Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Wow, anon, really. Well I do (read: used to) read comics and you sure as hell don't speak for anyone I know who is a comics fan.

I mean, honestly: "Ollie always comes back to her." Well no the fuck he doesn't because he's never the one ending their relationship. That's all Dinah. And even then, Dinah doesn't return to Ollie the whole two times that she did with the understanding that Ollie is going to go out and cheat but still really loves Dinah. No she makes him grow up and has no qualms about ending it if he screws up again.

• Love 2

Another reason why she's one of the better directors.  I like Arrow best when there's a balance of emotion and action.

It's worthwhile to watch the whole interview for lines like Patton Oswald telling her the comic book fandom doesn't care if a sock puppet is the director as long as the story is treated right.

Another reason why she's one of the better directors.  I like Arrow best when there's a balance of emotion and action.

It's worthwhile to watch the whole interview for lines like Patton Oswald telling her the comic book fandom doesn't care if a sock puppet is the director as long as the story is treated right.

• Love 1

In this CinemaBlend article, Laura Hurley discusses the surprise death in 411 and what it could mean for the other characters (warning: mentions spoiler regarding future Flash crossover)...

Arrow Just Delivered A Shocking Moment That Could Change Everything
BY LAURA HURLEY  10 HOURS AGO
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Arrow-Just-Delivered-Shocking-Moment-Could-Change-Everything-114307.html

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

In this CinemaBlend article, Laura Hurley discusses the surprise death in 411 and what it could mean for the other characters (warning: mentions spoiler regarding future Flash crossover)...

Arrow Just Delivered A Shocking Moment That Could Change Everything

BY LAURA HURLEY  10 HOURS AGO

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Arrow-Just-Delivered-Shocking-Moment-Could-Change-Everything-114307.html

She brings up really interesting points. I haven't really thought about it beyond Lyla possibly taking charge and the spoilery thing about The Flash 2x14 that she mentions. I've always thought that Waller was too myopic and Lyla would probably both excel at and like the job were it not for Waller's shaky morals. As a viewer I was always more troubled about her shaky logics.

But A.R.G.U.S. as a reliable ally to TGA and an asset to the Legends are very valid and thought provoking points.

This is the AV Club review of 411 (gave it a B+) that's quoted by benteen on page 2 of the A.W.O.L. episode discussion thread...

Arrow has Felicity consider her new life ... and her old one
By Alasdair Wilkins Jan 27, 2016  8:00 PM
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/arrow-has-felicity-consider-her-new-life-and-her-o-231396

This is a damn good John Diggle episode...

... It’s tricky for Arrow to sell us on Felicity’s growth from her past when we’ve only seen her (relatively) dark side in one flashback episode and when the Felicity we first met really isn’t that different from the one we know now. Wisely, the show doesn’t oversell the temptation the hallucinatory Felicity represents, instead using it primarily as a way to indicate the real Felicity’s temporary distraction and doubt before pulling out a seriously awesome bit of ARGUS hacking to reveal Felicity is once again fully onboard.
Sometimes it’s Arrow’s own sibling shows that produce the weirdness. Consider Oliver and Laurel’s interaction during their training scene. The exchange starts off well, positioning Laurel in the kind of supporting role that serves her best, specifically here as the empathetic confidante who gets Oliver because she has some distance from their former love. It feels natural for Laurel to offer advice as the only other person still in Oliver’s life who has dated him, and Katie Cassidy is best equipped to deliver this kind of material. But then, because Arrow—never a grounded, realistic drama, admittedly—has to acknowledge its place in the heightened universe The Flash has created. Oliver explains he’s brooding not just over his immediate responsibility for antagonizing Damien Darhk and indirectly triggering the attack that has left Felicity paralyzed—a reasonable thing to feel, even if Oliver is once again being way too hard on himself—but also over how Barry time-traveled last month and how maybe Felicity’s devastating injury is the timeline trying to reassert itself. I have no idea how Laurel ought to react to a statement like that, and Cassidy doesn’t appear to have much idea either, as Laurel just looks kind of vacantly dumbfounded. Which, honestly, I’m not going to blame her for, as the scene as written isn’t really playable any other way. Acknowledging the larger, crazier reality comes perilously close to derailing the entire scene.
... And, in the episode’s closing scene between Oliver and Felicity, Arrow comes up with a seriously clever move by having its characters acknowledge the reality of living in a comic book universe: There’s no real reason for Felicity to stay in the wheelchair forever unless the writers want her to. Oliver’s monologue signals Felicity’s injury will likely be the status quo for a little while—I’d guess until the end of the season, give or take, but I’m very prepared to be wildly wrong—but he also recognizes that there’s more than enough magic in this world to think that a miracle could someday happen. It might be dangerous to hope for that miracle, but it’s worth searching for. Moments like those are unique to Arrow to, and a good reminder of why even the show’s tricky position as part of much larger universe—both fictional and corporate—can lead to damn fine moments just as readily as they can to moments of weirdness. It’s a fair trade, all things considered.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Vulture's mixed review of 411...

