Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I shouldn't let the IGN "article" weigh on me at all.  At least two of the relationships they were discussing were given end statuses that weren't accurate. No, on Smallville Lois and Clark do not end the series married.  And by the end of Young Justice I'm pretty sure that Superboy and Miss Martian had repaired their relationship.  So yeah, not exactly a high standard I should worry about holding them to.

The comments at IGN have always been very anti-Felicity. At one point, anyone who had something good to say about her were sending comments to Eric via twitter because the comments section was so nasty.

Ditzy always makes me think of I Love Lucy.  A complete ditz on the show, and an executive powerhouse off of it.  Also she was the executive at Paramount who green-lighted the original Star Trek.   Calling her a ditzy secretary says more about what is considered acceptable for a female character than who Felicity really is.

I would have gone with "socially awkward".  Anyone who can code and hack, not to mention organize Oliver, is not a ditz.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 7

Ditzy is not how I would describe FS. More quirky if anything. The babbling is perceived differently by people.

But the secretary thing I blame on the writers. At no point did they really show FS doing the work of a VP. Most of us love FS here, so we let some things slide. But objectively the only visual difference between her job in s2 as EA & s3 as VP was that it was RP instead of OQ and she got her own desk. That makes her easy target for people who aren't invested in her character or facts.

But hey they made the list so kudos for that.

• Love 2

That makes her easy target for people who aren't invested in her character or facts.

And an easy target for people with class issues who think that people in any kind of support position are generally a) replaceable, and b) worthless. Oliver didn't even have a job this year, and yet she's still referred to as his secretary - seems like more of a putdown than a position description when it's used for her. 

• Love 10

I always liked the fact that Lois & Clark remains the one superhero show that ever made the romance itself the sole point of the series, with action/adventure secondary. I can't imagine any show doing that now, but I would really love to see one try it. I guess it had to be a couple as known as Superman and Lois Lane to make that work as a premise. What other superhero character could they even attempt that with?

• Love 4

They really, REALLY hate her over there. 

I'm getting that. Wow. It's pretty funny though. They think because they're all comic book readers that they have the reigning opinion. Wow. Staying away from that toxic mess. 

I'm getting that. Wow. It's pretty funny though. They think because they're all comic book readers that they have the reigning opinion. Wow. Staying away from that toxic mess. 

I mean, I get not liking her. Different strokes and all that, but the language they occasionally use to express that dislike is disgusting.

I mean, I get not liking her. Different strokes and all that, but the language they occasionally use to express that dislike is disgusting.

Exactly. I don't care if they dislike her. When I said 'reigning opinion' I meant that they think that their opinion matters most and is the right one to have.

And yeah, the language is gross. It's probably the worst I've seen it, though I'm not surprised because it's IGN. 

IGN article complimenting Olicity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a few fanboys in the comment section weeping because they don't like what they see. 

Their saltiness keeps me young.

Salt's a preservative you know. :-)

• Love 3

So, about that IGN article...

Do comic Purityrants™ call Oliver "Ollie" because comics? I noticed that the article consistently referred to Ollie and used "Oliver" only once. However, those of us who watch the show and are not comic Purityrants™ know that Ollie/Oliver are not interchangeable. Did the comic Green Arrow character go by Ollie?

Purityrants™ is pronounced either as a mash-up of "Puritan" and "tyrants" or as "purity rants."

Disclaimer: Creation of new words is intended for recreational purposes only and is not an act of criticism of other fans, real or imagined.

• Love 6

Yeah, everybody called him "Ollie" on Smallville, didn't they? On Arrow, the only people who call him Ollie are Thea, Laurel, Tommy and Sara. So it's basically reserved for people who've known him since childhood.

I wonder if they'll have Felicity suddenly start calling him Ollie this season. I kinda hope not, that'd be weird. Unless he tells her he wants her to call him that now (although that might also be kinda weird, he doesn't strike me as somebody who prefers his nickname).

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 2

Yes, it's pretty much Ollie in the comics.

