Type keyword(s) to search

Vida - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, dr pepper said:

Hmm, no one else has commented on the new episode. Maybe i got an early showing. So i won't say anything about the plot, just one single item.

In one scene one of the people protesting the sisters' "selling out" had a sign that said

Eloterxs Si, Hipsters No!

Ok, elote means "corn" so i guess an elotero would be one of the street vendors who sells spicy corn on the cob. I hope someone can clarify. But, the thing is, that's not a very catchy wording. Why a corn seller, anyway, as opposed to a tamale or an ice cream seller? Is there something significant about contrasting a corn seller in particular to a hipster?

The eloteros are among the victims of gentrification.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vvq3xd/how-this-elotero-is-dealing-with-gentrification

• Useful 1

I still dont get why the protesters have such a massive hate on for Emma, Lyn, and Vidas? I guess because Emma and Lyn are trying to sprouse up the place and because they left the neighborhood? They have no other problems they could be fighting except for these two women, who are also Latinex and are just trying to save their moms dying local hole? What should they be doing differently? Are they not using local vendors? Is it because they dont like that they are trying to bring in new people who will actually allow them to pay their bills? I can get being against gentrification and that its a complex issue, but they seem to really really hate them personally, because they dont think they fit their definition of being Mexican enough. 

Look at Lynn growing up! She is coming up with good ideas, doing math, committing to having a boyfriend, working on the business, turning the other cheek, and even turned down making out with the hot waiter at her boyfriends mothers birthday! 

Emma not having seen The Princess Bride just explains so much...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

There’s probably some personal stuff mixed up in there in addition to the business about the bar.

I think they hate Lyn for a few reasons: Johnny cheated with her on his pregnant fiancé and that has to have gotten around the gossip mill, which sure wouldn’t win her any friends; she understands Spanish but can’t speak it, which makes her an outsider; there’s probably a lot of jealousy over her looks (“Coconut Barbie”) and how she usually uses her looks to date rich guys. And until very recently she came across as a self-involved airhead who didn’t give a rip about the neighborhood.

Emma is abrasive and since she had that fancy corporate job in Chicago she is probably perceived as thinking she’s better than everyone else.

And there’s some mob mentality at work, too. Some of the people at Mari’s meetings are real hotheads who seem like they just want someone to be mad at.

• Love 1

IA with CarpeFelis, especially about the personal stuff and the mob mentality.  Also, I don't think the protesters are really aware of how much debt the Hernandez sisters have, and that keeping the bar afloat will take some serious money.  In the season finale, Lyn told Mari that they weren't trying to gentrify the neighborhood, but to create revenue so they could keep the bar, and she asked if Mari had told the protest group that.  Mari looked uncomfortable and didn't say anything. 

Good episode.  I read an interview saying that they thought Nico was "too perfect" so they're adding on some conflict with her ex.  Blech.  No thanks.

It's only going to get worse for Mari.  Eventually, Yoli and her friends are going to ask why she's so reluctant to protest the bar and she'll have to confess, possibly take sides.  Mari can't really take these half-hearted jabs at the sisters anymore, because she knows there's more to the situation. 

Yoli's father needs to get over his shit and let her back in the house, because I don't think Johnny will do a good job taking care of him.  Johnny has his own job, and now a newborn daughter to look after.  

Clever, subverting the trope with the waiter.  Definitely thought Lyn was going for it.  I admire how she turned the party to her own favor, but I have a bad feeling about Rudy and his overbearing mother.

I would have reacted the same way Emma did when Mari spoke to her.  It's good to communicate with the residents, but the protest group can go to hell.  Graffiti is one thing, but damn near blinding someone with laundry soap?   Uh uh.  I wouldn't try to appease them.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Clever, subverting the trope with the waiter.  Definitely thought Lyn was going for it.  I admire how she turned the party to her own favor, but I have a bad feeling about Rudy and his overbearing mother.

I was surprised she didn’t—it would have been very much in character for her.

