Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

On 16/06/2016 at 8:09 PM, SmallScreenDiva said:

Really? Would you mind sharing the titles of these fics? Unless they're LOT-related :P

I'd have to go have a long look because they were all post season 3 during the hiatus.

For a long one I recommend - "I took a wrong turn somewhere (somehow I ended up right)" by Lady Chi http://archiveofourown.org/works/1107700/chapters/2229001

It's an oldie, although I just found it, but a goodie I thought. It's technically on hiatus but has a complete chapter count of 25/25.

It is AU but does still take place in the Arrow World as a s1 rewrite. It does have O/F twins, however they are a little over 4 yrs old, adorable and do not distract or take up too much space. I thought it was the a beautiful blend of AU & Arrow, and felt realistic. I loved this OQ and FS. I did not feel the characters were OOC. But I did find Moira's character a little harsher & cruel than I imagine her. It believe it was written before Donna existed so we do have a different Mom Smoak, though I like her. Bonus though there is Walter.

• Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, kismet said:

For a long one I recommend - "I took a wrong turn somewhere (somehow I ended up right)" by Lady Chi http://archiveofourown.org/works/1107700/chapters/2229001

It's an oldie, although I just found it, but a goodie I thought. It's technically on hiatus but has a complete chapter count of 25/25.

Just a caution to anyone who might pick this up - it doesn't really end in a very satisfying place, and I doubt the author will ever complete it. It's not a cliffie or anything, but not even remotely finished. What there is of it is cute, though.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

Just a caution to anyone who might pick this up - it doesn't really end in a very satisfying place, and I doubt the author will ever complete it. It's not a cliffie or anything, but not even remotely finished. What there is of it is cute, though.

True, that's why I was sure to mention that it was on hiatus. And it hasn't been update since I think 2014, so the chances of it coming back are rare. I do feel like it does have a lot of dangling threads. But it also left off in a place that does not leave me questioning what's going to happen so for me I'm satisfied with where it ends. I of course want more... but it's not like the many WIPs that are leaving me hanging on major plot or character details. Perhaps knowing it was on Hiatus before I read it made me more willing to accept the ending as presented. I wasn't expecting closure, however, I'm grateful we did not get a cliffhanger ending.

(edited)
13 minutes ago, kismet said:

True, that's why I was sure to mention that it was on hiatus. And it hasn't been update since I think 2014, so the chances of it coming back are rare. I do feel like it does have a lot of dangling threads. But it also left off in a place that does not leave me questioning what's going to happen so for me I'm satisfied with where it ends. I of course want more... but it's not like the many WIPs that are leaving me hanging on major plot or character details. Perhaps knowing it was on Hiatus before I read it made me more willing to accept the ending as presented. I wasn't expecting closure, however, I'm grateful we did not get a cliffhanger ending.

My comment was only a word of warning for people who might pick it up because it was marked complete and thinking it had been completed satisfactorily (which IMO it was not), or might pick it up in hopes that it might be completed someday, when I don't think there's any chance of that - the author has already started posting another story and got pretty upset when someone asked her if she was ever going to finish this one.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2
(edited)
On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 9:31 AM, arjumand said:

In fact, I wish they wouldn't go there at all - that the tattoo (and the terrible Russian)  is just something Oliver got in a Russian prison when he was stuck there with Anatoly, as camouflage. I mean, it's not like the Constantine tattoo ended up meaning anything at all.

Don't worry, if S4 flashbacks are any indication, it'll be exactly something like that. It's not like they've managed to tell a decent story about any of his other scars lately. I fully anticipate the tattoo and his rank being entirely unearned. 

19 hours ago, wonderwall said:

I'd suggest reading all of Jules_Ink's stuff!

Funny, before I even knew about this conversation, I was coming here to recommend her latest (?) WIP, A Woman's Guide to Vigilantism. I'd been skipping it, ignoring who the author was, because other gender bent fics haven't really pulled it off IMO. I'm only 3 chapters in, but I'm having a heck of a good time, especially imagining Stephen Amell as this slightly out of shape, nerdy, Captain America T-shirt- wearing Oliver.

