Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I already answered this in the spoiler thread.

Hide contents

He was given talking points about 501 which is called Legacy and has a freaking statue to Laurel/BC in it.  That's why DR was talking up Laurel becuse he knew 501 was going to suck up to St Laurel.  IMO

Yes, that I get. :) My question was what would being happy he wasn't dead have to do with it. As I said, I'm sure he is, but it doesn't seem a motivation.

4 minutes ago, looptab said:

Yes, that I get. :) My question was what would being happy he wasn't dead have to do with it. As I said, I'm sure he is, but it doesn't seem a motivation.

As i said, it was 2 things, one he's happy he still has a job and two he was given talking points. I guarentee you if i thought my job was on the line and someone else got fired instead? I'd be happy about keeping my job and talking really nicely about the "poor" person that took the bullet instead of me.

Tje idea that DR is only (or even partially) saying it to suck up to LL fans doesn't make sense. LL fans aren't going to pay for DRs lounges, nor are they going to sit through DR panels. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Nice write-up on SA's history and projects...

IN PROFILE: Stephen Amell – Marathon Man
Posted on 5 July, 2016 by Tanavi P
Written by Isabelle Kadyn
http://www.fanisma.com/2016/07/in-profile-stephen-amell-marathon-man/

But with the show entering its fifth season and nearing its end (unless it turns into Supernatural with a 12 year tour of duty), one wonders what Amell will do next. This spring, he embarked on his first worldwide tour to promote Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows. The Michael Bay production where he is cast as vigilante Casey Jones seems like a natural progression if not a repeat on the big screen of his heroics on Arrow. As popcorn movies go it is enjoyable and it certainly didn’t hurt his career since the movie grossed enough money that another follow up is conceivable. Amell is now signed up for an untold numbers of Turtles movies and being envisioned as someone you can trust with the future of a franchise is no small feat indeed. Nevertheless, it can also be binding. Between that and Arrow, the competitive Canadian will now have little time to venture elsewhere. And he still needs THE project that would make him a household name.
Code 8 with its super heroes a la X-Men sounds exciting and could potentially change the way movies are produced if successful. But no matter how the film fares, Stephen will very likely only play a small acting part in it, given how time-consuming Arrow is. Especially now he is expected to guest star in every DC property he helped launched on The CW. So we can only live in hope he will soon encounter THE feature that will showcase his acting chops and not just his bulging muscles. The man has range and sometimes his looks make it easy to forget. Arrow had a good run but when it’s over, here’s to Stephen Amell finishing his last lap with a bang. Let’s hope he finds his Top Gun, or his Magnolia. He, who idolizes Tom Cruise to the point of naming his daughter Mavi after the character Maverick, can only dream of the same success. Good thing he doesn’t belong to a cult, because with his natural charisma it’s always hard not to buy what he’s selling. The insurance company he used to work for must regret his leaving every day. But once Stephen Amell starts running, he’s hard to catch up with. So, I guess we’ll see him on the finish line with his trademark smile, a sparkle in his blue eyes, a little grey around the edges maybe but if we’re lucky, he’ll still drop the shirt… and put ‘dadbod’ to shame.

SA-abs-300x233.jpg

SA-closing-the-ring-300x199.jpg

SA-mavi-300x297.jpg

Edited by tv echo
42 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

As i said, it was 2 things, one he's happy he still has a job and two he was given talking points. I guarentee you if i thought my job was on the line and someone else got fired instead? I'd be happy about keeping my job and talking really nicely about the "poor" person that took the bullet instead of me.

Tje idea that DR is only (or even partially) saying it to suck up to LL fans doesn't make sense. LL fans aren't going to pay for DRs lounges, nor are they going to sit through DR panels. 

I wasn't insisting on this to prove my point was right and yours wrong, I was genuinely curious. And I misread your first post, because I thought you had posited those things as 'either..or'.

Anyway it doesn't quite cut it for me. ::shrugs:: 

(edited)
2 hours ago, looptab said:

Right, that's why I quoted.:) His favorite scene,her death scene? That's major shade, haha.

