Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Really? When? Must have missed this.

It was during SDCC interviews. She told EBR that fans feel like Felicity and Olicity ruined the show. The site took down the video after fans reacted. She was similarly rude to Candice Patton.

• Love 2

It was during SDCC interviews. She told EBR that fans feel like Felicity and Olicity ruined the show. The site took down the video after fans reacted. She was similarly rude to Candice Patton.

Yeah, I've been looking for it and couldn't find it. And how did Emily react to that?

I don't mean to be petty.... but if they didn't have to make LL the BC, they probably never would have killed SL off in the first place. I consider it payment for killing her in the first place. You kill her, you resurrect her. No thanks needed for LL's character considering she is the reason we were ever in this predicament twice.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 11

Yeah, I've been looking for it and couldn't find it. And how did Emily react to that?

She handled herself very well. If that reporter was looking for a big reaction to sound bite, she didn't get one.

EBR impressed me so much at SDCC 2015.

• Love 6

She was surprised. She repeated the "ruined the show?" and then move right along with something along the lines of: not everyone will enjoy the same thing (paraphrasing). She handled it pretty well, but was definitely surprised at the comment. Candice also handled herself well with that person.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 2

I must say that Candice also handled herself well with that person too.

I'm not totally sure why, but I love Candice Patton, even though I don't care about Iris or The Flash in general, at all, except for Cisco.  She just oozes class.

And yeah, EBR also handled herself incredibly well.

• Love 6

I called out TV Fanatic just before the season started for changing the header to their Arrow page to one that had only GA, BC, Speedy and Digg in his new gear. I asked why no Felicity, and the editor was surprised; he said he didn't notice. He later came back and said they're focusing on the new costumes. Told him that's accurate for Oliver and Digg, but not really for BC. Speedy maybe because she got all of 10 minutes in her new outfit in the finale. They changed the header back within the hour to what it is now: a version of the Season 3 poster. So now they're missing Speedy *sigh* The header was something they created. I don't understand why they couldn't have created one that included everybody in it. I get entertainment writers (not calling them journalists; insult to the profession) having biases against or for characters, but it's so strange to have entire sites. 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 4

I don't mean to be petty.... but if they didn't have to make LL the BC, they probably never would have killed SL off in the first place. I consider it payment for killing her in the first place. You kill her, you resurrect her. No thanks needed for LL's character considering she is the reason we were ever in this predicament twice.

That's fair. But at the same time...would there even have been a Sara if there was no intention to make Laurel BC? The Sara we got at least.

I don't care if I'm rude towards that person against Emily and Felicity. She was Intentionally trying to make EBR upset. Nothing I have seen indicates that anyone else in the cast has ever received such a vile thing towards them. This is why I think EBR gets more flack than KC. Because not once have I seen someone comment to KC saying she ruined the show. She might get it from fans on Twitter but that's different because you can block. You can't block a reporter if she gets screened and says these are the questions I'm going to be asking and then changes her "question" on the spot. Not even the lead of the show has received any type of question like that. It's frankly disgusting.

The person who interviewed EBR was ModWildTv on Twitter and you can see from her header on there who she likes. You can tell she was trying to go at her because of her question. She really wanted to make her upset. If she likes Laurel and KC so much go interview her and leave EBR alone. It seemed like she only wanted to interview her to get a negative response from Emily. Too bad for her it backfired. Lol

Edited by EmilyBettFan
  • Love 1

Laura Hurley's post-mortem* on 405 (I agree 100% and wanted to quote the entire article)...

'Arrow' S04E05: What needs to happen next after "Haunted"
Laura Hurley  November 9, 2015 11:37 AM MST
http://www.examiner.com/article/arrow-s04e05-what-needs-to-happen-next-after-haunted

(* I don't think she's doing a full review of 405, probably because she was at Louisville Comic-Con this weekend.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I'm happy with the latest spin off, it's taking my favorite characters (Sara, Stein and Cold with Kendra as another female hero) from the other shows and putting them on their own show. 

Flash is not hurting by the LoT spin off, they are hurting by adding every speedster in existence, making Barry not that special. I think they've been doing fine with LoT characters. Cold already had a relationship with Barry and it's fun to see them work together. Kendra had like 2 scenes, the only one that took up time was the new Firestorm but that's the fault of the EP's not locking original Firestorm into a contract. And he left at the end of his episode. 

I would also think with LoT, the other shows will no longer have to be used to set up new heroes. If LoT does well they will be the show to introduce the new heroes. Arrow and Flash can be left alone. So this actually a good thing for fans of those shows. 

