Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I think that BoP answer probably comes off a lot better in person than it does in print. There was probably truth behind it, because that's not the first time she's mentioned a spin-off, but I think it was probably mentioned in a lighthearted way.

I don't think there is any truth to it at all. There was a deliberate attempt at a soft pilot to gauge interest in S2 (along with a Young Justice and Suicide Squad). We ended up with a Suicide Squad movie and a Teen Titans TV show (currently in limbo, last i looked) and a big NO on BoP.

She's basically talking put of her ass here. This is a puff piece put together by her Publicist nothing more. She's trying to sell herself but there is no intention of doing a BoP spinoff

• Love 4

I think if it is shade, it's very unintentionally thrown. Katie and Emily appear to be friends, so I'm sure she's not going around trying to sabotage Emily's career. I'm thinking that trying to say that it's exciting to be a lead (female) character on the show where her duty is not love interest. And seeing how this is the CW I'm sure it is exciting.

Also I don't see Emily's Felicity as solely love interest and I don't think anyone else but the hard core comics fans do either.

The CW is actually the last place that that would be the norm. Jane the Virgin, Reign, The 100, Crazy Ex Girlfriend, iZombie, The Vampire Diaries. Off the top of my head, those are shows with female leads or co-leads, whose primary duty is not to be the love interest to a more important male lead. Many of them have romantic storylines, but that's not their role on those shows.

It's not remarkable on The CW to create your female leads with more than "love interest" in mind. In fact, Arrow and The Flash are the only shows on the network that seem to have screwed up in that regard. (Other than Supernatural, which just doesn't bother with women? Or that's my impression as a non-viewer.)

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 8

I don't think there is any truth to it at all. There was a deliberate attempt at a soft pilot to gauge interest in S2 (along with a Young Justice and Suicide Squad). We ended up with a Suicide Squad movie and a Teen Titans TV show (currently in limbo, last i looked) and a big NO on BoP.

She's basically talking put of her ass here. This is a puff piece put together by her Publicist nothing more. She's trying to sell herself but there is no intention of doing a BoP spinoff

I didn't mean that there was a pilot in the works, I meant that there's truth in her statement - that she wants a spinoff and a starring role in it, but I think when she mentioned it during the interview, she was probably teasing.

• Love 1

Yeah, here is the video if you're curious. For some reason it was cut off from the 3 parter on youtube.

https://twitter.com/OlicitysArrow/status/649019072974319616

Doesn't sound as bad when hearing it. She is cool with being a strong female, having her own storyline and if they want to make Felicity, Olivers love interest she is fine with it. Not actually saying that Felicity is just a love interest while she can be a strong female with her own storylines.

Doesn't sound as bad when hearing it. She is cool with being a strong female, having her own storyline and if they want to make Felicity, Olivers love interest she is fine with it. Not actually saying that Felicity is just a love interest while she can be a strong female with her own storylines.

I think she could have easily just left out the love interest part completely. All she had to say was I'm thrilled to play a kickass superhero. The End.

• Love 4

Truthfully I wonder how much of friends KC and EBR really are. I mean they could just be PR friends.

I do feel like KC's comments are shading EBR even if unintentionally and really any other character who is a love interest. I mean on Arrow and the Flash even the love interests do have other things to do. So I just don't see the point of that at all. YMMV

We've seen them hang out to much through both video and photo for them to be PR friends. They aren't that big that it would matter or have any effect on their careers.

I think she could have easily just left out the love interest part completely. All she had to say was I'm thrilled to play a kickass superhero. The End.

It sounded as if she might have been asked about being a love interest, Felicity or Olicity. Yeah she didn't have to bring her up if she wasn't asked about the character but she didn't say anything bad in the long run.

Well, it does sound shady to me. Now whether or not it's intentional, I don't know. I'm not one to analyze everything she says, I mostly ignore her. I don't care for Laurel & I'm not a Katie fan, so I steer clear. However, when I saw that on twitter it was the first time I thought she said some intentionally shitty. That's my perception.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 2

We've seen them hang out to much through both video and photo for them to be PR friends. They aren't that big that it would matter or have any effect on their careers.

