Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I don't watch Larry King. I wonder how much cross traffic there is in viewership. I'm still a little surprised SA and GB were on the show.

I wouldn't be surprised if a fair number of people who don't currently watch Arrow might be tempted to try it out.  Even older people (the 49+ demo advertisers don't care about) grew up reading comic books, actually more than the younger audience because there was basically 45 TV channels + movies as other entertainment so I'd say most of the people in that age group grew up reading comic books.

My daughter wore her Sincerioulsy T shirt to the Pan Am games. One of the volunteers who looked to be about SA's mother's age recognized it because she's a real Arrow fan and gave my daughter a free Pan Am pin.

If it's the CW stalling it, it seems like shooting themselves in the foot.

Where does Larry King tape? Maybe they don't have time to get there? I can't imagine why the CW or SA wouldn't want the free press, especially since SA asked his followers to get him on Jimmy Kimmel and Seth Meyer's shows.

Arrow Season 3 ranks #11 on Top 20 Nielsen VideoScan First Alert chart for the week ended 9/27/15

http://www.jamestownsun.com/life/entertainment/3851140-pitch-perfect-2-debuts-atop-disc-chart

1. Pitch Perfect 2 (new) 2. Furious 7 3. Cinderella 4. Mad Max: Fury Road 5. Pitch Perfect Aca-Amazing 2-Movie Collection (new) 6. Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eighth Season 7. Hocus Pocus 8. Hotel Transylvania 9. The Flash: The Complete First Season (new) 10. Home 11. Arrow: The Complete Third Season (new) 12. The Age of Adaline 13. Pitch Perfect 14. Fast & Furious 1-7 Collection 15. Insurgent 16. Descendants 17. Beetlejuice 18. Chain of Command (new) 19. Empire: Season One 20. Barbie in Rock 'N Royals

Five tweets from some journalists at the Arrow Season 4 Premiere screener today. Nothing really spoilery, but put them under a cut anyway --

Jarett Wieselman

Just watched the #Arrow Season 4 premiere & I feel like it's setting up my favorite season so far
https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/649691000474988544

Vlada Gelman
Solid #Arrow season premiere. A couple big surprises.

https://twitter.com/VladaGelman/status/649705436048814080

Philiana (writes for Entertainment Tonight)
May have just watched the #Arrow season 4 premiere. #Olicity shippers will be very happy. Stay tuned!

[Olicity gif whose URL doesn't work on PTV.]

https://twitter.com/insidethetube/status/649706807586365440

Laurel Brown

The #Arrow S4 premiere is awesome, shocking, and a thrill. Especially so for #Olicity fans...

https://twitter.com/DocBrown_TV/status/649703851017146368

Linda Ge

Felicity Smoak is by far the MVP of #Arrow premiere. @mguggenheim says she's "back with a vengeance" after a sad s3 and it's very evident.
https://twitter.com/lindazge/status/649711032521265152

Edited by Soulfire
  • Love 2

I've banned myself from real spoilers but decided these didn't count.  Really wonder if the things that they say will cause happiness are new things or stuff that was already spoiled in previews.  Rhetorical question since I keep telling myself I want to be surprised. 

• Love 2

10 WWE Celebrity Cameos That Actually Ruled
Merlin Alderslade  2 hours ago
http://whatculture.com/wwe/10-wwe-celebrity-cameos-that-actually-ruled.php

10. Stephen Amell

What Happened: A lifelong wrestling fan, actor Stephen Amell had often campaigned for an appearance on WWE’s flagship show. With his title role in CW’s critically acclaimed Arrow seeing him become a household name amongst comic book nerds and action fans everywhere, the scene was set for something to happen.

Plus, he already had a costume! After the actor appeared at ringside for a brief but tantalising confrontation with Stardust on Raw in May, rumours began to swell pretty quickly that something was brewing.

When Amell returned for another showdown three months later, the growing belief that the Arrow star would step between the ropes was confirmed when HHH booked him to face Stardust and, er, Cosmic King Barrett (shortest gimmick ever?) at SummerSlam.

Why It Worked: While John Stewart may have grabbed the headlines for his bizarre involvement in the Cena/Seth Rollins ‘Winner Take All’ match (and we don’t doubt for a second that WWE were loving the fact that he did), it was Amell that had the most triumphant night.

Not only did he manage to not look like a rabbit caught on a wolf’s dinner plate – he actually looked like a natural.

His action training obviously paying off, he managed to get a few solid-looking spots in, even pulling off a cross body off the top rope, to the outside, and eventually helping his team pick up the W. Plus, it gave WWE Creative the chance to use some cheesy but fun comic book treatments in the feud’s build-up.

Nerds rejoice! (I can say this because I am one and I thought it was kinda cool, OK?)
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Sometimes I wonder if some media writers even watch the shows they talk about. Team Arrow was and is more than just a boy/girl pair (what about Diggle, Felicity, Roy and Laurel?)...