• Love 2

I'm happy with LoT because I get Sara back and Capt Cold looks like he could be fun.  Plus anything that brings Rory the Roman into my house on a weekly basis is welcome.  However, Arrow has suffered since season 2 in order to set up spin-offs.  Every change made in S2, adding powers and all that was done to launch Flash (which MG stated outright in interviews).  S3 of Arrow suffered because it was saddled with trying to launch the ATOM spin-off.  Now S4 has been bogged down with bringing Sara and Ray back.  Just because the end result (Sara alive and on LoT) is a positive, doesn't mean it hasn't taken it's toll on Arrow in the first 8 episodes.

I can't speak specifically for Flash since I don't watch regularly but, I'm seeing the same complaints from Flash fans as Arrow fans, as well as media, about too much time being spent on LoT.  Therefore, I have to say that they're both suffering.

• Love 10

Then I'm one that doesn't really care about Arrow (I'll probably stop watching again once Sara leaves) and I watch Flash for entertainment value and haven't really connected the characters. I enjoy Stein and Cold and they are leaving to LoT. I'm looking more forward to LoT than watching Arrow and Flash. I don't feel they are being ruined since it's for the LoT set up that I'm even watching them in the first place.

I know I'm in the minority with my thinking. Arrow was ruined for me in season 3 and it had nothing to do with any spin off setting up. 

I don't see how Sara's resurrection is Bogging down the show. We've got some good Thea related stuff from it. I get not liking the Lances so having that as an issue but 2 of the 3 Lances are regulars. Laurel would have been doing something else stupid or we would have got some other "monster" of the week. So far Felicity's story has been PT&Ray but they haven't made her different or changed the tone of the scene from the rest of the episode like they did last season. I get that Sara and Ray aren't staying but neither do characters of the week. 

And the Captain Cold and Jax and FIrestorm episode were good. Imo It's the bringing in a new love interest Patty and going there with Caitin&Jay that is making Flash have issues and those aren't spin off characters. Patty's OK and I like Jay but they are the ones forcing Iris out as a love interest and making Caitlin act odd. Barry is also been given too much power but still making him fumbling about And the stupid with hiding Cisco's meta humanness. I do think the episodes are becoming more 'arc" early on and the lightness of the show is kind of out of place with the doom Zoom is projecting. But I guess that's not really Arrow related...Oops.

Edited by tarotx

Then I'm one that doesn't really care about Arrow (I'll probably stop watching again once Sara leaves) and I watch Flash for entertainment value and haven't really connected the characters. I enjoy Stein and Cold and they are leaving to LoT. I'm looking more forward to LoT than watching Arrow and Flash. I don't feel they are being ruined since it's for the LoT set up that I'm even watching them in the first place.

I know I'm in the minority with my thinking. Arrow was ruined for me in season 3 and it had nothing to do with any spin off setting up. 

Yes, I understand that you don't really care about Arrow and are just here for Sara and that's fine.  However, from the perspective of people who want Arrow to be Arrow and not a launch pad for the next spin-off DC/WB/Berlanti want to launch in order to build their TV Empire it's pretty freaking sad that Arrow constantly suffers from having to boost other characters/stories/spin-offs.

Not to mention 3 spin-offs in 3 years is a little much for any show.  Look at Law & Order, the mothership launch in 1990, the first spin-off was SVU in 1999, after that they waited 2 years before trying Criminal Intent in 2001, after that they waited four years to try for another spin-off, Trial By Jury (which failed) in 2005 and the final spin-off Law & Order LA (which also failed) wasn't for another 5 years, in 2010.

The CSI Franchise was faster paced but they at least gave 2 years before attempting each spin-off

CSI - 2000

Miami - 2002

NY - 2004

NCIS Franchise

JAG - 1995

NCIS - 2003

LA - 2009

NOAL - 2014

The Flarrowverse is just going to burn itself out if they keep attempting spin-offs every year (and they're already rumored to be trying for another spin-off next year...which is (IMO) insane).

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 9

I think the LoT setup is affecting both shows equally, in that it keeps stopping the show's main narrative of tackling the big bad of the season, and the relationships between regular characters to address guest stars that need to be sent off by December.

[but I actually think Arrow is doing better in the relationship side because, Laurel being a psycho aside, they've chosen to do the Oliver-tackles-one-relationship-per-episode thing, and it's giving him such great character development that I never in a billion years imagined they were capable of doing.]