@lemotomato, here's what I think, and maybe it's going to sound far-fetched to some,or too cynical, but I think he's doing it to ingratiate himself to her fans? Which is what I think about him talking up Olicity, but that's another story.. :)

Ingratiate is not the word I would use but I think David is smart to talk up Olicity AND Original Team Arrow. He knows a lot of fans like the pairing and the core trio so it makes sense for him to champion them. Also keeps Digg relevant. (Kinda like Paul Blackthorne talking SmoaknLance before there was a SmoaknLance, he saw it as another pathway to keep his character relevant. My friends and I joke that SmoaknLance saved Paul's job :P )

I don't think David is trying to "ingratiate" himself to LL's fans either. Why would he? Diggle is so much more loved than that character, IMO. But like @Morrigan2575 said he was probably given talking points by the producers. I would go even further and say David is the one being used by TPTB to sell the idea of LL's legacy and relevance. Same way Laurel Lance was attached to Digg in Season 4 (he talked to her about Andy, etc.), producers are still using Digg (and by extension, David) to SELL Laurel. 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 6

I'll third (or whatever the number is - suffering from jet lag at the moment) the talking points spec - especially since LL's death and Diggle's feeling of responsibility for it set his storyline in motion for the end of last season, and whatever's happening in the fifth. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Ingratiate is not the word I would use but I think David is smart to talk up Olicity AND Original Team Arrow. He knows a lot of fans like the pairing and the core trio so it makes sense for him to champion them. Also keeps Digg relevant. (Kinda like Paul Blackthorne talking SmoaknLance before there was a SmoaknLance, he saw it as another pathway to keep his character relevant. My friends and I joke that SmoaknLance saved Paul's job :P )

I don't think David is trying to "ingratiate" himself to LL's fans either. Why would he? Diggle is so much more loved than that character, IMO. But like @Morrigan2575 said he was probably given talking points by the producers. I would go even further and say David is the one being used by TPTB to sell the idea of LL's legacy and relevance. Same way Laurel Lance was attached to Digg in Season 4 (he talked to her about Andy, etc.), producers are still using Digg (and by extension, David) to SELL Laurel. 

Never said it wasn't smart :) And yeah, I totally agree about the talking points. Poor David.

To clarify, I didn't mean it as if he needs it to increase his popularity. Perhaps I used the wrong word. Appease, maybe? We know there are people who took their frustration with the show out with the actors. Remember the comments when Stephen posted his ship of the year video with David and Emily. I don't know, maybe he's trying to show his 'support' to the character to not be in the line of fire,  since, as you said, he often talks about OTA. Beside of the selling reasons. IMO.

Unrelated, but in that pic above with his daughter Stephen has the perfect Jersey Shore look o.O

Edited by looptab
(edited)
1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

DR definitely talks up OTA because it means more Diggle. He has a vested interest in OTA since he's one leg of that Team.  I think, he also knows it's popular and it's something that he enjoyed very early on in S1.

I think DR talks up Olicity because he knows it's popular but, it also supports Diggle.  I know that sounds weird but, the show/DR/Producers have always said that Diggle is where Oliver will/should be in 5 years.  So, talking up Olicity is a lead in for DR to talk Diggle and Diggle/Lyla.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 7

I agree with the group that said DR was given talking points, especially if they continue to link his character to LL. S4 Dig was the go to we need LL to have a good moment scene partner. He joined the military again in parts because of Andy's death, but also because he felt responsible for LL's death. I can't help but think that will carry over into s5.

Was all of the LL love from DR at his private panel or was KC present during it?

I only ask because its harder to shade a character/actor when they are sitting a few feet away from you. Even if I want to shade a work colleague, I generally do not do it when I am in their presence. So perhaps the fact that it was a shared panel or maybe KC was in hearing distance backstage or at the venue might have influenced how DR talked about LL. Plus people tend not to disparage the dead, so who knows maybe this extends to fictional characters for DR?

4 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

Mavi is named after Maverick in Top Gun?  I did not know that and now can't stop laughing.  

He says she isn't but I find that hard to believe.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, bijoux said:

He says she isn't but I find that hard to believe.

I got the impression that him and his wife have different reasons they decided on Maverick. Or at least the was the impression I got from his Live with Kelly interview. Perhaps its not after Top Gun for him, but I wouldn't put it past his wife. Then again Maverick is a unique name and has ties to Texas which is where she is from so maybe its a combination of a lot of things.

11 hours ago, looptab said:

Remember the comments when Stephen posted his ship of the year video with David and Emily.

I honestly don't, so I'd appreciate it if someone would remind me.

I think I heard crickets.... or perhaps it was tumbleweeds rolling down the street.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's about all I remember from any video they did for ship of the year.

I don't remember specific reactions either tbh.

i do know that a lot of times a thread on reddit is created to direct interested parties and they often mob them with nasty comments. That's what I've observed anyways, and not all the time.