For length, you can't beat ChronicOlicity's awesome things and Lademonessa's piece de resistance, Still Waters and Quiet Men, which is like a billion words of anti-Oliver crack fic, and yet if she were still publishing I'd be reading.

For quality, go back and read all of MachaSWicket's fics. (I actually just read a Firefly fic she wrote that was pretty fantastic.)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5369132/chapters/12400163

^I forgot to add the link to AWGV and can't paste it above for some reason.

Edited by Ang
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

My comment was only a word of warning for people who might pick it up because it was marked complete and thinking it had been completed satisfactorily (which IMO it was not), or might pick it up in hopes that it might be completed someday, when I don't think there's any chance of that - the author has already started posting another story and got pretty upset when someone asked her if she was ever going to finish this one.

No I understood your point. I was just giving people an alternative view that it could have a satisfactory ending if you read it knowing it was on permanent hiatus. She puts on hiatus in all caps, so she gives you fair warning what she wrote is what you get.

Macha is writing a Arrow/Zombie Apocalypse story for OFBB, and I am SO READY for it!

For those of you looking for new Olicity fic, be sure to check out OlicityNFLU on Tumblr.  Their goal is to drum up comments for forgotten fic.  I know many of us tend to look for fic by recency or what has MORE comments or kudos, but there are some legitimately good stories out there with little to no comments.  According to the site, apparently over 3,000 Olicity fics have less than 10 comments. :(  So it's a challenge to read and comment to more fics and promote them if you find a good one.  Alternatively, you can just follow the site or tag and read and comment to the ones that others have found.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Thundercatmary said:

what is OFBB?

Olicity Fic Big Bang:

What’s a Fic Bang?

Taking the definition from Fanlore.org:

A Big Bang is a specific type of challenge usually involving long fics and accompanying artwork. This type of challenge is a reprise of the old zine tradition of collaboration between artists and writers for internet fandoms.

Most Big Bangs have a similar format: Writers sign up and begin writing stories. When the early drafts of the stories are available, each one is assigned one or more artists, or artists might claim stories from posted summaries. Artists create fanart to go along with the story. This art can take the form of illustrations, manips, photo collages, vids, icon sets, etc.

There's more info on the tumblr page for it if you want. 

• Love 1
On 6/18/2016 at 10:07 PM, Angel12d said:

I've been reading Oliver on Vacation. It's AU and kinda OOC to the point where they're not really O/F, they just have the same names, IMO, but I'm enjoying it. Plus it's long. 

So I just read this fic and it really is OOC but the story is definitely worth the read regardless! I think it might be included in my favorites list :) Definitely appreciated how the writer thought this entire fic out. I loved how she tackled Oliver and Felicity's emotional issues and it was just such a well planned fic. I don't think there was a plot hole nor was there any thread untied.

I read this author's first fic and her writing in this one is a marked improvement. It's quite awesome to see :)

On 6/19/2016 at 5:47 PM, Ang said:

For length, you can't beat ChronicOlicity's awesome things and Lademonessa's piece de resistance, Still Waters and Quiet Men, which is like a billion words of anti-Oliver crack fic, and yet if she were still publishing I'd be reading.

That was one of the first O/F fics I read. I think she's a good writer, kind of, but holy shit does she ever need an editor. Page after page after page of like fashion stuff. And ERRYBODY falls in love with Felicity, which is a total pet peeve of mine. Pretty much everybody not related to her fell in love with her.

But the tangents, my GOD the tangents. Two pages of stuff happening and, no lie, like ten about fashion or whatever else bonkers stuff.

• Love 3

I never read any of her fics, but I came across her comments under that fic where Felicity was a prostitute and at one point Sara went nuts - sorry I can't remember the title - and at times they were longer than the chapter, haha. 

6 hours ago, AyChihuahua said:

If that's the one with the weirdo scientists, there was an awful lot of Felicity blaming herself for the breakup in the last chapter or two.