However -- the Arrow set up comes with characters I wish I could zap out of existence and then Eternal Sunshine out of my brain, and ends up with me having to watch That's So Laurel and Palmer's Island. The Flash set up comes with characters I enjoy watching both on their own, and how they relate to the other characters [spyDaddy, WENTWORTH]. So there's a difference for me as a viewer.

And I'm neutral about LoT so far, as I really have no clue if I'm gonna enjoy that show or not. There's no particular character there that I'm invested in without watching the actual show to see how the relationships will go.

• Love 5

I know that, that's why I said I know I'm in the minority. I know everyone else hates everything about the LoT spin off. But you really have to wonder if they had anything planned if they didn't have the Spin offs, did they think of any season long story arcs? The Flashbacks sure are not doing anything to move Oliver's story along and they don't have to worry about the spin offs. 

Where is this dark Oliver that we saw in Season 1? It's been 4 years and he seems like the same guy we are seeing now. At least with Sara they showed her going dark after a year from the Gambit sinking. She was ready to kill people if it helped her. Anatoly a Russian Mobster was calling her scary. Nyssa said when she found Sara on Lian Yu she was in the darkness. Why is Oliver still all I'm going to try and save everyone mode? That leaves him only 2 years as Dark Oliver. 

I know that, that's why I said I know I'm in the minority. I know everyone else hates everything about the LoT spin off. But you really have to wonder if they had anything planned if they didn't have the Spin offs, did they think of any season long story arcs? The Flashbacks sure are not doing anything to move Oliver's story along and they don't have to worry about the spin offs. 

Where is this dark Oliver that we saw in Season 1? It's been 4 years and he seems like the same guy we are seeing now. At least with Sara they showed her going dark after a year from the Gambit sinking. She was ready to kill people if it helped her. Anatoly a Russian Mobster was calling her scary. Nyssa said when she found Sara on Lian Yu she was in the darkness. Why is Oliver still all I'm going to try and save everyone mode? That leaves him only 2 years as Dark Oliver. 

I already answered this in the other thread.  

. Just raising my hand as someone really looking forward to the LoT spinoff who also agrees that Arrow has suffered but I'm also going to blame the Arrow writers because the painfully written stuff in bringing back Sara was self inflicted.
  • Love 2

The Bring Sara back to life was terrible and poorly executed. All of us had come up with much better ways for them to have accomplished the same thing. The EP's choose the dumbest way possible. I'm just happy Sara is back now and that's what I'm choosing to focus on. 

• Love 2

Mo Ryan wrote a wonderful piece on the [awful terrible shameful] lack of diversity in directors of tv shows, and there are quotes from Wendy Mericle, Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, and Lexi Alexander:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/diversity-directors-tv-amc-fx-hbo-netflix-showtime-1201633122/

But some producers are intent on bucking the system. Greg Berlanti, executive producer of “Supergirl,” “The Flash,” “Arrow,” “Blindspot,” “The Mysteries of Laura” and the upcoming “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” has made a vow to increase the number of women and people of color directing his superhero shows and to foster the career of newer directors. (Diverse directors on “Arrow” increased from 19 percent in 2012-2013 to 30 percent in 2014-2015.)
  • Love 6

Martial arts are alive and kicking on TV
Bill Keveney, USA TODAY 11:11 a.m. EST November 11, 2015
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/11/11/martial-arts-alive-and-kicking-tv/75458796/

Here’s a rundown of contemporary warriors who wield hands, sticks and swords to attack and defend, along with a legend who kick-started the genre on TV nearly 50 years ago.
The Arrow/Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) in CW’s Arrow (Wednesdays, 8 p.m. ET/PT)

A bow and a quiver of arrows are hardly the only tools Star City’s hero has in his fight against evil. His fighting skills, many learned during his years on a remote island, include Eskrima, Muay Thai, Wing Chun, Jiu Jitsu and boxing.

Arrow’s skill set has global roots, fight/stunt coordinator James Banford says. “The countries of origin for Oliver's training ranges from China to Japan, Philippines, Russia, Thailand.”

He built a Stargate, I'm contractually obligated to wanna marry him.

Okay, that made me laugh, but I still hate that guy.  

He has a nice voice, but other than that I just think he's a vaguely human-shaped void where charisma goes to die.

• Love 1

Vulture's positive review of 406...

