Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I started reading "The First 48" and I'm enjoying it.

Reveal hidden contents

It seems too obvious that Cooper is the mole so now I'm wondering if he's a red herring.

i'm enjoying it too and the bird stuff is hilarious

32 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

i'm enjoying it too and the bird stuff is hilarious

I like it when AUs manage to include small details from the show, kinda like in-jokes for readers. Like in this one, I admit I laughed when Felicity was talking about Laurel's phone and said she didn't notice anything other than a lot of online shopping for belt buckles :P

I find the bird stuff a bit weird.

Spoiler

I thought the bird detail had something to do with Laurel, but with WD and Maseo in the mix, that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe it's the kid's favorite animal? Pet?

53 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I started reading "The First 48" and I'm enjoying it.

Reveal hidden contents

It seems too obvious that Cooper is the mole so now I'm wondering if he's a red herring.

The most recent chapter 

Spoiler

Brought Ray back into the story while pushing Cooper into the far background.

I can't tell if the author did it because everyone suspected Cooper and said it was too obvious.  Or because Cooper was the obvious red herring and she's now giving Ray some time so that we can be surprised when Nice Guy Ray turns out to be the mole.

Who knows, maybe the author hasn't figured it out yet either?

28 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Who knows, maybe the author hasn't figured it out yet either?

I hope she has.  Generally speaking, if the author written it already, or even planned it out before posting, I find it's a better story.  Tighter, not to mention more likely to be finished before she/he gives up on it.

14 minutes ago, TrueMyth said:

Hey all!  I don't know how many of you are still looking for it, but I finally have part two of The Love Thieves ready to post.  Chapter five is with my beta readers now, so I hope to start posting once a week starting Saturday. Yay, spies!

I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TrueMyth said:

Thank you, @bijoux, @wonderwall, and @Mellowyellow!  It's up now.  I hope that it's worth the wait.  Chapter Two will be from Oliver's PoV, so look for that next Saturday.

I've been pimping you out on Twitter lol

I really loved the chapter! Honestly it's about time we see Oliver's perspective on this! I was really curious about his thought process even though I already know why he acted and did whatever he did. I'd just like to see how in love with Felicity he is already lol

• Love 1
(edited)

@TrueMyth I finally had my cake and tea and read your story. 

I've left a comment but wanted to add something else here that may seem rude to other writers. I just love your writing style and you are able to convey so much without going on and on and on forever.

I tend to skim read when someone gets long winded with their descriptions. Yours are perfect for me!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 2

Thanks for your comment both here and there, @Mellowyellow!

I sometimes feel inadequate regarding my word count, but I myself sometimes scan long descriptions or navel-gazing internal monologues.  But I don't want to be Hemmingway, either. ;)

Hey, what do you guys think of Ko-Fi? I see some Arrow writers have opened accounts, and I'm really not sure what to make of it.  On the one hand, there are totally writers who I would buy a coffee for, you know?  I mean, mostly as an excuse to get them to sit in a cafe while I probe them with questions about their head canons and such, but I like the idea.  On the other, I'm a long-in-the-tooth fangirl and I remember getting money for fic as kind of a bad thing.  Thoughts?

I'm kinda half ok with it and half not. On one hand I don't think it hurts anyone. People are free to give money to whoever or whatever cause they like. And some of these writers/artsy people are really good at what they do so why shouldn't they earn money while doing it. 

The old fashioned asian in me is really weird about the idea of asking strangers for money (total NONONO in our culture) so I think it's more my old fuddyduddyness that is uncomfortable with it.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, TrueMyth said:

Hey, what do you guys think of Ko-Fi? I see some Arrow writers have opened accounts, and I'm really not sure what to make of it.  On the one hand, there are totally writers who I would buy a coffee for, you know?  I mean, mostly as an excuse to get them to sit in a cafe while I probe them with questions about their head canons and such, but I like the idea.  On the other, I'm a long-in-the-tooth fangirl and I remember getting money for fic as kind of a bad thing.  Thoughts?

Wow, this is the first I'm hearing about it! Yeah, I don't know. To me it's just another thing like Patreon - people trying to get paid for their hobbies / trying to turn something they enjoy doing into something that earns money.

The thing is - it's one thing getting money for content that you've unambiguously created, but fanfiction is still very much a grey area in terms of copyright, etc. There's still many people, including some fanfic creators, who think that writing fanfic constitutes copyright infringement - now this isn't the case, and AJ Hall (UK lawyer IRL, legionseagle on dreamwidth) once had a detailed, legal explanation why it isn't. However, once you bring money into it, things change - and not for the better for fanfic writers.