Arrow Recap: Oh, Brother
By Jenny Raftery  January 27, 2016 9:00 p.m.
http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/arrow-recap-season-4-episode-11.html

A.W.O.L." is the most frustrating kind of Arrow episode. After a perfectly take-it-or-leave-it hour of television, we're left with the potential for so much more. The larger plot points (a meaty Diggle story line, the return of Goth Felicity, and lots o' Lyla) hold great appeal, but, as executed, those arcs never quite deliver or satisfy.
So Diggle's story is less about Diggle than it is about Andy's connection with Shadowspire. This is thorny for a number of reasons: First, Arrow really doesn't need to further complicate the criminal landscape in Star City. There's already one organized criminal element that dresses in black and attacks people — H.I.V.E. and its "ghosts." (Indeed, it's difficult to discern any sartorial difference between a ghost and a member of Shadowspire, save for the latter's small red insignia.) Second, there's been no buildup to Shadowspire until "A.W.O.L.," so the actors have to cram in a bunch of expository dialogue. David Paul Ramsey does his best with the material, but it's unsatisfying to listen to Diggle wax on about "freeports" and "commodities."
Left alone in the loft, Felicity pops a few extra pain pills and starts to hallucinate visions of the goth "hacktivist" Felicity from season three's "The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak." Goth Felicity proceeds to harass Felicity about her choice to play superhero. The hallucination scenes are pretty impressive, technically speaking, but ultimately fall a bit flat. It's through no fault of Emily Bett Rickards, who pulls off both versions impressively. (Orphan Black spinoff, anyone?) I'm just not quite sure what this adds to Felicity's story. Goth Felicity's taunts — mostly centered on Felicity's choice to give up her hacktivist identity to join the superhero world — felt random and directionless. "Do you have anything the least bit interesting to say to me besides those jabs you keep making?" Felicity asks Goth Felicity. I'm not sure she does.

Also, since when has Felicity doubted the superhero life? The fact that this identity-crisis plot is neatly tied up at the end of "A.W.O.L." only serves to show how this whole arc feels like Felicity filler. And there's really no excuse for Felicity filler, what with everything she has going on this season. (She's the CEO of a large corporation who just lost the use of her legs, damn it!) As much as I love Goth Felicity, it would have made more sense for Felicity to hallucinate visions of Darhk. Perhaps Arrow could have explored some kind of PTSD plot. Or, instead of a hallucination scene, how about a meaningful moment with her mother about her paralysis?
-Whatever my issues with the story, I thought all of the actors gave great performances.
-Good news: Felicity finally gets a code name, Overwatch. Bad news: Oliver will no longer sexy-whisper "Fe-li-city" over the comms.
-Laurel finally learns a secret before others. Don't screw it up, Laurel!

Edited by tv echo

Color me shocked - Forbes reviewer Erik Kain raved about Felicity and EBR's acting in 411...

'Arrow' Season 4, Episode 11 Review: A.W.O.L.
Erik Kain JAN 28, 2016 @ 12:45 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/01/28/arrow-season-4-episode-11-review-a-w-o-l/#3c0f34926b15

But by far the best part of “A.W.O.L.” was Felicity Smoak, who battles through her self-pity and paralysis—both physical and emotional—to once again become the badass we know and love. To do this she has to fight some inner demons Dexter-style, and actress Emily Bett Rickards does a terrific job having conversations with herself, as both the old hacker Felicity and the new superhero Felicity.

And she’s really a superhero now in her own right. Oliver bequeaths the superhero nickname Overwatch on her, which is pretty cool. “I was gonna go with Oracle, but it’s already taken,” he mutters, hilariously. (I have speculated that Felicity could become Oracle, but could never square that with the impossibility of bringing in that particular DC character given the complicated thicket of TV broadcasting rights and the Batman IP.)

In any case, hooray for Felicity coming through for Team Arrow and for Rickards for doing such a fantastic job. By far the highlight of the episode.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Den of Geek review of 411 (loved Diggle story but didn't like Felicity hallucination, rated episode 3.5 out of 5 stars)...

Arrow: A.W.O.L. Review
Kayti Burt  1/27/2016 at 10:17PM
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/arrow/252380/arrow-awol-review

If Felicity is the unwavering heart of Team Arrow, then Diggle is the steadfast moral compass. It might be annoying how good and right he is all of the time, if he wasn't so rare in the Arrow world to have a character who sees himself, his family and friends, and his place in the world so clearly. (Though, how great was it that pretty much every character called Oliver on his tendency to blame himself for things outside of his control?)
I can see what Arrow was trying to do here, and the end result of having Felicity let go of her past and her anger over her injury still managed to be a therapeutic one, but the Felicity Hallucination Storyline was both silly and rushed in its execution. As resilient as Felicity is, having her seemingly deal with the transition into her new life over the course of an episode felt cheap. (Even if Oliver, who is back in Best Boyfriend Mode, has vowed to scour the multiverse for a way to reverse Felicity's paralysis. And that dude's determined — you know he will probably manage it.)