Arrow Recap: Ex Hex
By Jenny Raftery   November 12, 2015 4:23 a.m
http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/arrow-recap-season-4-episode-6.html

This scene was terrific. Not only did Emily Bett Rickards turn in a powerful performance, but her character's development was spot-on as well. As much as I was rooting for Olicity to happen at the end of season three, I did cringe when Felicity left her life and job without a moment's notice. To have Felicity question that choice in this episode—or at least acknowledge that it didn't sit well with her worldview—was a satisfying twist. She is such a fun and funny character, it'd be easy for Arrow to keep her as a cartoonish manic dream hacker girl. These story lines and episodes keep her character grounded and, if it's even possible, more likable.   

Luckily, Arrow doesn't take the easy route too often. A lazier show would have used Ray's return to foster jealousy or spawn a love triangle. Arrow already explored that in season, and has (thankfully) moved on. Instead, Ray becomes a catalyst for Felicity to question her independence. Fortunately, she can also confide in Mama Smoak. She admits that Oliver is wonderful, but recognizes why that's also part of the problem: "It's too easy to lose myself in him." Mama Smoak suggests that's what love is. 
With Ray rescued, and the tension dissipated, Oliver and Felicity can finally "clear the air." And by clear the air, I mean "have a hot yin-yang make-out session that leads to Felicity climbing on top of a shirtless Oliver like a surfboard." 
* I MUST KNOW WHAT OLIVER WRITES IN HIS JOURNAL AND I MUST KNOW NOW.

• Love 5

Okay, that made me laugh, but I still hate that guy.  

He has a nice voice, but other than that I just think he's a vaguely human-shaped void where charisma goes to die.

AyChihuahua, I have no idea what sort of law you practice or if you do trial work, but damn, I think you'd be hilarious in court. I seriously just snorted coffee at the above quote. 

I'm kind of meh on Jay Garrick. I watch Flash with my kids -they're a little young for Arrow, though they try and sneak in when I watch. It's fun, brainless entertainment and I admit to thinking GG is adorable, though I just realized I am now old enough to be his mother. Sigh. A teenage mother, but still. Damn, I got old.

• Love 3

EW's review/recap of 406...

'Arrow' recap: 'Lost Souls'
BY JONATHON DORNBUSH
Posted November 11 2015 — 11:15 PM EST
http://www.ew.com/recap/arrow-season-4-episode-6

“Lost Souls” may focus on Team Arrow’s attempts to rescue Ray Palmer, who was just revealed to still be alive, as well as Sara’s assimilation back into the land of the living. But make no mistake: “Lost Souls” is a Felicity story.

For most of the hour, Felicity is in rare form, fueled by anger and guilt in the effort to save Ray. That attempt puts her and Oliver’s relationship through its first major trial, as Felicity wrestles with her desire and her need to save Ray because she blames herself for his current predicament.
Except there’s actually one more issue to contend with. Felicity’s mother, Donna, is back in town. (ASIDE: Apparently she and Oliver have been texting and building a budding friendship. There are few things quite as hilarious as Emily Bett Rickards’ furious Felicity berating Oliver during a mission about his emoji-filled texts with Donna, especially when everyone else can hear her. END ASIDE) She wants to spend some quality time with her daughter. Felicity is, of course, preoccupied with saving her former love’s life, so she first deals with the all-hands break-in at Kord.
And it’s not what Oliver expects. The issue is that Felicity blames herself. Ray had been sending messages for weeks after his disappearance, but she missed them because she was off with Oliver. She didn’t second guess the lack of a body because she was so wrapped up in their relationship. She was losing herself in someone else, and suddenly Felicity is not so sure if that’s the type of person she wants to be.
... (ASIDE: With Ray in the mix, the team stands, for at least a few minutes, at a massive eight heroes. The days of Oliver out on his own, maybe with an assist from Diggle, are most definitely behind us. END ASIDE)
Luckily, things look better for Olicity than for some of the legends in their lives. Prior to the mission, Donna gives her daughter a pep talk about how special Oliver is, how it’s okay to get lost in someone you love, and how he is not Felicity’s absentee father. She doesn’t want Felicity missing out on a good thing, and spurred on by their discussion, she returns to Ollie. She thanks him for his understanding; he apologizes for not being the greatest listener. They patch things up, as the camera pans away from content not CW-appropriate.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

IGN's mixed review of 406 (liked the Olicity drama, but didn't like how Sara & Ray were handled)...

