup and just fabric?  Or some good old school aging, gender swap or fat suit stuff.  I'm not asking for all of the monster challenges to go away, but maybe they can go down to half instead of 80%?

• Love 6

It looks like they're going to start off with a stunt Top Chef pulled during it's Texas season: They're going to tell all the newly arrived contestants that they haven't really made the show yet, there's another 'audition' and one of them will be going home immediately. Didn't like it on TC, don't think I'm going to like it here.

(edited)

They did that in one of the seasons of Project Runway as well.  The contestant that Tim Gunn fought so hard to keep off the show wound up winning it all, IIRC.

ETA  I'm on the fence about watching this season.  I may keep it on my dvr for a few weeks before I watch, just to get some ideas from all of you on how it's going.  :-)

Edited by Demented Daisy

This all sounds so depressing.  This is one of my favorite shows and once they start pulling the "you're on the show! no you're not! PSYCH!" horseshit (as on TC and PR as mentioned above) it's a bad, bad sign.

• Love 2

This is one of my favorite shows and once they start pulling the "you're on the show! no you're not! PSYCH!" horseshit (as on TC and PR as mentioned above) it's a bad, bad sign.

I am counting on them doing a lousy job of this, just like they do a lousy job on all the other things that make other reality competition shows annoying --- 

Other shows cast people that create drama and have a lot of arguing and backstabbing and under-bus-throwing  But this show can't get that right, the contestants keep helping each other and admiring each other's work.  The one guy that came closest to be the kind of contestant most other shows would be dying to cast, was let go the first week, instead of hanging around to create drama. 

Other shows have the judges spouting mean comments in an effort to be witty, but this show can't get that right, the judges are supportive of the contestants.  Other shows have judges make vague comments or get really nitpicky when critiquing, in an effort to keep the audience from guessing who is going home, to the point that when someone is sent home, the audience can't figure out why.  But this show can't get that right either - the judges make logical comments and, even though there may not be much suspense in the elimination, it usually makes sense.  And when it doesn't make sense, I feel the judges are so fair and knowledgeable that what they saw up close must have looked different than how it looked on my tv at home.   

So I am hoping that when this show tries to do the gimmicky things that annoy me on other shows, they will get it wrong, again.

• Love 5
(edited)

They did that in one of the seasons of Project Runway as well.  The contestant that Tim Gunn fought so hard to keep off the show wound up winning it all, IIRC.

Yep, Season 8.  The Season "Wretechen" (Gretchen) won over the more deserving, in my opinion, Mondo.  I think if Mondo had won when he was supposed to, he wouldn't have devolved into the nasty little troll we saw on "Under the Gunn".  Harsh, but all the love for him is long gone.  

I think Mackenzie and Michael Westmore really help keep this show so positive.  I've never heard either one of them utter anything negative or unhelpful. 

Only a few more hours to go!!!

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

Wait... what in the what? How did I miss that this show was back?

They do repeats before the new episodes, so you can catch up. I liked last week's episode best.

I don't know if I'll put in the effort to get caught up. This is not one of those shows where you really need to be up on the drama and it's hard to make yourself sit through all the filler in the episodes when you're not watching it week to week. I say that as someone who occasionally has 3 episodes of Face Off on the DVR. Dick Tracy villains and aliens don't sound that interesting to me but the tree challenge could be cool. I think I'll pick it up from there.

Something I really love this season is that the models/mime performers seem to have gotten the idea to/been allowed to add a bit of performance element to the final viewing.  It makes the characters pop to life so much more vividly to have someone crouching and hopping around like a winged monkey jester.  A while ago, when there were two similar looking alien goddesses, both looking kali-ish, the model who was performing the goddess looked so much more interesting.  I also noticed the model who was being a bird character and using her "wings".

A side note is that I love it that this show is so kind to the models.  Tim always has been very polite and kind to the PR models, but, until this season, the judges and contestants don't really notice them much.  In this show, the judges and the contestants are so polite and make a point to thank the models for performing the characters and allowing themselves to be encased in paint and plaster.  It is just so refreshing to see thoughtfulness on a competition show.  My DD likes Dance Moms and I cannot be in the house when she has that crud on.  The depth of horror to which ALM/ALDC will subject the dancers is beyond imagination.  Even Gordon Ramsey encourages his cheftestants on his various shows to cooperate with each other and be civil.  Face Off wins the niceness trophy, are we sure the show isn't made in Canada? :-)

• Love 1