Dynamic male-female duos are having a moment on TV this fall
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2015 11:13 am | Updated: 11:13 am, Fri Oct 2, 2015.
Michael Hewitt, Tribune News Service
http://www.postbulletin.com/entertainment/dynamic-male-female-duos-are-having-a-moment-on-tv/article_44ef1c72-0b1c-55b2-9834-74eff43c7410.html

But 2015 is the year of the pair. The male-female pair.
A handful of new series — "Blindspot" on NBC, "Limitless" on CBS, "Minority Report" and "Rosewood" on Fox — feature a twosome as the central characters.

And on "Arrow," the formerly lone superhero Green Arrow (Stephen Amell), is being joined this year by a sidekick named Speedy (Willa Holland), the half-sister of Green Arrow's alter ego, Oliver Queen.

They join the popular pairs from "Elementary," "Castle" and "The Blacklist" to make it eight boy/girl teams fighting bad guys in primetime.
(read more)

Edited by tv echo

From Laura Hurley (despite the title, there are no specific spoilers in this article) - I agree with the following wholeheartedly...

anonymous asks:
So 5 days away from the premiere of season 4. Are you nervous or excited?

Oct 2, 2015 1:42 pm
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/130345657176/so-5-days-away-from-the-premiere-of-season-4-are

I enjoyed the two episodes of the Flarrow crossover extravaganza, and I do watch both Arrow and The Flash, but I want everything in The CW’s DC universe to remain fundamentally independent. All of the talk of setting up Legends of Tomorrow on the other two shows makes me nervous, but especially for Arrow. I don’t like seeing Oliver minimized or made a fool of on his own show, and half of the Legends crew seem like they should be able to overpower him.

Three other interesting Hurley articles...

anonymous asks:
You talked about your favorite episodes. What were your least favorite or downright most hated episodes of Arrow?

Oct 3, 2015 7:06 pm
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/130433963636/you-talked-about-your-favorite-episodes-what-were

anonymous asks:

I know the show likes to replace Diggle with Laurel in the field and with Felicity but I hope that they make an effort to continue to develop Diggle more as a character because DR's too good an actor and can do so much with great material when given. How do you hope they flesh out Diggle this season as a character and his relationships with other characters? I honestly really excited to see what his dynamic will be like with Thea and Lance.
Oct 2, 2015 12:54 pm
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/130343209616/i-know-the-show-likes-to-replace-diggle-with

anonymous asks:
Hi Laura - I just saw an article asking Mark G. why Arrow gets female characters right. It surprised me, because after watching S1, I decided that Arrow simply couldn't write believable women. They seemed either bland (Carly, McKenna), one-dimensional (Helena), or inconsistent to the point of whiplash (Laurel). I didn't revisit the question after watching S2 or S3. Do you think it's improved (as interesting vs "strong" characters)? (Laurel & Felicity aside - you've addressed them well already.)

Oct 1, 2015 3:01 pm
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/130283437326/hi-laura-i-just-saw-an-article-asking-mark-g

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Sometimes I wonder if some media writers even watch the shows they talk about. Team Arrow was and is more than just a boy/girl pair (what about Diggle, Felicity, Roy and Laurel?)...

http://www.postbulletin.com/entertainment/dynamic-male-female-duos-are-having-a-moment-on-tv/article_44ef1c72-0b1c-55b2-9834-74eff43c7410.html

I thought it was interesting that they used Speedy & not BC as his female duo partner.

Although, I've never seen ARROW as a duo partner show. Perhaps that's why they other duos you mentioned never drew any attention before. OQ never really fought with a female partner on a consistent basis until possibly s4. The few weeks he did it with SL, were a blip on his otherwise solo or all male in the field team.

• Love 1

Where does Larry King tape? Maybe they don't have time to get there? I can't imagine why the CW or SA wouldn't want the free press, especially since SA asked his followers to get him on Jimmy Kimmel and Seth Meyer's shows.

That matters very little these days. They can just do the interview via satellite with Larry King in the studio and EBR/SA in Vancouver. 

• Love 1

I find it interesting and I'm also waiting for those who will defend Laurel Lance as the Black Canary and "true partner of Green Arrow" to thoroughly tear this article and its writer to pieces. It seems to me the idea of the Black Canary is not getting the intended reception the writers of Arrow may have intended. To me by more than a little bit this is partly do to the writers introducing Sara and making her awesome (action sequence wise, when she verbally acted she wasn't that great IMO) then expecting fans to forget that she came before Laurel (or to also forget she was killed her off so IMO Laurel could take her place). I mean for the most part Sara encompassed all the qualities that were suppose to be unique to the Black Canary which now leaves Laurel to be the recipient of Sara's leftovers. Any who I'm not too surprised this writer is pairing Thea as Arrow's part of the male-female action duo instead of Laurel. Sorta of surprised he didn't list Felicity either but I think he was going for more on the "action" side of it!