Regardless of how you feel about Goth Felicity (personally, I thought she seemed principled, cool, and desperate to save the world in last season's flashback), she is a character-version we don't really know. Therefore, her appearance as a contrast to present-day Felicity didn't really work. And it's tough to cut this weird hallucination storyline some slack based on intent when we're talking about a show that has flashbacks, for better or worse, built into its very structure.
Though the Felicity Hallucination Storyline was trying, it resulted in Felicity vowing Team Arrow would find Darhk "not out of anger or regret or vengeance. We're going to stop him because that's what we do." Felicity basically just solved the central thematic tension of this show. Are you taking notes, Oliver?

Who am I kidding? John Diggle is the one really paying attention to Felicity's rambles. Exhibit A: "I have a friend who's into this kind of stuff. Occasionally, I listen to her." Petition to give the Diggle/Felicity dynamic more screen time? I know, I'm a demanding viewer, but I do it because I love you, Arrow.

Collider review of 411 (rated it 3 stars GOOD)...

'Arrow’ Recap: “A.W.O.L.” – Welcome to the Diggle Show!
BY DAVE TRUMBORE      11 HOURS AGO
http://collider.com/arrow-recap-awol/

I’m going to save the flashback sequences for the end of this recap since the episode’s major plot punch comes in the final moments, but I’d just like to point out that Andy Diggle (Eugene Byrd) has been a member of the U.S. military, Shadowspire, and the Ghosts. This makes him one of the most implausibly dangerous veteran henchmen in the history of Arrow. I do like that the writers are giving the extended Diggle family a little more meat to chew on this season but I’m just not feeling the relationship between perennial good guy John and the consistently dirty-dealing screw-up Andy....
... Oliver Queen is spending time with a wheelchair-bound Felicity. Their relationship aside, which is as sweet as it ever was, the strange side-plot between a hallucinating Felicity (drug-assisted or not) and her former Goth hacker self was downright bizarre. Each and every episode in which Felicity undergoes a crisis of confidence during a mission only to regain it by the hour’s end is getting thinner and thinner regarding the moment that incited her mental breakdown. This time, it’s not just Felicity’s physical condition that’s affecting her state of mind, it’s her spiritual state as well. The arrival of Goth Felicity as a figment of her imagination could have been more interesting if there was something supernatural going on, but instead, it only seemed to be a temporary hurdle which Felicity quickly overcomes after an unearned struggle with her belief in her ability to contribute to the team in a worthwhile manner. Sure, she gets Oliver temporarily locked in a cargo container along the way, but in the end, she plays a key role in helping Team Arrow secure its mission and earns the codename Overwatch.

I always saw Goth Felicity as Felicity trying to be someone different than her mom. I think IT Felicity might have been a mask or really a shield but felicity has slowly shown her true self. A confident smart women who is proud of her skill and loves saving the word. 

• Love 8

Robert Dougherty's review of 411 (scored it 8/10, warning: a little spoilery)...

Arrow S4: E11 -- 'A.W.O.L.'
By Robert Dougherty January 28, 2016 08:56AM EST
http://www.themovienetwork.com/review/arrow-s4-e11-awol

A.W.O.L. is an episode that ultimately leans on a more hopeful outcome, on personal triumphs for Felicity, and on Oliver still being a pillar of strength when Felicity allows him to be. It is almost like a remake of episode 406 in that way, right down to Oliver doubting himself when his efforts to help Felicity through her identity crisis fail, getting helpful advice from someone in the Arrow cave in the meantime -- with Laurel actually filling the role instead of Diggle -- and having a final moment of reconnection with Felicity in their bed.

On that surface, things work absolutely beautifully, down to the obvious technical triumphs in the duel Felicitys, the purely creepy effect of goth Felicity and real Oliver speaking vastly different words all at once, the actual menace of goth Felicity in their final loft conversation, the real Felicity taking back her power on the job -- down to a new non-Oracle code name -- and Oliver seeing goth Felicity for himself before vowing that the crazy world they live in will have Felicity walking again as its next miracle.

All this is so well and good -- as long as one doesn't remember that it will probably mean nothing in a few weeks.
A.W.O.L. is an episode that goes back to what Arrow actually does best when plot, stupid storytelling demands and clutter doesn't get in the way. It doesn't even need to end in a dramatic cliffhanger, raises the possibility that the island flashbacks may have one actual point of interest soon, and survives a twist that is the show's second clear concession to Suicide Squad in less than a year.

