Type keyword(s) to search

Proven Innocent - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I really liked this episode and continue to not understand why people don’t like this show.   I really like that fu al scene of Madeline punching reporter guy.  She spent ten years in prison.  Of course she knows how to throw a punch.  I also really liked that this week the person they picked was actually guilty but pushed all of Madeline’s buttons in a way that made it believable that she would go gangbusters to win the case.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I find this show kind of interesting but it has a lot of problems. I actually live in the suburb they talked about in this episode and I’m a reporter for a major Chicago paper so it is fun seeing the misrepresentations ( and my husband is a non crooked cop!).

Why is Maddie in charge of everything instead of Easy? She sure pushes her weight around. Other annoying things:

Our newspaper doesn’t publish gossip or rumors

How do these lawyers pay their bills? Most lawyers involved in these projects maintain regular law practices 

Why wouldn’t they investigate this professor. And the secret hand touch thing was done better on LA Law

Are we supposed to cheer for Maddie beating up people? I have a lot more nitpicks but I will save them for next week

So, wait. Reporters don't just get the story their editor tells them to, even if it's not true? Editors don't admonish their reporters for sleeping with story subjects when they don't yield the right story? I actually think prosecutors and defense lawyers get a fair shake, but reporters get treated like total bottom feeders on this show.

• Love 2

Just watched this since I binged The OA, which is another show I like that many don't. That one is super weird and confusing so I get it. Strangely enough Vincent Kartheiser was also on it. This show though, it's not the best ever but it's good enough for a Friday show. 

I liked that they showed them being duped because I imagine that would happen to these innocence projects. I guess we're supposed to think the reporter fell for Madeline. He still pursued her for the story and gave the details she shared with him to his boss. While beating him up like that it completely wrong it shows that Madeline still has her prison mentality which is what I'm seeing in most of the things she does. She reacts to things like she's still in prison. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

S01.E07:   Living and Dying in East Cleveland

Summary:  Madeline takes a road trip alongside civil rights activist Amina Jackson, to fight for justice for Davon Watkins, a man on death row for killing a police officer. Meanwhile, Madeline attempts to save Levi from another sticky situation, while Bellows and Sanchez deliberate re-opening the case against them both.

2 hours ago, ketose said:

I'd prefer they drop the forces of evil going after Madeline and Levi as it is beginning to take up most of the show.

You likely will not get your wish as the female (Sanchez?) has planted herself in Levi's anger management class.

Just wondering if those sessions are protected as A-A is, whereby anything said in the room stays in the room. Although her plot seems to be to get him to say something incriminating. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, preeya said:

You likely will not get your wish as the female (Sanchez?) has planted herself in Levi's anger management class.

Just wondering if those sessions are protected as A-A is, whereby anything said in the room stays in the room. Although her plot seems to be to get him to say something incriminating. 

Confessions are probably not admissible. However, she's looking for some kind of lead that could get the kind of evidence to find both of the Scotts guilty.

10 minutes ago, ketose said:

Confessions are probably not admissible. However, she's looking for some kind of lead that could get the kind of evidence to find both of the Scotts guilty.

IMO, it's highly unlikely that two people committed the murder, and I don't think they conspired to do it. Therefore, I cannot fathom how they both were originally convicted.

That said, why isn't super-lawyer Madeline using all her talents/resources to actually attempt to solve that murder. After all, even though the conviction was overturned Bellows is still frothing to get her/them back in court for a retrial.

• Love 1

What exactly is Bellows going to charge Madeline with? She can't be tried for the same crime twice. And like we've seen with Madeline getting a case reopened takes more then a maybe confession from a drug addict in Anger Management. I don't know why the lawyer was so proud of herself. How is that going to count in court?

If they were actually investigating the Rosemary murder and not just trying to stick it to Madeline, they would've gone after the reporter that wrote the piece on her. He might have a different opinion of her now that she beat him up. 