Hope I didn't babble too much.

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 9

If you look at the other boy/girl pairs mentioned in that article, it's not limited to out in the field or physical fighting.  So I think the biggest diss was to Diggle and Felicity, who have been fighting bad guys alongside Oliver since S1. But I guess, since they don't have costumes, they're invisible (even though the other shows mentioned don't feature costumed heroes).  Then the next biggest diss was to Roy, who was Oliver's sidekick last season.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I would bet moneys that person has never watched Arrow once in their lives, and just read some press release for S4.

And their knowledge of general TV seems very limited. Bones has been around for a decade. Haven. Beauty and the Beast. Sleepy Hollow. Last season alone, there was Forever, Stalker, and Broadchurch. So... I don't think this says absolutely anything about the Arrow characters that weren't mentioned.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 5

Laura Hurley's retrospective mini-review of 3x05-"The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak"...

anonymous asks:
Hello Laura. I haven't seen your review of ep 3x05 and was wondering what u think about it. Olicity fans love it so much while the other side think it was a bore some even say its the worst ep of the season. I think your preference of the Olicity pairing doesn't cloud your judgment of arrow episodes so i wanted to know whether you liked it or not.

Oct 3, 2015 3:57 pm
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/130422573556/hello-laura-i-havent-seen-your-review-of-ep-3x05

• Love 1

‘Arrow’: Oliver And Felicity Married Soon? 4 Reasons Why We Want An ‘Olicity’ Wedding

Fashion & Style   22 hours ago

http://www.fashionnstyle.com/articles/74039/20151003/arrow-oliver-felicity-married-soon-4-reasons-olicity-wedding.htm

Pretty typical reasons... but I love the article for introducing me to the thought of Dig becoming FS new bodyguard instead of staying on as OQ's bg. The thought of FS/Dig scenes together just warms my heart. Plz make it happen show if only for a few episodes here and there. :)

• Love 3

This is interesting (though somewhat tedious to read)...

A Linguist Explains the Grammar of Shipping

Gretchen McCullochon September 30, 2015
http://the-toast.net/2015/09/30/a-linguist-explains-the-grammar-of-shipping/

The most important factor, the one that overrides any other, is whether the names have any overlap in sound or spelling. If so, they’ll almost inevitably blend at the point of overlap: thus Brittana blends at the “an” common to both Brittany and Santana, Grindeldore (or Dumblewald) blends at the medial “l” common to Grindelwald and Dumbledore, Olicity blends at the “li” in both Oliver and Felicity, Cartinelli at the “art” in both Peggy Carter and Angie Martinelli, Cecilos at the “l” in both Cecil and Carlos, Bechloe at the “c” in Beca and Chloe, Sherlolly at the “lo” in both Sherlock and Molly, Korrasami at the “a” in both Korra and Asami, and so on... (read more)
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Sometimes I wonder if the easy way "Olicity" rolls off the tongue is a factor in how it caught on so quickly in fandom. I've seen Laurel/Oliver fans use "Lauliver" or "Lauriver" interchangeably, and even "Canarrow" (which I personally associate with Oliver/Sara, but whatever), and I suppose it would be hard to consolidate support/attention for a 'ship when you can't even decide on which name to use.

• Love 2

The most important factor, the one that overrides any other, is whether the names have any overlap in sound or spelling.

Ha! Smallville had an L and or a C in just about every main cast member apart from Ma and Pa Kent. Maybe that's why there were so many shipping wars! All the combos just slid off the tongue with ease. Chlark, Clana, Clex, Chlois, Chlex, Chlollie, Lollie, Lexana, Clexana, and even Chlionel.

• Love 1

Lordy, I don't know how to pronounce any of the Smallville 'ship names. They break through my ESL brain, and Portuguese take over and I try to say them in Portuguese... Those sounds do NOT exist in nature.

• Love 3

Ha! I can't even imagine how hard that would be!

The key is to know how the seperate individual character names are pronounced ( and of course what those names would actually be, lol) since they keep their same sounds ( or at least the parts that get merged do) but, yeah, that is easier said than done. :)

I will give you a cheat on my favorite. Chlark is pronounced exactly like Clark ( the H is silent). Now you have to ship Chloe and Clark since it's the only one you know. ;)

Edited by BkWurm1

Oh, I know all of that, but it doesn't help at all. Since they aren't actual words, it's like my native language take over almost involuntarily. "Chlark" in Portuguese sounds like She-lar-kee, so that's what I get.

Also, the O in "Chlollie" trips me because is it the O in Chloe or is it the O in Ollie? Dun dun dun.