• Love 2

Review: ‘Arrow’ Goes ‘A.W.O.L.’ With Diggle Drama and a Cute Codename for Felicity
Kevin Fitzpatrick | 11 hours ago
http://screencrush.com/arrow-awol-review/

Because these early 2016 episodes have so much competing for attention however, much of the Diggle family saga ended up a bit overshadowed by the aftermath of a paralyzed Felicity returning home, and slowly easing back into her duties helping the team by remote. Arrow isn’t the type to lean too heavily into a lifelong* adjustment like paraplegia, but it was nice to see at least some of the experience reflected in non-super moments, that for all her intact computer skills, the trauma still rattles her, and turns taken-for-granted tasks like a coffee run that much more complicated.

*There’s a lot to be said of Oliver this episode; the writing admirably keeping he and Felicity strong through such a trying ordeal (making their future angst all the more ominous), or the awkward shoehorn of Barry’s time-travel warning, but the closing Oliver and Felicity scene felt more than a little off. Lampshading paralysis in a world of such super-happenings was probably inevitable, but Oliver’s vow to find some deus-ex-machina treatment felt like a tremendous cheat to justify reversing her paralysis sometime this season.

What really struck out, however, was the return of “Goth Felicity” as some sort of taunting hallucination, particularly without any additional suggestion of having taken too much medication, or perhaps influence from Damien Darhk. Felicity is an incredible character to have built up over the last four years, more than worthy of exploring both a sense of identity as well as her recent trauma, and it isn’t as if she has thugs to toss around as part of the healing process, like her teammates.
Felicity’s hurdles are always cerebral, and I can also understand the gimmick value of Emily Bett Rickards dressing up to act opposite herself, but all the exchanges felt crazy awkward and on-the-nose in context. Worse, even, that we weren’t ultimately privy to her catharsis anyway, jumping straight into her return to the lair to trade inspiring speeches with Oliver.
- I don’t know what’s stranger, Oliver’s failure to notice Felicity flipping out at a hallucination just over his shoulder, or wordlessly walking away when she yells at it.
- You know they’re deliberately upping Laurel and Oliver scenes to build toward another romance, right?

ARROW: "A.W.O.L." REVIEW
BY JESSE SCHEDEEN   27 JAN 2016
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/28/arrow-awol-review

David Ramsey rarely fails to rise to the challenge when his character given a starring role on this show, and this week was no exception. His desperation was palpable as John battled against all odds to protect his family. The cold interaction between John and Waller was also a treat to watch. But in many ways this was really Eugene Byrd's week to shine...
Whatever the motivations for killing off Waller, there is intriguing new potential as far as Lyla's role on the show...
Felicity was the other main focus this week, as she recovered from her injuries and adjusted to life in a wheelchair. Naturally, the challenge was more psychological than physical. It's not easy to play the super-competent tech genius when you're still getting over be shot by a gang of terrorists. That psychological struggle manifested itself in the form of the ghost of Felicity's angry Goth hacker past returning to haunt her. That twist was a little too silly on the nose for my tastes. But if nothing else, it allowed Emily Bett Rickards to flex her acting chops and play two distinctly different versions of the same character. That's usually Stephen Amell's territory, but she rose to the challenge well enough. The scene where she broke down and starting shouting at her ghost while a befuddled Ollie looked on was one of the stronger moments of the evening.
Even more than in "The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak," it's hard to ignore just how much Goth Felicity seems to be modeled after Death from the Sandman comics. Between the black ensemble and the ankh pendant, she's one eye tattoo away from being cosplay-ready. I have to imagine this is an intentional homage. I half expected this episode to reveal that the Felicity ghost wasn't a figment of her painkiller-addled imagination, but actually Death herself come to impart some valuable life wisdom. Hey, if John Constantine can show up, why not the rest of DC's Vertigo universe?

As happy as I was to see Smoak, having DD hallucinations would have been cool. Mostly to see EBR and NM play off each other.

I understand people not loving the oddly visual internal therapy, but I really enjoyed it.

• Love 5

BuddyTV reviewer thought 411 was one of the best episodes of the season...

'Arrow' Recap: Felicity Confronts Her Past and Present
Wednesday, January 27, 2016  Derek Stauffer
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/arrow/arrow-recap-felicity-and-diggl-58670.aspx

After the recent history of Arrow, the show's promise at the beginning of season 4 for a lighter tone seems like a lie. Before "A.W.O.L." there would seem to be no way that Arrow could properly deal with Felicity's paralysis and still keep things fun. "A.W.O.L." in that specific respect did the impossible, it was a dark episode at times, but it was still rather uplifting.