I had a bad feeling about Rudy’s mother before we even saw her because of that huge portrait of Rudy she had prominently displayed upon entering the house. That was cringeworthy. Then the look on the mother’s face later when Lyn was sitting in Rudy’s lap telling self-deprecating anecdotes made me think Lyn may have won this battle, but she’ll lose the war. You just know he’ll be one of those guys who won’t stick up for his girlfriend if his mother doesn’t like her. (I really wish I understood more Spanish because I’m sure the comments the mother was making when they were introduced were backhanded AF.)

Edited by CarpeFelis
awkward wording
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I was surprised she didn’t—it would have been very much in character for her.

I had a bad feeling about Rudy’s mother before we even saw her because of that huge portrait of Rudy she had prominently displayed upon entering the house. That was cringeworthy. Then the look on the mother’s face later when Lyn was sitting in Rudy’s lap telling self-deprecating anecdotes made me think Lyn may have won this battle, but she’ll lose the war. You just know he’ll be one of those guys who won’t stick up for his girlfriend if his mother doesn’t like her. (I really wish I understood more Spanish because I’m sure the comments the mother was making when they were introduced were backhanded AF.)

Right! I really thought Lyn would go for it and then of course get caught by either mama or Rudy or both. I liked the way it turned out. But yup. Mama is gonna get the last word and No! when it comes to choosing mama or Lyn? Rudy will pick mama. 

Uh oh! Johnnie doesn't look happy. He loves his baby--- but Karla? Trouble is brewing. <<<and personally I can't wait! If this is indeed the last season -- I want to see Johnnie and Lyn end up together!

I really like Mari and I like her story. I am interested to see where it goes.

Nico is the best!

Wasn't thrilled with Nico saying that she didn't technically lie and that her marriage wasn't a big deal.  It's not her place to decide what's a big deal to Emma.  And Nico has had time to tell Emma the truth.  She should have done it when what's-her-face returned.

I wonder if Johnny and Mari's childhood home is paid for, so Mari can move back in.  Did anyone see what was in the paper bag that Mari was holding?

Lyn shouldn't have even told Emma about their father.  She could have just investigated it on her own and talked to Emma later.

• Love 1

I dont blame Lyn at all for wanting to know if her dad is alive, or being pissed that her mom and apparently tons of other people were lying to them. Just because Emma doesent care doesent mean that Eddie was lying or that looking into it is a waste of time. Lyn in general is really stepping her game up this season, trying to be responsible and help the bar and committing to her boyfriend and her family, I really hope that Johnny just came by to cry on her shoulder and thats where it ends. Please dont hook up again! 

Come on protesters, at least give Lyn a new insulting nickname! This is just repetitive!

Poor Mari, her dad died when they still weren't talking, that must hurt so much, even if their estrangement wasnt her fault. But at least now I guess she can move back in, right? 

I like Nico, but her lying about being married, even if its only a marriage of convenience, is a crappy thing to do. It shows a pattern of lies of omission if nothing else. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Poor Mari, her dad died when they still weren't talking, that must hurt so much, even if their estrangement wasnt her fault. But at least now I guess she can move back in, right?

I had the same thought. I really hope her family owns the house outright, and that the greedy aunt who was walking away with anything that wasn’t nailed down doesn’t try to get her claws on it. If it’s just a rental and they get wiped out by the funeral expenses, that would mean she’s homeless. (And WHY, pray tell, is an $8000 casket required???)

• Love 3

I know every family has that one relative they can't stand, but the aunt really was awful.  Especially when Johnny asked about the casket.  Suddenly she has nothing to say except that they'll figure it out on their own.  Uh-huh.  She's the kind who will take home leftovers, but not bring anything to the table except her appetite.

I wouldn't be surprised if the greedy aunt was the one who insisted on the expensive casket.  Maybe that's where they always go for funerals, or it's expected that they'll get the best money can buy.  Who knows.  No matter what, that's a lot to spend on one item when you still have the funeral and other expenses.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Wasn't thrilled with Nico saying that she didn't technically lie and that her marriage wasn't a big deal.  It's not her place to decide what's a big deal to Emma.  And Nico has had time to tell Emma the truth.  She should have done it when what's-her-face returned.

I wonder if Johnny and Mari's childhood home is paid for, so Mari can move back in.  Did anyone see what was in the paper bag that Mari was holding?

Lyn shouldn't have even told Emma about their father.  She could have just investigated it on her own and talked to Emma later.