• Love 1

I pronounced it Clo-Ollie giving the O to both. But that was just from reading the ship name back in the day. I stopped watching the show by then.

Oh, I know all of that, but it doesn't help at all. Since they aren't actual words, it's like my native language take over almost involuntarily. "Chlark" in Portuguese sounds like She-lar-kee, so that's what I get.

Also, the O in "Chlollie" trips me because is it the O in Chloe or is it the O in Ollie? Dun dun dun.

Edited by tarotx

I pronounced it Clo-Ollie giving the O to both. But that was just from reading the ship name back in the day. I stopped watching the show by then.

They're my very favorite pairing of all time, haha, but I can't process the smushed 'ship name, so I just don't use it. Picking my battles. :)

• Love 1

Loved the linguistics behind it all... But I'm still gonna blame the media's obsession with Ben Affleck & Jennifer Lopez as the moniker that started the system. From Bennifer it all began, one moniker at a time. Although I do like the trend for fictional characters far better than for real life people.

• Love 1

Perhaps, but I feel like it didn't enter mainstream pop-culture until Bennifer. It might have just been a fandom thing before. Now its everywhere. Either way its here to stay I think.

• Love 2

Lordy, I don't know how to pronounce any of the Smallville 'ship names. They break through my ESL brain, and Portuguese take over and I try to say them in Portuguese... Those sounds do NOT exist in nature.

LOL! I feel your pain sister.. Hebrew doesn't have any connection to English as Portuguese does (I know as I took some classes and will one day go back to learning it, Brazilian dialect) and even though my english is awesome, figuring out the sounds of connected letter always trick me in these situations unless I heard the word being spoken.

Fandom was using portmanteau 'ship names way before J-Lo/Affleck happened.

I must have been in the wrong fandoms, I sort of remember trying to create a name for Doug & Carol... which ended with either Card or Dougal (I was like 16, okay!) that was when the carter/abby/luka (Carby? and Luby?) sipping names start to pop up in the fandom.. although i think Marc & Susan had one too (Marsan I think).. I know he had one with Elizabeth. Susan had one with Carter- Carsan if i remember correctly.

I can't remember the exact time Ben and Jen dated so I'm not sure what came before what. I resisted the shortened shipping names for many many years before starting to use them, Doug and Carol and Josh and Donna are the only ones I don't use any (although come to think of it I think Josh and Donna had one too I just can't remember it).

I may have never spoken the word aloud until today but I always pronounced it in my head with the O sound coming from Ollie.

Before Benifer I think we got more cute ship names that were based on something about the characters rather than smushed names. Like on Gilmore Girls, those that shipped Luke and Lorelai were Java Junkies. ;)

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Buffy fandom was using portmanteaus before J-Lo/Affleck. I know because I suffered through them. :)  I remember having several conversations with friends in fandom when the media started doing it with celebs, because most of us wanted it to DIE, not to go viral.

• Love 2

Laura Hurley's retrospective mini-review of 3x06-Guilty...

anonymous asks:
Thanks for answering that quickly. I agree completely but i would include Roy's dream as what didnt work for me because how did he know exactly what Sara said if he wasnt there. And i am laughing at the what needs to happen next because i hated 3x06 too and now i want to know why you didnt like it.

Oct 4, 2015 9:36 am
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/130472852210/thanks-for-answering-that-quickly-i-agree

• Love 2

I had forgotten the steganography/stegosaurus bit. Dumb Flashback Ollie at his best.

This was the only thing that I liked about this episode.  69 episodes and this is the worst (maybe a tie with Canaries -- but I think this has the edge).  I liked Roy - he deserved much better than this.  Once again, her review is spot on. 

• Love 1

Surprisingly I didn't really hate it that much. I mean, I don't disagree with her about anything (except the spritzing thing - what is that about?), but oddly it didn't make me rage as much as some of this season's other worst episode candidates. The worst thing about it, for me, was Diggle telling Oliver to cut Roy loose. That was stupid, OOC, and was only to set up their stupid parallel.

Edited by Starfish35

There's nothing spoilery about the following media tweets/interview (other than ER's name, I've spoiler-tagged relevant info)...

CTV Morning Live ‏@CTVMorningLive

#Arrow fans! Got a question for @elysiarotaru on Weds? Tweet us! (Spoiler:

she's a woman from #OliverQueen's past!

)
3:30 PM - 5 Oct 2015

https://twitter.com/CTVMorningLive/status/651162494367469568

Wingman Magazine ‏@Wingmanmag
48 hours until #ArrowSeason4 and our girl @elysiarotaru is a new recurring on this season make sure to check out her interview with us.
4:56 PM - 5 Oct 2015

https://twitter.com/Wingmanmag/status/651184206026948612

Here's the ER interview referenced above (it's from August):
http://www.wingmanmagazine.com/elysia-rotaru-interview/

Edited by tv echo