As for the case I am glad that they are showing that Madeline is not a magical lawyer, they got a guilty client out last week and this time they only got a stay of execution, they didn't win the case. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

What exactly is Bellows going to charge Madeline with? She can't be tried for the same crime twice. And like we've seen with Madeline getting a case reopened takes more then a maybe confession from a drug addict in Anger Management. I don't know why the lawyer was so proud of herself. How is that going to count in court?

If they were actually investigating the Rosemary murder and not just trying to stick it to Madeline, they would've gone after the reporter that wrote the piece on her. He might have a different opinion of her now that she beat him up. 

As for the case I am glad that they are showing that Madeline is not a magical lawyer, they got a guilty client out last week and this time they only got a stay of execution, they didn't win the case. 

I was wondering how they can retry them too.

Isn't getting Levy forced into anger management only to pry him for info entrapment? And what kind if evidence is going to exist 17 years later. I doubt there's video of the crime. And if they still had the murder weapon wouldn't it have been found back then?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Again, I have to refer to Rectify because there was a similar situation. As I recall, there and here, the original verdict was thrown out and the DA decided not to re-try the case. However, they may have the right to retry at a later date, as long as there is new evidence.

(edited)
15 hours ago, ketose said:

Again, I have to refer to Rectify because there was a similar situation. As I recall, there and here, the original verdict was thrown out and the DA decided not to re-try the case. However, they may have the right to retry at a later date, as long as there is new evidence.

Found this:

Under the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, prosecutors may not try a defendant for the same crime twice. For this reason, a person that is found not guilty by a jury cannot be then forced to face trial a second time.

The double jeopardy protection does not apply, however, to a case where the defendant has successfully appealed his conviction. In such cases, prosecutors do have the right to retry a defendant a second time, although they must do so in light of whatever issues the appeals court relied upon in overturning the conviction.

When Prosecutors Will Retry After an Appeal

Whether a defendant will face retrial after an appeal is obviously an important question to consider, as a second conviction may deny that person the benefit of their efforts to appeal. Furthermore, a second conviction can include a second criminal sentence which may be more or less harsh than the original sentence.

Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to retry after a conviction is completely within the discretion of the prosecutor’s office that had originally tried the case. In general, prosecutors bring cases on retrial when they think they have enough evidence to win, the potential for a sympathetic jury, and there is enough public sentiment in favor of retrial.

Very few prosecutors intentionally bring cases they think they will lose, and so the decision on whether to conduct a retrial will be based on a variety of factors, but one of the key factors will be in whether they can believe they can score another conviction in light of the appeals court decision. If the appeals court threw out a main piece of evidence used in prosecuting the case, such as a confession or the admission of contraband, the prosecutors may not have the ability to win without that evidence, and thus would decline to retry. Likewise, if the court ruled that the jury was given incorrect instructions on the law, and the correct reading of the law would never support a second conviction, this may be another reason not to retry.

Edited by preeya

The transgender woman's trial was ridiculous. The whole thing apparently took 5 minutes, Madeleine tells him to tell the truth, & he does. After all the years of hiding it, he just confesses everything. And Levi gets drunk & tells some woman he just met that Madeleine was acting strange the night Rosemary was murdered. WTF???? Not to mention the entire episode was a sledge hammer.

• Love 2

Not verbatim, but you get the idea:

"Hello Mom, I'm bi-sexual and I have a girlfriend"

"OK, bring her over, we'd like to meet her"

"I can't, she's in prison"

"Mom, hello Mom, Mom, CLICK!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm hoping they start to move forward with this show and concentrate on Bellows' plot for a retrial. The "case of the week" stuff just isn't cutting it for me. We know the premise is to represent victims of miscarriages of justice, but watching Madeleine do her courtroom schtick week after week is getting boring. If this show was on in a different timeslot I would not be watching.

Edited by preeya
(edited)

She came out to her mother over the phone. But i suppose your girlfriend being in prison isn't going to make the best impression. I wonder if the reason she was acting weird on the night Rosemary died was because she told Rosemary she was in love with her. And Rosemary didn't take it well. 