I hope that wasn't fan talk I did try to make sure what I said was ok lol.

(edited)

I really don't know how to answer this without the fan talk, so I'll try my best :) Here's the link to the video. I'll just say that the reaction to it prompted Stephen to do another video - just an hour later - in which he "set some rules" regarding the behavior on his page - and the attacks towards his castmates. 

https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/videos/1027691593982774/

Second video :

https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/videos/1027731367312130/

Edited by looptab
avoiding fan talk is hard. :D
7 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

When Craig Byrne gets to spread his agenda and level of butthurt on Collider.

http://collider.com/arrow-season-5-olicity/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social

It's funny. I started reading it and agreeing with him to an extent (mostly about going back to grounded reality rather than a large magic plot), but it sadly just went downhill from there.

Besides the arguments that he stated that we've argued against many a time, one thing he brought up that bothered me was him comparing the idea that we met Felicity's parents to the idea that we would never meet Diggle's parents. That's kind of framing it like Diggle got nothing. We still got to see him have a family, wife and daughter, and even had him have a subplot about his brother. That's honestly more interesting to me than meeting Diggle's parents (even though I would  always enjoy knowing more about Diggle's backstory).

• Love 7
(edited)

LOL.

1) How come Oliver as Mayor is an acceptable personal storyline, yet Oliver in a relationship with Felicity is not?

2) I love how he introduced his rant about Olicity and Felicity by first talking about Laurel being dead, then the reaction in the fandom. But I thought the article was about whether Arrow could go back to his glory days? What do those 4 central paragraphs have to do with anything? What does the fanbase have to do with anything? 

3)"Even the Legends of Tomorrow set up a 2-parter that had large diversions of “Olicity” drama instead of sticking to the awesomeness of seeingThe Flash and Arrow characters together." I'm guessing he meant the crossovers, but now I just want to nitpick.

4) We've had the Green Arrow/Black Canary crime-fighting team. Twice. With two different canaries. So what's all that stuff about dashed hopes and such? hahah.

What a joke. It's like he's saying, "please, shippers, shut up, because if you shut up I can finally get the show I want".

Edited by looptab
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, looptab said:

4) We've had the Green Arrow/Black Canary crime-fighting team. Twice. With two different canaries. So what's all that stuff about dashed hopes and such? hahah.

It's about HIS hopes, lol. He wanted to see KC running around in fishnets since the pilot and that never happened. Also because she and her stunt double would have frozen to death but in fantasy land there's no space for details.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, looptab said:

What a joke. It's like he's saying, "please, shippers, shut up, because if you shut up I can finally get the show I want".

It IS exactly what he's saying.

Which makes it even more hilarious because the show he wanted stopped existing the second the suits started looking for someone to take over Laurel as The One Woman.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, way2interested said:

It's funny. I started reading it and agreeing with him to an extent (mostly about going back to grounded reality rather than a large magic plot), but it sadly just went downhill from there.

Besides the arguments that he stated that we've argued against many a time, one thing he brought up that bothered me was him comparing the idea that we met Felicity's parents to the idea that we would never meet Diggle's parents. That's kind of framing it like Diggle got nothing. We still got to see him have a family, wife and daughter, and even had him have a subplot about his brother. That's honestly more interesting to me than meeting Diggle's parents (even though I would  always enjoy knowing more about Diggle's backstory).

More than that, the idea that Felicity's father ended up being a villain just because of the fans. Now, I don't remember the timeline well, but I think the interest over Felicity's father in the fandom peaked after some comments from the EPs hinting at him. I believe they said they always knew who he was - although it took them 4 years to introduce him.  What does the fandom have to do with him being a villain? I think Felicity's fans would have been just as happy if he was just a regular, simply awful man. No one pressured the writers into making him a villain, not that I'm aware of. Donna being with Lance is another story, but, well, the loudest person campaigning for that was paul Blackthorne, so he should air his grievances with him.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 3

You also gotta understand that Arrow was Craig's second chance/~redemption story~ at finally watching his precious canonic GA/BC 'ship happen, since Smallville also pooed on his head about it hardcore. And then it got derailed about three billion times worse on Arrow.

The lesson here is, 'shipping is HARD, and not for the weak.

• Love 14

How true this is I don't know, but the producers have said they knew who Felicity's father was back in season two. It seems possible that had the show not - how to put this - felt compelled to add Brandon Routh and other things to season three and to spend part of the first part of season four setting up Legends of Tomorrow, we would have seen the Calculator much sooner. 