Looked like a baby blanket.

(edited)
23 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Nico may or may not be genuine with Emma, but she is clearly an opportunist. Of course, she's a lot like Lyn that way.

23 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Lyn lacks self confidence when it comes to things like this. She doesn't want to do it alone.

Edited by dr pepper
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

I’ve been rewatching the first two seasons. Johnny and Mari were paying their father’s rent. So they don’t own the house.

So now Johnny says he was offered $500k for the house. Definite retcon.

I guess its been awhile since season one, but I really thought that Eddy knew that Emma was bisexual. That should I think give Eddie more context as to why why Emma is still so resentful towards Vida even after her death. 

If Lyn wants to meet her dad, thats her prerogative, but if Emma doesn't want to, thats fine too. Clearly a lot went down with Vida and their dad, its hard to see what things were really like, and his vague answers to Lynn's questions makes me think that there is more to this story. 

Mariachi karaoke night looked like a blast! Lynn has really been stepping things up lately, she really does seem to have a knack for event planning. 

Yeah, maybe focus more on people from the community being unlawfully detained and less time picketing a damn bar. 

Yeah I definitely remember Mari and Johnny talking about paying rent last season. Weird.

Jesse Borrego is always excellent. Great to see him as Victor.

This show is now better than it has ever been, which is saying a lot because it's always been good. I wish it would go on and on, but I guess there are only 4-5 episodes left??

I feel sorry for Emma. She is really messed up on the inside. Vida really crucified her by sending her off for being lesbian, then for Emma to discover the hypocrisy of Vida's lesbianism late in her life. Emma seems like someone who is emotionally damaged and completely unable to experience a loving relationship. Now Lyn is horrifically wounded by her mother for banishing her father from her life. Eddy tore up a picture of her and Vida. We are really now seeing how the actions of Vida have destroyed the ones she supposedly cared about.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, BigDfromLA said:

Jesse Borrego is always excellent. Great to see him as Victor.

This show is now better than it has ever been, which is saying a lot because it's always been good. I wish it would go on and on, but I guess there are only 4-5 episodes left??

I feel sorry for Emma. She is really messed up on the inside. Vida really crucified her by sending her off for being lesbian, then for Emma to discover the hypocrisy of Vida's lesbianism late in her life. Emma seems like someone who is emotionally damaged and completely unable to experience a loving relationship. Now Lyn is horrifically wounded by her mother for banishing her father from her life. Eddy tore up a picture of her and Vida. We are really now seeing how the actions of Vida have destroyed the ones she supposedly cared about.

I almost didn’t recognize him. I thought he looked kind of familiar, then went, “Wait, is that Jesse Borrego?” and ran to IMDB to confirm. It’s been a long time since Fame! I’d seen him in some guest appearances over the years since then, but not recently.

Vida sending Emma away was unconscionable. Keeping the dad away may have been wise at the time she first decided to do that — we know from his own account that he was bad news back then, but we still don’t know exactly how. But lying that he was dead, and taking away her daughters’ choices whether to have any relationship with him, was a crappy thing to do. I wonder why she didn’t tell Eddy the truth about him and for that matter, why she never divorced him. I can only guess that Vida’s MO was to sweep anything that made her uncomfortable under the rug. Easier to deny something exists than actually deal with it.

As for Emma, I agree with (don’t recall her name) who said “what the hell happened to you?” because there has to be more that we haven’t been told yet that would explain why she’s so generally emotionally damaged and so vehement about the dad. Being older than Lyn, there must be things she remembers about him that Lyn doesn’t. Since by his own account Vida had called the cops on him, my best guess is that Emma witnessed him smacking Vida around, probably on more than one occasion. Maybe he even hit Emma.

Lyn: knowing that Vida treated her as if her looks were all she had going for her explains why her lifestyle was being a kept woman before she returned to LA. But I still wonder how she turned out completely oblivious to how her actions affected the people around her. (What was it Lyn said to her after the credit card fraud came to light? Something like “you’re selfish on a level I can’t even comprehend”?) Good for her that she seems to get it now. I do wonder what ever happened WRT Vida’s credit cards. Did they somehow get paid off, or is there still an investigation that will bite her?