So Bellows wasn't going to reopen the case until his campaign manager said to. What was he doing then?Then he was always telling she murdered Rosemary but thought Levi did the deed and she just covered for him. Also do they really think that Levi would turn on his sister, especially from the way they got the info out of him. Doesn't the star witness need to be on your side to work? 

Edited by Sakura12
(edited)
On 4/8/2019 at 7:25 AM, Sakura12 said:

She came out to her mother over the phone. But i suppose your girlfriend being in prison isn't going to make the best impression. I wonder if the reason she was acting weird on the night Rosemary died was because she told Rosemary she was in love with her. And Rosemary didn't take it well. 

So Bellows wasn't going to reopen the case until his campaign manager said to. What was he doing then?Then he was always telling she murdered Rosemary but thought Levi did the deed and she just covered for him. Also do they really think that Levi would turn on his sister, especially from the way they got the info out of him. Doesn't the star witness need to be on your side to work? 

I'm thinking Levi is on to Bellows' spy tactics and he (Levi) may be setting them up by giving them false info.

Edited by preeya

So they did lose the death penalty case. I figured the gangster guy was going to kill Madeline's girlfriend when she got out of prison. But I suppose he won and doesn't need to do anything else. 

What new evidence does Bellows have to bring the death penalty to Madelines case. 

43 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

What new evidence does Bellows have to bring the death penalty to Madelines case. 

Apparently, they are going to say Levi said something incriminating when he was in anger management with Bellows' spy. However, I'm thinking Levi was wise to the "trap" and purposely gave them something false, which will eventually make Bellows look like a fool.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Apparently, they are going to say Levi said something incriminating when he was in anger management with Bellows' spy. However, I'm thinking Levi was wise to the "trap" and purposely gave them something false, which will eventually make Bellows look like a fool.

That would be an interesting twist.  But even if it wasn't a lie, I am struggling to see how Levi saying Madeline wasn't looking for Rosemary that night would be considered strong enough new evidence to send her to the death penalty. Even if it was admissible, there could be many reasons she wasn't looking for Rosemary.

I hope they start to spend more time on Rosemary's case and the idea for a retrial, it is much more interesting than the case of the week stuff.

• Love 2

Interesting that some of you want the "case of the week" gone. I have to confess I wish it were just the "case of the week".  Trying to retry Madeline and Levi for an old murder isn't something I'm interested in.   

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Allison1 said:

Interesting that some of you want the "case of the week" gone. I have to confess I wish it were just the "case of the week".  Trying to retry Madeline and Levi for an old murder isn't something I'm interested in.   

We never saw the original trial. The only facts we know are what we've been told since the start date. I think it would be an interesting plotline to see what Bellows has up his sleeve. If they are truly innocent then there is a real killer that hasn't been ID'd and brought to justice.

Edited by preeya
1 hour ago, preeya said:

We never saw the original trial. The only facts we know are what we've been told since the start date. I think it would be an interesting plotline to see what Bellows has up his sleeve. If they are truly innocent then there is a real killer that hasn't been ID'd and brought to justice.

I would be interested in a flashback episode about the trial. We've heard about how most of the other clients have been wrongly convicted, but we haven't heard that much about Madeline and Levi.

7 hours ago, Allison1 said:

I don't want to see a re-trial as much as I want to see them investigate the original case and find the real killer.

• Love 2

I know they can't win all their cases and I prefer they don't but dang the death penalty one made me tear up

Then I got mad that they did win the stepdaughter one when she was guilty.

Can someone explain to me how Bellows thinks he's going to try them again for Rosemary's murder? The man supposedly went to law school, he must have heard of double jeopardy

The U.S. Constitution's Fifth Amendment contains a Double Jeopardy Clause, which says that no person shall "be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb." Most state constitutions similarly protect individuals from being tried twice for the same crime. For criminal defendants, this is a crucial constitutional right.

How does he plan on trying somebody who was convicted & served jail time?

5 hours ago, GaT said:

Can someone explain to me how Bellows thinks he's going to try them again for Rosemary's murder? The man supposedly went to law school, he must have heard of double jeopardy

How does he plan on trying somebody who was convicted & served jail time?