It's like the Kindle Worlds thing - sure, sign up with Amazon to get money for your fanfic. Signed up? Good. Now, you can't write anything erotic, you can only write in these specific fandoms, and by the way: we own your ass. Have fun with your dollar!

Also, some people are treating this like a gofundme, predictably enough.

• Love 6

I'm not a fan of the ko-fi links, both because I write pro fiction but also because I came of age during the era of the super-long disclaimers.  People had those "please, please don't sue us authors and media companies!" disclaimers because takedowns used to happen at the behest of Anne Rice, Warner Brothers, etc., and huge swaths of really great fanfic would just disappear.  Ao3 helped us stake our claim to fanfic an other derivative works, but only if it were for free.  In addition, speaking as a fiction writer who would be surprised and delighted if someone decided to write fanfic based on my books, I would have a huge problem if someone decided to make money playing in the universe I created.  I  wouldn't personally pursue legal action, but my publisher might--they paid money for the rights and have a lot of lawyers. The big media companies look at fanworks as a form of unofficial marketing, but that would probably change if money came into the picture.  

• Love 13

I finally cracked and clicked on A Soul Lost at Sea. The author gave Oliver 

Spoiler

six sisters besides Thea, one of them being Laurel, and the other five original characters? Do these girls/women play an important role in the fic? Why is there so many of them? And why Laurel?

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Hide contents

six sisters besides Thea, one of them being Laurel, and the other five original characters? Do these girls/women play an important role in the fic? Why is there so many of them? And why Laurel?

Spoiler

more like emotional motivation for Oliver, and even then only really Thea is really playing a big role, but idk why Laurel. 

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Reveal hidden contents

Let me know if you find out because I was unable to get into this fic. It also might be because I can't deal with all the etiquette and social behavior anachronisms. 

• Love 1

I've been meaning to give A Soul Lost at Sea a try.  It's an historical AU, right?

Spoiler

Maybe the writer is going for a Pride and Prejudice feel?  Is one of the sisters Sara?  Seems odd to have Laurel without Sara in a sisterly role.

Thanks for the opinions on Ko-Fi.  It does tread close to payment for fic, even though the conceit of "buy them a coffee" is nice and people aren't supposed to get any special access to content or even gift for a particular fic that is already out for public consumption.  So I guess that's the legal wiggle room.  Still, I came up reading X-files fanfic.  Disclaimers were ART in that fandom.  So it feels super weird.

I could see it if you are publishing a rough draft original fic in serial and putting the button out there, but you'd need to read the ToS of whatever blog you use very closely.

I wouldn't even know about Ko-Fi if Scu11y22 on Tumblr hadn't added it to her FicBridge list.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, TrueMyth said:

I've been meaning to give A Soul Lost at Sea a try.  It's an historical AU, right?

Hide contents

Maybe the writer is going for a Pride and Prejudice feel?  Is one of the sisters Sara?  Seems odd to have Laurel without Sara in a sisterly role.

Yup, A Soul Lost at Sea is a Victorian AU. As for the spoiler tagged part, nope. It's 

Spoiler

Thea, Laurel and five other girls who have nothing to do with the show.

Caitlin is Felicity's younger sister, and Isabel and Helena are their maids. Felicity and those two just showed up and everything is kind of off.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I'm not a fan of the ko-fi links, both because I write pro fiction but also because I came of age during the era of the super-long disclaimers.  People had those "please, please don't sue us authors and media companies!" disclaimers because takedowns used to happen at the behest of Anne Rice, Warner Brothers, etc., and huge swaths of really great fanfic would just disappear.  Ao3 helped us stake our claim to fanfic an other derivative works, but only if it were for free.  In addition, speaking as a fiction writer who would be surprised and delighted if someone decided to write fanfic based on my books, I would have a huge problem if someone decided to make money playing in the universe I created.  I  wouldn't personally pursue legal action, but my publisher might--they paid money for the rights and have a lot of lawyers. The big media companies look at fanworks as a form of unofficial marketing, but that would probably change if money came into the picture.  

Thanks for your perspective. I was wondering about the copyright/fair use issue. I would think that AO3 would not allow the posting of those links just to be safe. I think putting the link in the fic itself as opposed to putting it in social media for author fans are also two different things. 

• Love 1

After finishing the first chapter of A Soul Lost at Sea, I'm uncertain about continuing. Oliver's side of the story holds promise and it reflects the start of the show pretty well. Felicity's so fardoes not. She came off as a typical annoying 'spirited' brat. I think my continuing the story hinges on this - does she turn exceptional later on in the story? Because Felicity of the show is exceptional and there is no reason why that can't be adapted to another time period. There are some flickers of that, an implied thirst for knowledge, but I'm not really sure it's going to catch fire.