What's really hysterical is when I was reading GA and BoP comics I would go to IGN, Comic Vine and a couple of other comic review sites. I would read the reviews, the comments, and chime in a couple times. While there were a couple of fans who either hated the show or just hated the idea of bringing tv show characters into the comics, most of the comments were fairly positive regarding Felicity.

So who exactly are these "fanboys"?

Edited by Morrigan2575

I visit IGN frequently and I think Season 3 did not do Felicity's character any favors. She was popular in the prior seasons but lately there has been a lot of hate for the character and not just confined to IGN but on a lot of different websites.

For as long as I've been watching Arrow and visiting IGN for news on the show, the commenters there have been nasty about her. It's just gotten worse now that she and Oliver are actually canon. It's not surprising. A lot of them are the same people who sat through the first season of Oliver/Laurel/Tommy, but are now complaining about romance. And also about the fact that Felicity isn't a fun little background character without any emotional depth. She cries too much, she's selfish, she's blah blah blah. People can be as negative about her in the comment section as they like, IMO. 

The writing wasn't so great for her last season, but I think the issue for a lot of people on those sites has more to do with the fact that she's Oliver's girlfriend now, and her name isn't Dinah Laurel Lance. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 7

Pissy fanboys lol. They are so ridiculous with their hate. 

They can dislike her for whatever reason - even if it's ridiculous. I actually find the "Olicity is ruining the show! They were better as friends!" comments amusing, I just don't like the way they express themselves about it sometimes - it tends to be on the misogynistic side. 

• Love 4

Season 3 may not have done Felicity any favors (nor Oliver, or really anyone but Thea and Roy) but it did make her somewhat of a more rounded out character.

Season 4 is supposed to be lighter and more fun.  Will they still hate her when she's back to bringing the humour because she's in a relationship with Oliver?  It will be interesting to find out.

• Love 2

Well technically, according to comments there, the only bad thing Felicity did in s3 is cry too much. So if she's not crying and they still complain, I say conspiracy theory! Haha.

A list of things Felicity allegedly was in S3: 

• Rude
  • Selfish
  • Whiny
  • Annoying
  • Slut
  • Bitch to Oliver/Ray

A list of things she allegedly did that made no sense:

• Not get backhanded by Ra's after confronting him
  • Take out an LoA member all by herself by hitting him with a stick
  • Take out an LoA member with her tablet
  • Flew the ATOM suit

Some people exhaust me. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2

I have a hard time arguing with the first set, because what's annoying? What's rude? I mean, a ton of people consider Laurel turning off the TV at CNRI in the pilot rude, and I don't even think it's in the vicinity given the circumstances. So, someone wants to think Felicity's whiny and annoying, there's really no arguing that. Whiny and annoying to me are different than they are to others, probably. I'd argue her selfishness since it resulted in, you know, saving someone else's life. Calling her a slut is gross, but not surprising given the mindset of some people in this fandom.

The other bullets, though. LOL.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

The other bullets, though. LOL.

Some people are just thirsty :p

The things that I actually disliked re: Felicity this season: 

• Enabling Laurel by helping her fool Quentin
  • Telling Ray she's sorry in episode 17
  • Just episode 7 in general

Things I didn't understand why she got hate over:

• Felicity turning off the lights (I didn't think much of when LL did sort of the same thing with the TV)
  • Being adversarial towards Oliver when he was making questionable decisions
  • Reacting to Oliver who was about to day in the finale
  • When Felicity voiced that she couldn't believe Oliver was getting married while they were in a jail cell and couldn't do anything else
  • Asking Ray for the plane after they broke up
Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 5

I have a hard time arguing with the first set, because what's annoying? What's rude?

• Rude - When she was against Oliver when it came to his stupid decisions and the whole I don't want to be a woman you love thing. 
  • Selfish - "No, Ray! Oliver!"
  • Whiny - Crying all the time even though she literally only cried as a result of Oliver dying twice, Sara dying, and Oliver putting himself in ridiculous situations
  • Annoying - Look at whiny, when she thought of Oliver in that cell, 
  • Bitch to Oliver/Ray - Episode 17, and omfg she led both of them oN!!!!!