I think Double Jeopardy doesn't apply here.

Under the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, prosecutors may not try a defendant for the same crime twice. For this reason, a person that is found not guilty by a jury cannot be then forced to face trial a second time.

The double jeopardy protection does not apply, however, to a case where the defendant has successfully appealed his conviction. In such cases, prosecutors do have the right to retry a defendant a second time, although they must do so in light of whatever issues the appeals court relied upon in overturning the conviction.

When Prosecutors Will Retry-After an Appeal

Whether a defendant will face a retrial after an appeal is obviously an important question to consider, as a second conviction may deny that person the benefit of their efforts to appeal. Furthermore, a second conviction can include a second criminal sentence which may be more or less harsh than the original sentence.

Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to retry after a conviction is completely within the discretion of the prosecutor’s office that had originally tried the case. In general, prosecutors bring cases on retrial when they think they have enough evidence to win, the potential for a sympathetic jury, and there is enough public sentiment in favor of retrial.

Very few prosecutors intentionally bring cases they think they will lose, and so the decision on whether to conduct a retrial will be based on a variety of factors, but one of the key factors will be in whether they can believe they can score another conviction in light of the appeals court decision. If the appeals court threw out a main piece of evidence used in prosecuting the case, such as a confession or the admission of contraband, the prosecutors may not have the ability to win without that evidence, and thus would decline to retry. Likewise, if the court ruled that the jury was given incorrect instructions on the law, and the correct reading of the law would never support a second conviction, this may be another reason not to retry.

Edited by preeya
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, izabella said:

I never caught what Madeline's girlfriend was in jail for.   Does anyone know?

Armed robbery at a liquor store. She got a 20 year sentence because the clerk was hurt.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, preeya said:

I think Double Jeopardy doesn't apply here.

I didn't realize that double jeopardy only applies to people found innocent, thanks. Now it seems like a stupid rule. In the context of the show, it seems ridiculous.

What I want to know is why was Madeline so proud to tell her mom she was bi a couple episodes ago and in this last episode she couldn't tell her friends that. 

They are making it really obvious that Heather was the one that killed Rosemary or knows who did. 

Edited by Sakura12
28 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

What I want to know is why was Madeline so proud to tell her mom she was bi a couple episodes ago and in this last episode she couldn't tell her friends that. 

They are making it really obvious that Heather was the one that killed Rosemary or knows who did. 

Yes, they are, but I'm sure there will be some convoluted twist that will eventually show the "real killer."

Anyone, what's up with all the initials and counting markings carved into the wall of the abandoned building?

proven.JPG

As others have explained double jeopardy doesn't apply because Madeline technically hasn't been found innocent yet.  If this were real life I imagine that would drive a person crazy; whether guilty or innocent knowing at any moment they could decide they had more evidence to re-try you and police could just show up and arrest you.  Like having a sword over your head 24/7.

I really wish there was someone who would see Levi and Isabel together and clue him in; I still can't believe that much of what he says would be helpful or even admissible if she testified.  The best they can hope for is what they got, a few clues to look for more evidence in other places.

I really hope Heather is the killer just because it would be a waste to make her such an unlikable shrewish smug bully and have that just be her personality with no agenda or secret behind it.

If it helps for those wondering about the Rosemary murder, Madeline as a suspect, where Bellows is going with it and the true killer:  

Spoiler

There will be a re-trial and a resolution before the end of the season, the show runners have said that will happen and the murder will be solved.  But it's likely Madeline is going to trial first and the true killer will be revealed there because the final two episodes are titled "In Defense of Madeline Scott" Part I and Part II.

• Useful 1
On 4/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, preeya said:

Anyone, what's up with all the initials and counting markings carved into the wall of the abandoned building?

proven.JPG

I'm thinking that it's showing that there is a "serial killer cult" who has been responsible for a number of homicides, including Rosemary's.  