She said

Spoiler

she was wrong to shutdown any chance of reconciliation and saying that Oliver couldn't change IIRC

and that doesn't bother me. Because I agree to an extent. YMMV

(edited)

I liked that one. One of the only Olicity fics I've ever read.  It's definitely different, but if if you can get past the fantasy element, I thought it was a fun AU.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Genki said:

She said

Hide contents

she was wrong to shutdown any chance of reconciliation and saying that Oliver couldn't change IIRC

and that doesn't bother me. Because I agree to an extent. YMMV

I think it was a bit more involved than that, and went on for awhile. 

As an aside, for me I've always known he can change, bc in many ways he has. But just because he CAN doesn't mean, on this particular topic, he WILL, or that she should wait around while he does it. She had every reason in the world to think he'd learned not to lie to her and shut her out in S3. It's frustrating to me as a viewer, so I imagine it'd be incredibly, unbearably, frustrating to her. I really, really, really need the show never ever ever ever to go to that well again, because I think that, even more than one of them getting a temp/fakeout LI (which I think is fairly likely to happen), would be my breaking point.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, AyChihuahua said:

That was one of the first O/F fics I read. I think she's a good writer, kind of, but holy shit does she ever need an editor. Page after page after page of like fashion stuff. And ERRYBODY falls in love with Felicity, which is a total pet peeve of mine. Pretty much everybody not related to her fell in love with her.

But the tangents, my GOD the tangents. Two pages of stuff happening and, no lie, like ten about fashion or whatever else bonkers stuff.

She's a good writer but with this story (that is Still waters and quiet men) I actually understood I had masochistic tendencies. Ugh, because I read the 60 chapters.  I couldn't stop reading even though I hated the story. Aside from the fact that Felicity was completely OOC, and fashion x ad nauseam, I hated the limbo between Felicity & Oliver and  Felicity & Bruce. On the latter I was super squeaked out by this relationship  though (YMMV). And I was serious fed up with the 567888 I love you both blah blah blah regarding both Bruce and Oliver and the 679755 new characters. Woah. God. I was exhausted at the end and not in a good way.

On a positive note, I did like the mystery of the flashbacks/ memories (at first) and how what happened was slowly distilled. 

That being said, I love everything by Jules_ink, especially What happened in Vegas, which is beautiful. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, RussianRoulette said:

On a positive note, I did like the mystery of the flashbacks/ memories (at first) and how what happened was slowly distilled. 

I think plot-wise there's a good story buried under three thousand layers of tangents and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many characters.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, AyChihuahua said:

As an aside, for me I've always known he can change, bc in many ways he has... She had every reason in the world to think he'd learned not to lie to her and shut her out in S3. It's frustrating to me as a viewer, so I imagine it'd be incredibly, unbearably, frustrating to her. 

I like your entire post but these points specifically. I like what the show did when Felicity said she was hurt when she said he couldn't change. But frankly who wouldn't be disillusioned after all the nonsense Oliver has pulled over the 4 years she knew him. I thought at first I'd want to see her apologize but really what would she be apologizing for? That he fell into the same trap he always does and she didn't allow it? 

It would probably hurt even more because he was being open and honest. She probably questioned the entire time they were together. 

Eh. 

Edited by Password
  • Love 5

The fic with the tag "Laurel is the love of Oliver's life" (and btws, lesbians just need one good dick to turn straight) has a 2nd chapter and this time I am not commenting. I did have two margaritas, but no flame wars with idiot Trumpsters tonight, so I am not in a bad mood and shall keep my opinion off her (moderated) comment board.

I got around to reading the FiCoN update and I think in addition to the extremely long chapters bothering me, I have reached a point in the story where I need them to just pick a course. Now they are juggling 3 storylines that I basically don't care about from the TV show because of the TV show. I realized I am over the need to be rescuing TQ again, Flash ruined Zoom and then there is the whole MM situation. Honestly, I just want them to wrap up the villain part of the story and just get around to the fluff. I'm really getting tired of spending 90 minutes reading one chapter of everyone being in mortal danger, again. Part of me feels I should just let the chapters build and catch up when its all done, but the chapters are so long I feel like I would never finish. I don't usually like to complain about FanFic because I'm grateful people are brave enough to share their stories, but this one has fallen off the rails and yet it still has so much promise from a character perspective I can't just walk away. I'm really torn about how to proceed with this fic. It's plottiness is starting to ruin my experience.