IMO they can hang out with each other a lot and it still be PR purposes not legitimate BFFs.  I mean I think about Padalecki and Amell and whilst I think they are friends I find the timing of their hanging out usually is not too long before or after a campaign of some kind comes out. I'm just cynical LOL. 

• Love 3

That isn't getting press because of their friendship, that's just an interviewer already interviewing her asking her about her friendship. They don't have anyone talking about them outside of the usual Arrow-centric interviews. Kaley Cuoco/Henry Cavill were a PR relationship.

What was the Young Justice soft pilot?

Tremors.

The end result of all three soft pilots was to get nearly everyone featured in them other than Diggle, Lyla, Amanda Waller and Laurel kicked or mostly kicked off Arrow (Roy and Sin from "Tremors"; Bronze Tiger, Shrapnel and Deadshot from "Suicide Squad," Huntress and Sara from "Birds of Prey.") "Tremors" and "Suicide Squad," however, at least did well enough somewhere for WB to go ahead and put a Young Justice show into development hell and move the Suicide Squad film into production.  "Birds of Prey," not so much. 

I think its ridiculous when people give themselves their own nicknames. The Kamily thing on her social media felt a little forced. I do not care if they are real or fake friends. Honestly, does it even matter? But it is a little suspect when your hashtagging your own couple name.

I just don't think KC is great at interviews. She unintentionally shades people and just doesn't find the best way to say what she is thinking. Her answers feel like rehearsed but poorly phrased pageant answers.

And KC and her team wanted desperately to repair how the Arrow fandom sees her and her character. I am sorry but i dont buy that it took KC 3 years to interact more with EBR because of "trust issues" like she claims.

She spent most of her time isolated from the rest of the cast and given her fathers personal issues, I am not surprised. It makes sense once you start working more with someone, you start to bond more.

And KC and her team wanted desperately to repair how the Arrow fandom sees her and her character. I am sorry but i dont buy that it took KC 3 years to interact more with EBR because of "trust issues" like she claims.

What "trust issues"? I just figured that because they finally integrated KC into the main plot she was sharing more time on the same sets with EBR. So the friendship developed because now they spent time together, whereas in other seasons they have few if no shared scenes or set time.

What "trust issues"? I just figured that because they finally integrated KC into the main plot she was sharing more time on the same sets with EBR. So the friendship developed because now they spent time together, whereas in other seasons they have few if no shared scenes or set time.

Meh. Imo you don't need to spend time together in order to be friends. Willa/EBR & JB/EBR are friends, hell EBR/Chloe from AoS are friends and they aren't even filming in the same country (iirc). It all has to do with whether you want to be friends with someone or not. 

• Love 10

I dont know what trust issues. But that is what she answered to a fan who questioned her about all the sudden pics with Emily. I always think of Emily/Colin hanging out even though not sharing a single scene or Emily/Jessica or Emily/Willa. Colton/Emily were also all over the place in s1 and i dont think they actually shared scenes together.

• Love 2

I think it mightve been twitter where she said that she has trust issues so it takes her a while to cozy up to people.

If any "PR" relationship needed to happen, it would probably have to be between Candice Patton and Danielle Panabaker. Those two don't even make an effort to try to look friendly.

I think if it is shade, it's very unintentionally thrown. Katie and Emily appear to be friends, so I'm sure she's not going around trying to sabotage Emily's career. I'm thinking that trying to say that it's exciting to be a lead (female) character on the show where her duty is not love interest. And seeing how this is the CW I'm sure it is exciting.

Also I don't see Emily's Felicity as solely love interest and I don't think anyone else but the hard core comics fans do either.

I spent a year in Los Angeles, from 2003-2004.  I was a brand new attorney in an LA-based but not entertainment-focused biglaw firm.  My roommate was my long-time friend who had been trying to break in to acting.

I have never, in my life, met such a group of self-centered, shallow, hypocritical, thoughtless, back-stabbing people as I met in that year.  And therefore yeah, I can totally believe KC is using the hell out of EBR, the new bright shiny toy.  And hey, EBR might very well do the same thing if the situation were reversed.  But it's not.  KC may actually like EBR, who knows.  But I have no problem, at all, believing that KC is glomming on to EBR, now, in the fourth year of them working together prior to which KC seemingly had no interest in EBR, because EBR currently has buzz.  Because, with VERY FEW exceptions, every person I met in LA was exactly that way.