I mostly like this show.  I hope Levi is on to the fellow anger management attendee, can't remember her name right now.  Otherwise, even though what he's sharing could be innocuous, it could be twisted by Bellows to be used against Madeline.

• Love 1

S01.E11:  Shaken  (04/26/2019)

Summary:  The team takes on the case of a mother, Gabrielle Parcell, who is serving a life sentence for shaking her infant daughter, leading to her death. Meanwhile, Levi and Madeline uncover more truths about Rosemary's past and their high school class, while Bellows and his team continue their mission to send Madeline back to prison.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, preeya said:

S01.E11:  Shaken  (04/26/2019)

Summary:  The team takes on the case of a mother, Gabrielle Parcell, who is serving a life sentence for shaking her infant daughter, leading to her death. Meanwhile, Levi and Madeline uncover more truths about Rosemary's past and their high school class, while Bellows and his team continue their mission to send Madeline back to prison.

It was pretty hackey, but I kind of agreed with the podcast clip about finding people guilty for the sake of finding them guilty. Most of what happened to the baby was unintentional (except for Dr. Coverup) but there was some need to find a guilty party.

However, this teenage sex cult murder mystery is getting hella stupid. This just seems like an unnecessary C plot at this point.

• Love 1

I thought Bellows was finally going to be smart and had the light fingerprinted and found Heather's fingerprints on it. But no he's going to blindly take the word of someone who hates Madeline as much as he does. Obviously this whole stupid thing is going to lead to his downfall. Adding the sex cult thing is dumb and unnecessary. Are they trying to do an Alison Mack storyline before anyone else. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

I thought Bellows was finally going to be smart and had the light fingerprinted and found Heather's fingerprints on it. But no he's going to blindly take the word of someone who hates Madeline as much as he does. Obviously this whole stupid thing is going to lead to his downfall. Adding the sex cult thing is dumb and unnecessary. Are they trying to do an Alison Mack storyline before anyone else. 

And he practically told Heather to lie.  "Are you sure you don't recognize this? Because if you said you saw Madeline with it the night Rosemary died, I'd be able to arrest her."

I think the cases are getting more interesting. Is the science around diagnosing shaken baby syndrome true? It is pretty sad if that many people really are in prison because they didn't understand a medical issue fully.

• Love 1

Let me get this straight, a lantern that's been underwater for 17 years, is miraculously retrieved, and in a forensic lab's record time is deemed to be a murder weapon.  All this while the key piece of evidence sits in the DA's office on display for any and all visitors to view and handle. Sorry, Gore Bellows your case will not hold water (pun intended).

• Love 4
20 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I'm thinking that it's showing that there is a "serial killer cult" who has been responsible for a number of homicides, including Rosemary's.  

After this episode, I think my guess is wrong.  I'm sure the "sex cult" will have something to do with Rosemary's murder, but where they're going with this?  Not a clue!

The lantern may be the weapon, but what evidence, other than Heather's statement, do they have that says Madeline had it and could have used it as a weapon?  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

After this episode, I think my guess is wrong.  I'm sure the "sex cult" will have something to do with Rosemary's murder, but where they're going with this?  Not a clue!

And we have yet to have the identity of the "sex cult guru" revealed. It's highly likely he or someone else that we haven't seen yet is the real murderer.  IMHO Gore Bellows is an idiot.

• Love 2

I'd hate to say it, but I'm really hoping that Kelsey Grammer only wants this to be a 1 season gig and his character will be defeated and humiliated by the end of the season so this Rosemary crap is over with.

• Love 5
On 4/27/2019 at 1:22 PM, ketose said:

I'd hate to say it, but I'm really hoping that Kelsey Grammer only wants this to be a 1 season gig and his character will be defeated and humiliated by the end of the season so this Rosemary crap is over with.

Oh I’ll say it loud and clear-I fast forward through the Rosemary crap because I just can’t stand it. I find it boring, contrived, and just plain stupid. And that blond woman, I think Heather is her name (see, I don’t even know) is so full of herself and snooty and a liar. And that woman who “befriended” Levi but really works for Kelsey Grammer-you’d think Levi would get a clue after so many people betraying him and Madeline. 