Eddy is the one I feel really bad for. Vida lied about Victor all those years. And then Emma comes along and tells Eddy “you don’t belong here”. Geez, legal rights or not, what matters is that Vida clearly loved Eddy and wanted her to have a third of the bar.

• Love 1

You can see how much Lyn has matured.  She made an effort not to tell her news to Johnny since he was already depressed, and in the old days, she would have just spilled the beans without a second thought.  And I really liked her discussion with Emma at the end.  It's Emma's right not to see their father if she doesn't want to, but that doesn't mean she gets to decide for Lyn as well.  

This episode felt slow.  I hate that Eddy only ended up at the bar because she saw her attacker again.  I don't need to see the bastard again, but I thought that would lead to something else.  Hopefully he doesn't make another appearance.

Didn't know Marcos was a teacher.  Or is he a professor, since he has a PhD?  At any rate, I love his friendship with Lyn.

Sucks that Nico is suffering, but just because she's in pain doesn't make her actions any less wrong.

Victor was definitely holding back with his story to Lyn, and I'm wondering what he meant by "misbehaving."  Abuse?  Drugs/alcohol?  Hurting his children?

(edited)

I have a theory. Well two. I wonder if Vida sent Emma away not because she thought she was a lesbian, but because Victor was abusing her or had abused her (maybe phsyical, sexual, or both). I mean, she told her daughters he was dead. That tells me it was probably more than just spousal abuse; he probably did something horrific to one or both of the girls. But if I had to guess, I would say Emma - because she is really messed up and it goes beyond my mama sent me to Texas to live with my grandparents. 

Two, Eddy seemed shocked when Lyn told her Emma had been with Nico. I bet Eddy has been thinking this whole time that Emma didn't like her because she was gay - and that's not it at all.

Also, I really like Nico. And I like Emma and Nico together. I hope the story with Nico's wife really is that they are married in name only and over, she still should have told Emma though - especially when they started to get close. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese

Talk about trippy, Emma is getting high and breaking things and making bad choices, while Lyn is turning down drugs and men that are bad for her and is being responsible about the bar and its events!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Talk about trippy, Emma is getting high and breaking things and making bad choices, while Lyn is turning down drugs and men that are bad for her and is being responsible about the bar and its events!

Now if she could just have been responsible enough to lock up that stupid punchbowl somewhere safe (or had the guts to turn it down in the first place)... it was completely obvious it was going to get broken. Can’t wait to see what happens when Rudy’s mom finds out — not that Lyn and Rudy are very likely to last anyway. Between the friction with his mom, Lyn not fitting in with his “real Mexican” friends, her always running back to Johnny, and things increasingly looking like she and Rudy don’t really “get” each other (really nothing in common besides Mexican ancestry, sex and the gym, and the sex really wasn’t going so great that morning), this relationship’s days are numbered.

I did think it was a bit ironic to see the look on Lyn’s face when Rudy’s mom implied that she should stop working once she’s married, given that up until her return to LA she was perfectly happy being a kept woman and just dabbling in ideas to earn money that she didn’t seem to stick with.

(edited)

That punch bowl was going to be a goner the second Lyn took it.

Lyn should have just left it in the car and "pretend" she used it. Not like Rudy's mother would have known.

6 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

not that Lyn and Rudy are very likely to last anyway. Between the friction with his mom, Lyn not fitting in with his “real Mexican” friends, her always running back to Johnny,

I think it will always be Johnny to her and vice versa, in the last few episodes just kind of sold that to me When she needed to talk about meeting her dad, she ran straight to Johnny and said he was the one she wanted to tell.  When his dad died, he was ok and strong with no emotion the entire show, until he saw Lyn and then he was able to break down. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

Even without Johnny in the situation, Lyn and Rudy won’t make it.  She’ll never live up to his mother‘s expectations.  Rudy’s got some sexual hang ups that he won’t discuss with Lyn, and I doubt Rudy will stand up to his mother, anyway.

I knew the bowl would get shattered.  But it was worth it to see Emma high as a kite.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Now if she could just have been responsible enough to lock up that stupid punchbowl somewhere safe

Baby steps Lyn, baby steps. Yeah that glass bowl was toast from the second it was introduced, its like when someone in a movie has a fancy car and they brag about in the first act, you know by act three that car is destined to be totaled. 