Where Arrow would have wallowed in self pity in season 3, "A.W.O.L." respected the seriousness of Felicity's new condition and moved on with a hopeful attitude. The same goes for that episode's "main" plot of Lyla, Diggle and his brother Andy getting tied up again with ARGUS. "A.W.O.L." could have been one of Arrow's most depressing episodes but instead it was more of the series' most hopeful. For that reason it ended up being one of the best of the season, if not the entire series.
Back at Oliver and Felicity's apartment, Felicity is still struggling to come to terms with her wheelchair status. Since Felicity struggling in a wheelchair and looking anxious would be kind of boring (and distressing) to watch, Arrow decides to go a different route. Felicity's new meds give her hallucinations. Hallucinations that come in the form of Felicity's college, bitter Goth self-taunting her. Goth Felicity is not too impressed with her future self's life choices and think she has become a weak, pale imitation of herself.
Oliver goes home to comfort Felicity but Goth Felicity gets really annoying. Felicity is listening to both Oliver and Goth Felicity ramble on and screams for her hallucination to shut up. Felicity then asks for her goth self to leave her alone and Oliver (thinking both instructions are for him) leaves the apartment. (Don't you hate it when your past ghost self causes a miscommunication between you and your significant other?)
Later that night, Felicity officially says goodbye to her old self. She burns the photograph and accepts her place on the team. Oliver even gives an official codename, Overwatch. Oliver and Felicity both reflect on how much they've grown over the years and together. Oliver promises Felicity that he won't stop searching until he finds a way for her to walk again. It's a lovely scene and it reminds us all why they're a couple we want to be together and be happy. Now join me in being sad by reflecting on the knowledge that Arrow is probably going to break them up soon.

• Love 3

Seems like it got very mixed reviews. Some appreciated the hallucination, some hated it. And I do understand the POV of those who hated it, they had valuable criticism to offer. I did like it, myself, but as nice as it was, it really highlights how Felicity has no one except Oliver to talk to. Especially since they are holding back on Diggle/Felicity. Not that I necessarily think that he would be the go-to person for this kind of issue, but, she  literally has no one to talk to and let us know whatìs going on in her head, but herself.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 4

Seems like it got very mixed reviews. Some appreciated the hallucination, some hated it. And I do understand the POV of those who hated it, they had valuable criticism to offer. I did like it, myself, but as nice as it was, it really highlights how Felicity has no one except Oliver to talk to. Especially since they are holding back on Diggle/Felicity. Not that I necessarily think that he would be the go-to person for this kind of issue, but, she  literally has no one to talk to and let us know whatìs going on in her head, but herself.

This is where Diggle would have been perfect. He was in war. How many soldiers do you think he knows that lost a physical ability? I think he could have provided a fantastic shoulder to lean on.

• Love 2

This is where Diggle would have been perfect. He was in war. How many soldiers do you think he knows that lost a physical ability? I think he could have provided a fantastic shoulder to lean on.

ITA. I didn't mean to imply Diggle wouldn't have been the right person to talk to,  my complaints for the lack of Felicity/Diggle scenes and the lack of any person for her to talk to sort of came out together. :)

• Love 1

Really liked this write up

Oliver and Felicity's Relationship on Arrow Finally Makes Sense to Me

Rob Bricken

http://io9.gizmodo.com/oliver-and-felicitys-relationship-on-arrow-finally-make-1755716580?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Last night was a pretty action-packed episode of Arrow. Felicity rejoined the team after her horrific accident; she finally got her own superhero name; a major character died; and more. But all I can think about is how “AWOL” finally convinced me that Oliver and Felicity’s relationship works.

• Love 2

Really liked this write up

Oliver and Felicity's Relationship on Arrow Finally Makes Sense to Me

Rob Bricken

http://io9.gizmodo.com/oliver-and-felicitys-relationship-on-arrow-finally-make-1755716580?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I feel like that person hasn't been paying attention if she thought Felicity was just light and breezy and nothing else. The undercurrent of darkness has been there from at least the time she found out what Oliver was doing and signed on. People who are nothing but sunshine do not sign on to help vigilantes kill people (and she was fine with a good bit of the killing in S1, see, e.g., the slumlord guy).

• Love 2

I really liked this part

By personifying it in Gothlicity, her former persona, it becomes evident that Felicity has likely been dealing with depression for quite some time. Suddenly, Arrow’s sunniest character has an element of darkness she’s never had before, and that’s what has made Oliver and Felicity finally click for me. I had thought that they were too fundamentally different to emotionally connect, but if Felicity has been fighting her own demons while Ollie has fought his (and also supervillains) then she can empathize with his struggle like no other Arrow character can.

They used the same text in their tumblr post too.

I mean, taking into consideration the shady wording in the previous posts with the 411 trailer, I'm not crazy thinking there's some anti-Felicity sentiment going on with whoever runs their SM accounts?

They used the same text in their tumblr post too.

I mean, taking into consideration the shady wording in the previous posts with the 411 trailer, I'm not crazy thinking there's some anti-Felicity sentiment going on with whoever runs their SM accounts?

