Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Opening Night

Bort

Putting my thoughts on the episodes as a whole here, so as not to inadvertently spoil people:

ISSUES:

* I found DJ's outfits ridiculous for a working mom of three. I get that Candace was in great shape, but she was painted into most of her ensembles. 

* I can't anymore with the song and dance numbers. I'm glad there were fewer of them this year than last season.

* I accept the ridiculous catchphrases as part of watching the show, but they were out of control this season.

* They need to just hire a new Michelle -- maybe grab another actress known for family shows in the 80s/90s. But her just up and missing all these milestones in her sisters' lives is crazy.

ON THE UPSIDE: 

* Age has helped Elias -- I enjoy Max much more when he's not screaming all his lines.

* The new showrunners brought more realism to the overarching storylines, which I enjoyed. Jackson was a douchey freshman, in a relatively understandable way. I hope they get a fifth season.

• Love 4

Not a bad ending to the season.

I am impressed with how they directed the labour scene. They added the right mixture of heartwarming and funny. It was actually pretty well done, especially the choice in music. Of course I thought they'd have a girl. 

I didn't think Jimmy would propose. I was convinced Steve would propose to DJ before Jimmy did with Steph. I actually thought Steve would show up to propose. 

So, Jackson/Rocki broke up and got back together very quickly. It was interesting to get a glimpse of a different type of Rocki, which was cool. Ramona inadvertently being a third wheel was pretty funny. 

If the show doesn't get renewed, it was a decent way to end the series. 

• Love 7
On 12/14/2018 at 11:28 PM, jmonique said:

* Age has helped Elias -- I enjoy Max much more when he's not screaming all his lines.

* The new showrunners brought more realism to the overarching storylines, which I enjoyed. Jackson was a douchey freshman, in a relatively understandable way. I hope they get a fifth season.

Yeah, Max is much more enjoyable now as opposed to season 1. I'm thinking the line that Kimmy told Max that his "holy chalupas" catchphrase made her noxious was a nod to that.

I did not watch the back-half of season 3, but I did think season 4 was more balanced as opposed to what season 3 was like. I also liked that we did not see Joey's demon spawn because they are awful characters.

If this is the end of the show, it was a good way to end it. I did notice that there was much less licensed music than there was in seasons 2 and 3 (it was really noticeable in the 1970's episode), which makes me think they cut the budget.

• Love 5

Oh I forgot one thing I really liked about this season as opposed to the others -- I thought the new showrunners did a really good job of making Kimmy quirky AF, but less of a cartoon character than they had her in the first few seasons. There were no jokes about her smell, etc. They really grounded her in a good way.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, jmonique said:

Oh I forgot one thing I really liked about this season as opposed to the others -- I thought the new showrunners did a really good job of making Kimmy quirky AF, but less of a cartoon character than they had her in the first few seasons. There were no jokes about her smell, etc. They really grounded her in a good way.

They did the same thing with Fernando. They also toned down the Ricky Ricardo accent.

It was also nice that he got to sing in his real voice, as opposed to when he'd sing in the Ricky Ricardo voice. It's a really nice voice.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 10

If this is it for the series, I think it's a good ending, certainly much better than last season's "everyone moves back" ending. (Thank you, television gods, for not subjecting us to Joey's horrible children!)

All three primary protagonists are in better places than they were when the show started. DJ started out overwhelmed by the idea of single-parenting three boys; now, regardless of where things go with Steve, she's confidently in control of her life. Stephanie started out grieving her lost fertility and hiding it because DJ had just been widowed; now, she has the fiancee and the baby. Kimmy started out as a cartoon with a cheating husband; now she's quirky, and can reasonably trust that Fernando--  who covered up Jackson's teen drinking so he can function as Jackson's confidant should worse issues arise-- has matured into being a part of the family she wants.

I wouldn't mind another season, but this is a stopping place I like.