ARROW: "LOST SOULS" REVIEW
BY JESSE SCHEDEEN  11 NOV 2015
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/12/arrow-lost-souls-review

I will say that after so many weeks where it seemed like Felicity’s shenanigans with Curtis were completely divorced from the problems Ollie and the rest of team Arrow were dealing with, it was nice to see the two halves brought back together. The hunt for Ray took center stage this week. And it even led to some solid romantic tension between Felicity and Ollie. These two have been much been presented as the perfect couple all season long, apart from those instances where Felicity made it clear she was getting bored with her quiet domestic bliss. This week we saw that the two still have some genuine issues to work through before they can truly settle down.

That romantic tension was played both for laughs and dead seriously at different points. I loved the early scene where the two were bickering back and forth across the table and Diggle found himself trapped in the middle. Diggle has been fairly glum this season, first wrestling with his latent anger at Ollie and then the revelations about his brother. It was nice to see him take on a more comedic role this week. It was also great to see the classic Ollie/Diggle friendship return as the duo shared a drink and commiserated over the weird, stressful nature of being a costumed vigilante with girl problems.

The dramatic elements worked equally well. Early on Felicity seemed a little overly hostile toward Ollie. I was worried the writers might even try to resurrect the Ollie/Felicity/Ray love triangle now that the latter character is back in play. But everything fell into place when Felicity revealed that her emotional turmoil mainly stemmed from guilt. She blames herself for dooming Ray to his tiny existence because she was too busy travelling the world with Ollie to detect Ray’s distress calls. That made her position a lot more understandable. In the end, Felicity and Oliver worked through some baggage, had some strong scenes together and seem to have come out the other side as a stronger couple.
Unfortunately, Sara’s storyline was a huge disappointment. Last week’s episode already ended on a weird note by almost completely glossing over Quentin and Laurel’s reaction to seeing Sara alive and whole again. There was still a lack of emotion to her return this week. Especially with that bizarrely impersonal phone call to her mother, it’s as if no one is particularly amazed or even interested that Sara has returned from the dead.
Though there were some memorable moments week, particularly when it came to Ollie and Felicity's romantic drama, this Arrow episode didn't quite come together. Sara was disappointingly underused following her dramatic resurrection. Both she and ray were shuffled off stage with little apparent change to the show's status quo. And with too little progress in the flashbacks, the show is definitely in need of a little adrenaline boost.

Edited by tv echo

JustAboutWrite's lengthy, analytical review of 406 and Felicity Smoak...

Arrow 4x06 "Lost Souls" (Hold Me Close, 'Cause I'm a Hopeless Wanderer)
http://www.itsjustaboutwrite.com/2015/11/arrow-4x06-lost-souls-hold-me-close.html

Sara Lance isn't the only soul who feels lost in this episode, though. Felicity Smoak is feeling lost and that is not only foreign to her, but it's also frustrating. And it's scary. And she thinks that maybe, just maybe, she has lost who she is in who she is with Oliver. With all of this heaviness to tackle, let's dive into a discussion about these lost souls, shall we?
"Lost Souls" allowed us to see a side of Felicity that we rarely get to see, and that is the side where she becomes unhinged. True story time: when I was in high school, I won "Most Reliable" on my newspaper staff. That's the kind of person I am — always there, always prepared, always dependable. It's something that I've actually been struggling with at my new job. I'm in this mentality that I have to be a superhero. I have to have all of the answers and be able to say "yes" to everything. The moment I tell someone that I need a deadline pushed back or can't do an assignment is — in my warped thinking — the moment that I have failed and let down everyone.

Isn't that like, really foolish thinking? And yet, it's how I often operate. And it's how Felicity Smoak does too. Recall, if you will, every time Felicity has helped another character on this show (and on The Flash). If your list is growing too long to keep accurate track of, you'd be exactly where I am right now. Felicity solves problems. That is her job. That is where she feels most at peace and most at home. Isn't that essentially what she told Oliver in this season's premiere? She finds her worth and her purpose when she can solve puzzles and save lives.
In "Lost Souls," Felicity is stressed and she's snapped because she feels guilty ovwe what has happened to Ray in the same way that Oliver felt guilt over what happened to Thea's blood lust. They both didn't feel guilt over what they did, but rather what they did not do. And Felicity's guilt and pain is inherently tied up in the fact that she doesn't quite know who she is (we will discuss this momentarily)....