At least tumblrs tags tell a different story. Not the twitter account though

At least tumblrs tags tell a different story. Not the twitter account though

Apparently the CW_arrow account retweeted something saying that Felicity was a druggie? Who the hell do they have running that thing?

I should just stay away from official show-related things. They're ruining my nice post-episode warm fuzzies.

Edited by lemotomato

Fans are mocking the CW Arrow's tweet with the #FelicityExposed hashtag listing all the things that Felicity is "responsible" for causing. I've seen global warming and the earth being flat.  It's worth a look for a few giggles.

• Love 8

Haha. That trend is genius! I love that Felicity/Olicity fans turn something bad into something fun. 

No but seriously, who is running the CW account? Their bias against Felicity is starting to get old.

Edited by Guest

Three If By Space gave 411 a score of 9 out of 10...

Arrow 411 Review – “A.W.O.L.” Takes A Deep Look At Identity
By: Alisha Bjorklund January 28, 2016
http://www.threeifbyspace.net/2016/01/arrow-411-review-a-w-o-l-takes-a-deep-look-at-identity/#.VqtvQrIrLIU

... The great big cherry on top is her new, hallucinated companion. Introducing Felicity’s former self from college was a pretty fun twist, I think. Emily Bett Rickards did a great job arguing with herself, too. Most of the fun came from how snarky and witty the dialogue between them was.

We can’t talk about Felicity without also discussing her relationship with Oliver. The two of them are still very cute together, and this episode was another testament to their staying power as a couple...

Seeing Felicity overcome the power of her own negative psyche was enjoyable, as was Oliver’s support of her—especially toward the end when they shared that incredibly sweet and memorable scene. This season has, admirably, done a good job of realistically portraying their struggles as a couple. Or at least as realistically as they can for being part of a vigilante hero team. Felicity learned to embrace her current identity and not let her past control her. And as a bonus, Felicity now has a vigilante codename: Overwatch.

• Love 1

Film School Rejects' positive review of 411...

LAST NIGHT ON ARROW, FELICITY GOT HER GROOVE BACK
By Neil Miller January 28, 2016
http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/last-night-on-tv-january-28.php

In true Arrow form — which is to say that it rushed through a big chunk of story in a single episode — this week saw Felicity go from being completely helpless to back in the game. It’s not surprising. Even during Arrow‘s weaker seasons, when we couldn’t go 5-minutes without Oliver yelling “You failed this city!”, Emily Bett Rickards has always been the beating heart of this show. Oliver is the gruff, tortured vigilante; Diggle is the voice of reason; Laurel has become the idealist; and so on. But Felicity is the glue. So to have her out of commission, even though she was nearly swiss-cheesed in the midseason finale, would be a detriment to the show’s energy and momentum.
  • Love 1

Arrow Season 4: 12 Big Questions We’re Asking After ‘A.W.O.L.’
James Hunt   28 Jan 2016
http://whatculture.com/tv/arrow-season-4-12-big-questions-were-asking-after-a-w-o-l.php

... A.W.O.L., much like last week’s Blood Debts, is still a solid episode, but Arrow still isn’t fully back on track in 2016. The signs are that it’s getting there though.
However, the real strength of the episode isn’t Lyla and Diggle, but Felicity. Confined to a wheelchair and facing up to paralysis, she struggles to come to terms with things, helped (or not) by the reappearance of Goth Felicity to make some snarky remarks. Emily Bett Rickards has long been one of the best things about the show, but she’s really the MVP here.
This was a problem with Laurel last week as well, and this week it extends to Thea. They didn’t particularly fit with the storyline, and ultimately had very little to do. Neither character has had a great season overall, with Thea’s bloodlust storyline not being very captivating and Laurel just being unlikable, but there’s still potential for them both to be very important members of the show – it’s been shown in flashes this season and in previous years – but it’s definitely something the writers need to work on.
But really, Overwatch? I liked the nod to the fact that they can’t use the name Oracle, but surely that’s not exactly the best possible alternative?
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Arrow’ 4×11 Recap: ‘A.W.O.L.’
fangirlish   JANUARY 28, 2016
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-4x11-recap-a-w-o-l/

There are not enough words to say about how sensational Emily Bett Rickards did in this episode portraying not one, but two different versions of her character interacting with one another. Whether it was Emily tackling her character’s struggle with adjusting to this new life that she must accept or a version of her character five years prior or the two interacting with each other, Emily proved that she’s a superhero in her own right. Her acting was flawless as always and she managed to impress me beyond the sensational performances she’s given so far.
Arrow has proven time and time again that Oliver and Felicity are one of the greatest strengths of this show. But it’s not because things are always perfect. Because they’re not. It’s because Oliver and Felicity are two people that stick by each other when times are darkest. Their relationship has flourished because of the challenges they have faced and overcome, and it will continue to strengthen as they continue to overcome the obstacles in life. Together.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

411 reviews by jbuffyangel and JustAboutWrite...