No, no, I meant that annoying and rude is hard to argue against, since those are more personal behavioral preferences. I don't find crying babies on planes annoying, but some people do. So, I wouldn't argue Felicity being annoying or rude. I would take issue with someone insisting that Felicity was selfish or a slut, though.

• Love 1

My Problem with Felicity this season was they moved her into the Adversarial/counter Oliver position Laural had the first 2(3) seasons. Some of it felt organic to the character but some of it was so not her. Felicity has never been one to always agree with Oliver but the way it was done this season was just stripped of the warmth that she usually had before this season. Plus the show never replaced a more positive outlook person on the show so everbody was just depressing. Though I guess they thought Ray was replacement but yeah-no.

And her crying to Laurel just was unnessary and imo was only left in to keep Laurel in the episode. Big mistake imo

I personally really enjoyed Felicity in episode 20 and the finale. I loved her in the ATOM suit. Oliver was adorable as she. How can you not enjoy that?

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 3

My Problem with Felicity this season was they moved her into the Adversarial/counter Oliver position Laural had the first 2(3) seasons. Some of it felt organic to the character but some of it was so not her. Felicity has never been one to always agree with Oliver but the way it was done this season was just stripped of the warmth that she usually had before this season. Plus the show never replaced a more positive outlook person on the show so everbody was just depressing. Though I guess they thought Ray was replacement but yeah-no.

And her crying to Laurel just was unnessary and imo was only left in to keep Laurel in the episode. Big mistake imo

I personally really enjoyed Felicity in episode 20 and the finale. I loved her in the ATOM suit. Oliver was adorable as she. How can you not enjoy that?

Taking to Felicity's thread

Stephen Amell's WWE Fight With Stardust Helped Raise Over $228K For Charity
Jay Jayson- 08/27/2015
http://comicbook.com/2015/08/28/stephen-amells-wwe-fight-with-stardust-helped-raise-over-228k-fo/

Stardust Issues a Statement on Stephen Amell, Amell Training for a Return?
Posted by Eric Arrington  August 27, 2015
http://dailywrestlingnews.com/stardust-issues-a-statement-on-stephen-amell-amell-training-for-a-return/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Stephen Amell's WWE Fight With Stardust Helped Raise Over $228K For Charity

Jay Jayson- 08/27/2015

http://comicbook.com/2015/08/28/stephen-amells-wwe-fight-with-stardust-helped-raise-over-228k-fo/

Man, that is seriously incredible. Especially given that it felt like a shorter timeframe compared to some of his campaigns. Anyone among our numbers people here on the forum have other totals for his charitable campaigns this year?

• Rude - When she was against Oliver when it came to his stupid decisions and the whole I don't want to be a woman you love thing. 

And yet, when that guy interviewed MG and asked what his favourite scene that he'd written,, MG said it was the "I don't want to be a woman you love" scene.

Fingers crossed...

Five Things We Want to See in Arrow Season 4
By Chris King on Aug 28, 2015
http://www.tvovermind.com/arrow/five-things-want-see-arrow-season-4-263248

A Happy and United Oliver and Felicity
After three seasons of struggling to find the right way and time to be together, Oliver and Felicity ended Arrow Season 3 by riding out of Starling City (now Star City) and off into the sunset, happy and in love as a couple. And now that the two Team Arrow members are officially an item, I suggest that the Arrow writers keep them that way. No major drama. No break-ups. Let Oliver and Felicity be happy together for a little while, and when challenges do arise, have the two of them work out these problems as one strong unit. While some TV writers and producers worry that their show’s main couple will get stale boring or stale once they’re finally together and throw countless curve balls at the two characters as a result, there’s no need to drag Oliver and Felicity down with unnecessary drama. There are plenty of shows, such as Chuck or Fringe or even Smallville, just to name a few, where couples get together, and the creative team finds new and inventive ways of creating friction between them, while still having the couple deal with these complications in a realistic and mature way; let’s hope that Arrow follows that example, while also treating Olicity fans to some cute and fun moments between Oliver and Felicity as well.