Spoiler

I mean,that thirst could be demonstrated in better ways than filching some newspapers and eavesdropping on the maids. And give her some other argument for refusing to marry aside from, I thought I'd be more useful to you and mother. Terrific, give me something specific, is she coming up with ways of improving on farming techniques or maybe inventing something for Noah's factory? I don't even know how the Smoaks got rich, but manufacture seems like a possibility and that could be a terrific way to use Felicity's smarts. Right now it's just, nope, don't wanna marry, just gonna run around the fields and laze about. Dude, Felicity does not laze about. She craves activity, especially mental.

8 minutes ago, bijoux said:

After finishing the first chapter of A Soul Lost at Sea, I'm uncertain about continuing. Oliver's side of the story holds promise and it reflects the start of the show pretty well. Felicity's so fardoes not. She came off as a typical annoying 'spirited' brat. I think my continuing the story hinges on this - does she turn exceptional later on in the story? Because Felicity of the show is exceptional and there is no reason why that can't be adapted to another time period. There are some flickers of that, an implied thirst for knowledge, but I'm not really sure it's going to catch fire.

Hide contents

I mean,that thirst could be demonstrated in better ways than filching some newspapers and eavesdropping on the maids. And give her some other argument for refusing to marry aside from, I thought I'd be more useful to you and mother. Terrific, give me something specific, is she coming up with ways of improving on farming techniques or maybe inventing something for Noah's factory? I don't even know how the Smoaks got rich, but manufacture seems like a possibility and that could be a terrific way to use Felicity's smarts. Right now it's just, nope, don't wanna marry, just gonna run around the fields and laze about. Dude, Felicity does not laze about. She craves activity, especially mental.

Spoiler

Not that I remember. But she is very OOC..the Felicity in the fic is frivolous..

• Love 1

That's too bad.  I love a good historical romance, and I feel like there are ways to make Felicity work in a historical setting.

I'm sad that I'll never have time to write my Robin Hood AU.  I have everyone recast in my head, and Felicity was hard, but I figured she could be a ward of the crown (therefore the connection that Marion normally has to the crown) and fostered with Moira and Walter, but she was raised in a convent for most her childhood and educated there.  This is where it gets a little historically wonky, but building on the idea of language as a code itself, I'd make her a polyglot genius, someone who was trained in many-many languages and able to translate or even decode other texts given enough time to study them.  Therefore Oliver can still get help from her decoding the Floyd Lawton equivalent's notebook.  John Diggle is very similar to Morgan Freeman's Azeem in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and Felicity's secret origin is that Noah is a spymaster for the crown and her mother was Jewish, making Felicity ethnically Jewish and curious about her history, thereby making OTA a triumvirate of the religions at the time, which tickled me...

Ehem.  Yeah.  I've thought way too much about that AU to write anything more than an epic, and I've already taken on The Love Thieves, so it will probably never happen.  But let me know if any of YOU are interested in writing it!  I will happily share my dramatis personae and plot outline for the first "season."  *cough*

I'll show myself out.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:
  Hide contents

Not that I remember. But she is very OOC..the Felicity in the fic is frivolous..

34 minutes ago, Hiveminder said:

The Felicity in that fic is a straight up idiot. Later on 

Hide contents

Oliver keeps her locked in a room on the boat she stowaways on, and I can't help but think that's a really smart plan.

Sigh. So that's a no on continuing. Which is too bad, because as I said, Oliver holds promise in the beginning. There's the running away from responsibility as a motivating factor for getting on a boat in the past, being willing to do whatever it takes to survive and get back to his family, and the inability to assimilate when he does. If only Felicity seemed remotely Felicity-like.

@TrueMyth, I absolutely agree that Felicity can work in a historical setting. It's not like brilliant women haven't existed throughout time. I'm not volunteering to take on your project, but I'll be the first in line to read it when you get around to it. ?

• Love 1

I'm enjoying A Soul Lost at Sea for the most part as something to read to past the time but my biggest objections would have to be that I'd wished their had been a more interesting premise to Oliver and Felicity falling in love with each other instead of one glance at a picture or one look at each other and there instantly soul mates.

Pride and Prejudice is beloved because Elizabeth and Darcy don't fall in love with each other instantly but slowly overtime while adjusting and growing out of their own personal flaws and prejudices in their love. 

23 minutes ago, bijoux said:

@TrueMyth, I absolutely agree that Felicity can work in a historical setting. It's not like brilliant women haven't existed throughout time. I'm not volunteering to take on your project, but I'll be the first in line to read it when you get around to it. ?