• Love 5
On 12/15/2018 at 5:56 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I didn't think Jimmy would propose. I was convinced Steve would propose to DJ before Jimmy did with Steph. I actually thought Steve would show up to propose. 

Yeah, I'm with you. I was secretly waiting for Steve the entire time - I feel like there was a missed subplot with him being at the airport. 

But the episode was sweet and I liked that there wasn't any "funny" pregnancy snafu like twins or giving birth in the house or something. Very sweet. 

• Love 2

I like that the new show-runners have toned down the show quite a bit this season, at least as much as a Full House spin off can be. They backed off some of the more annoying aspects of the earlier seasons (the dance numbers, the hammy fourth wall jokes, stupid catch phrases) and they allowed some of the more cartoony characters, especially Fernando and Kimmy, be more realistic and well rounded characters. They're still the quirky comic relief, but they actually acted like normal humans most of the time and not just cartoon characters. Like, I cant imagine season one or two Fernando telling DJ that he didnt tell her about Jackson drinking because he wants him to trust him to come to him with problems from a mans perspective as he grows up. 

The birth scene, despite the opening night colonial dress shenanigans, was surprisingly sweet and wackiness free. The song choice and the actors sold it really well. 

I would like another season, but I would be alright if this was how the show ended. Everyone is in a good place, and we ended on a happy note. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

I loved when they handed Stephanie the baby and she moved closer to Kimmy and put Kimmy's hand on the baby. Kimmy looked so happy with her new little niece. I really liked Jimmy's proposal. I hadn't predicted it before he pulled her aside, but it felt right especially since they brought up Jimmy stepping up and being more adult and some confusion over the labels of his and Stephanie's relationship.

5 bucks says the baby is named Kimberly. Especially since Pamela's taken. If we get no new season I'm standing by this theory. 

• Love 8
On 1/8/2019 at 8:36 PM, bettername2come said:

5 bucks says the baby is named Kimberly. Especially since Pamela's taken. If we get no new season I'm standing by this theory. 

I was thinking that too. They could tell them apart by calling Kimmie - Kimberlina! : )

• Love 2

Something that has been bothering me is for the past two seasons they have had Steve talk about his ex-wife and how she took everything including the dog. So, here is something interesting, why have they never gone into why the two never had any children? Was it mutual? Could they not have children? Steve has formed a relationship with Jackson. Both Fernado, Steve and Jimmy agree, they are spooked by Max at time and love Tommy. Yeah, I get it, but even if there is a season 5 and if Steve did marry DJ, he would be a stepfather and most likely the other "father" that Tommy Jr would know. I also find that weird when they just gloss over something like that, especially on a revival show like Fuller House. If Steve went off to medical school, met someone and then was married for a good portion of a decade. Yet, we find out it was a marriage that just drifted apart and Steve regrets he didn't try for DJ before he met his ex. What happened in his first marriage to the point, she got the dog and his old house. 

• Love 3

I don't think Steve is infertile, or at least he doesn't know if he is. He made a quip to DJ about how his children with DJ would have great hair like him in a fantasy sequence, with Matt making the joke that it wouldn't be for long, referring to Steve's receding hairline.

If the show does get a 5th season or beyond, I really don't want any storyline with DJ having a kid with Steve. Marriage, sure.  I get that it's always been the endgame or whatever. But it would feel weird to give a working woman in her 40's a 4th child when the 3rd child isn't even pre-K. It would only be for the purpose of giving Steve a "real" child and for a show that has had the enduring legacy of "it takes a village" for 30 years that would be pretty icky.

• Love 5
On 1/22/2019 at 6:20 PM, methodwriter85 said:

If the show does get a 5th season or beyond, I really don't want any storyline with DJ having a kid with Steve.

TV shows are notorious about rewriting history and having bad continuity.  The reason DJ didn't have the baby for Stephanie was because she had a difficult pregnancy with Tommy and the Dr. told her it would be too risky.  She also has referred to Tommy as her last child.  

• Love 4