Meanwhile, this:

"Very few recent TV seasons have inspired such a wide range of reactions as Season 4 of Arrow. "

Game of ThronesThe 100 and even The Muppets would like to have a talk. (Lots of people really liked The Muppets! Others....did not.)

• Love 12

I don't give a crap about what he wants from the show. What makes me furious was that Collider gave him a wider platform to attack fans. This:

this pairing has taken over the show in such a way that if Oliver or Felicity were to ever have another love interest on the series, I’d fear for the level of harassment that the production team will get over it.

There's a term for this, isn't there? Targeting a group and accusing them of causing trouble when they haven't done anything yet? It's done in politics all the time.

• Love 7
(edited)
6 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I don't give a crap about what he wants from the show. What makes me furious was that Collider gave him a wider platform to attack fans. This:

There's a term for this, isn't there? Targeting a group and accusing them of causing trouble when they haven't done anything yet? It's done in politics all the time.

Slander? (Asking for clarification, not being a Captain Obvious) :D

Edited by looptab
(edited)

And ignoring the harassment the writers are already getting. Daily. LOL. No need to worry about what might happen maybe one day.

I can't help it but find it so hilarious that he is so pressed about GA/BC not being a couple and this time it happened on a show where the GA is the main character! Life is tough sometimes..

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Yeah, fear mongering.

• Love 3
(edited)

The article is supposed to be about how to make the show better and he spends most of it complaining about a fanbase and worrying what that fanbase could do lol.

I really don't see how those glory days of arrow season 1 or 2 had less focus on romance what with a messy love triangle being a huge storyline as well as Oliver having 2 other love interests and then a repeat of sister swapping in season 2 as well as the olicity build up. So Idk how anyone watching at this point hasn't accepted that romance is a big part of the show and always will be because it's been that way for 4 seasons.Guess it's only a problem when it's a romance they don't want and I get that but at least admit it. 

I really don't get how olicity had anything to do with forcing them to bring in Felicity's parents. Sure olicity made Felicity lead female but the other regulars also had at least 2  family members introduced and were given storylines. Using Diggle as an example doesn't really hold up considering we saw his wife who turned out to be an agent of an organization Oliver has big ties with, we saw his brother who happened to be tied to the main villain plot of season 4 and we saw his sister in law, nephew and Digg has a kid.

Season 2 was literally a season with a lot of the BC/GA relationship and Sara was the closest to comic BC as they ever got. She also got plenty of focus and there was plenty of BC/GA teaming up to fight crime as both friends and a couple. Then there was a season of Laurel as BC and tho she was less connected to Oliver and wasn't his main crime fighting partner she was still on the team and it was yet another telling of the BC story. So Idk how anyone can say BC wasn't given focus on arrow. They gave that storyline focus twice with two different characters,they just didn't want that as their endgame which I'm guessing is the problem here.

Edited by tangerine95
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, tangerine95 said:

I really don't see how those glory days of arrow season 1 or 2 had less focus on romance what with a messy love triangle being a huge storyline as well as Oliver having 2 other love interests and then a repeat of sister swapping in season 2 as well as the olicity build up. So Idk how anyone watching at this point hasn't accepted that romance is a big part of the show and always will be because it's been that way for 4 seasons. Guess it's only a problem when it's a romance they don't want and I get that but at least admit it.

Someone I was talking to had a hilarious insight -- when they questioned why was the romance in S1 okay, and the romance in S3/S4 isn't, it's because the former wasn't "romance". It's "canon". So it's okay.

• Love 11

Seems pretty obvious to me that Bryne's problem is with Felicity and blames everything that happened to his pet, Laurel on Felicity being a character. He just won't admit that Laurel DID NOT work in Arrow from the beginning.  He got HIS Black Canary eventually.  And she'll live better in memory than in life. You'd think that would make him happy.

• Love 2
(edited)

Charlotte Ross Talks Mother/Daughter Relationship, SmoakNLance & Olicity Baby Names
by LYRA  July 5, 2016
http://fangirlish.com/charlotte-ross-talks-motherdaughter-relationship-smoaknlance-olicity-baby-names/

As soon as Charlotte Ross came to our screens, it was easy to see that she had chemistry with her on screen daughter Emily Bett Rickards. The anger and confusion at not understanding the others motivations came off a raw and a truthful portrayal of two people who had become disconnected from the other and we couldn’t help but want for more of the Smoak duo.