• Love 12

We'll never know if it's all PR or genuine but I guess I would say people shouldn't be quick to believe everything we see/read. Even happy set pics can be faked. It's entirely possible that there are trust issues and they're now friends. It's also possible for it to be PR. Whatever. Just let them get on with it.

Edited by Guest

Meh. Imo you don't need to spend time together in order to be friends. Willa/EBR & JB/EBR are friends, hell EBR/Chloe from AoS are friends and they aren't even filming in the same country (iirc). It all has to do with whether you want to be friends with someone or not. 

So true. I guess I was just trying to piece together why it took 3 years for it to happen. I was trying to create a benign backstory in my head. And having shared set downtime to me at least seemed logical. It's a matter of convenience sometimes for a friendship to start.

Edited by kismet

I think the friendship is PR tbh.It came out of nowhere after 3 years and always seemed forced to me.They wouldn't be the first to do that,especially with a leading lady situation as complicated as on Arrow.KC comes off as bitter in her interviews to me and I don't think if she was truly friends with EBR that she would be pushing Lauriver as much as she did during season 3 or that she would be saying all this not just a love interest stuff that comes off like shading EBR.Not to mention her dissmising Felicity all through season 1 and 2.I just don't see that as something you do when you're friends with someone.

• Love 2

For all we know, all the relationships could be PR. EBR/Chloe get more press then EBR/Katie do due to them being DC/Marvel.  But we will see in the next 2 years about any tensions rising, those things don't stay buried forever. Or we can just wait for the Lifetime Unauthorized Story of Arrow.

• Love 2

Hooray for Hollywood!

I honestly thought all the movies and tv shows about how awful it was were bullshit, but THEY ARE NOT.  Every waiter/barista/cop, etc., really does want to be an actor, or producer, or writer, or something.  Every person I met through my roommate asked me what I did for a living.  I said I was a lawyer, they asked me whether I was an entertainment lawyer.  I said no, they immediately cut off all interest in me as a human being and turned every conversation into a discussion of their background parts and headshots.  It was bizarre and very uncomfortable.  They didn't know or care about ANYTHING beyond maybe getting possibly a speaking role on NCIS or whatever silly thing they were going for.

On the other hand, I met a guy who had something to do with a movie called, I think, The Convent, that involved demonic nuns.  So that was cool.

It was not an intellectually stimulating year.  Great farmers' market in Santa Monica, though, and I lived on the same block as the Santa Monica steps and saw Freddie Prinze, Jr. and SMG at the Malibu fish shop.  He's very handsome and she is infinitesimally tiny.  (Same with and Sidney Poitier and Bo Derek.)  Also Gary Shandling checked out my cleavage one night, so that was fun.

• Love 6

I spent a year in Los Angeles, from 2003-2004. I was a brand new attorney in an LA-based but not entertainment-focused biglaw firm. My roommate was my long-time friend who had been trying to break in to acting.

I have never, in my life, met such a group of self-centered, shallow, hypocritical, thoughtless, back-stabbing people as I met in that year. And therefore yeah, I can totally believe KC is using the hell out of EBR, the new bright shiny toy. And hey, EBR might very well do the same thing if the situation were reversed. But it's not. KC may actually like EBR, who knows. But I have no problem, at all, believing that KC is glomming on to EBR, now, in the fourth year of them working together prior to which KC seemingly had no interest in EBR, because EBR currently has buzz. Because, with VERY FEW exceptions, every person I met in LA was exactly that way.

I've never read something in my entire life that reaffirmed my decision to not move to LA. So, thanks for that. I couldn't even imagine using people that way...and I hate people.

I guess I just try to see the best in the cast for completely selfish reasons. I want to think that these people that I watch weekly actually get along with each other and enjoy each others company. I always think of Seinfeld or Charmed where you could just see that those people hated each other and I never got that from this cast.