Yes, Ada Lovelace was working in the Victorian Age so absolutely it works. @TrueMyth, that story idea sounds outstanding! I hope you get to it one day. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I really enjoy ASLAS mostly because I think the author writes the build up of UST really well. But yeah, Felicity is very OOC and there are certain things that are pretty frustrating. But it helps that I've pretty much detached her from being show Felicity tbh and I'm just enjoying it as a complete AU.

Edited by Guest

@TrueMyth, I made a huge mistake reading "The Love Thieves." Because now I'm totally obsessed and want the next chapter like right now, this second! :P Seriously, I really enjoyed the first part. I debated whether to start the second part or wait until you were all done. I spent a whole 20 seconds debating this with myself. Great job!

• Love 2

I enjoy ASLAS too but it is one of those ones where I skim read certain paragraphs. 

I don't care that it's OOC because the author writes really well. I loved her Oliver on Vacation fic and the characters were totally non Arrowish in that one but it was still a really good story.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE our show Felicity so much I don't feel like any fanfic version of her has lived up to the real thing. But in that vein I am pretty easy going with any random Felicity-ish version of Felicity. Especially in an AU where a completely different set of circumstances will make them behave differently anyway.

7 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I don't care that it's OOC because the author writes really well. I loved her Oliver on Vacation fic and the characters were totally non Arrowish in that one but it was still a really good story.

I think with this particular fic, the historical romance genre has quite a lot of random nobleman pirate + feisty heiroine options of varying degrees of quality so that by itself isn't enough to hold my interest. To each their own and all that. 

1 minute ago, leopardprint said:

I think with this particular fic, the historical romance genre has quite a lot of random nobleman pirate + feisty heiroine options of varying degrees of quality so that by itself isn't enough to hold my interest. To each their own and all that

Oh I totally get ya!

There are a few fics that have been quite loved by others where I'm like "OMG Felicity just goes on and on and on in her head about her angst. Why so much freaking angst? Get on with it and stop wallowing woman!!!!!"

I am more tolerant of silly spirited heroine than depressing thoughtful heroine full of freaking angst but that's just how I roll! 

• Love 2

Our Version of Events updated finally! I would link but I'm on my iPad and am too lazy. ☺️

Felicity can work in a historical setting.  A really good one is The Dark Prodigal by pulpklatura.  It's a good story set in 1812 rather than 2012 with Oliver returning after five years to avenge his father's murder.  Felicity writes unbreakable ciphers (codes) under a secret identity. Slade kidnaps her to force him to write him a cipher and Sara lives in Bath running the Birds of Prey saving women, visited occasionally by her lover Nyssa who is with the Ottoman diplomatic contingent.  She does a ton of research on everything, including what would be the social situation of Joe and Iris West, I finally know just what a dogcart is.  The downside is that she stopped updating last August, leaving Felicity in Slade's nefarious hands.

SuchaPrettyPoison has just posted An Officer and The Computer, set in WWII.  Felicity is the computer.

Writewithurheart is writing In Starling Green, a Robin Hood Au with some interesting characters in familiar roles.

A while back, there was a discussion of what is a deal-breaker in terms of fic.  For me, it's historical inaccuracy.  I made it through the behaviour of Oliver's parents, the multiple sisters that they are making no attempt to marry off well, Felicity listening at doors to the maid's  gossping and the one month "Get to know you"  at the near-sighted aunt's house (that never would have happened in real life).  A Soul Lost At Sea finally lost me when Felicity and Oliver went on a picnic unchaperoned and she didn't wear stockings (or underwear I think) so that Oliver could caress her legs.

I liked her Oliver-on-vacation fic, but I could not get past the historical inaccuracies of ASLAS .

• Love 1
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

A while back, there was a discussion of what is a deal-breaker in terms of fic.  For me, it's historical inaccuracy.  I made it through the behaviour of Oliver's parents, the multiple sisters that they are making no attempt to marry off well, Felicity listening at doors to the maid's  gossping and the one month "Get to know you"  at the near-sighted aunt's house (that never would have happened in real life).  A Soul Lost At Sea finally lost me when Felicity and Oliver went on a picnic unchaperoned and she didn't wear stockings (or underwear I think) so that Oliver could caress her legs.

I liked her Oliver-on-vacation fic, but I could not get past the historical inaccuracies of ASLAS .