“There’s a natural chemistry and I just feel really blessed to have and continue to work with somebody like her (Emily.) She’s really just a beautiful person. Along with obviously being very talented. But we fall into a natural rhythm. I think we did right away. And I think the fans really caught onto that really fast. I think the fans were really supportive of that right off the bat which was really surprising to me and I was really taken by it. And again I’m just so grateful.”
“I think you guys all probably can assume that Emily’s a beautiful person inside. And I don’t say that lightly or just for press. I mean I really think that she’s, I think people call her a unicorn, and there’s a lot of truth in that. She is just an old soul and I think that when I look into her eyes it just feels so natural.”

Another relationship that comes off as natural to viewers is the one she has with Paul Blackthorne and his character Quentin Lance. In an unexpected turn for fans, that we’re part of the hashtag ‘GetLanceLaid’, we saw two people who had been previously burned, give love another chance.

Charlotte explained that she loved portraying a mature relationship because it’s a part of life. “As much as it hurts and sucks to get burned there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I think that it makes you appreciate when the good happens or makes you wanna work for it. So I think there’s a real realism to the fact of two people coming together, young or old, that have been burned. You have your walls up to a certain extent and the trick is not to become hard and have them up so much that you don’t let love in.”
“For Season 5 I would love to explore my relationship with Emily more.”

As they’ve reconnected, they’ve also built a friendship full of respect and love for each other that has allowed them to put aside the annoyances of the past. They can now share the things that scare, excite, or frighten them. The one person that encompasses all of these things is her daughters ex-fiancee Oliver Queen, who just so happens to be the Green Arrow.

“You know, I think it’s amazing that she hasn’t found that out yet. I think it’s overdue. I think a lot of people have been asking me that. I think that it’s gonna happen soon.”
“At the end of the day the safety of her daughter is what’s most important. So I think she might be really worried and concerned about that.”
Not that she won’t be rooting for Felicity and Oliver. If you peel back the layers of being burned you’ll see that Donna holds a naivety that believes in love and how it can change your life. Oliver and Felicity have that love. So it might take some time until she feels comfortable enough to start planning their wedding or what she’s going to name their first child if she had the chance.

On that baby note, Charlotte pointed out that Donna wouldn’t have a preference on the sex of an Olicity baby if the chance ever came up. She would want, “a really healthy baby that is able to enjoy life in a healthy way. So it would be a blessing to have a grandchild.”

And as for names for the Olicity baby, Donna’s fun and crazy personality shines through a little bit more, “Maybe as a girl Sunshine. Maybe as a boy, I can’t think of anything. Maybe Jeffrey.”
“I think that I’d like to know more about Donna in general in terms of her life and what her background is. I don’t know. Maybe she can open a club or something. Teach a workout class.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Warning: most of this article talks about spoilers (so don't click on link if you don't want to be spoiled) - I'm posting this here only for the paragraph quoted below which gives Arrow credit for DC TV...

‘Arrow’ Season 5: Everything We Know So Far
Nick Cannata-Bowman July 6, 2016
http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/arrow-season-5-everything-know.html/?a=viewall

Arrow has enjoyed a successful run over its four seasons (albeit one that hasn’t been without its fair share of speed bumps). In that time, it’s become the paragon for modern superhero television, spawning a vast expanded universe of companion shows for DC on The CW. A strong argument can even be made that TV has been DC’s most successful medium. None of this would have been possible without Arrow though, now going strong into its fifth season.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, quarks said:

How true this is I don't know, but the producers have said they knew who Felicity's father was back in season two. It seems possible that had the show not - how to put this - felt compelled to add Brandon Routh and other things to season three and to spend part of the first part of season four setting up Legends of Tomorrow, we would have seen the Calculator much sooner. 

Meanwhile, this:

"Very few recent TV seasons have inspired such a wide range of reactions as Season 4 of Arrow. "

Game of ThronesThe 100 and even The Muppets would like to have a talk. (Lots of people really liked The Muppets! Others....did not.)

Based on memory, the summer between S1 and S2 was the first mention. Someone fromnthe show (i want to say MG) tweeted out asking for casting suggestions for Felicity's parents.  IIRC the suggestions were all actors that had played smart characters in the past, Amanda Tapping (Carter from SG1) was the popular suggestion for Mama Smoak.

I think it was during the promo for Flash, which was early S2, that they mentioned Geoff Johns having Felicity's background and mapped out and knowing who her father would be.