MOVE FORWARD: AWOL 4X11 REVIEW
jbuffyangel   JANUARY 28, 2016 @ 07:03
http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/138212842803/move-forward-awol-4x11-review

Arrow 4x11 "A.W.O.L." (Without Intent to Desert)
Just About Write   6:48 PM
http://www.itsjustaboutwrite.com/2016/01/arrow-4x11-awol-without-intent-to-desert.html

MVP of this episode is, without question, Emily Bett Rickards. Just the fact that she played two separate versions of one character in this episode is enough to warrant that MVP status. But she managed to convey Felicity's journey so believably and tangibly that I felt like I was in the room with her the entire time. Rickards has never had to over-sell Felicity's emotions. The subtle gestures, facial expressions, and quiet lines always are more powerful than any big dramatic monologue could be. The speech that Felicity delivered to Oliver was absolutely perfect and so gently delivered that it made me coo. But the best moment by far was the warring voices inside of her head and the moment Felicity snapped. You could feel that tension subtly bubbling and building throughout most of the episode and it was so well-executed by Rickards. Brava, lady. Brava.
  • Love 1

The usually very negative Randy Dankievitch thought that 411 was the best episode of the season (there must be something in the water this week because critics who usually dump on Arrow are being positive! and some vice versa) - I especially love the last line quoted below...

Arrow, Ep. 4.11: “A.W.O.L.” gets back to the good stuff
Randy Dankievitch  January 28, 2016
http://www.popoptiq.com/arrow-awol-review/

With no sight of Damien Darhk or The Island to be had in “A.W.O.L.”, it’s no surprise Arrow felt like it was getting back to basics a bit, pausing the larger, more ridiculous stories for something a little more focused, and intimate. With those elements neatly in place, “A.W.O.L.” (which I like to think stands for “Amanda Waller Out of Life” here) is able to deliver a high stakes, action-packed third act, and Arrow‘s best episode of the season in the process.
Felicity is naturally the highlight of the episode; for the first time in a long time, this is a Felicity story that’s explicitly about Felicity – something we haven’t had in a really long time, considering the last two seasons have re-positioned her as a romantic interest (both for Oliver and Ray Palmer, lest we forget), and that’s just fucking rad. Watching her come to terms with her decision to live the superhero life, and accept whatever tangential responsibility she may have had for putting herself in a position of danger, is some of the most powerful material Arrow‘s had to offer in awhile. For once, it’s not a death that inspires or illuminates someone (ok, it’s close, but it’s not!), and that alone makes the beats of Felicity’s story feel refreshing; and it allows the show to reflect briefly on how ridiculous the whole “angry hacker in love” backstory she was saddled with, before burning it down and moving on to the debut of OverWatch – which yeah, is a lame name, but whatever… it’s good to have Felicity back, reasserting her strength as a character by quickly dismissing the trauma in her life (if it was Ollie or Laurel, it would be a running story for half a fucking season… so who’s the real hero?).
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

The more reviews I read, the more I am conflicted about this wheelchair arc. While on the one hand I really liked that Felicity was able to pick herself up, OTOH I'd be disappointed if that's the last we hear of her struggles until a magical cure pops up.

• Love 2

411 review by 4YourExcitement (a U.K.-based news site)...

ARROW’S “A.W.O.L.” FINDS THE TEAM ADJUSTING TO THE NEW NORMAL
Verena Cote | January 28, 2016
http://www.4ye.co.uk/2016/01/arrows-a-w-o-l-finds-the-team-adjusting-to-the-new-normal/

This week’s Arrow episode, titled “A.W.O.L.” is the best example of why it really pays off to take a moment to focus on one’s core characters instead of blindly chasing down the next big bad. Arrow is at its strongest when it offers a glimpse at the mindset of our favorites. While we did find a villain-of-the-week in Shadowspire, the episode really centered on the Diggle family dynamic and Felicity’s recovery.
The highlight of the episode was most definitely the showdown between present Felicity and her own past self. The past version of Felicity is certainly not the nice, bubbly blonde we fell in love with four years ago, quite the opposite. Goth Felicity, or rather the hallucinations caused by Felicity’s medication, is the embodiment of all her insecurities. Felicity’s initial reaction to her new situation may have been a calm one but this episode reveals that she does struggle with the loss of agency. She starts doubting her own strength, her place in the team and even her own identity. What we can’t help but admire about Felicity is that she overcomes her insecurities herself. The team has her back but she does not define herself just through her part in the team. Being able to support them gives her purpose, but it is her own strength that moves her. This week is a testament to how important Felicity has become to the show and Emily Bett Rickards took the character – both versions of it – to a whole new level, which definitely earned her the spot of this episode’s MVP.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

This reviewer actually enjoyed 411, but criticized the lack of realism (only quoted parts relevant to Arrow) - um, these are superhero shows with metahumans...