If she didn't feel all of these things — if she didn't agonize over decisions and cry and snap and ultimately remind herself of who she is and what she deserves — then she wouldn't be the Felicity that I fell in love with. And she wouldn't be the Felicity that Oliver did either.
The thing is, Felicity hasn't had the best examples of romance or relationships in her life. She's seen dysfunction far too many times over and the way that she looks at Donna Smoak, you can tell, is in the same way one might be asked to watch a "don't do drugs" video in school — as a cautionary tale. Felicity isn't just experiencing that twenty-something crisis of identity. She's also upset with herself because she's fallen into a relationship where she is happy and where she left everything she knew in order to be with a man... and the only way that Felicity has ever seen that story play out has been badly. And that's terrifying to our darling Smoak.
... Love means losing part of who you are, and it means that the other person does similarly. It's not a bad thing to lose yourself in love... because you're not really losing yourself. You're actively choosing to share your life with someone else and to let them into your deepest, most broken and vulnerable places. You carry each other. Love is a gamble because you put a piece of you on the line and you hope the other person places their half alongside yours. While some aspects of this are more cushy-television-romance advice (losing yourself in a relationship and your identity really isn't a good thing, and Felicity's fears are actually pretty valid), most of the advice is actually quite solid. Just because you don't know exactly who you are doesn't mean you shouldn't figure it out alongside the person you want to spend the rest of your life with.

* Let's never stop talking about how great the MVP of the episode was: Emily Bett Rickards. I don't understand how one young woman can be so hilarious in one scene and completely break your heart in the other (I'm looking at you, Oliver/Felicity fight). EBR has proven throughout the course of this series that she's a force to be reckoned with and someone who should not be underestimated (that goes for the actress and the character). All of Felicity's emotions throughout this episode were palpable, from her frantic energy, off-the-charts snark, gut-wrenching pain, and tender resolve. She absolutely knocked it out of the park and I'm so thankful that she has inhabited such an amazing female character. Kudos to you, EBR!

• Love 4

A.V. Club gives 406 a grade of B+...

Arrow makes a solid episode out of spinoff setup duties
By Alasdair Wilkins Nov 11, 2015  9:55 PM
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/arrow-makes-solid-episode-out-spinoff-setup-duties-228303

I sketch all this out not to pillory Arrow in general or this episode in particular, which is actually one of a strong season’s finest efforts. But it’s worth understanding what special pressures this show now operates under as the foundational piece of an ever-expanding TV universe... Yet everything with Ray and Sara represents so much table-setting, and the vast majority of the payoff is likely to come on some other show...  In other words, “Lost Souls” lets his survival be the jumping-off point for the episode’s big emotional story between Oliver and Felicity, as the latter suddenly has a crisis of confidence in their increasingly serious relationship.
... The actual chain of cause and effect is a little difficult to hold in one’s head, but it all sort of works: Felicity realizes she wasn’t there for Ray in the aftermath of his accident because she had already moved on to Oliver, and the only reason she was able to make peace with Ray’s apparent death in the first place was because she had allowed herself to get lost in Oliver. To the show’s credit, this is a rather more nuanced emotional argument than a lot of previous internal conflicts the show has trotted out, yet the episode struggles a little to figure out just how Oliver himself ought to fit into this. This is where the continued improvement of the cast and the general goodwill built up by this season comes in handy. The scene in which Oliver and Diggle discuss where things stand with Felicity is beautifully acted by Stephen Amell and David Ramsey, affirming the characters have regained their camaraderie while showing another nice example of how this new, more balanced Oliver can get introspective without a bunch of tedious self-recriminations. It’s all compelling stuff, even if the scene never quite nails down why Oliver should be jealous of Ray, or whatever it is he precisely is.

Again, this kind of narrative fuzziness only matters to the extent that it compromises the audience’s enjoyment of the episode, and “Lost Souls” works well even with some occasionally clouded emotional stakes. And, make no mistake: Oliver does some not great things here, and inviting Felicity’s mom—the future Mrs. Detective Lance, if that last scene is any indication—round for a visit is right at the top of the list. Where Arrow is struggling a little is in figuring out to what extent it wants to draw the obvious conclusion from what Oliver does, which is that he is always way too certain he knows what’s best for everyone. Making the unilateral decision to invite your partner’s slightly estranged parent for a surprise visit is pretty damn nuts, honestly, and it’s symptomatic of what all the characters are constantly accusing Oliver of. What’s more, this is the rare occasions when Oliver acts like he knows what’s best and there’s no real plausible way to argue that’s the case; at least when it comes to matters mystical and tactical, he tends to be right more often than not. What keeps this all palatable is the fact that Oliver genuinely means well in a way that he struggled to in seasons past, but there remain plenty of unresolved issues here, even if Oliver and Felicity do end the episode in a good place.