11 hours ago, Thundercatmary said:

Darn I was looking forward to your comments. :p

I'm usually much more polite than that. I was just really in a mood. The reality-denial going on in U.S. politics is killing me, so that author's reality-denial set me off. It's more likely that McKenna is the love of Oliver's life than that Laurel is. At least there's no evidence contradicting that hypothesis, whereas there's ten years of in-show evidence contradicting the hypothesis that Laurel is.

1 hour ago, kismet said:

I got around to reading the FiCoN update and I think in addition to the extremely long chapters bothering me, I have reached a point in the story where I need them to just pick a course. Now they are juggling 3 storylines that I basically don't care about from the TV show because of the TV show. I realized I am over the need to be rescuing TQ again, Flash ruined Zoom and then there is the whole MM situation. Honestly, I just want them to wrap up the villain part of the story and just get around to the fluff. I'm really getting tired of spending 90 minutes reading one chapter of everyone being in mortal danger, again. Part of me feels I should just let the chapters build and catch up when its all done, but the chapters are so long I feel like I would never finish. I don't usually like to complain about FanFic because I'm grateful people are brave enough to share their stories, but this one has fallen off the rails and yet it still has so much promise from a character perspective I can't just walk away. I'm really torn about how to proceed with this fic. It's plottiness is starting to ruin my experience.

As someone who dropped the fic a while ago because the plottiness and lack of plot movement was annoying me - amongst other things that I'm pretty sure I've mentioned a few times haha - personally I'd stop and read it once it's finished. I'm sure it will be fifty plus chapters by then but at least you won't be frustrated week after week. It was too much for me, which is a shame because those first couple of chapters were so good and held such promise. Quit while you're ahead! :)

(edited)

Hey, did everyone know that Felicity totally owes Oliver an apology? And Curtis is going to make darn sure she realizes how very awful she was to poor li'l Oliver?

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7274317

So incredibly disappointed in the author.

Update: she deleted the story. It'd be cool if that was due to an actual change of heart, but I kind of doubt it. Last I saw there were no mean comments, although there were certainly some disagreeing with the premise.

Just to get it out of my system, here's the list of bad things Oliver did re the BMD: (1) lied to Felicity's face when she asked what was up (both timelines); (2) visited the kid and lied to Felicity's face about it; (3) continued lying to Felicity when he knew Malcolm FREAKING Merlyn knew, even though MM had just vowed revenge on Oliver for cutting off his hand and taking away the LOA; (4) continuing to lie to Felicity when Thea found out; (5) making it so Felicity had to find out from a freaking villain, at a pretty low point in her life; (6) failing to apologize TO FELICITY even though he apologized TO DIGGLE (I MEAN WHAT THE HELL?!?); (7) introducing Felicity to Baby Mama as just one of his friends; (8) expecting Felicity to make nice with Baby Mama in the lair (which she did, bc she's awesome, but he shouldn't have expected anything beyond bare cold decent manners); and (9) not so much as CHATTING with Felicity, his future WIFE, about what to do about the dumb kid, despite discussing it with both Diggle, his friend (NOT HIS FUTURE SPOUSE) and Vixen, a WORK ACQUAINTANCE. Seriously, think about that...he's happy to discuss what to do with his kid with a woman he's interacted with a couple times and whose PHONE NUMBER HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE BUT NOT HIS FUTURE WIFE WHO PROBABLY HAS AN OPINION ON WHETHER HE CAN/SHOULD HAVE CHILDREN IN HIS LIFE SINCE SHE WOULD HAVE PRESUMABLY BEEN THE MOTHER OF AT LEAST SOME OF THOSE CHILDREN AND WHOSE FATHER ALSO ABANDONED HER MY GOD STOP MAKING ME THINK ABOUT THIS HELLISH STORYLINE!

Deep breath.