I think the first indication that Felicity's father would be a villain came when they first mentioned The Clock Kibg as her nemesis. The in 213 when Felicity gave that speech.  People realized he would end up being a villain just by standard tropes.  When Felicity talked about her mom in 221, people were certain Papa Smoak would be a villain because Mama Smoak was so normal. Once Clock King was ruled out, most spec about Papa Smoak was related to Vegas and Gambling.  People talked about Royal Flush gang 2.0.

The fans did not force the EP's to make Papa Smoak a villain.

• Love 9
(edited)

Arrow: Olicity Was Built on the Solid Foundation of Friendship
by ALYSSA BARBIERI   July 6, 2016
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-olicity-built-solid-foundation-friendship/

Make no mistake, the producers, the actors, the studio all know what the biggest talking point about Arrow is: Oliver and Felicity. So there is no way that the show would waste that potential. Yes, Arrow is about Oliver’s journey toward becoming the Green Arrow, but the aspect of the show that has received the most buzz — be it positive or negative — has been Olicity. So it’s obviously a selling point.

Basically at HVFF, Amell did exactly what he should be doing: he kept the fandom and the media talking about Olicity during a hiatus that is typically quiet. He was able to tease the fan-favorite pairing without ever revealing any spoilers about where their relationship was headed this season. And it generated a ton of buzz. Props to Amell for that.

Something that Amell mentioned during a panel at HVFF was that Oliver and Felicity could have a fulfilling relationship and not be together. But it’s the truth. We’ve seen that in the first three seasons. Of course he was trolling the fandom, but at the same time he brought for an interesting topic of discussion: friendship.

When we think of friendship particularly in romance there’s this perception that friends can’t be lovers. But there’s a difference between being stuck in the friend zone and building a relationship upon friendship. Olicity fall into the latter.

When it comes to Oliver and Felicity their relationship was built upon that solid foundation of friendship. Friendship is key in a relationship. If you don’t like being around the person you love then it’s safe to assume that relationship won’t last.

But the thing that has always worked with Oliver and Felicity is that they weren’t thrown together romantically from the beginning. They grew into that romance throughout the course of two seasons of development as partners, friends, and then lovers. But it’s that friendship that is the reason behind the strength of their relationship.
We’ve seen Oliver and Felicity go from acquaintances to friends and saw how much they leaned on each other even then. Long before they both admitted and accepted that their feelings for each other ran deeper than friendship. The significance of their relationship has never been defined by romance. But that romance has become an important and vital part.

With production on season five getting away, one of the hot topics is the status and future of Oliver and Felicity’s relationship. While the two aren’t together at the start of the season, according to Amell, that doesn’t mean anything about where they are headed. Just look at how they started last season and where they ended up. Nothing is confirmed about Olicity’s future this season or in the long run. Everything right now is pure speculation.

But one thing that has and will never change is the depth and strength of Oliver and Felicity’s relationship. They have always proven themselves to be stronger together than apart, whether that’s as friends, partners, or lovers. Amell wasn’t lying when he said that Oliver and Felicity could have a fulfilling relationship and not be involved romantically. That’s just the Captain having a little fun with the fandom.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, tv echo said:

They have always proven themselves to be stronger together than apart, whether that’s as friends, partners, or lovers. Amell wasn’t lying when he said that Oliver and Felicity could have a fulfilling relationship and not be involved romantically. That’s just the Captain having a little fun with the fandom.

Another reason I couldn't be an actor. This thought process: Hey, these fans have helped me get where I am today...it'll be so much fun to ruin their day!

• Love 1
(edited)

One reviewer's opinion on what he hopes will happen with Olicity...

'Arrow' Season 5 Teaser: Have We Seen the Last of Olicity? 
Derek Stauffer   Wednesday, July 06, 2016
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/arrow/should-oliver-and-felicity-sta-60510.aspx

Whether you're a fan of the relationship or not, ... Oliver and Felicity's romance has become a huge part of Arrow. A storyline that started as a fan campaign and winking nods has turned into one of the most important subplots of a show. It's arguable to say that Arrow is as much a show about Felicity and Oliver's romance as it is about the adventures of a vigilante superhero. While it is a credit to Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickard's acting and chemistry that this is the case, it's time to dial things back.