... That’s what makes “Lost Souls” worthwhile, in the end: As much as a lot of this episode is there to set up another show, the core of this episode speaks to the new, improved blueprint for a solidly successful Arrow episode.
* It’s a shame Sara’s time on Arrow is presumably limited, as she partners really well with Laurel and Thea for the fight scenes. I imagine this is probably more direction than anything else, but I’d swear Caity Lotz makes everyone around her look more believable in the fighting scenes.

• Love 1

BuddyTV's review of 406...

'Arrow' Recap: Ray Palmer is Back
'Derek Stauffer  Wednesday, November 11, 2015
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/arrow/lost-souls-like-haunted-and-58051.aspx

"Lost Souls" like "Haunted" and "Beyond Redemption" was another Arrow episode setting up Legends of Tomorrow. However, like both of those previously mentioned episodes, this was more than a spin-off set up. The events effected the main characters of Arrow in meaningful ways. "Lost Souls" brought Ray back from the (kinda) dead but the episode was really about Felicity. Specifically, Felicity trying to figure out how her relationship with Oliver has changed her and if that's a good or bad thing.
...Felicity comes clean that her anger isn't about Ray. It's about the fact that Felicity was away from Star City with Oliver when she could've been helping Ray. She has lost herself in Oliver and she was never that type of girl.

I have two thoughts on this scene:
1. This retroactively makes up for a lot of Felicity's problems in season 3. Felicity was far too weepy and far too obsessed with Oliver last season.
2. On the other hand, this whole conversation could be seeding another Olicity break-up and no one wants that, whether they are among the faithful fans or not. Arrow has told that story enough already.

Luckily, Dig and Donna talk to Oliver and Felicity respectively. Dig makes Oliver see this is not as big of a deal as he thinks it is. Dig convinces him that Felicity will come back around. Donna meanwhile, makes her daughter see that it's OK to let herself fall for someone. It doesn't mean that she is any less of a person or less strong as a woman. (I live for these pep talks.)

• Love 1

Here's Laura Hurley's short article for CinemaBlend...

Arrow: So That's What Happened To Ray Palmer
BY LAURA HURLEY  11 HOURS AGO
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Arrow-So-What-Happened-Ray-Palmer-98577.html

Now, Ray Palmer was hardly the most popular character to come out of Season 3 of Arrow, and an episode about a man-sized tater tot might have had wider appeal to it than an episode about a tater tot-sized Ray. Tater tots are always delicious; Ray Palmer was not. Both are fun to imagine pelting with salt.
  • Love 1

Collider's rave review of 406...

‘Arrow’ Recap: “Lost Souls” – Are Oliver and Felicity on the Rocks?
BY DAVE TRUMBORE      11 HOURS AGO
http://collider.com/arrow-recap-lost-souls-season-4-episode-6/

It’s amazing to see just how good an episode of The CW’s Arrow can be with a little bit of focus. When the writers aren’t trying to juggle sizable side-plots in addition to the main Villain of the Week story and the season-long arc, episodes suddenly become more cohesive and coherent; go figure. Tonight’s hour, “Lost Souls” focused 99% of its effort on the rescue of Ray Palmer from the season’s big bad, Damien Darhk. That precise attention resulted in one of the series’ best episodes ever.
Felicity has spent every waking hour (without a shower or a nap) attempting to solve the mystery of where Ray is, who is holding him captive, and how to help him. Though Curtis is helping as best he can, it’s Oliver’s assistance that rubs Felicity the wrong way. (It also doesn’t help that he thought it was a bright idea to invite her mother Donna into town to help smooth things over.) As the relationship between Felicity and Oliver gets rockier, they learn that Ray is micro-sized, is being held in a polymer cube on a table, and is being imprisoned for access to his technology. By who, you ask? None other than Damien Darhk.
... There are two great relationship scenes that take place here and they provide great emotional resonance within the episode. While it’s clear that Felicity and Oliver are going through a rough patch, I love that these difficulties actually help to bring Diggle and Oliver closer together (and I love that they get to share a moment of on-screen bro time). Even more delightful is the scene between Felicity and Donna in which we learn more about the heartbreaking story of Mama Smoak and hear her sage advice to her daughter that strongly suggests patching things up with Oliver. They’re sweet moments embedded within an action-packed episode that actually make sense within the context of everything, and use guest star Charlotte Ross just enough to be effective.
Once the team is done bringing Ray up to speed on the evils of Damien Darhk and Hive, Felicity clears the air with Oliver back at home (which is tough for her since he’s lying in bed shirtless).  It turns out that they share a lifetime of dysfunctional relationships, but Felicity says that they’ve found themselves in each other, echoing her mother’s words. Seems like the arrival of Ray is no concern for their relationship after all.
Honestly, I was not expecting an episode of this caliber at this point in the season. When other series are enjoying the mid-season lull and relying on filler episodes before the big ramp up to mid-season finales, The CW takes the opportunity to connect dots, shore up character relationships, and bring ever-increasing levels of kick-ass action. It’s episodes like “Lost Souls” that make this show so much fun to watch each and every week.
  • Love 10