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with Lyn and Emma's dad. I want to think that he really has changed, but I am worried that he hasn't totally shaken the darkness out and it will just crush Lyn. 

Yeah that punchbowl was an obvious mother-in-law trap. Refuse it and you're an ingrate. Take it and it gets broken, MIL gets to hold it over you how irresponsible you are. Agreed on the suggestion she should have just pretended to use it, but i would have gone a step further. I would have actually mixed up a small batch of some truly pretentious punch, say dark rum, pineapple, grenadine, peach schnappes, etc, and left a bit in the bottom. Then MIL could complain about Lyn forgetting to wash it but also be impressed at her extravagance.

So Lyn goes to a public event with her politician boyfriend AND his obviously disapproving mother—wearing a sheer blouse and no bra? Seriously, WTF was she thinking?! When she first put it on in Lyn’s room I assumed she was just trying it on and would put on a bra before she went out, but no. A sense of decorum seems to be completely beyond her.

Anyone else notice the look on Victor’s face when she told him the bar was making money? Why do I suddenly get the feeling he’ll contest Vida’s will?

• Love 2

Yes, no good is going to come from Lyn letting out the popularity of the bar. I don't trust him at all still.  But with only 1 episode left for the series, not sure how much they'll go with that.

I don't know who is worse Rudy and his controlling under the table, or the mother who just flat out says it. I think I rather her, than Rudy who says things like don't speak just look pretty and think there's nothing wrong with that. 

Can we free Johnny? He seems miserable and wanted no part of the event even before he saw Lyn with Rudy.   He and Karla are not happy like this. No good comes for that baby being around 2 miserable parents who fight all the time.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I don't know who is worse Rudy and his controlling under the table, or the mother who just flat out says it. I think I rather her, than Rudy who says things like don't speak just look pretty and think there's nothing wrong with that. 

Can we free Johnny? He seems miserable and wanted no part of the event even before he saw Lyn with Rudy.   He and Karla are not happy like this. No good comes for that baby being around 2 miserable parents who fight all the time.

You’re right, at least the mom’s cards are right out on the table. I suppose Lyn thinks she’s a challenge that she (Lyn) can win. I don’t.

Even without the mother issue, Lyn and Rudy are really not compatible for the long term. She complained to Victor (and rightly so) that Rudy had many opportunities to introduce her as a local business owner but did not. She thinks that would change once the bar becomes classier, but I really don’t think that would make any difference to him. He just wants arm candy—which, ironically enough, would have suited Lyn perfectly at the beginning of the series, but not anymore. 

Johnny and Karla: yikes. Karla was a damn fool to take him back after he cheated on her with Lyn. She and Johnny can co-parent without being together. And the way she was being this episode? (Not that I can really blame her one bit...) This relationship is not going to last either.

3 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

When she first put it on in Lyn’s room I assumed she was just trying it on and would put on a bra before she went out, but no. 

I thought the exact same thing.  Her nipples were obviously showing when she tried the top on at the house, so I don't know how she didn't see it later.  I just thought Lyn was going to put on a slip or a bra before she left.  

I wonder if Lyn is really ashamed of the direction the bar is taking, or she's just that insecure about what Rudy and his mother think of it.  However she feels, she needs to end it with Rudy, things aren't going to improve.  

Mari was right about the protest group; all they do is talk and plan but they don't do anything real.  That's why they're screaming at the bar every night, it's an easy target that makes it look like they're getting something done.  Meanwhile, the neighborhood is being gentrified and swallowed up by the larger corporations, but the protest group conveniently ignores that.  Mari was right to leave when she did, and I'm glad Emma told them off.

Johnny did look unhappy, and I don't think that's just a lack of sleep due to newfound fatherhood.  And if Karla is still holding a grudge, then she and Johnny need to end it.  They're just dragging things out now.

Looks like they're setting up someone for Eddy to move on with, and that's nice.  The other members of the drag group were awful, though.

I didn't like that Victor basically told Emma that he'd be waiting for her when she was ready, like nothing really happened.  I think he's full of shit and he's hiding behind his newfound religion.