Yeah, that I fear is what has happened to me too with this fic.  I never thought I'd paid much attention to the rules of historical fiction but I'm constantly in that fic going, well, that would never happen or imagining how they'd really react if the character's understood how much of an insult some of the stuff happening would be considered and that's just on minor things like how people would walk into dinner. Oliver's back story was actually pretty great and I did like some of the explanations for Felicity's more unorthodox behavior, having begun her childhood in near poverty (which apparently made her refuse to ever wear underwear?) and I even got past Laurel being Oliver's oldest sister, but I just can't handle how wrong the author is getting broad sweeping social norms, at times even going the other direction and being TOO strict about contact allowed between men and women.  

I may or may not continue to read it but I've already decided that I'm going to have to pretend it's an AU set on an alternate earth that had it's own set of rules rather than view it as historical.

(edited)

Wait, so I haven't read ASLaS yet (I try to hold off for completion if I don't know/trust the writer), but it's set in the mid 1800's, right?  What exactly is Felicity refusing to wear under her dress?  I mean, it wasn't uncommon for women to be crotchless back then.  And what we think of as underwear or panties didn't show up until the last century.  Now she would have needed to wear something, but there wasn't much besides yards of fabric between a girl and the wide world.  The regency period was even more wild.  This article has some great images from the time, showing, even with the petticoat or chemise the dresses could be quite revealing, even to the eye.  Are they wearing hoop dresses in ASLaS?

Now going alone with a gentleman on a picnic, that would be crazy.

Edited by TrueMyth
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, TrueMyth said:

Wait, so I haven't read ASLaS yet (I try to hold off for completion if I don't know/trust the writer), but it's set in the mid 1800's, right?  What exactly is Felicity refusing to wear under her dress?  I mean, it wasn't uncommon for women to be crotchless back then.  And what we think of as underwear or panties didn't show up until the last century.  Now she would have needed to wear something, but there wasn't much besides yards of fabric between a girl and the wide world.  The regency period was even more wild.  This article has some great images from the time, showing, even with the petticoat or chemise the dresses could be quite revealing, even to the eye.  Are they wearing hoop dresses in ASLaS?

Now going alone with a gentleman on a picnic, that would be crazy.

I believe it's set in the Victorian era but I'd have to go check

(edited)

I just checked and the story begins in 1852, so definitely Victorian.

ETA: speaking of the picnicing alone historical inaccuracies I was watching the Victoria miniseries with Jenna Coleman which mind you I love, but I had to laugh at the fact that her and Albert regularly before they were married and even after they were married would be out and about  Pi icing or doing things unescorted by servants, ladies in waiting, and royal protection/guards. Like no way would the Queen of England go anywhere without at least 10 other people with her. 

I also laugh how how they try and cash in on the Downton Abbey craze by showing the servants hall and the servants lives- but make it seem like BUCKINGHAM PALACE is run by like 6 people!!!! She would have had at least 100-200 servants if not more.

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Felicity can work in a historical setting.  A really good one is The Dark Prodigal by pulpklatura.  It's a good story set in 1812 rather than 2012 with Oliver returning after five years to avenge his father's murder.  Felicity writes unbreakable ciphers (codes) under a secret identity. Slade kidnaps her to force him to write him a cipher and Sara lives in Bath running the Birds of Prey saving women, visited occasionally by her lover Nyssa who is with the Ottoman diplomatic contingent.  She does a ton of research on everything, including what would be the social situation of Joe and Iris West, I finally know just what a dogcart is.  The downside is that she stopped updating last August, leaving Felicity in Slade's nefarious hands.

SuchaPrettyPoison has just posted An Officer and The Computer, set in WWII.  Felicity is the computer.

Writewithurheart is writing In Starling Green, a Robin Hood Au with some interesting characters in familiar roles.

Thanks. Those sound really interesting, especially the first one. The world building seems impressive. Too bad it's not being updated. :(

47 minutes ago, TrueMyth said:

In chapter 1, Felicity mentions scratchy fabrics and "knickers". For all I know, the author could mean a Bridget Jones type deal. I have no idea. Plus, Noah is super rich. Buy non-scratchy underwear, Felicity! Or hey, try and go about inventing a better quality material.

I'm finding it more and more that I just can't with a fic if the writer doesn't tap into Felicity's smarts. That's her defining feature to me. Plus, Oliver here really does seem interesting and I have no clue what he'd want with a ditzy chit like this.

• Love 2

I loved Victoria, too! I admit, those woodland wanderings didn't seem as off as  they should have.  Maybe because they were cousins?  I wonder if that is part of the reason that cousin marriage was more frequent.

I did check the first chapter of ASLaS before posting and it had 1852 as a date, which is right when drawers/pants started to be more common, but even then, most were crotchless.  Imagine using a chamber pot in a full skirt, especially a hoop skirt!