FYI, the other 4 things were:

- Diggle Back in Action
- Continued Focus on Thea and Laurel
- A Frightening and Formidable Villain
- More Nyssa

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Man, that is seriously incredible. Especially given that it felt like a shorter timeframe compared to some of his campaigns. Anyone among our numbers people here on the forum have other totals for his charitable campaigns this year?

I couldn't find $'s anywhere but he sold 67,137 in the "Sinceriously" t-shirt campaign.  In 2014 35,915 FCancer t-shirts had been sold with 25 hours left in the campaign.  This was more than all FCancer t-shirt sales combined at that point.  I couldn't find a final number. Both campaigns were longer than AmellvsStardust which sold 15,689 in 6 days generating the $228K.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Love 1

A recent interview with Rick Haskins, EVP for Marketing and Digital Programs at The CW, primarily talked about Vixen, but also had this to say about Arrow and Flash...

Is that more of an accident of how your responsibilities have evolved over the last several years, or is it an effort by the network to coordinate what’s going on TV with what’s going online?
The latter. If you look at CW Seed and what we’re trying to accomplish, it’s part and parcel with the CW brand with more of a focus on comedy. We have 10 hours of broadcast a week with a focus on dramas, and on CW seed we focus on comedy and try and infuse the network into our shows. Vixen is based on a DC character and also stars Flash and Arrow, and The Flash and Arrow are two of our biggest stars on air.
For a show like The Flash, what percentage of the shows total viewers would you say mostly watch the show when it airs vs. some other way?
About 77 percent of our viewership is time-delayed, which is VOD, DVR and digital. The CW is the most time-delayed network of any broadcast network. That’s based on some TV research that came out last week.
Will Vixen be one episode a week for six weeks?
Yes. Not only is Vixen a great opportunity to promote CW Seed, but it’s a great way for us to push into the launches of The Flash and Arrow. The last episode of Vixen on CW Seed will be the week before The Flash and Arrow premiere on air.
Will Vixen tie into the stories on the upcoming episodes of Arrow and The Flash, or is it more of a standalone story?
Yes and no. There are characters from Arrow and Flash in Vixen, but it won’t change what’s happening on those shows.

But it will be canon to those shows.
Yes, absolutely. They all reside in the same DC world. We had a picture on Facebook of the animated version of STAR Labs from Flash, and it has had a reach of 200,000 users.
Are you concerned at all that having so much overlapping mythology will either be too much for viewers to keep up with or would be a barrier for entry for new viewers?
I think it’s just the opposite. We have three separate platforms, and what we’ve seen so far is a huge synergy. When we did the crossover last December from Flash to Arrow and Arrow to Flash, it was the highest-rated Arrow to date.

I watch The Flash, but I don’t watch Arrow, and I don’t feel like I miss anything. I get the impression that there are things happening that I don’t know about, but it doesn’t seem to impair understanding what’s happening on The Flash.
And I think it will continue to be that way. If you are following all three, you’ll know exactly what’s going on. If you don’t follow all three, you’ll still have an incredibly satisfying experience on the shows you watch.
What kind of metrics would be doing well?
Numbers are important, but it’s also a function of how it drives people to Flash and Arrow. We’re doing exclusive Flash and Arrow promos that can only be seen when you go to Vixen. If that drives people back to the shows, that’s a success.

CW EXECUTIVE RICK HASKINS TALKS ‘VIXEN,’ THEIR NEW DIGITAL-ONLY EXTENSION OF THE DC COMICS UNIVERSE
By Scott Porch  September 1, 2015 // 10:00am
http://decider.com/2015/09/01/vixen-cw-seed/

Edited by tv echo

I'm not even sure what their intentions with the DJ promo. Perhaps they were trying to capitalize on MTV Video awards. Or maybe that new Zac Efron movie that crashed & burned. Who knows.... I will never understand the CW promo/PR dept, except to know that they are probably too under-budgeted to get things together.

I loved what the Vixen guy said... basically watch all shows & you'll understand everything. Only watch one, and you'll  probably still enjoy it. Part of me gets that logic, since beyond the major crossover in the fall - the other crossover appearances were incidental or not that important to need to see. Even their characterizations were not the greatest on Flash, imo.