I did like this week’s case and hope that they come up with some more interesting ones. I guess it was implied but I’m surprised the judge didn’t come right out and say that we will never know if baby Amelia would still be alive if she got immediate medical attention. 

End rant. 

• Love 2
On 4/27/2019 at 1:01 PM, preeya said:

And we have yet to have the identity of the "sex cult guru" revealed. It's highly likely he or someone else that we haven't seen yet is the real murderer.  IMHO Gore Bellows is an idiot.

The "cult guru" was named as Rob.  I had to rewind to find that and make sure because when Gore was talking to his campaign financier whose name is Rick I got weird vibes from him, the face he made when Gore showed him the so called murder weapon, his interest in looking at it, just the whole way he spoke and acted when he was told the lantern had been found in the lake.  I don't think it's the same guy, I think it's either me reading to much into it or they did make him act strangely on purpose as a red herring.  But if they are going in a weird sex cult nxivm headlines copycat sort of direction then I do think it would be interesting twist if he was the guru using Gore to get the heat back on Maddy so it doesn't lead to him.  I guess we'll find out either way in the next two weeks, I predict the next episode will end with all looking dark and dire for Maddy and her conviction looking like a done deal so that Easy, Levi and the rest of the team can pull a hail mary in the finale.

If this is one season and they wrap up the Rosemary murder at the end then it will at least finish off like a mini-series and not drag on or leave us wondering what might have happened or who did it.  I think I'm in the minority that I do actually like it from week to week and am hoping for a season 2 but it's bleeding viewers week after week and Russell Hornsby is signed on to another TV series as the lead character (with another Grimm alumnus Claire Coffee!).  Does that mean he knows something we don't, or that he's leaving even if there's an S2 because if they get renewed it won't be the same without him.  Unless he plans to do both shows if it's renewed.  Guess it's a wait and see game but as I said if they wrap up the Rosemary plot at the end of S1 I'll miss the show for S2 but still be satisfied.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

How can they try Madeline again for Rosemary's murder? Isn't that double jeopardy?

Apparently Madeline wasn't proven innocent when she got released, Easy just found that the State didn't have enough evidence to prove Madeline killed Rosemary beyond a reasonable doubt. So she can be charged for the same crime.  

Is Levi really testifying against Madeline, I hope he's smarter than that. I also wonder if the lawyer that Bellows fired will go to Madeline's side or at least tell them what Bellows is doing.  Does he really believe Madeline killed Rosemary or does he just think if he wins this case he will be a star. I'd say something about his intelligence but that doesn't seem to matter when politics are involved. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

How can they try Madeline again for Rosemary's murder? Isn't that double jeopardy?

The double jeopardy protection does not apply to a case where the defendant has successfully appealed his conviction.  In such cases, prosecutors do have the right to retry a defendant a second time, although they must do so in light of whatever issues the appeals court relied upon in overturning the conviction.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Is Levi really testifying against Madeline, I hope he's smarter than that. I also wonder if the lawyer that Bellows fired will go to Madeline's side or at least tell them what Bellows is doing.  Does he really believe Madeline killed Rosemary or does he just think if he wins this case he will be a star. I'd say something about his intelligence but that doesn't seem to matter when politics are involved. 

This I don't understand. He just disappears, without a trace, and all of a sudden he cops a plea for testifying against his sister. Makes no sense to me.  This will all probably be unraveled by the female lawyer that Bellows double-crossed.  Her revenge will be sweet.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, preeya said:

This I don't understand. He just disappears, without a trace, and all of a sudden he cops a plea for testifying against his sister. Makes no sense to me.  This will all probably be unraveled by the female lawyer that Bellows double-crossed.  Her revenge will be sweet.

I hope so, because it makes no sense to me either. And why was his wallet still in his apartment? So glad next week is the finale, it better not end on a cliffhanger, but I don't see how they're going to wrap the whole Rosemary plot up in an hour.

• Love 2