PLOT HOLES ARE RUINING ‘THE FLASH’ AND ‘ARROW’
BY JEN STAYROOK  January 28, 2016
http://www.theworkprint.com/plot-holes-are-ruining-the-flash-arrow/123

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Team Arrow has been far to smart this season. More specifically, the show has relied too heavily on Felicity Smoak to do any and everything for the group of vigilantes, including controlling construction equipment wirelessly. I don’t doubt that Felicity is one of the best hackers in their universe, but at some point it has to stop. In MOMENTS, she is able to break into A.R.G.U.S.’s secured facility and unlock doors and computer files at will. The group of villains had to steal a dead agent’s eyeball to gain access. If breaking into A.R.G.U.S. was so easy, then why didn’t she just access all of Waller’s files on Shadowspire beforehand? Why haven’t they used this skill to learn all they can about Damien Darhk?

Or maybe it’s just Felicity who is too smart because Team Arrow chose to ignore valuable information for the sake of tension in the story. Andy Diggle straight up told the crew that the rail guns were a diversion for something bigger, something more dangerous, but because Oliver and Co. “know better”, they still put all their eggs in the “protect the rail guns” basket. And that decision led to the death of Amanda Waller.

Also, can we discuss how ridiculous it was that the leader of Shadowspire gave both Amanda Waller and Lyla 20 minutes each to decide whether or not they were going to give him the access codes to Rubicon? He didn’t give them TO access the codes; he gave them 20 minutes to LET Team Arrow come save them. That’s almost worse than the cliche villain monologue explaining every detail of his plan for evil to stomp out good.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow has proven time and time again that Oliver and Felicity are one of the greatest strengths of this show. But it’s not because things are always perfect. Because they’re not. It’s because Oliver and Felicity are two people that stick by each other when times are darkest. Their relationship has flourished because of the challenges they have faced and overcome, and it will continue to strengthen as they continue to overcome the obstacles in life. Together.

I wonder if the fangirlish reviewer missed the no-engagement ring thing.

• Love 1

Emertainment Monthly's usual rave review of an Arrow episode (but, as above-posted media articles attest, she's not alone in calling EBR/Felicity the MVP of 411)...

Arrow’ Review: “A.W.O.L”
January 29, 2016 Nora Dominick ‘17/
http://emertainmentmonthly.com/2016/01/29/arrow-review-a-w-o-l/

... Felicity Smoak continues to take center stage and tug at fans heartstrings one emotional speech at a time. Arrow began this week with fans watching as Oliver (Stephen Amell) carries Felicity down the stairs of their apartment. A broken Felicity tries to remain optimistic, but deep down Oliver and fans know that she’s hurting. Rickards and Amell deliver some amazing performances this week as they begin the journey of dealing with Felicity’s life-altering injury. Even in times of trouble, the adorableness surrounding Felicity and Oliver is through the roof. Roles appear to be reversed as Oliver remains the optimistic one for most of the episode while Felicity is cracking under the pressure. Rickards continues to astound this week as she brings another side to her character. In one of Felicity’s toughest storylines to date, Rickards comes out as MVP and further proves her incredible acting abilities. With Team Arrow on the hunt for Shadowspire and Felicity not there to help, this leads fans into one of the best portions of this week’s Arrow episode.
One Emily Bett Rickards a week is already amazing, but this week fans got a double dose of Ms. Rickards when Felicity begins to hallucinate her younger self. That’s right Arrow fans, Goth Felicity is back and this time she’s got quite the bite... Rickards is a force to be reckoned with this week as she plays two sides to Felicity. Her acting has grown above and beyond expectation and these scenes push her acting limits to new and exciting heights. “You used to be me. Strong. Confident. Brunette. But you wasted all that away to go play superhero and look where that got you.” Seeing Felicity battle Goth Felicity is enough to make any fan sit on the edge of their seat in anticipation. Rickards triumphs as she plays two sides to the same coin effortlessly and there’s no doubt why she is one of the best actresses on Arrow to date.
... Rickards and Amell do a wonderful job of playing the happier side to the Oliver/Felicity relationship, however these devastating moments are where the duo always shine. Once again, Rickards delivers her lines with such devastation that fans are instantly sucked into her world. As Felicity rattles off the things she can’t do anymore, fans everywhere feel the heartbreak and tears just behind her eyes. Rickards has the natural ability to tug at fans heartstrings with a single word or phrase and it’s one of the many reasons Felicity’s character has skyrocketed in popularity. With Oliver desperately searching for a way to connect with Felicity once again, Goth Felicity appears at the most inopportune moment. In a heartbreaking scene, Oliver tries to give Felicity a rousing speech, but all she can concentrate on is her hallucination. In the end, Felicity screams “Shut Up!” and “Can I just be alone for a little while?” and with that Oliver sulks away thus crushing every fan’s heart.