Oliver and Felicity's relationship started off about as organic as any TV romance can possibly appear. When Felicity was introduced she was never "meant" to be Oliver's love interest. She wasn't even meant to be a main character but that's what happened because of the unique charm and wit of the actress and character. 
This is a large part of what made Oliver and Felicity feel so special. There wasn't that level of contrivance and manipulation felt in many TV romances. They just made sense. Since season 3 though, that has changed, to where Oliver and Felicity's romance often becomes the biggest part of the show. While personally I had no problem with Laurel's death scene, it is a little ridiculous that her last words on the show have to do with Oliver's relationship with Felicity. 

This is just one example of many over seasons 3 and 4 of Arrow where Olicity didn't just become an important part of the show. It became the whole show. Admittedly Arrow season 4 balanced the romance with the action a lot better than season 3. Still, there is a long way to go to get back to the same organic feeling. Maybe it's best to not even try. 
There is no denying that the way Oliver and Felicity broke up in season 4 was brain-dead stupid. Speaking of manipulation and contrivances, Felicity calling off her engagement to Oliver made very little sense for the character and people were rightly outraged. It might be in Arrow's best interest to make the best of a bad situation and keep them apart. 
Having Oliver and Felicity develop a nice and fulfilling friendship would be a good way of dealing with the break-up. It can remind audiences why Oliver and Felicity are good together without it becoming the entire show. Furthermore, it would be a nice way to not repeat a similar situation to season 3, when Oliver and Felicity "broke up" before they ever got together and spent the rest of the season pining over one another and not talking. No Arrow fan needs to relive that boring torture.

This is not to suggest that Oliver and Felicity should stay apart forever on Arrow. If there is an endgame to Arrow, it more than likely involves Oliver and Felicity together and in a happy state of semi-domestic bliss. It just might be a good idea to keep that endgame state an actual endgame. Keep Oliver and Felicity as friends until the final season when Arrow is finally ready to have them get together and stay together. 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Well, at least I never have to worry about my blood pressure rising when I read an Emertainment Monthly article  (warning: mentions some spoilery casting news - posted in Spoilers thread)...

Ten Female Characters We Want To See During ‘Arrow’ Season Five
July 6, 2016   Nora Dominick ‘17
http://emertainmentmonthly.com/2016/07/06/more-female-characters-arrow-season-5/

... With only two main female cast members, Emily Bett Rickards and Willa Holland, left after season four, Arrow needs some fresh-female faces to be added to the ever expanding universe.

According to USA Today and with data provided by Nielsen this past November, the average audience member who tunes in to watch Supergirl every week is almost completely equal in terms of gender parity. In terms of Arrow, 58% of viewers are male and 42% of viewers are female, and that number is growing. In the same USA Today article, Brad Adgate, an analyst at the ad firm Horizon Media, says “There is such a limited supply of female superheroes, it would be very appealing for women to watch… [A show that can] attract both genders, a dual audience, bodes well for its success.”

With a growing Arrow female fan base in mind, Emertainment Monthly has decided to round up the top ten female characters we want to join or see more of during Arrow season five.
9. Wildcat
Wildcat is introduced briefly in season three of Arrow through the character of Ted “Wildcat” Grant (J.R. Ramirez). Wildcat could be re-incarnated through the character of Yolanda Montez. As a child, Yolanda manifests her superhuman powers, but is unaware that her mother was given experimental drugs during her pregnancy. In the comics, Yolanda grows close to her godfather, Ted Grant, who is the mysterious Wildcat. She later assumes the identity to honor Ted after he is crippled. As the second Wildcat, Yolanda joins Infinity Inc. and fights alongside them. She stays with the team until it’s disbanded.

This new introduction to the character would be a great way to re-introduce the Wildcat mantel. She could be trained by Ted and later help the Green Arrow fight crime in Star City. Plus, adding a strong, Latina to the core cast would further the diversity on Arrow.
7. Donna Smoak
Donna Smoak (Charlotte Ross) played a much larger role in Arrow season four, appearing in nine episodes. She was first introduced in season three during Felicity’s backstory centric episode “The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak.” From here, Donna Smoak charmed her way into the hearts of Arrow fans as she helps to define Felicity’s past. This past season, Donna earned her own storylines opposite Felicity’s father, Noah (Tom Amandes) and Quentin Lance (Paul Blackthorne). When season four ended, Donna and Quentin are seen driving into the sunset leaving Star City behind, for now.