• Love 1

I don't care if EBR or KC are friends or not. I just feel sometimes KC says somethings that are really shady regarding women who are love interests in general like they are less than. Men have forever looked down on women and sometimes condensed their roles to "just the love interest" and I get irritated when other women do the same.

Edited by TwistedandBored
  • Love 14

I have never, in my life, met such a group of self-centered, shallow, hypocritical, thoughtless, back-stabbing people as I met in that year.  

I've met a lot of good people/actors here in LA, but I've also, um, yeah, the above statement is also completely accurate.

Or we can just wait for the Lifetime Unauthorized Story of Arrow.

Primal Slayer, I can't wait. I hope Robbie plays Stephen. 

• Love 8

I've never read something in my entire life that reaffirmed my decision to not move to LA. So, thanks for that. I couldn't even imagine using people that way...and I hate people.

I guess I just try to see the best in the cast for completely selfish reasons. I want to think that these people that I watch weekly actually get along with each other and enjoy each others company. I always think of Seinfeld or Charmed where you could just see that those people hated each other and I never got that from this cast.

I lived in an apartment at Fourth and San Vicente, like 100 feet from the Santa Monica steps and the bluff that overlooks the PCH.  It was amazing.  The weather is fantastic, the food is delicious and shockingly healthy.  Peaches from the market were 100x better than chocolate.  

The people, otoh, are utterly and totally terribad.  Like hey, Walking Dead: LA...99% of LA-area residents are already brain dead zombies, so would anyone really notice?

• Love 3

I didn't mean that there was a pilot in the works, I meant that there's truth in her statement - that she wants a spinoff and a starring role in it, but I think when she mentioned it during the interview, she was probably teasing.

Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying.  I'm not sure I agree with this thought though.  What this Puff Piece says to me is that KC and/or her people think there's a good shot that Laurel is the one in the grave; this was a preemptive strike by her people (IMO).

I think the main purpose of this PR job was one of two possible scenarios

1 - Hey CW/Berlanti, I am the female lead, I am important to the story and I can carry my own spin-off show...you'll be stupid to fire me/kill Laurel off

2 - Hey Hollywood I am the female lead of a successful (CW) show, I am important to the story and I can totally carry a show...and I may be available soon...hint hint.

BTW these two options aren't mutually exclusive.

• Love 9

Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. I'm not sure I agree with this thought though.

I think she was being serious about wanting the spinoff, I just think that it's the kind of thing that probably didn't come off well in print. The "and it should star me!" or whatever she said probably came off lighthearted and teasing when she said it, but just reads as narcissistic in print. That's all I meant.

• Love 3

I thought CW arranges the big interviews that most of Arrow actors do. This seemed to be arranged by her team.

CW usually does media for actors in 3 modes. Bring a bunch of reporters up to Vancouver to interview as much of the cast as possible. Arrange a conference call for a single actor to be interviewed by as many reporters as possible. Or they send an actor out for a burst media at one time, in S2 they brought EBR down to LA to do 5-6 interviews including 3 studio interviews and now she's doing KTLA/ET this week. In S2 or S3 SA did WPIX/Kelly and Michael and one other studio interview in NYC all on the same day.

They also use specific print/blog sites (TV Line, EOnline, TV Guide, THR and a few others). They very rarely have one actor interviewed by one reporter and if they were giving an exclusive they'd go to something high profile (TV line, TV Guide, E! Etc).

So yeah, this is obviously something her PR peeps set up for KC and they (IMO) even gave the reporter a list of questions not just talking points (hense the wording in the questions reflecting KCs previous talking points)

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

If this was a fluff piece by her PR team, wouldn't they have chosen a better/more high profile company/website to do it on then some random website that can easily be looked over?

Her contract with the CW most likely doesn't allow her team to set up any kind of big media interview about the show without the network's approval and involvement. This is how actors typically circumvent it -- talking to small/vanity press is okay.

• Love 5

Laura Hurley's response links to a June article that she wrote for WhatCulture...