• Love 1

I read that the finale is 1 hour, but it may not be not so difficult.  My predictions: Looks like they're setting the stage with Lyn/Johnny and Emma/Nico.  Eddy hooks up with the drag king who likes her and Lyn and Emma continue to co-own the bar.  Not sure about Mari.  Besides protesting, what is she interested in? 

I doubt Victor will stay around long.  Emma clearly hates him and after what he did to Vida, I can't blame her.  Lyn will learn the hard way that her father isn't what he seems.

Just now, dr pepper said:

As for the hypocracy of the protest group, is it possible one of them is being paid by the developer?

Ooh, that would be interesting.  I did notice that Yoli wasn't among the protestors, even though she's vocal about how much she hates Emma and Lyn.  Maybe she knows something about the group, or she realized that Mari is right.

• Love 1

Rudy is an empty suit and his mother is horrible. I don't like any of the guys Lyn has been with, including Johnny. Maybe that one Polish guy she bumped into awhile back would be good for her. 

I can't imagine Lyn as a born again Christian. Will she last a month? I think it's pretty clear that Emma didn't like her mother, but she absolutely hates her father. I wonder what really happened?

So it seems that Lyn and Emma are very close in age, probably less than two years. I think Emma is right around 30 so Lyn must be 28.5?? 

• Love 1

I am so glad that Emma told the protesters to shove it, I am so sick of their hypocritical bullshit. They constantly stand around screaming at Vidas, a local place run by people from their neighborhood, because its an easy target without the resources to really fight them and makes them feel like they're doing something, instead of them fighting the big corporations and agencies that are actually hurting the neighborhood out of cowardice. No wonder Mari left them behind. 

It also looks like that one person who was giving Emma shit for being bisexual continues to be asshole, this time to Eddie. Poor Eddie, at least it looks like she might have someone new in her life, lord knows she deserves to catch a break. I am also glad that she is giving more context to Emma and Vida and their relationship. 

This whole born again thing is so not going to last, its seems pretty obvious that Lyn is mostly doing this to bond with her dad, who I still dont trust. I think he will make a play for Vidas, and break Lyns heart in the process. 

I guess Lyn has spent so much time bra-less that she hardly even notices anymore!

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

This whole born again thing is so not going to last, its seems pretty obvious that Lyn is mostly doing this to bond with her dad

Well, presumably she had a catholic christening as a baby. And in the first season she did a folk magic cleansing ritual. And now she's had a full body baptism. So her soul should be squeaky clean.

Edited by dr pepper
oops mispelling

That was a nice finale, but anticlimactic.  Tanya Saracho did that viewers would be left to fill in the blanks, but it was disappointing to see Emma and Lyn at odds again.  And Emma just throwing her hands up and calling it quits felt like one step forward, two steps back.  That's basically how she ended last season until she got out of her funk and realized that Lyn had actually made the bar into something legitimate.  So seeing Emma angry at Lyn and not speaking to her just felt redundant.

Still, there were some great moments.  Loved seeing Mari come into her own.  Yes, it can end badly, but for now, she has a real direction, and she doesn't have to compromise her morals to do it.  And she's getting paid.

Welp, that's the end of Rudy.  What bothered me the most was that that the whole "pee on me" thing (maybe a pee/humiliation fetish?) wasn't to make Lyn better, but to satisfy some need of his own.  

Victor and his sermon over Emma was horrifying.  I hope some of his parishioners take heart to what Emma said, especially if they see the proof of how Victor beat his wife.  Bastard showed his true colors when Lyn confronted him.  

Wish they had never brought up Nico being married, because they just glossed over that detail.  Nico's ex being in her life would have been enough conflict.  Oh, well it doesn't matter now.  Even if Emma goes with Nico, I doubt she'll sell the bar.  

I wonder if Lyn and Johnny are getting married.  At least they can be together now.

I'll miss this show.  Could have easily gone for another 2 seasons.

• Love 2
On 5/26/2020 at 11:33 AM, tennisgurl said:

I guess Lyn has spent so much time bra-less that she hardly even notices anymore!

hey that's how I roll. Don't like it? Don't look.