Another positive review of 406...

Review: ‘Arrow’ Finds ‘Lost Souls’ in Ray’s Return, Both Frustrating and Phenomenal
by Kevin Fitzpatrick November 11, 2015 11:00 PM | ScreenCrush
http://comicsalliance.com/arrow-lost-souls-review/

I’ve been playing a little game with Arrow fans of late, asking if anyone can tell me, without referencing any setup for Legends of Tomorrow, what Season 4 is actually about. Six episodes in, we know that Damien Darhk and H.I.V.E. have some vague, potentially mystical plans for Star City, of which Oliver now intends to run for Mayor and … that’s really as far as most people get. It’s an endless source of frustration for a series all used to adore, compounded by the last week’s lightning-quick introduction of Constantine, and solely to put Sara back in the mix.
It’s a frustrating conundrum on its own, but what’s equally difficult to process is when Season 4 actually manages to strike a proper balance, as with tonight’s “Lost Souls.” Sara required a bit more narrative heavy-lifting in her restoration, where the return of Ray Palmer wasn’t really so much about Ray at all, as much as Oliver and Felicity taking a good long look at their relationship. In earnest, it’s astonishing how well that actually shined through such a busy hour.

Oliver and Felicity weren’t designed as a romantic pairing through Arrow’s initial inception, and the series resisted leaning into that relationship as such over the years, before finally committing in the outro of Season 3. There’s always a lingering fear that a longer-term plan intends to pull the rug out and shoehorn Laurel back in her canonical role, but what “Lost Souls” did well was to transmute Felicity’s seemingly disproportional irritation over Ray into a very real conflict for her and Oliver.

We never really saw much of Felicity’s personal life or immediate past before joining Team Arrow full time, but the idea of an all-encompassing love does tend to overwrite one’s sense of self, ostensibly Felicity’s defining trait from the beginning. It was especially smart to root those fears in the more immediately relevant past, disappearing into Oliver and suburbia long enough to miss out on Ray’s immediate distress, even neglecting a meteoric professional rise that college Felicity would stand in awe of.

This was a busy episode overall, and even more surprising is that the ultimate wisdom came from Donna, brushing away her daughter’s fear of losing herself by assuring that Oliver had done the same, and they’d find a new balance as partners. Near of every angle garnered equal service as well, between the adorable mid-mission bickering, the quieter, more intimate scenes, and even allowing Oliver and Diggle to renew their bro-bond over whiskey in the new lair.
The only aspect that felt particularly underserved came from Sara’s return to active duty, a laughably premature insistence of Laurel’s among a string of terrible decisions this season....
I can’t stress the relief Arrow Season 4 will feel once Legends kicks off on its own course through the time stream, but “Lost Souls” at least offered a refreshingly well-built hour in the meantime, knowing exactly the right emotional beats to emphasize. Should Felicity turn out to be the one in that grave, the tenderness on display tonight will feel that much worse in retrospect, but we’ll at least have “Chatty Cathy.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

MTV lists the "seven best moments" of 406 (and they didn't all involve Olicity)...

‘Arrow': Felicity Smoak Is A Force To Be Reckoned With In ‘Lost Souls’
by kayti burt 12h ago
http://www.mtv.com/news/2426018/arrow-felicity-smoak-is-a-force-to-be-reckoned-with-in-lost-souls/

Arrow” did something incredibly smart with what is arguably the first Olicity-centric episode of the new season: it gave the character arc to Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards).

The structure of tonight’s episode isn’t unfamiliar: Hero pushes significant other away. Significant other’s life is (kind of) put in danger. Hero understands just how much they love their love. However, rather than follow the stereotypical gender roles in that admittedly compelling narrative, “Arrow” made Felicity the hero-protagonist of this story, and it was awesome....

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2