Canon vs accuracy - is it a one way road?
Laura Hurley  Nov 16, 2015 6:52 pm
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/133366983458/canon-vs-accuracy-is-is-a-one-way-road

I also liked her response to this fan question...

turkeycoma asks:
I'm not sure if you already wrote about this; it is quite likely you have already been asked. What do you think the effects (positive/negative) are of having the arrow and the flash crossover. Personally I think the possibility of meta-humans can take away from the more serious/mystical element of the arrow. What do you think, and do you think it was a smart move for the shows to align?

Nov 15, 2015 3:54 pm
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/133288959006/im-not-sure-if-you-already-wrote-about-this-it

Edited by tv echo

If this was a fluff piece by her PR team, wouldn't they have chosen a better/more high profile company/website to do it on then some random website that can easily be looked over?

Thing is, PR people can always ask for high profile interviews, but they may or may not get them. Entertainment Weekly is interested only in what sells copies of Entertainment Weekly and/or what brings clicks to the website, not what benefits the career of any particularly Hollywood actor. I certainly wish Charlie Sheen all the best, and hope that the current round of publicity will end up bringing him peace and healing, but that's not why he's getting all of this publicity today.

So it's not really a question of choosing a company/website; it's rather what company is willing to feature said talent. And dtissagirl is also correct - it's very common for D list actors and other talent to set up vanity interviews, and getting more and more common now that so many media conglomerates are pulling back from PR/marketing.  

• Love 7

Ray the stalker and Sara's ill-conceived resurrection are again brought up...

'Legends of Tomorrow' Keeps Harming 'Arrow' Before It Even Airs
By Robert Dougherty Nov 11, 2015 02:15 PM
http://www.themovienetwork.com/article/legends-tomorrow-keeps-harming-arrow-it-even-airs

... Unfortunately, the more this season sets up Legends of Tomorrow, the more mistakes it makes. Even more unfortunately, this isn't a new problem, as Legends of Tomorrow has derailed Arrow in some way or form for about a full year now -- despite how it still won't air its first episode for a few more months.
There was no real, actual reason for an Olicity love triangle in Season 3, just as there was very little reason to make Oliver such a hopeless, self-loathing and destructing mess for 99 percent of the season to further it. But because they were so committed to a very flawed idea, Ray was forced in as an added obstacle -- and if they could keep Routh around long enough to get him into another show when the triangle ended, all the better.

Arrow forgot that it works better when things aren't so rigidly planned, and when it isn't so in love with misery and woe -- hence why Felicity was created in the first place...

It was partly because they were so in love with a miserable Season 3 and a miserable Oliver, and partly because they needed the door open for a spinoff involving Ray, regardless of whether any of it had to happen.
Once again, Arrow took a divisive character -- in this case Laurel -- and used her in ways that made so many fans furious, just for the sole purpose of setting up Legends of Tomorrow in ways that never should have happened. In this case, sacrificing Laurel's common sense to make her revive Sara did the trick, which was necessary for Legends, but not necessary in how Laurel's tactics made her more of a scapegoat than usual. It didn't have to happen this way and didn't need to take up so many Arrow episodes, yet it did.
At every turn, unnecessary greed, a love of unnecessary characters, and a love of unnecessary and character-damaging ways to further them, have defined Legends of Tomorrow when it comes to its place in the Arrow universe....

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I can't really buy that LoT is ruining Arrow. Season 3 of Arrow was terrible and that had nothing to do with LoT. For some reason people forgot about that. We always need something or someone to blame. Sara was blamed for Season 2, Felicity and Ray were blamed for Season 3 and now LoT is being blamed for Season 4. (and I blame Laurel for just existing on the show ;D)

It seems the real blame should be on the writers for not being able to write compelling stories. We all have characters we like and want to see more of and these writers are doing a disservice to all of them. It's not one character over another character, it's the stories they are choosing to tell that is ruining this show. 

• Love 3

I think this season is pretty great, so I wouldn't say that LoT is ruining Arrow. It's just that the not-so-great parts of it thus far, by and large (apart from those moronic flashbacks) are in service to getting LoT off the ground. The chances of the writers writing shitty arcs that people would've hated if LoT wasn't in the mix is high, but it is in the mix, and the writers are writing shitty arcs because of it, so it's getting some negative focus for that.

• Love 16