So the series is over? Just like that? It seems like so much story left to tell. 

I am glad Johnnie and Lyn are going to try to make a go of things. The actors had/have some great chemistry.

Emma has the right to be a cold (Ice Queen) bitch. She learned early and quite well to hide who she really is inside. She was my favorite character.

• Love 1

What? This is the last season? Well that freaking sucks, we had so much more story to tell! I am glad at least that Lyn and Emma made peace, Mari gets an opportunity to be her own person and still practice her activism away from her loser group, Emma and Lyn are going to keep fighting to save Vidas, Eddie is getting closer to moving on, and that Lyn and Johnny might be making a real go at a relationship, but damn it I wanted more! 

Victor really showed his true colors, what a sack of crap. I am kind of mixed about the addition of Vida actually sending Emma away to protect her, as it seems to raise more questions about their families backstory and Vida and her issues, which I always found to be interesting and complex, but I guess we would have gotten into that in the next season. Sigh. 

I am happy that Mari seems to be finally getting a real chance to make a difference (and get paid!) but I worried that the next season would have her struggle to keep her message on point while working for a corporation or that they would end up trying to interfere with her content, but now I am just going to say that it all worked out great for her. 

Emma selling the bar right away and trying to cut Lyn out of her life again seemed like her kind of backtracking, ducking behind her ice queen wall after she has spent so much time letting her guard down, but I guess that was kind of the point. The second she was hurt again (even if she never once trusted her father) she put her walls up again, but she did let Lyn back in again at the end at least. 

They did an alright job wrapping things up, but you can see what plots they would have done next season, probably Victor trying to take legal action to take Vidas, Mari at her new job, Emma and Nico figuring their stuff out as well as Johnny and Lyn, and continuing the theme of Emma learning to chill out and let people in, while Lyn learns to be more responsible and less selfish. I am sad that we wont get more, but I have really enjoyed what we got at least.

• Love 3
(edited)
45 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I am kind of mixed about the addition of Vida actually sending Emma away to protect her, as it seems to raise more questions about their families backstory and Vida and her issues, which I always found to be interesting and complex, but I guess we would have gotten into that in the next season. Sigh. 

Yes, exactly. Also, think of this. How long was the time period from when Emma was sent away to when Victor the father was arrested/deported? If that period was relatively short, wouldn't Vida have sent for Emma to return to her family, since he was gone? I would say if it were a few years or less, Emma would have returned home, maybe by the time she was in her late teens. 

I'm not a fan of Lyn and Johnny ending up together. Too much disfunction for it to last long term.

Two more seasons would have been perfect for this show. The seasons are very short anyway, so it's not like we are talking about another 30 episodes or more.

Edited by BigDfromLA
  • Love 3
On 6/2/2020 at 3:50 PM, tennisgurl said:

What? This is the last season?

Sadly, the show got canceled, but given a final season to sum things up.  A lot to wrap up in 6 episodes, so the eps were extended.  

I know they were lucky to get a send off season at all, but I was definitely left wanting more.

• Love 2

I think they were able to do a good job in wrapping things up and setting them up for the future with the time they had. 

The show ends with a future for them all where is open to interpretation. Lyn and Johnny will move on together, Lyn and Emma fight for their bar against the father and win, Eddy will move on in the future, Emma and Nico will continue on, Mari continues her path. 

Mari gets a job, in a future in doing what she's passionate about. 

Eddy we see show she's not ready to move on right now, but there's the future out there for her where she can see some happiness/light/

Johnny  is not longer trying to make it work with Karla a women he doesn't love for sake of the baby. He's back home and they're co-parenting. 

Lyn dumps Rudy the guy who she was just changing herself for, because Johnny was with Karla.  Then instead of Johnny/Lyn jumping back into their routine of back and forth that they've been on since highschool they do an adult thing and decide to try their relationship for real. It's always been him for her, and for her she's always only wanted and ran back to him too. 

Then the big one with Lyn/Emma, they stick together this time. They will band together, Emma won't give up on her and they'll be united as family again their father. I'll also predict that as they do that they'll have the support of Eddy, Johnny, Nico, and the community. 

I do wish the end may be had a flash forward, but I understand why they left it the way they did.

• Love 1