Although Ross told us that there is no current plan to bring Donna back for season five, she hopes she can continue with the character. Ross says, “On a personal level, I’m definitely not ready to walk away from this character and particularly, everyone in the cast and crew that I love so much as they have truly become my family so…time will tell…” Donna and Quentin’s relationship is a great addition to Arrow and Ross’ work opposite Rickards continues to be perfect. Here’s hoping more “SmoaknLance” and Smoak Ladies storylines come our way in season five.
3. Lyla Michaels
Lyla Michaels (Audrey Marie Anderson) was first introduced to Arrow in season one as an old friend of John Diggle (David Ramsey). Throughout Arrow, Lyla appears as an agent of A.R.G.U.S working under Amanda Waller. Diggle and Lyla eventually rekindle their relationship and get married following the birth of their daughter, Sara. In season four of Arrow, Amanda Waller is shockingly killed by the organization Shadowspire, which makes Lyla the new head of A.R.G.U.S.

In the comics, Lyla Michaels assumes the identity “Harbinger” after entering a womb-like chamber, which energized her and allows her to create a series of doppelgängers. The doppelgängers recruit a wide variety of heroes and villains to fight the Anti-Monitor’s shadow demons and protect a series of vibration towers that are designed to protect Earth 1 and Earth 2 from the wave of Anti-Matter destroying the DC Multiverse.

While seeing Lyla turn into Harbinger would be awesome, the Lyla Michaels from Arrow is what we want to see more of. Lyla running A.R.G.U.S, helping Team Arrow, and being a loving mother and wife is something we constantly crave more of. Her stories are often overlooked for more extravagant storylines, but when she comes on screen she is a force to be reckoned with.

10. Arrowette
9. Wildcat
8. Misfit
7. Donna Smoak
6. Vixen
5. Lady Shiva
4. The Huntress
3. Lyla Michaels
2. Artemis
1. Nyssa al Ghul

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Funny thing is,  I agree with some of Stauffer's points, but I strongly disagree with the premise he makes to get there. And this is the latest  in a series of articles where he seems to have gone with the tide, so he can keep going, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by looptab
The board doubled my paragraph for some reason.
  • Love 1

I tend to think every time someone says "O/F has taken over the show" it means they're unable to actively engage with other things on the show. Flashbacks are boring, the entire LOA thing in S3 was a drag, Crazy Eyes was about as interesting as a leg cramp, the Baby Mama Drama was a shitpile of stinky poo, etc.

• Love 17
(edited)

I do think there's truth in that. But I also think that, as far as I remember, he never once hinted in his reviews that he felt like O/F had taken over the show. Mind you, he wasn't pro-Oicity a la Jenny Raftery, but he seemed somewhat neutral. So this change of tune now seems rather a "Oh, look, seems like there are quite a lot of fans that are against it. Let me stand in the middle". Of course I haven't read his reviews in a while so this is all from memory, and I could be wrong. I intend to check on it, though, haha.

Edited by looptab
(edited)

Oh yeah, the abrupt change of tune reeks of wanting to drive extra traffic onto his pieces.

Or it could be worse, and this is one of those bros who crave validation from other men to feel like what they're talking about is relevant. If there's one thing Craig's garbage fire piece made clear is that he's TERRIFIED that young women with loud online presence might have more influence than he does.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 7
(edited)

I got a good laugh out of reading this article, especially the bolded portions quoted below (but ymmv)...

‘ARROW’ SEASON 5 PREDICTIONS: SHOW SUFFERS WITHOUT BLACK CANARY? CURTIS HOLT TO BECOME HERO
BY IRVYN JONATHAN DIAZ   JUL 7, 2016
http://www.hofmag.com/arrow-season-5-predictions-show-suffers-without-black-canary-curtis-holt-become-hero/166850

However, one main issue of the series still grips at fans and will possibly continue. With Black Canary dead, this removes almost all possibility for her and Green Arrow’s relationship.

From its source material, Oliver Queen and Laurel Lance make for one of DC’s power couple Furthermore, the two have always been partners since the 1960s even until the recent Rebirth reboot.

Just like Cyclops to Jean Grey, Green Arrow and Black Canary represent one of the strongest relationships in comic history. In addition, the pair keep a stable relationship among the often gritty superhero relationships.

There is also a big difference to how Felicity and Laura handle Oliver. Felicity is more patient and understanding. However, Laura knows how to react to his problems thus acting as his motivator.

On the other hand, Oliver does need someone to watch over him. Felicity contrasts the dark atmosphere of the series with her comedy and bright appearance. Even so, it did not keep their relationship stable.

Edited by tv echo