Okay, now here's a list of "bad" things Felicity did re the BMD: (1) broke up with Oliver, in a quiet, calm manner, after helping him find his kid and being really nice to that lying hag of a baby mama, and not spilling the secret after Darhk, who paralyzed her, spilled it to her in a cruel fashion.

Remind me, how does Felicity bear any of the blame of the breakup?

Edited by AyChihuahua
BMD RAGE MY GOD THE RAGE
  • Love 13
(edited)
1 hour ago, EmeraldArcher said:

@AyChihuahua, who was the fic author? The story was already deleted when I clicked on the link up thread. Your post about being disappointed made me think this was a well-known author for whom this seemed like an anomaly.

The one who's writing Remarkable, the S1 rewrite that I've enjoyed. I'm out now, though. She lost my trust. The story had Curtis pretty hardcore ripping into Felicity about how horrible she was to Oliver and how she deserves to lose him and him moving on is all her fault for being such a meanie. Then she goes to Oliver and pretty much prostrates herself at his feet and begs for his forgiveness. It was utter and total horseshit. Wait, horseshit is relatively pleasant...it was vulture shit. We're talking partially-digested-carrion-turned-into-fecal-matter levels of pissing me off.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher said:

@AyChihuahua, who was the fic author? The story was already deleted when I clicked on the link up thread. Your post about being disappointed made me think this was a well-known author for whom this seemed like an anomaly.

Author was tsukikomew, I haven't read her other fic yet, and now I probably won't knowing this is how she feels about the break up. 

(edited)
10 hours ago, looptab said:

aibxqyqj5vspcgijdx6z.jpg

LOL

I love their creativity. And the fact that they spend so much time creating things for stuff they hate. Wish I had that kind of time and dedication. 

It's not here but my favorite lately is the Felicitypoint instead of Flashpoint. LMAO. Classic. Well done!

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Angel12d said:

I love their creativity. And the fact that they spend so much time creating things for stuff they hate. Wish I had that kind of time and dedication. 

It's not here but my favorite lately is the Felicitypoint instead of Flashpoint. LMAO. Classic. Well done!

I wish I knew how to do this stuff. Instead my only talent is ranting.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Got recommended this and it's been an interesting read. Only 3 entries so far and the last one is very good, IMO. Nicely evoked the awkwardness and tension: Five Times Someone Totally Got Mayor Queen and Felicity Smoak's Relationship Wrong (and one time they were exactly right

Lol the second chapter is VERY apropos... Reminds me of some of the insults that were flung at Felicity in season 3/4 

(edited)

So I was reading Monsters in the Dark and it got me wondering... If you had to choose an animal that epitomizes each character,  what would they be? 

Felicity - Lioness - fiercely protective, gets shit done, dominant, takes down prey with skill
Oliver - Wolf - Tends to do things alone, instinctive, loyal, capable of puppy dog eyes
Diggle - Bear - powerful, intelligent, generally gentle until provoked, protective
Thea - I'm not sure about her... Hmmm

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1

@wonderwall - agree with your other spirit animal choices. Having not read the fic, I'm going rogue here and relying purely on instinct & google.

The first animal that came to my mind for Thea was a Black Panther. Perhaps its her eyes & actual feline-esque feature - but also her speed. TQ has always felt cat-like to her tendency to crave independence and yet be affectionate & needy when she chooses. Plus she walks into a room and feels like she owns it. But there is a hidden power in TQ that made me think of big cats & stealth. Interestingly when I googled Black Panther as spirit animal I found out that it includes:

"astral travel, guardian energy, symbol of the feminine, death and rebirth, understanding of death, reclaiming ones power, ability to know the dark, aggressiveness and power without solar influence, reclaiming Power." A panther spirit animal stands for courage, valor and power. As a spirit animal, a black panther allows people to see the shadow powers in all, acknowledge them and then use them to help eliminate one's fears & darkness. It also is derived from the mother, which I think is also part of Thea's character. Most of the strength and power I see in TQ comes from MQ not MM. In fact, I see very little of MM in TQ.

So after my google search, I feel like the Black Panther is the perfect spirit animal for Thea. For me I guess my instincts where accurate.

• Love 1